2012 Vidor Pirates Team Preview

[center][img]http://txhshelmetproject.com/TexasHighSchools/V/Vidor.png[/img][/center]

[center][size=18pt][b][u][i]VIDOR PIRATES[/i][/u][/B][/size][/center]
[center][b][size=12pt]2011 Record: 10-3 Overall, 5-2 District (3rd Place in District 20-4A)[/center]

[size=12pt]Many who laud high school sports do so for the life lessons that it teaches.  Nowhere was there a clearer example of that than in Vidor.  After greiving the tragic loss of a teammate in Matt Thomas, Jeff Matthews' Pirates set out in pursuit of their goal, a playoff berth.  Not only did they reach that goal but also brought Vidor its first football playoff victories since the Lyndon Johnson administration.  The Pirates, with fifteen returning starters, intend on showing that last year was no fluke.

[b][u][size=14pt]Coaching Staff[/u][/b]

[size=12pt][b]Head Coach: Jeff Mathews[/b]
Coaching Record:  59-72 overall and at Vidor

[b]Assistant Coaches:[/b]

Dwayne Dubois, Offensive Coordinator; Richard Robinson, Defensive Coordinator; Dan Welch, Offensive Line; Rodney Burks, Linebackers; R.C. Wilson, Ends; David Wallace, Running Backs; T.J. Light, Defensive Line; Rex Humberson, Secondary; Darin Fletcher, Outside Linebackers

[b][u][size=14pt]Stadium Information*[/u][/b]

[size=12pt][b]Home Stadium: Ivan Croak Field at Pirate Stadium[/b]
Address: 500 Orange St., Vidor, Texas 77662
Capacity: 9600
Playing surface: Natural

[b][u][size=14pt]2011 Results[/u][/b]

[table][tr][td][size=12pt][b][color=black]Opponent[/td][td]    [/td][td][size=12pt][b][color=black]Score[/td][/tr]
[tr][td][size=12pt][color=black]Texarkana, Texas[/td][td]    [/td][td][size=12pt][color=black]30-27[/td][/tr]
[tr][td][size=12pt][color=black]Bridge City[/td][td]    [/td][td][size=12pt][color=black]21-6[/td][/tr]
[tr][td][size=12pt][color=black]Kirbyville[/td][td]    [/td][td][size=12pt][color=black]35-7[/td][/tr]
[tr][td][size=12pt][color=black]Nederland#[/td][td]    [/td][td][size=12pt][color=black]19-22[/td][/tr]
[tr][td][size=12pt][color=black]Lumberton#[/td][td]    [/td][td][size=12pt][color=black]30-26[/td][/tr]
[tr][td][size=12pt][color=black]Beaumont Ozen[/td][td]    [/td][td][size=12pt][color=black]21-14[/td][/tr]
[tr][td][size=12pt][color=black]Little Cypress-Mauriceville#[/td][td]    [/td][td][size=12pt][color=black]36-14[/td][/tr]
[tr][td][size=12pt][color=black]Beaumont Central#[/td][td]    [/td][td][size=12pt][color=black]28-15[/td][/tr]
[tr][td][size=12pt][color=black]Port Neches-Groves#[/td][td]    [/td][td][size=12pt][color=black]15-22[/td][/tr]
[tr][td][size=12pt][color=black]Livingston#[/td][td]    [/td][td][size=12pt][color=black]35-27[/td][/tr]
[tr][td][size=12pt][color=black]Crosby##[/td][td]    [/td][td][size=12pt][color=black]42-20[/td][/tr]
[tr][td][size=12pt][color=black]Montgomery##[/td][td]    [/td][td][size=12pt][color=black]42-35[/td][/tr]
[tr][td][size=12pt][color=black]Angleton##[/td][td]    [/td][td][size=12pt][color=black]30-55[/td][/tr]
[/table]

[size=12pt]# - District games
## - Playoff games

[size=14pt][b][u]2012 Offense[/u][/b][/size]

[size=12pt][b]Offense: Slot-T
Returning starters: 6[/b]

Key amongst the six returning starters will be senior quarterback Montana Quirante (20-50, 367 yd, 1 TD passing; 149 carries, 1033 yd, 20 TD rushing).  Returning to join Quirante in the Pirate backfield will be junior running back Jeremy Stephenson (39 carries, 208 yd in 2011). Running back T.J. Novak (8 carries, 30 yd) and fullback Justin Moore (10 carries, 60 yards) will fill out the remainder of the Vidor backfield.  When Quirante does go to the air, he will be looking for split end Colby Sciarilla ( 2 catches, 68 yd, 1 TD in 2011) and tight end Jon Smith (15 catches, 283 yd, 2 TD).  Guard Deven Asher and tackle Jeremiah Johnson will return to anchor the Pirate offensive line.

[size=14pt][b][u]2012 Defense[/u][/b][/size]

[size=12pt][b]Defense: 3-3-5
Returning starters: 9[/b]

Coach Mathews will enjoy a wealth of returning experience as nine starters return from the 2010 Vidor defense.  As with the offense, Quirante, an all state honorable mention pick at linebacker, will be the leader on defense.  Joining him on the linebacker corp will be Michael Godeaux (2nd team all district) and Alex Boutte.  They will be supporting a defensive line which returns ends Smith and Blake Dahlenburg and nose guard Brad Hartman.  Corners Quiten Whitmire (1st team all district) and Austin Rodriguez, as well as safety Bryce Cooper (2nd team all district), will anchor the Pirate secondary.

[size=14pt][b][u]2012 Special Teams[/u][/b][/size]

Quirante will again handle the punting duties for Vidor.  Cooper and Stephenson will be the primary returners.

[size=14pt][b][u]2012 Key Games[/u][/b][/size]

Vidor will host Santa Fe to begin the 2012 season on August 31st.  The Pirates will travel to Nederland on September 28th to begin 20-4A play.  The Pirates will finish the regular season in Orange as they take on Little Cypress-Mauriceville on November 9th.

[size=14pt][b][u]2012 Schedule[/u][/b][/size]

[table][tr][td][size=12pt][b][color=black]Date[/td][td]    [/td][td][size=12pt][b][color=black]Opponent[/td][td]    [/td][td][size=12pt][b][color=black]Time[/td][/tr]
[tr][td][size=12pt][color=black]Aug. 31[/td][td]    [/td][td][size=12pt][color=black]Santa Fe[/td][td]    [/td][td][size=12pt][color=black]7:30 p.m.[/td][/tr]
[tr][td][size=12pt][color=black]Sept. 7[/td][td]    [/td][td][size=12pt][color=black]at Bridge City[/td][td]    [/td][td][size=12pt][color=black]7:30 p.m.[/td][/tr]
[tr][td][size=12pt][color=black]Sept. 14[/td][td]    [/td][td][size=12pt][color=black]at Clear Brook[/td][td]    [/td][td][size=12pt][color=black]7:30 p.m.[/td][/tr]
[tr][td][size=12pt][color=black]Sept. 21[/td][td]    [/td][td][size=12pt][color=black]OPEN[/td][td]    [/td][td][size=12pt][/td][/tr]
[tr][td][size=12pt][color=black]Sept. 28[/td][td]    [/td][td][size=12pt][color=black] Nederland#[/td][td]    [/td][td][size=12pt][color=black]7:30 p.m.[/td][/tr]
[tr][td][size=12pt][color=black]Oct. 5[/td][td]    [/td][td][size=12pt][color=black]at Beaumont Ozen#[/td][td]    [/td][td][size=12pt][color=black]7:30 p.m.[/td][/tr]
[tr][td][size=12pt][color=black]Oct. 12[/td][td]    [/td][td][size=12pt][color=black]Lumberton#[/td][td]    [/td][td][size=12pt][color=black]7:30 p.m.[/td][/tr]
[tr][td][size=12pt][color=black]Oct. 20[/td][td]    [/td][td][size=12pt][color=black]at Beaumont Central#[/td][td]    [/td][td][size=12pt][color=black]7:30 p.m.[/td][/tr]
[tr][td][size=12pt][color=black]Oct. 26[/td][td]    [/td][td][size=12pt][color=black]Port Neches-Groves#[/td][td]    [/td][td][size=12pt][color=black]7:30 p.m.[/td][/tr]
[tr][td][size=12pt][color=black]Nov. 2[/td][td]    [/td][td][size=12pt][color=black]Livingston#[/td][td]    [/td][td][size=12pt][color=black]7:30 p.m.[/td][/tr]
[tr][td][size=12pt][color=black]Nov. 9[/td][td]    [/td][td][size=12pt][color=black]at Little Cypress-Mauriceville#[/td][td]    [/td][td][size=12pt][color=black]7:30 p.m.[/td][/tr][/table]
[size=12pt]#-District Games

*Source:  Texas Stadium Database:  http://www.texasbob.com/stadium/stadium.php?id=342
Helmets Courtesy of: http://www.txhshelmetproject.com/

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't say enough about Quirante.  You look at him and you don't think much.  But when you see him play, you'll be immediatly sold, especially on the defensive side of the ball. He's in on every tackle and when he gets there, he's bringing you down quickly.  He runs plays down.  He takes good angles at tackles.  He bats down passes on defense.  AND he runs the offense to perfection as he pretty much makes great decisions on that tricky offense.  I look for him to once again be an all state selection on defense.  He sure can get after it!

Guest tigersvoice
[quote name="BMTSoulja1" post="1235344" timestamp="1342101991"]
I can't say enough about Quirante.  You look at him and you don't think much.  But when you see him play, you'll be immediatly sold, especially on the defensive side of the ball. He's in on every tackle and when he gets there, he's bringing you down quickly.  He runs plays down.  He takes good angles at tackles.  He bats down passes on defense.  AND he runs the offense to perfection as he pretty much makes great decisions on that tricky offense.  I look for him to once again be an all state selection on defense.  He sure can get after it!
[/quote]

Very classy post about a player on a competing team.  Well done Soulja. :) 8)

Guest KHS 89
[quote name="BHFAN" post="1235315" timestamp="1342099621"]
Quirante is a Quarter Back, Linebacker and Punter, you better keep that kid bubble wrapped  ;)
[/quote]

This kid is definitely a play maker.  As I have said earlier, I expect to see Vidor in the playoffs this year again.  Would not surprise me if this team gives Nederland a run for the district title. Best of luck to the Pirates this year.

[quote name="Tigersvoice" post="1235374" timestamp="1342108920"]
[quote author=BMTSoulja1 link=topic=100950.msg1235344#msg1235344 date=1342101991]
[/quote]

Very classy post about a player on a competing team.  Well done Soulja. :) 8)
[/quote]Thanks.  8) 8)

[/quote]
great post! +1

The jury is still out on that. We know Nederland and Memorial will be salty.  But you have to look at teams like Central and Ozen.  Central historically have hung their hats on sound defense.  Ozen's defensive intensity stepped up at the end of the season and may carry over to this year as most of that young talent on that side of the ball returns.  Vidor will be in the thick of good defensive teams though, no doubt.

[/quote]

SoulJa, thanks for the great post. Class act and I always feel that the Central / Vidor game is our game of the year. Great rivalry with good hitting. Anyway, you know Montana's my boy but there are several others on that team who will bring some heat this year. Watch Jon Boy Smith who is a definite college prospect along with Austin Rodriguez and Bryce Cooper. Godeaux will be tough at linebacker as well. Stephenson is gonna show as one of the district's top running backs as well. Throw in the guy I think is the best coach in the are and I expect a lot from this Pirate team....and I think they'll deliver.

[/quote]
This right here is the textbook definition of a class act soulja. Can't get no better than this.

I expect many great things from the Pirates this year as well as the Jaguars. I can't wait till we meet on the field again this year. Maybe we can arrange a little meet and greet soulja.  8)

[quote name="PNGFan" post="1236259" timestamp="1342452279"]
Soulja is sucking up to the Vidorians because his Jags cannot seem to beat them.
[/quote]Do you think your Indians will beat them?  My Jags be back to their regular selves next year, so you may want to worry about your Indian's Showdown with Central.  All of your guns are gone.  8)

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    ssiaa
    Newest Member
    ssiaa