*official NBA draft thread*

I think we will get Howard, but not tonight. I think the Rockets will choose players with their picks in order to help their team. I believe the trade will happen shortly after the draft is finalized. Hopefully we keep one of our 1st Round picks, bc Youth is always good...

Great story from the draft.  Iraq War verteran Benard James drafted in the 2nd round.  I hope he can stick with the team.  He will provide a great prospective to some of these young, pampered athletes.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/college/os-bernard-james-florida-state-nba-draft-0628-20120628,0,1184847.story

[quote name="PhatMack19" post="1233328" timestamp="1340941329"]
Got home in time for the 2nd round and to see all of these foreign born guys getting drafted.  I'm not sure why they even bother with drafting these guys that will never play in the league.
[/quote]
They draft them and leave them in Euro leagues. It costs the teams nothing and if a player develops there they can bring them in later. IF they draft a college guy they have to bring them in and hope they pan out, then they have to give them a contract. If they don't and they cut them, they don't owe them anything on a contract but the pick is wasted. It may be wasted on the Euro's but you may get lucky and get a guy that develops. The Rockets have just such a guy coming in this year. Drafted and stashed in Europe, now ready for the NBA.

[quote name="Castor27" post="1233332" timestamp="1340942739"]
[quote author=PhatMack19 link=topic=100754.msg1233328#msg1233328 date=1340941329]
Got home in time for the 2nd round and to see all of these foreign born guys getting drafted.  I'm not sure why they even bother with drafting these guys that will never play in the league.
[/quote]
They draft them and leave them in Euro leagues. It costs the teams nothing and if a player develops there they can bring them in later. IF they draft a college guy they have to bring them in and hope they pan out, then they have to give them a contract. If they don't and they cut them, they don't owe them anything on a contract but the pick is wasted. It may be wasted on the Euro's but you may get lucky and get a guy that develops. The Rockets have just such a guy coming in this year. Drafted and stashed in Europe, now ready for the NBA.
[/quote]

I understand how it works, but a guy that averages 3.8 points in Greece probably isn't going to make it in the league.  I kinda felt for the Knicks fans that waited until the 2nd round for their pick only to have them take a guy that won't be in the NBA for at least 2 years. 

[quote name="PhatMack19" post="1233333" timestamp="1340944856"]
http://www.beaumontenterprise.com/default/article/Port-Arthur-native-J-Covan-Brown-not-drafted-in-3671957.php

J'Covan not drafted
[/quote]

He signed a free agent deal with the Miami Heat.  Good Luck!  Maybe playing with all of those superstars will help him.

congrats j'covan

honestly i like our draft picks from last night. now we just need to make some deals and bring on some key free agents and we will be set.

i really dont like the idea of sending 3-5 players to orlando for a 1 year dwight howard rental. i would rather see them resign camby or try to sign hibbert.

and last but not least, PLEASE TRSDE KEVIN MARTIN!

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder