Will Hull-Daisetta win District in Finney's first year?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="WHALUM" post="1232116" timestamp="1340330821"]
Not NO, but ---- NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You are living in a dream world 55, and you and your beloved bobcats will get a reality check very soon...
[/quote]So by believing my team can win versus notoriously bad teams like WH, Colmesneil and Iola is living in a dream world? Are you kidding me! lol. Blind dog found a huge bone last season, won't happen again for a while. Can't wait!  ;)

Guest tigersvoice
[quote name="H-D BOBCAT 55" post="1232113" timestamp="1340330152"]
In my opinion Yes. Coach Finney has completely changed the culture and rekindled a fire in H-D. The number of football players may very well double. Last season we had 28 players. He is almost magical with his players, never seen anything like it. Go Bobcats!!!
[/quote]

You, Sir, are intoxicated with yourself.  Let's at least let the vaunted Bobcats play a game under their new coach before you crown them "Everything Class 1A."

I am just glad to see 55 back on here. Its been a little to quite. He can push peoples buttons in a second.
There is truth in what he is saying. You will see a big change, how big a change, will be seen the first one or two games.
The HD vs WH is always a good game. It should be played the last game of the season.

I can be accused of sippin' the Finney Kool-Aid as well. I've been around HD football since the 80's, through coaches Dupree, Kimble, Roberts, Copeland, Barbay, and Slack... and I've never seen any of them energize a program and do what Coach Finney has done is such a short amount of time. Mark my words (and I'll be the first one to eat crow if I'm wrong), but barring multiple injuries, Hull-Daisetta will dominate their district and their schedule as a whole this season. I see every game on the schedule this season as a winnable game. I think they sweep their normal 2A rivals in Hardin, Kountze, and Deweyville. I think they win 2 or 3 against the likes of Lovelady, Normangee, Galveston O'Connell, and Groveton, and then roll through their district. West Hardin had a very good team last year, and I'm not knocking them for what they did to HD, but this year will be back to what we're used to. I don't think an 8-2 regular season is far-fetched. Don't wanna create un-due pressure on the team, but with the talent and coaching in place this season, taking it one game at a time, I know that is attainable.

[quote name="HDBobcats9" post="1232166" timestamp="1340369167"]
I can be accused of sippin' the Finney Kool-Aid as well. I've been around HD football since the 80's, through coaches Dupree, Kimble, Roberts, Copeland, Barbay, and Slack... and I've never seen any of them energize a program and do what Coach Finney has done is such a short amount of time. Mark my words (and I'll be the first one to eat crow if I'm wrong), but barring multiple injuries, Hull-Daisetta will dominate their district and their schedule as a whole this season. I see every game on the schedule this season as a winnable game. I think they sweep their normal 2A rivals in Hardin, Kountze, and Deweyville. I think they win 2 or 3 against the likes of Lovelady, Normangee, Galveston O'Connell, and Groveton, and then roll through their district. West Hardin had a very good team last year, and I'm not knocking them for what they did to HD, but this year will be back to what we're used to. I don't think an 8-2 regular season is far-fetched. Don't wanna create un-due pressure on the team, but with the talent and coaching in place this season, taking it one game at a time, I know that is attainable.
[/quote]
:-\ :-\ :-\ :-\
somebody is smoking some good stuff    :o :o :o

[quote name="Piratesdad4410" post="1232178" timestamp="1340371595"]
[quote author=HDBobcats9 link=topic=100664.msg1232166#msg1232166 date=1340369167]
[/quote]
:-\ :-\ :-\ :-\
somebody is smoking some good stuff    :o :o :o
[/quote]

I might be lol.... we will see  ;D

[/quote]
Love the enthusiam, but reality will soon set in I am afraid. 3-7 or 4-6 at best for the Bobcats next year.

Guest Air Bisquit
[/quote]

Drink that Kool Aid and pass me some because I can see ya'll going 6-4 or 7-3.
Finney has won every place he has been and HD will be no different.

Guest incognito123
[/quote]

I don't know about this statement.  Randy Copeland did a lot to energize the Bobcat program.  Those teams he had overachieved due to his coaching.

Pain that might be true, but he also had talent, size and speed. And lets not forget a large squad of players. A part of Copelands success was those players were hitting the weights during the summer and playing in open 7 on 7 tournaments with bigger schools on Saturdays.

Coach Copeland did a great job in his short time at HD including taking the '98 Bobcat team to the second round before losing a close game to Franklin when HD was still in 2A. With that said, there wasn't the same buzz about him when he came in and there wasn't as many changes and positive vibes from the kids, administration, and community as there is now. Coach Finney does have a formula for success and it will be evident here in a couple months. Consider this... Coach Finney took over a team in Maud that had a record of 3-17 in the two previous seasons and lead them to 7 wins and a playoff birth in his first season. His second and third seasons would add 11 and 12 wins to his resume. In 2010 he took over a Teague team that was 4-17 in the previous two seasons including 1-9 the year before he got there. He added another 7 wins and another playoff birth his first season there. So with that being said, Coach Finney is taking over an HD team that is only one year removed from an 8 year playoff run. I was told that he feels that the talent he has here at HD is better than when he took over both those other programs. And before anyone mentions "The Maud Squad" who went to TCU, that's only three players and none of them were skill position players. Go by the field house and see how many kids are up there working hard. Talk to any of those players and ask them how they expect to perform this fall. These kids have bought in and are dedicated to him and his program. Like I said before, I'll be the first to eat crow if I'm wrong, but I bet you I'm not. Hull-Daisetta is back, and may God have mercy on those in their path!!!

[quote name="football" post="1232265" timestamp="1340391025"]
So which 3 bobcats will be signing D1 scholarships.
[/quote]

I never said anything like that. What I said was that other than those 3 DI guys, there wasn't alot of other talent when he got to Maud. Plus those three kids weren't Division I players until Finney got there. Through his off-season program, strength and conditioning, and winning playoff games put those guys on the map. If not for that, they could have easily just been three more big kids that play 1A ball that coaches think can't compete at a D1 level. There was another poster on this board from Teague who mentioned that his son didn't even play football until his senior year when Coach Finney motivated him to play. He's now playing college football. There may only be 1 kid on HD's team who has D1 talent, but that doesn't mean they can't outplay teams that have 3 of those players. Not to mention, there's a big difference in a team that has Burns, House, and Dunbar playing O/D line, and a team that has Traylon Shead and Malcome Kennedy in the backfield like Cayuga had a few years ago. HD will average about 230lbs across the front five with good depth at offensive/defensive line, three or four 6' 200lb tweener TE/LB type plyerers, and four or five skilled running backs. That makes for a good team with the right coaching and motivation in place at the 1A level.

[quote name="HDBobcats9" post="1232281" timestamp="1340392525"]
[quote author=football link=topic=100664.msg1232265#msg1232265 date=1340391025]
So which 3 bobcats will be signing D1 scholarships.
[/quote]

I never said anything like that. What I said was that other than those 3 DI guys, there wasn't alot of other talent when he got to Maud. Plus those three kids weren't Division I players until Finney got there. Through his off-season program, strength and conditioning, and winning playoff games put those guys on the map. If not for that, they could have easily just been three more big kids that play 1A ball that coaches think can't compete at a D1 level. There was another poster on this board from Teague who mentioned that his son didn't even play football until his senior year when Coach Finney motivated him to play. He's now playing college football. There may only be 1 kid on HD's team who has D1 talent, but that doesn't mean they can't outplay teams that have 3 of those players. Not to mention, there's a big difference in a team that has Burns, House, and Dunbar playing O/D line, and a team that has Traylon Shead and Malcome Kennedy in the backfield like Cayuga had a few years ago. HD will average about 230lbs across the front five with good depth at offensive/defensive line, three or four 6' 200lb tweener TE/LB type plyerers, and four or five skilled running backs. That makes for a good team with the right coaching and motivation in place at the 1A level.
[/quote]
Size, enthusiasm and numbers are a good start, however, you still have to have players with skill and talent. 

[quote name="Colmesneilfan1" post="1232276" timestamp="1340391806"]
West Hardin takes this district this year.....HD needs some reloading time after the past few years......
[/quote]

Last year was HD's rebuilding year. Everyone knew that HD was going to have a young team and WH was going to have one of their better teams in recent years, and WH proved that by putting a good whoopin' on HD.

HD did have a bad year. 4-6 is nothing to toot your horn about, but we knew it was coming. We had kids playing out of position, kids not playing that should have been, not playing disciplined football, and the kids felt like Coach Slack had given up on them, so they did the same. This team still beat district foe Colmesneil 70-14. This team still was up 13-0 in the first half on 11-2 regional finalist Lovelady, before turnovers did them in. The same Lovelady team that beat WH by 50. For those of you who don't remember, even through the "down" years in Coach Slack's tenure, HD still won the previous 4 seasons in a row vs. WH until 2011. So why does the worst one bad year with a young team at HD compared to a very good season with a veteran team at WH equal WH running through HD this year. Since 1990 WH has won TWICE as many games vs. HD than they did in the previous 30 years. Even with that, HD is 16-6 vs. WH since then.

Look at my posts on here for the last 6 years. Rarely do I crawfish when I'm wrong, or gloat when I'm right, but this time I'm saying it with everything I've got.... HD will surprise everyone this year. Those of you saying 3-7 or 4-6 will see when HD is winning week in week out this fall.

[quote name="HDBobcats9" post="1232290" timestamp="1340393985"]
[quote author=Colmesneilfan1 link=topic=100664.msg1232276#msg1232276 date=1340391806]
West Hardin takes this district this year.....HD needs some reloading time after the past few years......
[/quote]

Last year was HD's rebuilding year. Everyone knew that HD was going to have a young team and WH was going to have one of their better teams in recent years, and WH proved that by putting a good whoopin' on HD.

HD did have a bad year. 4-6 is nothing to toot your horn about, but we knew it was coming. We had kids playing out of position, kids not playing that should have been, not playing disciplined football, and the kids felt like Coach Slack had given up on them, so they did the same. This team still beat district foe Colmesneil 70-14. This team still was up 13-0 in the first half on 11-2 regional finalist Lovelady, before turnovers did them in. The same Lovelady team that beat WH by 50. For those of you who don't remember, even through the "down" years in Coach Slack's tenure, HD still won the previous 4 seasons in a row vs. WH until 2011. So why does the worst one bad year with a young team at HD compared to a very good season with a veteran team at WH equal WH running through HD this year. Since 1990 WH has won TWICE as many games vs. HD than they did in the previous 30 years. Even with that, HD is 16-6 vs. WH since then.

Look at my posts on here for the last 6 years. Rarely do I crawfish when I'm wrong, or gloat when I'm right, but this time I'm saying it with everything I've got.... HD will surprise everyone this year. Those of you saying 3-7 or 4-6 will see when HD is winning week in week out this fall.
[/quote]Well said.

Guest incognito123
Just to clear the record, I'm excited about coach Finney too.  I came through town to visit relatives last week and visited with him.  He had me so fired up that I was ready to run through a wall.  The Cats are back....write it down!

[quote name="Colmesneilfan1" post="1232276" timestamp="1340391806"]
[/quote]LOL! Don't forget H-D beat yall 70-14. H-D is 40-9 all-time versus WH. History and Finney says Bobcat victory this season. Also don't forget an ex H-D Bobcat Coach named Jason Henry, left H-D and went to WH last year, think that helped WH a little. New Coach for WH this year too.

http://www.setxsports.com/forum/index.php?topic=74004.0

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    siiyyaa
    Newest Member
    siiyyaa