check out what the sbc thinks of Lamar

[quote name="UNLV" post="1228550" timestamp="1338903605"]
[quote author=Green Menace link=topic=100313.msg1228544#msg1228544 date=1338902628]
[quote author=UNLV link=topic=100313.msg1227968#msg1227968 date=1338568073]
When you measure distants between 2 cities, use the downtown's and not the suburb. Using the Suburbs puts Beaumont 43 miles from Houston.

2nd, 1.9 million people makes round trips PER YEAR between Beaumont/Port Arthur MSA and Houston MSA. 29th busiest in the nation between MSA's. TX-Dot has the Crosby freeway, highway 90, as the second freeway that will eventually link the Beaumont area to Houston. [b]Ya know DFW, the future will bring a HBP, Houston-Beaumont-Port Arthur CSA.[/b]
[/quote]

Wow!  That's a stretch.  Bmt-Pt Arthur is an afterthought in the grand scheme of things.  Houston doesn't need us.  Hell, we can't even support an airline!  I'm a PA boy, lived there half of my adult life.  Pt Arthur died 40 years ago and nothing will bring it back.
[/quote]Forth Worth doesn't have an airport with commercial flights. The point is, TX-dot has put a stop to Houston growing westward. Houston is now growing eastward. You need to check out the growth around Crosby and east of Mont Belvieu. When the Houston east growth catch up with what the west is today, Anahuac will be the east Katy. That population spill over will affect BPT. I think it already started.
[/quote]

I remember 25 years ago this same thing was being mentioned.  I think that it could very well happen, but may take another 25+ years for it to really develop and BMT get any benefit.

[quote name="coachacola" post="1228560" timestamp="1338905660"]
[quote author=UNLV link=topic=100313.msg1228550#msg1228550 date=1338903605]
[quote author=Green Menace link=topic=100313.msg1228544#msg1228544 date=1338902628]
When you measure distants between 2 cities, use the downtown's and not the suburb. Using the Suburbs puts Beaumont 43 miles from Houston.

2nd, 1.9 million people makes round trips PER YEAR between Beaumont/Port Arthur MSA and Houston MSA. 29th busiest in the nation between MSA's. TX-Dot has the Crosby freeway, highway 90, as the second freeway that will eventually link the Beaumont area to Houston. [b]Ya know DFW, the future will bring a HBP, Houston-Beaumont-Port Arthur CSA.[/b]
[/quote]

Wow!  That's a stretch.  Bmt-Pt Arthur is an afterthought in the grand scheme of things.  Houston doesn't need us.  Hell, we can't even support an airline!  I'm a PA boy, lived there half of my adult life.  Pt Arthur died 40 years ago and nothing will bring it back.
[/quote]Forth Worth doesn't have an airport with commercial flights. The point is, TX-dot has put a stop to Houston growing westward. Houston is now growing eastward. You need to check out the growth around Crosby and east of Mont Belvieu. When the Houston east growth catch up with what the west is today, Anahuac will be the east Katy. That population spill over will affect BPT. I think it already started.
[/quote]
Houston has been growing westward because it's nicer on that side of town.  East Houston is more industrialized so that tends to limit growth, but it's growing nonetheless.  Tx-Dot is slowly improving highway 90 and eventually it'll be a major highway between Beaumont and Houston.

The BPT metro area population is at a all time high according to the 2011 census data at over 390K.  With more projects on the way I expect to see the population exceed 400K by the end of the decade.  I-10 between Beaumont and Winnie is next to be widened to 6 lanes, and the interchange at I-10 and Cardinal Drive will be redone, probably extending it to Washington Blvd and eventually Dowlen.

Lamar will benefit from this growth, and as they develop the campus and the surrounding area will improve.  I doubt we'll see ever 30K students at Lamar but 18K to 20K would be good, especially if Lamar concentrates on engineering and business, producing graduates who will make good money.
[/quote]

The problem is that the money people of Beaumont have never really wanted major growth here and have been happy to do small projects and a leisurely pace.  All the while, forward thinkers in Houston have really driven corporate expansion and growth.  It will take forward thinking and agressive development and marketing to accomplish what you are saying Coach.  I agree with you and wish it would play out the way you have said.

[quote name="coachacola" post="1228560" timestamp="1338905660"]
[quote author=UNLV link=topic=100313.msg1228550#msg1228550 date=1338903605]

[/quote]

[/quote]
Houston has been growing westward because it's nicer on that side of town.  East Houston is more industrialized so that tends to limit growth, but it's growing nonetheless.  Tx-Dot is slowly improving highway 90 and eventually it'll be a major highway between Beaumont and Houston.

The BPT metro area population is at a all time high according to the 2011 census data at over 390K.  With more projects on the way I expect to see the population exceed 400K by the end of the decade.  I-10 between Beaumont and Winnie is next to be widened to 6 lanes, and the interchange at I-10 and Cardinal Drive will be redone, probably extending it to Washington Blvd and eventually Dowlen.

Lamar will benefit from this growth, and as they develop the campus and the surrounding area will improve.  I doubt we'll see ever 30K students at Lamar but 18K to 20K would be good, especially if Lamar concentrates on engineering and business, producing graduates who will make good money.
[/quote]The area is already above 400k, unofficially ofcourse. Areas with high minorities are under counted. The Water dept. would put Beaumont population at 135,000 instead of the census 118,000.
In Houston, TX-dot bought up the land west of Katy to stop the westward growth. They didn't want to see a lopped sided Houston. They want downtown in the center. Once you get past the industries east of Houston, that land around the trinity river and Anahuac to Dayton will grow.

Let me point out a con job by TX-Dot. In every category from DMA, MSA, etc etc Liberty and Chambers county and eastern Harris county is part of Houston. However TX-Dot has put those same areas in the Beaumont District. So when TX-Dot says the Beaumont district is getting millions for projects, that money is really a con to give Houston more money. The expansion of 146 in Baytown is a Houston project right? WRONG, all Beaumont. This is why needed projects in our area takes decades while Houston gets immediate service.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CougarCrazy124
    Newest Member
    CougarCrazy124