Nederland little league

Ok thedogs...where to start....
A) Yes I agree 100% select is more competetive.
B) I don't believe the team you play for determines your ability many many many great ball players have been around loooooongggg before select was ever a concept. Hard work, determination, and dad getting off his arse and going out and throwing BP to you til his arm hurts are all ingredients to a good ball player.
C) I have 4 sons, 2 of which have played heavily in select, and little league at the same time, hands down they both enjoyed little league more, and both are well above average players.
D) I have heard the little league/dinosaur theroy since I was playing little league and that was (longer than I care to mention) ago. Reality is ESPN is not knocking down select organizations doors to air their world series.
E) The winnig combination to creating a great ball player, is a kid that strives to get better each year with work ethics, a stong moral fiber, a good set of fundamentals from little league/select/and private lessons from someone that knows more than me (dad) and the dedication from me (dad) and athlete to get out and work on the skill sets that you have been taught. We have played with and against MANY select players that just do not have it usually due to lack of dedication so the travel ball makes you better theroy is busted.

As I have said the world is big enough for select ball, and little league ball and my kids have played a LOT of both I am sure I have skin melanomas forming now from the endless weekends sitting in the sun at various ball parks around the area. I am just tired of the select ball people always feeling that little league with "all of it's rules" (imagine rules), is a "threat" to their flawless and impeccable game. We play both, and we enjoy both. Both have their pro's and con's, both can be a blast or a curse, and both will serve the purpose of making my kids more well rounded, and hopefully build memories and friendships.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="MoFo" post="1230844" timestamp="1339843543"]
B) I don't believe the team you play for determines your ability many many many great ball players have been around loooooongggg before select was ever a concept. Hard work, determination, and dad getting off his arse and going out and throwing BP to you til his arm hurts are all ingredients to a good ball player.
C) I have 4 sons, 2 of which have played heavily in select, and little league at the same time, hands down they both enjoyed little league more, and both are well above average players.
D) I have heard the little league/dinosaur theroy since I was playing little league and that was (longer than I care to mention) ago. Reality is ESPN is not knocking down select organizations doors to air their world series.
E) The winnig combination to creating a great ball player, is a kid that strives to get better each year with work ethics, a stong moral fiber, a good set of fundamentals from little league/select/and private lessons from someone that knows more than me (dad) and the dedication from me (dad) and athlete to get out and work on the skill sets that you have been taught. We have played with and against MANY select players that just do not have it usually due to lack of dedication so the travel ball makes you better theroy is busted.

As I have said the world is big enough for select ball, and little league ball and my kids have played a LOT of both I am sure I have skin melanomas forming now from the endless weekends sitting in the sun at various ball parks around the area. I am just tired of the select ball people always feeling that little league with "all of it's rules" (imagine rules), is a "threat" to their flawless and impeccable game. We play both, and we enjoy both. Both have their pro's and con's, both can be a blast or a curse, and both will serve the purpose of making my kids more well rounded, and hopefully build memories and friendships.
[/quote] Well said MOFO...

[quote name="MoFo" post="1230844" timestamp="1339843543"]

[/quote]

Who is "theroy"?

I was really joking about dad's son's making all-stars...knew that would get yall going for nothing.  However, like I said those kids are usually better because the parent puts the time in with them and the parent cares enough to VOLUNTEER their time.

Mofo, don't know what district your hs is in???

For 20 4 A baseball, I look across the district at the COMPETItive teams, and guess what,  Select players are starting.  That's a fact.  You can say what you want.  But if your kid is hanging out and JUST playing LL, then that puts them at HUGE disadvantage. 

Slice that how you like, but that is a FACT of TODAY'S high school baseball and beyond.

I am watching a replay of 5A State championship game on FOX right now and guess what, I know some of those kids because we have played against them in SELECT baseball. 

Select lets you see BETTER competition and as far as LL being on EsPn, well I don't know their agreement.  But you lose your ability to especially develop as a pitcher when your 12 year old friends are already pitching at a greater distance facing better batters than you. (You know, those dominant pitchers from 46 feet can't move on and pitch the same at 13 years old, let me go ahead and hear how LL is protecting pitchers arm, blah, blah,  it's a rouse and doesn't take a rocket scientist to know that????)

I am all for community sports but if you are moving on in baseball, make a wise decision for your player and get them exposure that makes them better. 

Plain and simple, take it or leave it. 8)

[quote name="thedogs1987" post="1230906" timestamp="1339878810"]
I was really joking about dad's son's making all-stars...knew that would get yall going for nothing.  However, like I said those kids are usually better because the parent puts the time in with them and the parent cares enough to VOLUNTEER their time.

Mofo, don't know what district your hs is in???

For 20 4 A baseball, I look across the district at the COMPETItive teams, and guess what,  Select players are starting.  That's a fact.  You can say what you want.  But if your kid is hanging out and JUST playing LL, then that puts them at HUGE disadvantage. 

Slice that how you like, but that is a FACT of TODAY'S high school baseball and beyond.

I am watching a replay of 5A State championship game on FOX right now and guess what, I know some of those kids because we have played against them in SELECT baseball. 

Select lets you see BETTER competition and as far as LL being on EsPn, well I don't know their agreement.  But you lose your ability to especially develop as a pitcher when your 12 year old friends are already pitching at a greater distance facing better batters than you. (You know, those dominant pitchers from 46 feet can't move on and pitch the same at 13 years old, let me go ahead and hear how LL is protecting pitchers arm, blah, blah,  it's a rouse and doesn't take a rocket scientist to know that????)

I am all for community sports but if you are moving on in baseball, make a wise decision for your player and get them exposure that makes them better. 

Plain and simple, take it or leave it. 8)
[/quote]  Whatever.  Go by a Kelly game this year?  I bet you can't tell me which ones played little league verses pure select, if you don't know the kids.  Fact is, until they are 15 or so, it doesn't matter.  i have seen kids leave little league and then we meet up again in high school.  Guess what?  They are the same and they haven't gotten better than the kids they couldn't beat out for allstars when they were 9. 

Spend your money and hope for a partial JUCO scholarship if you really think that is a wise investment.  Take it or leave it.

I was speaking of 20 4 A baseball, select players are starting on the competitive teams in our district.

westend....I understand you are spending all of your money on your kid's education now and can't pay for select ball.  Education is way more important, You're right, 99.99% of those players at Kelly are NOT going to be playing baseball anywhere after high school, I agree, maybe a JUCO is better for some, baseball scholarships are not an investment, it's an HONOR to move on and play the game you love.  Hopefully, the kid is going to college anyways. Baseball is just a bonus!

[quote name="thedogs1987" post="1230916" timestamp="1339880366"]
I was speaking of 20 4 A baseball, select players are starting on the competitive teams in our district.

westend....I understand you are spending all of your money on your kid's education now and can't pay for select ball.  Education is way more important, You're right, 99.99% of those players at Kelly are NOT going to be playing baseball anywhere after high school, I agree, maybe a JUCO is better for some.
[/quote]  My kid goes to Westbrook. 2nd team all district.  Good try though.

[quote name="westend1" post="1230918" timestamp="1339880644"]
[quote author=thedogs1987 link=topic=100290.msg1230916#msg1230916 date=1339880366]

westend....I understand you are spending all of your money on your kid's education now and can't pay for select ball.  Education is way more important, You're right, 99.99% of those players at Kelly are NOT going to be playing baseball anywhere after high school, I agree, maybe a JUCO is better for some.
[/quote]

8)

[quote name="thedogs1987" post="1230920" timestamp="1339880752"]
[quote author=westend1 link=topic=100290.msg1230918#msg1230918 date=1339880644]
[quote author=thedogs1987 link=topic=100290.msg1230916#msg1230916 date=1339880366]

[/quote]

Gosh, maybe if he played select, he'd made 1st team!
[/quote]  He did.  Just not exclusively.  Look it up.  It's a word.

[quote name="westend1" post="1230922" timestamp="1339881329"]
[quote author=thedogs1987 link=topic=100290.msg1230920#msg1230920 date=1339880752]

[/quote]

[/quote]  He did.  Just not [b]exclusively[/b].  Look it up.  It's a word.
[/quote]

Yep, I looked it up ...

EXCLUSIVELY  -  played for GLADIATORS, strung along for $$$,  forced to play other leagues for playing time.

;)

[quote name="thedogs1987" post="1230927" timestamp="1339882825"]
[quote author=westend1 link=topic=100290.msg1230922#msg1230922 date=1339881329]
[quote author=thedogs1987 link=topic=100290.msg1230920#msg1230920 date=1339880752]

[/quote]

[/quote]  He did.  Just not [b]exclusively[/b].  Look it up.  It's a word.
[/quote]

Yep, I looked it up ...

EXCLUSIVELY  -  played for GLADIATORS, strung along for $$$,  forced to play other leagues for playing time.

;)
[/quote]  You think we were Gladiators?  Not even close.  Another nice try though.  Who does your kid play for?

Umm...i .know the obvious is not ALWAYS obvious...

20 4 A, the dogs....really guess your $$$ should have been spent on your education.  Would you like our hitting coaches name, personal trainers info, birth certificates, select history, awards won, colleges contacts, and on and on...I can help you out if you would like.

Yeah, I didn't think the Gladiators produced 2nd team players, you're right again.  8)

[quote name="thedogs1987" post="1230931" timestamp="1339883563"]
Umm...i .know the obvious is not ALWAYS obvious...

20 4 A, the dogs....really guess your $$$ should have been spent on your education.  Would you like our hitting coaches name, personal trainers info, birth certificates, select history, awards won, colleges contacts, and on and on...I can help you out if you would like.

Yeah, I didn't think the Gladiators produced 2nd team players, you're right again.  8)
[/quote]  All these select players finished where in your district?

westend....the last time I looked baseball is a TEAM sport.  Select players don't finish anywhere in district.

Again, the obvious is not always so obvious for you.

If you are speaking to how select players impacted the district race in 20 4-A, PNG finished first.  I know there are several key players (really, more than several) who played select that represent PNG Varsity this year.  They are a polished TEAM and deserved to be the Champs.

If you are speaking to Nederland, which team are speaking to? Sophomores, JV, Varsity.  Select players are on all of these teams and represent their town with class and a respect for the game. 

I can't really tell what you are trying to say, you talk about Kelly, then say you are from Westbrook. 

????

My point, again, select players are starting in 20 4 A competitive teams.  Plain and simple. 

[quote name="westend1" post="1230942" timestamp="1339886777"]
Yeah.  Go on believing that league kids can't compete, and those BC kids will keep proving you wrong.
[/quote]

BC kids played select also.  Note to you.

Also, they are 3 A.  Some of the best select players in our area as well as in hs.

Glad to know you represent them as well,
kelly, wb, now, BC.  WHo are you????

[quote name="sportsfan2020" post="1230947" timestamp="1339887963"]
Westend1 is mike Lockhart. Always been anti select and anti babe Ruth because he was a west end board member and part of Beaumont baseball league.
[/quote]  We played lots of select.  I am not anti select, more like pro-league.  It provides a valuable service to many communities and I don't like seeing it trashed.  My son plays Babe ruth(don't you feel stupid) and we enjoy it a lot.  Most people who have been on here a while know who I am.  Now, man up and tell us who you are.

Personally I find it kinda off key to bring what I thought was a good discussion on select/little league to a personal level.

I could also care less about 4A vs 3A vs 1A..or whatever. Once again it boils down to individual kids work ethics, they can play select or little league or cricket and if they have the will, work ethic, and dedication to excel at the next level then they will if not they will finish their sporting career with a picture in the annual, a good cry after the last game, and hopefully a good college degree that will get help them get their family through the same trials and tribulations that we are getting ours through. 

I mean seriously isn't that exactly what we are all trying to do???

PS my name is Richard Morreale, I have 4 boys hence MoFo  (Morreale 4) and we attend school in HJ just incase you did not pick that up from the Hawk...

I know Mike well and I do not think he is anti-select but believe like what he said he is Pro-League, as I am. My kids play select (heading to a game in morning) but I just wish the Pro-select would back off of little league and quit considering it such a threat, from looking at the ever growing numbers of select teams it does not look like we are taking to big of a slice of the pie.

Mofo, since you admit to living in HJ district, just curious how your kids are allowed to play west end all-stars.  West end is already drawing from twice as many kids as other Beaumont leagues.  Why is west end allowed waivers for all these out of district players? Why are out of district players allowed to make all-stars over in district kids?

IF A TOWN DOESNT HAVE A LITTLE LEAGUE  THERE IS A WAIVER THAT ALLOWS THEM TO PLAY IN A TOWN THAT DOES.NOT SURE IF THE WAIVER MAKES THEM ELIGIBLE FOR ALLSTARS.LIKE I SAID BEFORE EVERYONE LOVES PLAYING FAIR,WITH THEIR FRIENDS & THE AVERAGE KIDS DURING THE LEAGUE GAMES,THEN ALL THAT IS THROWN OUT THE WINDOW FOR ALLSTARS.EVEN AT WESTEND LITTLE LEAGUE.   

[quote name="sportsfan2020" post="1231027" timestamp="1339948042"]
Mofo, since you admit to living in HJ district, just curious how your kids are allowed to play west end all-stars.  West end is already drawing from twice as many kids as other Beaumont leagues.  Why is west end allowed waivers for all these out of district players? Why are out of district players allowed to make all-stars over in district kids?
[/quote]

a-he [b]lives[/b] in Beaumont, west end district ...dont have to live in h-j to go h-j  Boom , one for Richard..

b-West end [b]does[/b] ignore the boundaries- FACT-one for sportsfan  [b]but[/b], the out of boundaries kids, [b]who shouldnt be there in the first place, [/b] do not play all stars-- OOPS-minus 1 for sportsfan

c-if coaches kids are automatic all-stars..why not the assistant coaches?  the umps?  the concession stand coordinator? she does more for the league than anybody?
how about the announcer? There was one a couple yrs ago at WE that was a hoot...

My name is Puddin Tane, ask me again I'll tell ya the same

and btw...i'm pro League..but pro-all league, not just WE...that is why their "boundaries" irk me..its hurting other leagues..its the simplest, 1st rule of little league and should be followed to the letter.

As for the LL vs select making for better players and more upper level and beyond.....do you people realize HOW MANY ballplayers come outta hs  and how FEW get college scholarships?  ::)  The money being spent on the best bat, the best indivdual  coach, the travel...its  insane....TAKE A KID FISHING

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder