Who wins 24-1A

WHFAN

It looks like this will be a tough district. You dont hear much about Big Sandy but they are ranked # 14 in the state and West Hardin is at # 19. Does anyone have any stats on Big Sandy, what are they bringing to the court? While you are thinking about that, watch out because there is HD playing very well. Should be a good district race.

GO OILERS

• 2 weeks later...

WH probably wins this if Letsinger stays healthy.Everything they do starts with him,Copeland is also solid.Big Sandy will probably win at home and anything can happen in Spurger.WH starts a very experienced team with several seniors and experience usually wins in close games.My pics are:

1 WH

2 Big Sandy

3 Spurger

Next year HD has the edge as the youngsters grow up.

I think WH will win the district, but no go undefeated. They have to play Spurger in Spurger. I have seen both of their games and Spurger could very well win in Spurger. Have not seen Big Sandy since summer.  I know they will have a good team and will be hard to beat at home.  WH first, Spurger and Big Sandy 2nd or 3rd.

Guest KirbyKat

It's great to see basketball folks are excited about this district. The quality in the top 4 teams is amazing. WH, Big Sandy, HD, Spurger all have outstanding teams. I'm going against conventional wisdom and give the edge to Big Sandy, only because the king stays the king until someone beats them in district. With that said, WH has an unbelievable team. Undefeated, 3 tournament championships, awesome. Have not seen Spurger, but HD has an excellent group of youngsters. Can anyone tell me anything about the rest of the district...High Island, Sabine Pass and Evadale. I remember a time when the district title would always go thru Evadale.

Guest allsportsfan

I think WH wins the district if they return to pre-

Christmas form. They played their worst games against Spurger at WH and in the Spurger tournament. If WH slips BS takes 1and WH 2.

Big Sandy wins second without a doubt, and Spurger and HD fight for third because HD might slightly have the better home court advantage.

U KNOW THIS IS PITTYFUL TALKING ABOUT HOW H D GETS A BETTER HOME COURT ADDVANTAGE THAN ANY OTHER TEAMS. DONT MAKE EXCUSES BEFORE ANYTHING HAPPENS. BUT I DO AGREE WH IS THAT GOOD AND HD IS VERY YOUNG FOR A VARSITY, TOP 7 PLAYERS 1 SR. ,2 JR. , 4 SOPH. AND I AGREE EXPERIANCE AND AGE WIN TIGHT GAMES

Home court advatage is big from any sporting venue.  HD has a reputation of having poor officiating for the visiting team, but that is part of overcoming adversity.  It is not in any way criticizing the skill, or heart of any of the HD ball players.  After all, the officials are adults, and are supposed to be non-biased proffessionals.  It's always an exciting atmosphere at either school when these two teams meet.  Don't get offended when people talk about the HD officials.  I think kids are still taught to let the coaches worry about the officials, and for the kids to play their heart out.  We will see what happens tomm.  Should be fun!!!

Guest KirbyKat

No doubt this will a great district to watch. I saw WH play a couple of years ago when Lettsinger was a soph. and he was quite amazing even then. Ought to be a great race.

Guest 972BBallCoach

I am good friends with Coach Stapert and Spurger will be good for the next few years as well. The district trophy may not go through Spurger this year, however I can promise you it will in the near future. They have an 8th grade that is incredible. I know they didn't lose a game last year (beating everyone by 30 or more after calling off the press) and they will probably win the district trophy this year. I know they beat Goodrich by over 50 this year. I know winning the district in Junior High isn't an indicator of how good they will be, but this group of kids will most likely stay together because all of their families are in Spurger. The best ball handler in the school is an 8th grader and Phillip Whittakers little brother is going to be even better than him soon. Some of the kids on the current Spurger roster right now are Freshman and their better kids are Juniors. They will be hard to beat. Big Sandy will be tougher next year as well. Excellent program from top to bottom. Coach Foster has done an incredible job there. Sabine Pass will be better and High Island will be as well. Evadale will be good again in the next couple years. I too remember a time when the trophy always went through there. However I think Big Sandy will win this district, followed by West Hardin then Spurger. Hull will take fourth. (Spurger and Hull may play a playoff game for a playoff game). That final game may need to be a game of the week candidate when it gets closer.

Guest KirbyKat

Thanks for all the insight. Living in Beaumont, we do not get a very good reporting of district 24-1A. I also think Big Sandy is the team to beat, but WH and the rest will make an interesting league.

Definately West Hardin or Big Sandy.  I haven't seen Big Sandy play this year, but I hear they're awesome and have just about as much heart and will to win as West Hardin does, and are just as well coached.  West Hardin did beat Big Sandy (barely) in their own tournament last year, but I don't think that's going to be a predictor for this year. 

Having said that, anyone who has been around this West Hardin basketball team will tell you that this is a group of guys that makes West Hardin fans PROUD!  They're talented, hard-working, full of heart, focused, and they have character.  I'm certainly pulling for them to win district and go undefeated all the way, but regardless of whether or not they do, I'm proud to be an Oiler fan!  There's little doubt they're going to pull out an amazing record this year!!

Guest allsportsfan

Very well said. Regardless of how good you are, it is very hard to go undefeated. Especially playing a tough schedule and being in a tough district.

That said, if WH beats Big Sandy next Teusday, They stand a great chance.

They have as much heart as I have seen in a long time.

Great coaching with great kids that respond = wins!

Congrats!

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    jacobmartin
    Newest Member
    jacobmartin