Robinson vs. Bridge City Game Thread/Robinson wins 6-2

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="gtsports98" post="1226543" timestamp="1338169237"]
  We should all petition the UIL about one game series!  This team was too good to be put out because of one inning.
[/quote]

That just won't happen.  By reading the UIL rules, it is obvious that they favor the one game playoff.  They'll point to the official reason being that they are concerned about the school that is missed in the travel to these games on game days.

And it is not financially advantageous for the UIL to do so as baseball is the only of the major boys team sports where the UIL does not take a cut from the gate for playoff games played before the state tournament.

[quote name="gtsports98" post="1226543" timestamp="1338169237"]
  We should all petition the UIL about one game series!  This team was too good to be put out because of one inning.
[/quote]

Why do you assume BC would win in a 3 game series? Robinson is the #1 team in the state. The odds were in Robinson's favor to advance either way.

[quote name="falconfanatic" post="1226573" timestamp="1338177396"]
[quote author=gtsports98 link=topic=100237.msg1226543#msg1226543 date=1338169237]
[/quote]

Why do you assume BC would win in a 3 game series? Robinson is the #1 team in the state. The odds were in Robinson's favor to advance either way.
[/quote]

No scientific explanation here and no way to prove the point but most folks who follow 3A baseball would lean towards BC having a deeper/better staff than Robinson and in a 3 game series it's usually ([i]not all the time[/i]) the better team that wins. For example look at the Robinson vs Bullard series, it was all Robinson could do to get out of that round in a 3 gamer and Bullard's pitching staff isn't even close to BC's. If the odds "were in Robinson's favor" as you stated above why did they opt for a 1 game against BC like the [color=blue][b]Falcons[/b][/color] did? Because they knew, just like [color=blue][b]Huffman[/b][/color] did, that they couldn't beat BC 2 out of 3. The fact that Robinson had just thrown a no hitter and a 1 hitter in the Bullard series and still flipped BC for a 1 game says it all and that is "we want no part of BC in a 3 game series".

Regardless of which team you were rooting for the saddest thing about the whole issue is that all the baseball fans who had been waiting for these two teams to meet up were deprived of watching #1 vs #2 slug it out for 3 games. That would have been awesome.

BC had a great year for sure and has nothing to be ashamed of.

Rake1 

[quote name="Rake1" post="1226578" timestamp="1338195058"]
[quote author=falconfanatic link=topic=100237.msg1226573#msg1226573 date=1338177396]
[quote author=gtsports98 link=topic=100237.msg1226543#msg1226543 date=1338169237]
[/quote]

[/quote]

No scientific explanation here and no way to prove the point but most folks who follow 3A baseball would lean towards BC having a deeper/better staff than Robinson and in a 3 game series it's usually ([i]not all the time[/i]) the better team that wins. For example look at the Robinson vs Bullard series, it was all Robinson could do to get out of that round in a 3 gamer and Bullard's pitching staff isn't even close to BC's. If the odds "were in Robinson's favor" as you stated above why did they opt for a 1 game against BC like the [color=blue][b]Falcons[/b][/color] did? Because they knew, just like [color=blue][b]Huffman[/b][/color] did, that they couldn't beat BC 2 out of 3. The fact that Robinson had just thrown a no hitter and a 1 hitter in the Bullard series and still flipped BC for a 1 game says it all and that is "we want no part of BC in a 3 game series".

Regardless of which team you were rooting for the saddest thing about the whole issue is that all the baseball fans who had been waiting for these two teams to meet up were deprived of watching #1 vs #2 slug it out for 3 games. That would have been awesome.

Rake1
[/quote]

No. If I was Robinson and had probably the best pitcher in the state on my team I would flip for a 1 gamer every time. It has nothing to do with being scared of BC, they are just making the safe pick. Why risk a 3 game series when you can send a pitcher out there it is going to win a vast majority of time.

The only reason the bullard series went 3 games is because of errors. Hollingsworth threw a no hitter in the 1st game and they still lost. Robinson pitching staff is pretty dang good they threw a no hitter and a 1 hitter in the 3rd round of the playoffs, maybe BC might be a bit deeper pitching wise, but not by much.

Don't get me wrong BC is a great team and I listened to that game routing for them to win, but I believe Robinson is better. I think Robinson would of won the series regardless of it it was 1 game or 3 games.

Btw BC fans, if every playoff series was a 1 gamer then BC would probably still be playing right now. Bullard would of advanced over Robinson and I think everyone would take BC over Bullard. So maybe yall should petition the state to make all the playoffs 1 gamers ::).

[quote name="falconfanatic" post="1226604" timestamp="1338216476"]
[quote author=Rake1 link=topic=100237.msg1226578#msg1226578 date=1338195058]
[quote author=falconfanatic link=topic=100237.msg1226573#msg1226573 date=1338177396]
[/quote]

[/quote]

Rake1
[/quote]

No. If I was Robinson and had probably the [color=blue][b]best pitcher in the state[/b][/color] on my team I would flip for a 1 gamer every time. It has nothing to do with being scared of BC, they are just making the safe pick. Why risk a 3 game series when you can send a pitcher out there it is going to win a vast majority of time.

The only reason the bullard series went 3 games is because of errors. Hollingsworth threw a no hitter in the 1st game and they still lost. Robinson pitching staff is pretty dang good they threw a no hitter and a 1 hitter in the 3rd round of the playoffs, maybe BC might be a bit deeper pitching wise, but not by much.

Don't get me wrong BC is a great team and I listened to that game routing for them to win, but I believe Robinson is better. I think Robinson would of won the series regardless of it it was 1 game or 3 games.

Btw BC fans, if every playoff series was a 1 gamer then BC would probably still be playing right now. Bullard would of advanced over Robinson and I think everyone would take BC over Bullard. So maybe yall should petition the state to make all the playoffs 1 gamers ::).
[/quote]

I love it when other people prove my point for me! Thanks very much! Robinson may have the best pitcher in the state but not the best team, hence the reason for flipping for 1 gamers. Oh and for your information in the no hitter against Bullard the Robinson squad only had 1 hit themselves so using the error excuse doesn't fly. Also lets not forget about the 3 batters Robinson hit during the no hitter as well. Sounds more like a "one trick pony" and not a complete team if you subscribe to that line of thinking which more times than not spells trouble at the state tournament. Seen it a hundred times, 1 big pitcher wins the semi final and then the next guy in line can't get it done against team that relies on the ENTIRE team.

Rake1

[quote name="Rake1" post="1226658" timestamp="1338236633"]
[quote author=falconfanatic link=topic=100237.msg1226604#msg1226604 date=1338216476]
[/quote]

[/quote]

Rake1
[/quote]

No. If I was Robinson and had probably the [color=blue][b]best pitcher in the state[/b][/color] on my team I would flip for a 1 gamer every time. It has nothing to do with being scared of BC, they are just making the safe pick. Why risk a 3 game series when you can send a pitcher out there it is going to win a vast majority of time.

[/quote]

I love it when other people prove my point for me! Thanks very much! Robinson may have the best pitcher in the state but not the best team, hence the reason for flipping for 1 gamers. Oh and for your information in the no hitter against Bullard the Robinson squad only had 1 hit themselves so using the error excuse doesn't fly. Also lets not forget about the 3 batters Robinson hit during the no hitter as well. Sounds more like a "one trick pony" and not a complete team if you subscribe to that line of thinking which more times than not spells trouble at the state tournament. Seen it a hundred times, 1 big pitcher wins the semi final and then the next guy in line can't get it done against team that relies on the ENTIRE team.

Rake1

[/quote]

How did I prove your point? Lol so now I guess if you have 1 great pitcher it means your not a complete team. Fact is any team that has Hollingsworth on thier team would choose a 1 gamer. Thats not because your not a complete team or they are scared ::), its because when you have a pitcher that dominate you ride him till you can't anymore. Trust me no team gets to 28-2 if they're not a complete team.

And your  right Bullard did 1 hit Robinson( I guess those Bullard pitchers are better that you thought ;)). I wasn't trying to use the errors as an excuse I was just saying they lost after thier ace threw a no hitter and were able to come back and win against a 23 win team in the 3rd of the playoffs. That's not something you do unless you are a complete team.

Btw Robinson went 31-6 and, they brought back 7 starters including all 3 pitchers and it looks like they could finish with better record this year. But yeah your right they are definitely a one trick pony ::)

[quote name="falconfanatic" post="1226663" timestamp="1338239331"]
[quote author=Rake1 link=topic=100237.msg1226658#msg1226658 date=1338236633]
[quote author=falconfanatic link=topic=100237.msg1226604#msg1226604 date=1338216476]
[/quote]

[/quote]

Rake1
[/quote]

[/quote]

Rake1

[/quote]

How did I prove your point? Lol so now I guess if you have 1 great pitcher it means your not a complete team. Fact is any team that has Hollingsworth on thier team would choose a 1 gamer. Thats not because your not a complete team or they are scared ::), its because when you have a pitcher that dominate you ride him till you can't anymore. Trust me no team gets to 28-2 if they're not a complete team.

And your  right Bullard did 1 hit Robinson( I guess those Bullard pitchers are better that you thought ;)). I wasn't trying to use the errors as an excuse I was just saying they lost after thier ace threw a no hitter and were able to come back and win against a 23 win team in the 3rd of the playoffs. That's not something you do unless you are a complete team.

Btw Robinson went 31-6 and, they brought back 7 starters including all 3 pitchers and it looks like they could finish with better record this year. But yeah your right they are definitely a one trick pony ::)
[/quote]

Love the use of the emoticons! Incredibly effective at getting the point across.

Now back to the debate. "One trick pony" or "one dimensional" it's all the same thing in my opinion. Ride the "one" pitcher you have and hope for help in the finals. When you get to Austin the best TEAM wins for a reason. Who knows? Maybe the teams that face off in the finals will both be in the same boat, out of pitching, and it becomes a summer league game with the score of 14-12. It's very simple, a deeper more complete team plays 3 games. Period.

Now as for the Bullard pitchers are concerned Bullard didn't throw their #1 in the first game, he threw in the 2nd one. Then it was "johnny wholestaff" in the 3rd when they got destroyed.

As for the 3 pitchers Robinson brought back compared to BC's trio  we saw the #1's go head to head. We also saw Robinson struggle with BC's #2 just like Huffman did. And to compare Robinson's #3 to BC's definitely goes in favor of BC.

There's no doubt Robinson will stack up a big record and I will be the first to congratulate them if they do indeed win it all. I will also be one who believes that the path to Austin was decided more by the flip of a coin than by actions on the field.

Rake1

[quote name="Rake1" post="1226670" timestamp="1338243937"]
[quote author=falconfanatic link=topic=100237.msg1226663#msg1226663 date=1338239331]
[quote author=Rake1 link=topic=100237.msg1226658#msg1226658 date=1338236633]
[/quote]

[/quote]

Rake1
[/quote]

[/quote]

Rake1

[/quote]

[/quote]

Love the use of the emoticons! Incredibly effective at getting the point across.

Now back to the debate. "One trick pony" or "one dimensional" it's all the same thing in my opinion. Ride the "one" pitcher you have and hope for help in the finals. When you get to Austin the best TEAM wins for a reason. Who knows? Maybe the teams that face off in the finals will both be in the same boat, out of pitching, and it becomes a summer league game with the score of 14-12. It's very simple, a deeper more complete team plays 3 games. Period.

Now as for the Bullard pitchers you missed this one as well but at this point that doesn't surprise me. Bullard didn't throw their #1 in the first game, he threw in the 2nd one. Then it was "johnny wholestaff" in the 3rd when they got destroyed.

As for the 3 pitchers Robinson brought back compared to BC's trio (that means 3, sorry for the big word, I know they hurt your head) we saw the #1's go head to head. We also saw Robinson struggle with BC's #2 just like Huffman did. (oh did I just say that!) And to compare Robinson's #3 to BC's definitely goes in favor of BC.

There's no doubt Robinson will stack up a big record and I will be the first to congratulate them if they do indeed win it all. I will also be one who believes that the path to Austin was decided more by the flip of a coin than by actions on the field.

Rake1
[/quote]

Actually I knew Bullards ace didn't throw the first game and just adds credence to my point about Bullards pitching staff thier #2 pitcher did better than any bc pitcher against Robinson. I dont much about Bullards #1, but the coach obviously believes he is better than the #2 so I would say that is a pretty good pitching staff considering thier top 2 pitchers allowed as many runs against robinson in 2 games as BC did in 1. Now obviously they aren't as deep as BC but they are better than you give them credit for.

Now I'm going to try and say this again. Just because Robinson chooses to ride hollingsworth as far as they can doesn't mean that they are one dimensional. Robinson has 3  starting pitchers that have already made one state championship run, how many does BC have?

Your comments about the more complete team always going for a 3 game series is simply inaccurate. Think about it this way Robinson's #2 and #3 pitchers are pretty close if not equal to BC' #2 and #3, there is not a clear advantage one way or the other, but Robinson has a clear advantage on #1 pitchers. So if your the coach and you know that your #1 is probably the most dominate pitcher in the state and you know that your #2 and 3 guys dont have a clear advantage over the other teams what are you going to do? The answer any decent coach would make is to go with the guy who you know is going to dominate the other team(which Hollingsworth did) and not rely on the unknown outcomes of the other pitching.match ups.

I find it hilarious that Robinson is about to make back to back trips to Austin yet you feel they aren't a complete team.

I find it hilarious that you continue to make my points for me. BC had a clear enough advantage that the other team only wanted 1 game. If a team is good enough they are not going to take the chance of losing to an inferior opponent in a 1 gamer because we all know anything can happen. As a matter of fact Robinson wanted a 3 game series with China Spring and lost the flip so I guess your line of thinking may be wrong.
You choose a 1 game if you can't win a series, I don't know how else to explain it to you and there aren't any emoticons for this situation so I guess you may never get it.

I do agree with you that Robinson has a great shot at going back to Austin. I never said they were not a complete team, just not as complete as BC IMHO.

Great season BC and good luck to Robinson.

Rake1

[quote name="Rake1" post="1226687" timestamp="1338252244"]
I find it hilarious that you continue to make my points for me. BC had a clear enough advantage that the other team only wanted 1 game. If a team is good enough they are not going to take the chance of losing to an inferior opponent in a 1 gamer because we all know anything can happen. As a matter of fact Robinson wanted a 3 game series with China Spring and lost the flip so I guess your line of thinking may be wrong.
You choose a 1 game if you can't win a series, I don't know how else to explain it to you and there aren't any emoticons for this situation so I guess you may never get it.

I do agree with you that Robinson has a great shot at going back to Austin. I never said they were not a complete team, just not as complete as BC IMHO.

Rake1
[/quote]

Actually you've said they one dimensional, a one trick pony, and not a complete team.

Also if anyone has an advantage pitching its Robinson. Robinson has the clear advantage with the #1s BC might have a slight advantage on #2s( that's a big maybe considering Robinson's top 2 are  both ranked as top 25 players and niether BC pitcher is) and after looking at the stats Robinson has the Advantage on #3s. BC's #3 has thrown all of 15 innings while Robinson's #3 has thrown close to 50 and just threw a 1 hitter vs Bullard. When was the last time BC's #3 even took the mound? And going back to last year all of the Robinson pitchers have better stats than thier counter parts as well. 

As for why Robinson wanted a 3 gamer (if they actually did) its probably because they already beat CS twice. In that series they know they are clearly the better team. In the BC aeries it's not as clear(although I believe Robinson to be better) what is clear is that Hollingsworth is going to dominate the other team, and when you have an ace in the hole like that why wouldn't you use it?

You're right that the better team will choose the 3 game series with they are playing an inferior team, but what does the coach do if he feels the teams are equal? In that situation I believe most coaches would put the season on the back of Hollingsworth.

Bottom line is robinson's # 1 beat our #1 who didn't get the job done in the last two games and we choked and they didn't. We should have started Guidry he has been the best pitcher of the two through the playoffs. Would not have mattered if we sous have played three out of five we would have lost. I remember people saying when we went to Austin two years in a row. Any coach could take a team with that much talent to Austin well in my opinion this team had as much if not more than those two teams. So I guess that theory was shot to hell

[quote name="falconfanatic" post="1226688" timestamp="1338253281"]
[quote author=Rake1 link=topic=100237.msg1226687#msg1226687 date=1338252244]

Rake1
[/quote]

Actually you've said they one dimensional, a one trick pony, and not a complete team.

Also if anyone has an advantage pitching its Robinson. Robinson has the clear advantage with the #1s BC might have a slight advantage on #2s( that's a big maybe considering Robinson's top 2 are  both ranked as top 25 players and niether BC pitcher is) and after looking at the stats Robinson has the Advantage on #3s. BC's #3 has thrown all of 15 innings while Robinson's #3 has thrown close to 50 and just threw a 1 hitter vs Bullard. When was the last time BC's #3 even took the mound? And going back to last year all of the Robinson pitchers have better stats than thier counter parts as well. 

As for why Robinson wanted a 3 gamer (if they actually did) its probably because they already beat CS twice. In that series they know they are clearly the better team. In the BC aeries it's not as clear(although I believe Robinson to be better) what is clear is that Hollingsworth is going to dominate the other team, and when you have an ace in the hole like that why wouldn't you use it?

You're right that the better team will choose the 3 game series with they are playing an inferior team, but what does the coach do if he feels the teams are equal? In that situation I believe most coaches would put the season on the back of Hollingsworth.
[/quote]

Agree to disagree.

Rake1

[quote name="PhatMack19" post="1226605" timestamp="1338216550"]
Robinson & China Spring are playing a 1 gamer for the Regional Final.  Robinson will eventually have to win 2 games if they want to bring home a State Title.
[/quote]

Well they will have to win two games in two days to win, just won't have to beat the same team twice to do it.  I think they handle China Spring easily.

Bridge City had a great season.  You can't have errors and strike outs and expect to win at this stage in the play offs.  I wanted BC to pull off the win and advance, but it wasn't in the CARDS for us. 
It will be an interesting match up with Robinson and China Spring.  Would be a great game to watch.  They are in the same district and Robinson has beat CS twice.  But, they haven't seen Sterling Wynn.  So the Hollingsworth/Wynn match up will be a good one. 
From what my son said, the Robinson team played with good sportsmanship and Hollingsworth even got off the bus and came over to speak specifically to my son in the parking lot.  He and a couple of other players complimented his play and hit, and wished him the best in college and looked forward to meeting up with him again.  Not all teams are that way.  It says a lot about those players and thier character.
This is a game for High School kids.  One game, 3 games, shut outs, #1's vs #2's it doesn't matter.  These are High School kids doing the best they can.  None of them want to lose.  Every team wants to go to the State Championship.  It happened the way it happened and the best team that night won.  Period.  Do I think we could have beaten them? Sure...I always have faith in my Cardinals.  But, it is over, we can't go back now and play the game again.  I am not happy the Cardinal's season is over, but that is the game of baseball. 

[quote name="setxballfan" post="1226721" timestamp="1338264159"]
Bridge City had a great season.  You can't have errors and strike outs and expect to win at this stage in the play offs.  I wanted BC to pull off the win and advance, but it wasn't in the CARDS for us. 
It will be an interesting match up with Robinson and China Spring.  Would be a great game to watch.  They are in the same district and Robinson has beat CS twice.  But, they haven't seen Sterling Wynn.  So the Hollingsworth/Wynn match up will be a good one. 
From what my son said, the Robinson team played with good sportsmanship and Hollingsworth even got off the bus and came over to speak specifically to my son in the parking lot.  He and a couple of other players complimented his play and hit, and wished him the best in college and looked forward to meeting up with him again.  Not all teams are that way.  It says a lot about those players and thier character.
This is a game for High School kids.  One game, 3 games, shut outs, #1's vs #2's it doesn't matter.  These are High School kids doing the best they can.  None of them want to lose.  Every team wants to go to the State Championship.  It happened the way it happened and the best team that night won.  Period.  Do I think we could have beaten them? Sure...I always have faith in my Cardinals.  But, it is over, we can't go back now and play the game again.  I am not happy the Cardinal's season is over, but that is the game of baseball. 
[/quote]Well said hoss.

Bottom line is robinson's # 1 beat our #1 who didn't get the job done in the last two games and we choked and they didn't. We should have started Guidry he has been the best pitcher of the two through the playoffs. Would not have mattered if we sous have played three out of five we would have lost. I remember people saying when we went to Austin two years in a row. Any coach could take a team with that much talent to Austin well in my opinion this team had as much if not more than those two teams. So I guess that theory was shot to heck

Our #1 didn't get the job done the last two games?
Guidry has out pitched him in the playoffs?
Yes Guidry has thrown well and deserves a lot of credit he is A great pitcher and young man as well. Check out the stats, Lemoine threw a no-no against Hargrave, only 3 hits against Huffman (5 runs, errors) and had 7 Ks, 3 walks and only 5 hits against him when he was pulled against the #1 team. Should he have stayed in? Guess we will never know. But we won and lost as a team all year, and mistakes were made but to say anyone choked is going a little bit to far.

[quote name="JJsDAD" post="1226875" timestamp="1338312552"]
Bottom line is robinson's # 1 beat our #1 who didn't get the job done in the last two games and we choked and they didn't. We should have started Guidry he has been the best pitcher of the two through the playoffs. Would not have mattered if we sous have played three out of five we would have lost. I remember people saying when we went to Austin two years in a row. Any coach could take a team with that much talent to Austin well in my opinion this team had as much if not more than those two teams. So I guess that theory was shot to heck

Our #1 didn't get the job done the last two games?
Guidry has out pitched him in the playoffs?
Yes Guidry has thrown well and deserves a lot of credit he is A great pitcher and young man as well. Check out the stats, Lemoine threw a no-no against Hargrave, only 3 hits against Huffman (5 runs, errors) and had 7 Ks, 3 walks and only 5 hits against him when he was pulled against the #1 team. Should he have stayed in? Guess we will never know. But we won and lost as a team all year, and mistakes were made but to say anyone choked is going a little bit to far.
[/quote]

First you do know that Hargrave and Huffman are the same teams right? and yes Guidry has out performed Lemoine in the playoffs.

Against Huffman lemoine went 1.2 innings and gave up 4 hits, 5runs, 3ER, 2BB and had 1k,  Guidry went 5.1 gave up 0 hits, 0 runs 6BB and had 9ks

Against Rockdale Guidry went 7 innings and gave up 6 hits, 0 runs, 0BB, and had 9ks, Lemoine went 5 innings gave up 0 hits, 0 runs, 3BB, and had 8ks.

Against Robinson Lemoine went 4.1 innings gave up 7 hits, 5 runs, 3ER,3BB and had 7ks, Guidry went 1.2 innings gave up 1 hit, 1 run, 0ER, 0BB, and had 3ks.

Combined in the playoffs Lemoine went 11 innings gave up 11 hits, 10 runs, 6 ER, 8BB,, and had 16ks with an era of 3.81. Guidry went 14 innings gave up 7 hits, 1 run, 0 ER, 6 BB, and had 21ks with an era 0.

I think its pretty clear who was better in the playoffs.

It is a very far stretch to blame Saturday's loss in any way on the shoulders of Lemoine. Lemoine did his part for well over a majority of the game and until costly errors, he had held the Rockets to a single run.
Guidry had great playoff numbers and I would be confident in either guy taking the hill. The fact is Robinson is No. 1 for a reason. They find a way each game to get the job done and never panic.
The fact is Coach Landry had a decision to make and neither choice was the right or wrong choice. Both pitchers would have done their job.
Lemoine had one bad game all year! That is quite an accomplishment and is to be praised, not picked apart. We will never know too if he would have corrected himself against Huffman and still won the game dominated the rest of the way. Landry was forced since it was one game to make the change and Guidry did an outstanding job no hitting the Falcons the rest of the way.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder