How many times have you wanted to do this Gabe?

[quote name="PhatMack19" post="1224062" timestamp="1337401067"]
Tell the truth.  ;D

http://jimromenesko.com/2012/05/18/that-dang-coach/?tw_p=twt
[/quote]

[quote author=jenks link=topic=100073.msg1224072#msg1224072 date=1337403943]
? not sure what the point is? Is this a personal message?
[/quote]

Did you actually read it?  If not, this may work better.  Scroll down a ways after getting to the web page.

http://jimromenesko.com/2012/05/

I've wanted to put something like that in reports at work from time-to-time.  :)

[quote name="LCM76" post="1224120" timestamp="1337436720"]
[quote author=PhatMack19 link=topic=100073.msg1224062#msg1224062 date=1337401067]
Tell the truth.  ;D

[/quote]

[/quote]

Did you actually read it?  If not, this may work better.  Scroll down a ways after getting to the web page.

I've wanted to put something like that in reports at work from time-to-time.  :)
[/quote]

I actually have a rubber stamp that says "Bullshit" and I'm not afraid to use it when appropriate.

From a different perspective. 

What happened to the days when the sportswriters went to and covered the games?  The next day the box score was in the paper and a fine write up was done about the outcome.  Those were the good ole days.  The excuse is going to be not enough reporters.  Sounds like a newspaper problem to me. The new age answer is to have the coach call in the game. 

The coach has done his job which includes, bus duty at 7, facutly meeting at 7:30, taught 8 math classes and an athletic period, graded and recroded two hundred daily grades and tests, had two parent confrences, reviewed the scouting report, drove the bus to the game safely, coached his team to victory, drove the team home safely, monitored the locker room, recorded the statistics, waited for the kids to be picked up, locked up the school, returned the bus to the lot,  and is in hurry to get home to catch a glimpse of his/her family prior to bedtime.
That lazy SOB!

The reporter that needs the scoop to "do his job" should be proactive and go to work at this point.  Call and ask the coach about the game.  If the game is not covered in the paper and the reporter did not even attempt to call and get the scoop that he needed to do his job, I ask the question, who got their job done on this day?  The game was played, but there is no newspaper article.

Analogy:  If a parent did not pick up a player from the school at midnight following the game, is it ok for the coach just to do nothing and leave him there alone?  Or do you think he might be proactive and make a phone call or even drive him home in order to succesfully complete his job on this day?

Retired I do value your side of the equation. I honestly do and respect it very much.
I believe the real problems for the reporters is after the game is when their job truly begins. I know at The Leader we really have only Van and I help as much when I can. Van has to write his game story, fix the photographers pix, design the page update web. And throw in the drive back to office which eats up deadline time. We do try to call coaches. We also are a majority of the time unaware when a game goes final and a coach is done with talking to the team and all else he does.
Factor in games run nearly til 10 on average and our deadlines don't stretch too far past it. There really is almost this auto pilot you go on simply trying to get the page designed and to the press.

To imply reporters in this area don't do there jobs I don't respect though. Our area is very important 95% of local media take care of HS sports first and on a pretty darn good level. The 5% I'll keep to myself but will say its not even my so-called competitor (I don't see it that way) Beaumont Enterprise.

We all do the best we can. I do know in several sports Van and myself have talked with coaches the day of a game and asked them to call in and got nothing. Then to have same coaches call in when one kid does something special. That is fine and warranted but how about the other games? Even in a 12-2 loss someone's son scored and that's special to his family.

It works both ways though I agree but I wanted you get a feel that our night starts after the game.

Gabe

[quote name="retiredoldcoach" post="1224630" timestamp="1337612314"]

What happened to the days when the sportswriters went to and covered the games?  The next day the box score was in the paper and a fine write up was done about the outcome.  Those were the good ole days.  The excuse is going to be not enough reporters.  Sounds like a newspaper problem to me. The new age answer is to have the coach call in the game. 

The coach has done his job which includes, bus duty at 7, facutly meeting at 7:30, taught 8 math classes and an athletic period, graded and recroded two hundred daily grades and tests, had two parent confrences, reviewed the scouting report, drove the bus to the game safely, coached his team to victory, drove the team home safely, monitored the locker room, recorded the statistics, waited for the kids to be picked up, locked up the school, returned the bus to the lot,  and is in hurry to get home to catch a glimpse of his/her family prior to bedtime.
That lazy SOB!

The reporter that needs the scoop to "do his job" should be proactive and go to work at this point.  Call and ask the coach about the game.  If the game is not covered in the paper and the reporter did not even attempt to call and get the scoop that he needed to do his job, I ask the question, who got their job done on this day?  The game was played, but there is no newspaper article.

Analogy:  If a parent did not pick up a player from the school at midnight following the game, is it ok for the coach just to do nothing and leave him there alone?  Or do you think he might be proactive and make a phone call or even drive him home in order to succesfully complete his job on this day?
[/quote]
In older days I would agree but these days how many head coaches actually teach a class or 2 much less 8. I never see a head coach drive a bus anymore either.....except in the other sports (golf, tennis etc...)

[quote name="Eagle11" post="1224699" timestamp="1337620381"]
[quote author=retiredoldcoach link=topic=100073.msg1224630#msg1224630 date=1337612314]

That lazy SOB!

[/quote]
In older days I would agree but these days how many head coaches actually teach a class or 2 much less 8. I never see a head coach drive a bus anymore either.....except in the other sports (golf, tennis etc...)
[/quote]

OK Eagle11

4 classes and he rode the bus.  His job still got done and the story is still not written and I left out the parent conference he had after the game.

No more from me on this.  I was just trying to share a different perspective with you guys.

[quote name="LCM76" post="1224120" timestamp="1337436720"]
[quote author=PhatMack19 link=topic=100073.msg1224062#msg1224062 date=1337401067]
Tell the truth.  ;D

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]
Thanks! That is funny!!

Dear retiredoldcoach, I've been in the newspaper business for almost 20 years, coaches have always called in there scores. Coach Chuck Young called in all his scores. Coach Ronnie Anderson called in all his scores. Coach Sam Moore called in all his scores. Coach Cornel Thompson called in all of his scores. All of the basketball coaches and the softball coaches, volleyball coaches and track coaches continue to call in there scores. Coach Tom Woolley from Bridge City and Coach Bill Tennison of Orangefield never missed calling in their games ever up until they both retired.
When you have seven schools playing games, and you have a one or two-man staff (By the way, in Orange County alone there are close to 50 teams competing in the spring when you count baseball, softball, track, golf, tennis, powerlifing, soccer) you rely on coaches to call in their scores and stats, it's been that way for 20 years. If they don't call in that night, we'll give them a free pass to do it the next day. I'll definitely admit, I tend to cover the folks more that find time enough to call in stats for their kids. I don't know where you are from, retiredoldcoach, but did you coach in Southeast Texas?

Just in case that this does matter to those wishing to weight in, the "Rayne Independent" is not the newspaper in Rayne, LA.  That distinction belongs to the Rayne Acadian-Tribune.  So it may not be that the coach in question here was "blowing off" all of the Acadia Parish media by simply not responding to this inquiry.

Guest tigersvoice
[quote name="LU84" post="1225932" timestamp="1337954868"]
Maybe the newspapers need to hire more people to get their job done. I agree with retiredoldcoach. They can write a much better article if they are actually at the games.
[/quote]
I know a "Locally reknown" former radio station owner up in the Silsbee area that used to announce/broadcast games that he was not at.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    catherine
    Newest Member
    catherine