PN-G loses OC?

[quote name="KHS 89" post="1220594" timestamp="1336686692"]
[quote author=bigdog link=topic=99818.msg1220584#msg1220584 date=1336685369]
But retaining them in your program for consistency is better.  I understand that the overall program won't change because the HC is still there, but coaching styles are different even within the same program.
[/quote]

Certainly.  I agree. 

But you can't prevent or blame someone for wanting to better themselves, coach at the next level, be closer to family or return to where they were born and raised. 

[/quote]

No, I don't blame them at all.  I did the same thing when I moved back to Texas.  I understand going somewhere else to move up the ladder, especially when the HC looks like he will be here for a while.  I was suggesting that the district offer incentives for the coaches to stay to keep the coaching core together.  Ned has had their share of assistants moving around, but the core group with the OC and DC have been the same for many years.  I would guess that they could also go somewhere else to coach at the HC/AD level, but choose not to.

[quote name="bigdog" post="1220746" timestamp="1336745624"]
[quote author=KHS 89 link=topic=99818.msg1220594#msg1220594 date=1336686692]
[quote author=bigdog link=topic=99818.msg1220584#msg1220584 date=1336685369]
But retaining them in your program for consistency is better.  I understand that the overall program won't change because the HC is still there, but coaching styles are different even within the same program.
[/quote]

Certainly.  I agree. 

But you can't prevent or blame someone for wanting to better themselves, coach at the next level, be closer to family or return to where they were born and raised. 

[/quote]

No, I don't blame them at all.  I did the same thing when I moved back to Texas.  I understand going somewhere else to move up the ladder, especially when the HC looks like he will be here for a while.  I was suggesting that the district offer incentives for the coaches to stay to keep the coaching core together.  [b]Ned has had their share of assistants moving around, but the core group with the OC and DC have been the same for many years.  I would guess that they could also go somewhere else to coach at the HC/AD level, but choose not to.[/b][/quote]
They are also Nederland Graduates, thus there is no real pressure on them to "move back home".

I have said it before, Coaching 101 dictates that when there is a better offer the coach will leave. No reason to ever think they are staying for a lifetime. Those days are behind us. But that is how our whole society is now.

Guest KHS 89
[quote name="jenks" post="1220922" timestamp="1336766498"]
I have said it before, Coaching 101 dictates that when there is a better offer the coach will leave. No reason to ever think they are staying for a lifetime. Those days are behind us. But that is how our whole society is now.
[/quote]

I agree jenks.  Although, sometimes, there is an exception to the rule (like apparently in the case of Nederland where no one ever leaves because it is the best of the best).  ::) - But I think PN-G stepped out of the box and hired an outstanding up and coming coach from the "outside" whom they had to know would bring in his assistants and other Coaching personnel from outside of the Port Neches/Groves area. It seems only like a natural progression to me that coaches may want to expand on their experience they have gained at PN-G and possibly coach at a higher level or return back to their roots.  Rather than read that as a negative, I see it as a positive that these coaches are growing their careers and proudly can display PN-G on their resumes.

I do however also agree with bigdog that perhaps the district should offer incentives for these coaches to stay to keep the coaching core together.  Although... even with that in place, I would find it difficult to find fault with a coach that passed up that incentive to accept a job that would bring him back closer to his parents, family or the chance to coach at his alma mater.  JMO   

It is what it is, you've got good coaches who took the PNG job to furthur their careers and for some it is paying off. The same will happen with Coach Faircloth when the right position opens up, he will take it, my guess is it will take a top notch school in the 4a/5a ranks in DFW or Austin area's to make him go, but he will go and you can't blame him, just appreciate him while you have him.

[quote name="KHS 89" post="1220989" timestamp="1336773483"]
[quote author=jenks link=topic=99818.msg1220922#msg1220922 date=1336766498]
[/quote]

I agree jenks.  Although, sometimes, there is an exception to the rule (like apparently in the case of Nederland where no one ever leaves because it is the best of the best).  ::) - But I think PN-G stepped out of the box and hired an outstanding up and coming coach from the "outside" whom they had to know would bring in his assistants and other Coaching personnel from outside of the Port Neches/Groves area. It seems only like a natural progression to me that coaches may want to expand on their experience they have gained at PN-G and possibly coach at a higher level or return back to their roots.  Rather than read that as a negative, I see it as a positive that these coaches are growing their careers and proudly can display PN-G on their resumes.

I do however also agree with bigdog that perhaps the district should offer incentives for these coaches to stay to keep the coaching core together.  Although... even with that in place, I would find it difficult to find fault with a coach that passed up that incentive to accept a job that would bring him back closer to his parents, family or the chance to coach at his alma mater.  JMO 
[/quote]
Good points!

A big part of some programs retaining coaches for long periods of time and have some move on quickly has to do with the state of their family and their age. The coaches that have moved on or that have applied for other jobs to move up have young families. Also, these coaches are relatively young themselves and they are not necessarily ready to settle down in one place, so, they continue to try and climb the ladder.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami