One and Done Rule

I think you have a lot less young men make the mistake of coming out right after high school and then not get drafted. I kind of wish they would have to stay at least 2 years. I've heard Coach K say it can be hard to recruit a kid when you know you are only going to have him for one year.

Did you know that Coach K REFUSED to recruit Lebron James out of high school for that reason....Said it would be a "waste of resources and time"...I think that the NBA should adopt the same policy as the NFL...at LEAST TWO years of college...It would greatly benefit college hoops as well.

I don't say this often, but I agree with dickiev. At least 2 yrs of college would be beneficial to all involved. Nba gets a more polished and physically developed player, colleges have more continuity and better teams, and fans can develop a sense of identity with the college players.

I would love it to be 3 yrs like college football, but that is a pipe dream. As it is now, one and dones go to class one semester then don't even attempt to go to class in the spring because they know they're going pro.

Wow!  Kentucky is making a lot of people upset with their 5 starters going to the Association.  I wonder why there is so much concern with ball players going to the Association early?  One and Done right now sure looks like a whole lot of fun...The Association will not touch it because they are making too much money off of the young players who did leave college early. 

[quote name="Steven_A_Smith" post="1212000" timestamp="1334755074"]
Wow!  Kentucky is making a lot of people upset with their 5 starters going to the Association.  I wonder why there is so much concern with ball players going to the Association early?  One and Done right now sure looks like a whole lot of fun...The Association will not touch it because they are making too much money off of the young players who did leave college early.
[/quote]I'm sure the NCAA is[s] plotting[/s]..errr planing right now to slow down NCAA Minor League train. Maybe 3 and done  :D

[[/quote]I'm sure the NCAA is[s] plotting[/s]..errr planing right now to slow down NCAA Minor League train. Maybe 3 and done  :D
[/quote]

One thing about it BlueDove...
Both sides will have to agree to slow down the Minor League Train and the Association will never agree.  They want all of the stars so they can make the money.

I would rather see something where scouts rate the kids and only the top 10 Highscholl players could jump.  But that would not be fair.  So I say let them jump but if you come to college it must be 2 years.  It is really the individuals issue if they don't get drafted or fail to become a NBA talent. I look at Gerald Green.  If he had went to college he would not have to prove himself 4 years (could have had a college degree) later.  He is a rare one that gets a second chance.  Usually some kid with your same potential comes out two years down the line and they forget about you!

I understand the ideal of the one and done but don't like it. I've kicked around some ideas with some friends. A ideal option would be the same rule as baseball. You have the option to go pro right out of high school but if you sign a LOI with a college you have to commit at least three years. I really like that idea but I wonder if that will make more kids want to go to the d-league or overseas and try to [i]work[/i] their way in the pros versus going to school. I personally think for basketball two and done would be a great idea and more than fair. Gets them in school for two years so they can a least knock out their basics and I think that is perfect time to develop their games. I would love to see college basketball back to competitive dominant programs in the NCAA tournament (even though the mid major runs are fun to watch) and see guys like Anthony Davis dominant and develop so once they get into the NBA they can be a instant impact rather than wait for 2 or 3 for them to do something. I really think one more year for AD under Coach Cal would do him wonders once he gets to the NBA.

Plus, imagine this starting 5 for Kentucky next year. (If there was a two and done rule)

PG Marqus Teague SO.
SG Archie Goodwin FR. #15 ESPN100
SF Alex Poythress FR. #13 ESPN100
PF Anthony Davis SO.
C Nerlens Noel FR. #1 ESPN100 (I wonder if the flat top will be a bigger deal than uni-brow????? http://espn.go.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/97363/nerlens-noel)

What I still have not grasped yet, being an old school ball player, is that many of these kids coming out of college early really do have game.  'Quite Frankly', many people say they have to get stronger, as they said about Durant, Rose, etc. but those kids came into the Association and lit it up!  Yes, they are the exception, but I never thought a One and Done player could come in and do as well as they are today. 

[quote name="Steven_A_Smith" post="1212109" timestamp="1334767456"]
What I still have not grasped yet, being an old school ball player, is that many of these kids coming out of college early really do have game.  'Quite Frankly', many people say they have to get stronger, as they said about Durant, Rose, etc. but those kids came into the Association and lit it up!  Yes, they are the exception, but I never thought a One and Done player could come in and do as well as they are today.
[/quote]If they can do the job, I say so be it and let them play. Its their God -given talent.

Some of those big time high school players might go to different schools if the current Freshman were staying.  For instance, if Anthony Davis, Kidd-Gilchrist, Teague were having to stay in school would those other 3 ESPN100 kids still sign with Kentucky or maybe another school.  Who knows, but either way it would make things better.

[quote name="catfever" post="1212701" timestamp="1334846855"]
Some of those big time high school players might go to different schools if the current Freshman were staying.  For instance, if Anthony Davis, Kidd-Gilchrist, Teague were having to stay in school would those other 3 ESPN100 kids still sign with Kentucky or maybe another school.  Who knows, but either way it would make things better.
[/quote]It does seem like all the top ESPN 50 kids looking at the same schools. Baylor, UT, Kentucky, Okie State, etc, etc, ............ I saw a recruit mention  Georgia. I was surprised.

[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="1212733" timestamp="1334852566"]
[quote author=catfever link=topic=99028.msg1212701#msg1212701 date=1334846855]
[/quote]It does seem like all the top ESPN 50 kids looking at the same schools. Baylor, UT, Kentucky, Okie State, etc, etc, ............ I saw a recruit mention  Georgia. I was surprised.
[/quote]

'Quite Frankly', I am very surprised that Shabazz Muhammad signed with UCLA over Kentucky.  Shabazz is definitely a One and Done.  UCLA also signed Kyle Anderson and Jordan Adams.  That kind of makes me think that someone's hands are getting greased in Westwood. 

[quote name="Steven_A_Smith" post="1212741" timestamp="1334853397"]
[quote author=BLUEDOVE3 link=topic=99028.msg1212733#msg1212733 date=1334852566]
[quote author=catfever link=topic=99028.msg1212701#msg1212701 date=1334846855]
[/quote]

'Quite Frankly', I am very surprised that Shabazz Muhammad signed with UCLA over Kentucky.  Shabazz is definitely a One and Done.  UCLA also signed Kyle Anderson and Jordan Adams.  That kind of makes me think that someone's hands are getting greased in Westwood.
[/quote] hmmmm ;)

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder