The purpose of a coach

I had the priviage of coaching high school athletes more than 20 years ago. Sports has always been a passion of mine and I love high school sports, it is the purest form of competition that is available at any level. I wanted to start this post partly in responce to the recent openings at area schools and partly because I believe that sports even high school sports are becoming dangerously close to falling into the same whole that colleges have fallen into.

Coaches who work for school districts are a breed unto themselves. If you coach JH kids the wins and loses are less important you are there to be sure that the 95% (the non super star) kids learn the fundamentals and get ready for the next level. These kids are hard enough just to keep their focus for more than just a few minutes so these men and women at this level are a credit to their districts because they teach the games as well as make sure the kids get to play the games. Ever been to the first week of JH 7th grade football or volleyball? If you have you know what I mean.

Coaches are at the field house during their season seamingly 24/7. They have to be the janitor, cleaning lady, laundry and even training staff if you are at a smaller school. They do get a coaching stipend, but if they are not at a larger school where they make a bigger base salary then if you figured it by the hour, most of us would never work for that amount. I would also say that most of us would never do it for the average teacher pay either, and no I am not a teacher.

High school coaches are breaking down film, scouting, practicing, driving the bus, repairing the equipment (more and more with shrinking budgets), taking care of the facilities, and then on the sidelines where they are judged by the performance of student athletes that are between the ages of 15 to 18. Now I know all of us are judged in our job performanance, but how many of us are dependent on a team of teenagers to evaluate our performance in our job? Do not get me wrong, there are things that these men and women can do to get in trouble with not only their school but with the law, they are in fact given unpresidented access to our kids, but one area where we have to be careful about juding them is the record that they have in any given season.

Coaches can not control the kids that choose to play a sport. They can not make people move into the district or attendance zone of a school to provide players for a school. They can not hand hold every player to be sure that they maintain their grades so they remain eligable to play. They can not lay hands on injuried players and heal them and they better not place players in harms way by playing them when they could do permanent damage to themselves  by playing if they are injuried. They can not control the break up of their parents marriages, or with their girl friends. They can make them behave off the field and when players are not we often get upset when a coach does something to discipline them saying. "That was not related to the game!"

So as we think about the coaches we have or the ones that we would like to have I think I have a suggestion for what we all should be looking for in these men and women that work with our kids.
1. They must be people of good character - I want to be able to trust them with one of the most precious things that will ever be in my life.
2. They must teach - I want a person who wants to impart knowledge on the field and in the classroom.
3. They must be a role model - I want them to be someone who seeks excellence, but uses the set backs to teach that coming back from losses is important too!
4. They must love what they do - I want someone to want to be doing what they are doing. If they don't it will show.
5. They must keep the game in perspective of it's place in education - I want sports to be something that shows young people that teamwork and helping one another is going to give them things that they will use for a lifetime.

Wins was no where on my list. Wins are a by product of factors that are too often out of control of anyone especially a coach. Can they prepare they teams for the game? Absolutely! Can they put together a plan for a game? Absolutely! Can they control that the team on the other side is not as good as their team? Absolutely not!

If we really want to go down the road where coaches in high school are judged by wins and losses then get ready, because the flood gates to something that you don't want to see will be opened wide. The word will go out that Coach So And So is looking for a new player and that deals are to be made to get a promising JH player to move with his family to a home that a wealthy member of the community owns and is willing to take reduced rent for if the family moves. Think it won't happen, well it already has, maybe not so much now, but it likely will if we start revolving doors at schools that are not winning.

People on SETX Sports know that I like to win and I have enjoyed the Rebels winning alot the past few years, but I am more proud of the product that our coaching staff has put out after graduation than the product on the field or court. If you are looking for a true judge of coaching look at the athletes five to ten years after graduation. Are they men that we are proud to have in our community? If they are and most HS athletes usually are, then in part you can say that a coach is successful. Just listen to those guys or girls when they talk. If they use the phrase, "Well Coach ___________ used to say!" then you will know the true impact of coaches.

A very true and well written post Yeller.I would add that alot of adults,myself incl.coached fundementals/teamwork after work and on weekends for -0- pay to 100's of boys/girls.Most of those still call me coach after many years and that is priceless as far as I'm concerned.We need parents to get involved w/kiddos early.It breaks my heart to see great kids try out for say baseball in their last year of eligibility in that age group. Some parents have never played pitch/catch/bat w/the child,then want to scream/curse a volunteer coach or his/her assistant for not playing them often as kids that have put in the work/time.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder