Yates 99 Manvel 58

BADSANTA

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="stevenash" post="1186604" timestamp="1330354966"]
Nope- Little Dribblers is a LOCAL development program that simply allows mostly amateur coaches to work with kids who are growing up in your locale.
[/quote]
Brought up...RAISED, eating, breathing, and sleeping Hardin Jefferson basketball...ADVANTAGE HJ  8)

[quote name="Dick Vitale" post="1186598" timestamp="1330354452"]
[quote author=NB-Dawg link=topic=96657.msg1186595#msg1186595 date=1330354180]
[quote author=Dick Vitale link=topic=96657.msg1186591#msg1186591 date=1330353877]
[quote author=NB-Dawg link=topic=96657.msg1186553#msg1186553 date=1330350873]
[quote author=ST413 link=topic=96657.msg1186501#msg1186501 date=1330321431]
Now with saying that, I can see where Wise's involvement in AAU could
lead speculation that he has a way of recruiting through said involvement.  But maybe it just gives these kids and  their parents a chance to see him in action and therefore decide to transfer to Yates.
[/quote]
Bingo! We have a winner! Exactly what BD3 said a few months ago. Not sure where he has gone lately, but he brought this up about another coach. Don't remember who it was, but basically saying that by exposing kids to AAU ball, one recruits others to that program, whether intentionally are not.
[/quote]
EVERY coach can coach AAU...Its used to be against the rules, but that
has changed...Its not illegal..I don't like it either, but, thats just the way it is...Its not recruiting, however.
[/quote]
I agree that it's not a traditional way of recruiting, but do you not see how it could be a dress rehearsal for other kids to see? It may not be directly recruiting, but it is a non-traditional form of recruiting, no? When one sees Duke (not comparing anyone  ::) ) on TV, do you think a HS kid might be more influenced to pick that school over another (NC State) who is not on TV as much?
[/quote]
Yes I can agree with that...But, do you realize how many kids are LOST by attending the "suburban" schools? I think it balances out, really...But to say that Coach Wise is recruiting is just wrong...He has made his program attractive by winning, and thats ok...and legal..kinda like being involved in little dribblers...right? ;)
[/quote]
By winning and getting city-wide (heck National) attention, the Yates program indirectly recruits kids to attend their school, just like my example regarding Duke and NC State. Can a Little Dribbler's program indirectly recruit a kid to attend a different school, yes but on a much smaller scale. Little Dribbler's is not getting National coverage anywhere, right? That's what Wise is doing as well. By coaching an AAU team (I know the rules, not his own players), others can see what he's doing and say, "I want to play for Yates". He IS doing that, and it's an indirect method of recruiting, IMO.

[quote name="NB-Dawg" post="1186615" timestamp="1330355216"]
[quote author=Dick Vitale link=topic=96657.msg1186598#msg1186598 date=1330354452]
[quote author=Dick Vitale link=topic=96657.msg1186591#msg1186591 date=1330353877]
lead speculation that he has a way of recruiting through said involvement.  But maybe it just gives these kids and  their parents a chance to see him in action and therefore decide to transfer to Yates.
[/quote]
Bingo! We have a winner! Exactly what BD3 said a few months ago. Not sure where he has gone lately, but he brought this up about another coach. Don't remember who it was, but basically saying that by exposing kids to AAU ball, one recruits others to that program, whether intentionally are not.
[/quote]
has changed...Its not illegal..I don't like it either, but, thats just the way it is...Its not recruiting, however.
[/quote]
I agree that it's not a traditional way of recruiting, but do you not see how it could be a dress rehearsal for other kids to see? It may not be directly recruiting, but it is a non-traditional form of recruiting, no? When one sees Duke (not comparing anyone  ::) ) on TV, do you think a HS kid might be more influenced to pick that school over another (NC State) who is not on TV as much?
[/quote]
Yes I can agree with that...But, do you realize how many kids are LOST by attending the "suburban" schools? I think it balances out, really...But to say that Coach Wise is recruiting is just wrong...He has made his program attractive by winning, and thats ok...and legal..kinda like being involved in little dribblers...right? ;)
[/quote]
By winning and getting city-wide (heck National) attention, the Yates program indirectly recruits kids to attend their school, just like my example regarding Duke and NC State. Can a Little Dribbler's program indirectly recruit a kid to attend a different school, yes but on a much smaller scale. Little Dribbler's is not getting National coverage anywhere, right? That's what Wise is doing as well. By coaching an AAU team (I know the rules, not his own players), others can see what he's doing and say, "I want to play for Yates". He IS doing that, and it's an indirect method of recruiting, IMO.
[/quote]
EVEN if it IS "indirect", its not ILLEGAL...Little Dribblers is RAISING KIDS TO EAT, SLEEP, AND BREATHE your program from the time they are small kids...I would call that a huge advantage for any program. Those kids know your entire coaching staff from the time they are 5, 6, 7 years old....Most others in Houston and Beaumont particularly do not get to know their coach until they reach 9th grade...in MOST cases....Its an advantage.

[quote author=Dick Vitale link=topic=96657.msg1186598#msg1186598 date=1330354452]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
That right there is the truth in his opinion. Lets just leave it at that because neither side is gonna let up.

[quote name="stevenash" post="1186628" timestamp="1330355851"]
The kid who is, today, in the 4th grade little dribblers program, likely will not be coached at the high school by the coach who is there now.  The Little Dribblers program is normally located in relatively small towns where kids participate in all sports, thus diluting your theory.
[/quote]
Call it what you like...I know a miniature "farm system" when I see one! 8)...No pun intended, of course! ;D

Call it a miniature farm system if you like.  The fact is that in a place like HJ, there is a relatively small population from which to draw potential players and it is one way to get kids interested in the game.  Please don't be foolish enough to try to say/infer that the HJ/Silsbee/HF/Orangefield coach has an advantage on a Yates coach when it comes to selecting potential playing personnel.

Nick Wise does not have to recruit... His record says it all... He has been a winner in Houston and everybody knows it.  If you have a kid thatg is focussed on BBALL and is strong enough to avoid peer issues and succed in the classroom.... I would send mine there too!  Now if my kid ias a weak minded follower, he goes to Pearland!

[quote name="stevenash" post="1186644" timestamp="1330356411"]
Call it a miniature farm system if you like.  The fact is that in a place like HJ, there is a relatively small population from which to draw potential players and it is one way to get kids interested in the game.  Please don't be foolish enough to try to say/infer that the HJ/Silsbee/HF/Orangefield coach has an advantage on a Yates coach when it comes to selecting potential playing personnel.
[/quote]
To add to that thought,any small town kids play multiple sports. I would guess that MOST Yates Bball players don't play FB or baseball. In addition, only 3-4 kids from each grade sticks to Bball after participating in LD. Youth baseball teams (everywhere) have existed for decades, which holds the same concept.

[quote name="stevenash" post="1186644" timestamp="1330356411"]
[/quote]
The "selection" for the Yates coach begins when they hit the campus in the 9th grade...NOT as elementary aged kids, as it is in some rural areas...Little Dribblers, if ran correctly, gives a high school basketball program a really good advantage...There is no such entity in Houston...Kids can PLAY little dribblers, but the local coaches have NO CLUE as to where these kids live or where they will attend school...its an advantage, Nash...

[quote author=ABSENT! link=topic=96657.msg1186647#msg1186647 date=1330356591]
Nick Wise does not have to recruit... His record says it all... He has been a winner in Houston and everybody knows it.  If you have a kid thatg is focussed on BBALL and is strong enough to avoid peer issues and succed in the classroom.... I would send mine there too!  Now if my kid ias a weak minded follower, he goes to Pearland!
[/quote]
No, NIC Wise does not...(Thats Greg's son) ;D ;D...But Greg does not either, you're correct! 8)

[quote name="Dick Vitale" post="1186653" timestamp="1330356908"]
[quote author=stevenash link=topic=96657.msg1186644#msg1186644 date=1330356411]
[/quote]
The "selection" for the Yates coach begins when they hit the campus in the 9th grade...NOT as elementary aged kids, as it is in some rural areas...Little Dribblers, if ran correctly, gives a high school basketball program a really good advantage...There is no such entity in Houston...Kids can PLAY little dribblers, but the local coaches have NO CLUE as to where these kids live or where they will attend school...its an advantage, Nash...

[/quote]
No, NIC Wise does not...(Thats Greg's son) ;D ;D...But Greg does not either, you're correct! 8)
[/quote]

Go ahead and tell me that you would prefer to reside in an area where probably 10 kids out of 200 stay with the little dribblers program long enough to play at the high school level(whether they have any ability or not) vs a place where you dont see the kids until the 9th grade (but they have been playing under other coaches until then) but you get to choose from several hundred.

[/quote]
The "selection" for the Yates coach begins when they hit the campus in the 9th grade...NOT as elementary aged kids, as it is in some rural areas...Little Dribblers, if ran correctly, gives a high school basketball program a really good advantage...There is no such entity in Houston...Kids can PLAY little dribblers, but the local coaches have NO CLUE as to where these kids live or where they will attend school...its an advantage, Nash...[/quote]
Come on dickie i know your not that dumb. Are you seriously trying to say that if some kid that is 5'10 and in 7th grade and has been playing basketball since he was 5 he doesn't know which school he's going to? That ridiculous man. And last time i checked the little dribblers basketball program in hj wasn't reserved just for hj kids. Now if i am wrong correct me on it. So technically they don't know which school they will be going to.

[quote name="vp32" post="1186662" timestamp="1330357198"]
[quote author=Dick Vitale link=topic=96657.msg1186653#msg1186653 date=1330356908]
[/quote]
The "selection" for the Yates coach begins when they hit the campus in the 9th grade...NOT as elementary aged kids, as it is in some rural areas...Little Dribblers, if ran correctly, gives a high school basketball program a really good advantage...There is no such entity in Houston...Kids can PLAY little dribblers, but the local coaches have NO CLUE as to where these kids live or where they will attend school...its an advantage, Nash...[/quote]
Come on dickie i know your not that dumb. Are you seriously trying to say that if some kid that is 5'10 and in 7th grade and has been playing basketball since he was 5 he doesn't know which school he's going to? That ridiculous man. And last time i checked the little dribblers basketball program in hj wasn't reserved just for hj kids. Now if i am wrong correct me on it. So technically they don't know which school they will be going to.
[/quote]
In HOUSTON? No they don't! Thats what I am trying to tell you all on here...Could ANYONE that saw Nic Wise play with the Houston Hoops AAU program as a 5th grader (as I did) predict he would play at KINGWOOD? The FOUNDER of the Houston Hoops is a Kingwood guy, and didn't expect it! NO...You NEVER know where a kid will end up.

[quote author=stevenash link=topic=96657.msg1186660#msg1186660 date=1330357108]
[quote author=Dick Vitale link=topic=96657.msg1186653#msg1186653 date=1330356908]
[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]

Go ahead and tell me that you would prefer to reside in an area where probably 10 kids out of 200 stay with the little dribblers program long enough to play at the high school level(whether they have any ability or not) vs a place where you dont see the kids until the 9th grade (but they have been playing under other coaches until then) but you get to choose from several hundred.
[/quote]

Several HUNDRED?...Thats a fallacy about Houston....although it very well MAY be several hundred kids, there are also MORE than a 100 schools to choose from as well, so for each program, that number gets smaller and smaller....Its not what some of you think it is in Houston.

[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]

Thanks for the correction... i get all caught up in the Wises!! lol

[b]By winning and getting city-wide (heck National) attention, the Yates program indirectly recruits kids to attend their school[/b], just like my example regarding Duke and NC State. Can a Little Dribbler's program indirectly recruit a kid to attend a different school, yes but on a much smaller scale. Little Dribbler's is not getting National coverage anywhere, right? That's what Wise is doing as well. By coaching an AAU team (I know the rules, not his own players), others can see what he's doing and say, "I want to play for Yates". He IS doing that, and it's an indirect method of recruiting, IMO.
[/quote]But now you are simply saying that Wise is recruiting  [u][b]simply by being a very good coach[/b][/u].  That is a FAR CRY from what you what outright accusing him of earlier in the thread.

DV, it's simple math.  Yes, Nederland, HJ, or others who have good LD programs have an advantage, but the pool is pretty small to choose from.  It allows you to groom kids, but the talent pool is small. 

In Houston, no you probably don't groom the kids from a young age, but the talent pool is huge.  If a kid can choose his school within HISD (and he can from what you have said), then the cream of the crop can and will choose Yates.  It is happening now, right?  The pool to choose from is absolutely huge compared to what is over here in this area. 

This deal is "apples & oranges" to borrow one of your phrases.  Give Yates credit for doing what they are doing, and taking advantage of the system available to them.  Give Nederland and HJ credit for doing what they are doing here with what is available to them.  But to compare the two is a fallacy, plain and simple. 

"Apples & oranges".........................................................................................

[quote name="Pumper" post="1186981" timestamp="1330385103"]
DV, it's simple math.  Yes, Nederland, HJ, or others who have good LD programs have an advantage, but the pool is pretty small to choose from.  It allows you to groom kids, but the talent pool is small. 

In Houston, no you probably don't groom the kids from a young age, but the talent pool is huge.  If a kid can choose his school within HISD (and he can from what you have said), then the cream of the crop can and will choose Yates.  It is happening now, right?  The pool to choose from is absolutely huge compared to what is over here in this area. 

This deal is "apples & oranges" to borrow one of your phrases.  Give Yates credit for doing what they are doing, and taking advantage of the system available to them.  Give Nederland and HJ credit for doing what they are doing here with what is available to them.  But to compare the two is a fallacy, plain and simple. 

"Apples & oranges".........................................................................................
[/quote]

8)

Apples= small pool to pull from, ONE school to attend
Oranges= larger pool to pull from, HUNDREDS of schools to attend

PICK ONE...The talent is often diluted among hundreds of Houston area schools....Yates is the hot spot for now...LOTS of schools has had their TURN in the Houston area...Willowridge, Bellaire, Milby, and now Yates...Very few programs have maintained success without being the "it" school..And it is difficult to maintain...Schools like Wheatley and Madison survive off of basketball tradition...The steady stream of real talent is in the suburban areas now...Families do not live in the inner city anymore...Grandma is still there, but there are not many young families there anymore...THUS the reason why it is difficult to maintain being the "it" school.

[quote name="NB-Dawg" post="1187003" timestamp="1330389037"]
The HISD website lists 39 High Schools in the District in which a student can choose to attend.
[/quote]
I am speaking of SURROUNDING districts as well....Alief, Fort Bend, Katy, Humble, Aldine, Clear Creek, Pasadena, Pearland, etc......(there are more) HUNDREDS of schools....Privates too...

[quote name="Dick Vitale" post="1187006" timestamp="1330389437"]
[quote author=NB-Dawg link=topic=96657.msg1187003#msg1187003 date=1330389037]
The HISD website lists 39 High Schools in the District in which a student can choose to attend.
[/quote]
I am speaking of SURROUNDING districts as well....Alief, Fort Bend, Katy, Humble, Aldine, Clear Creek, Pasadena, Pearland, etc......(there are more) HUNDREDS of schools....Privates too...
[/quote]
Oh, gotcha. I thought the discussion was only about kids who live in HISD can choose which school they attend before their 9th grade year begins. So, can a kid who lives under the HISD umbrella attend a school in FBISD if he chooses?

[quote name="NB-Dawg" post="1187008" timestamp="1330389790"]
[quote author=Dick Vitale link=topic=96657.msg1187006#msg1187006 date=1330389437]
[quote author=NB-Dawg link=topic=96657.msg1187003#msg1187003 date=1330389037]
[/quote]
[/quote]
Oh, gotcha. I thought the discussion was only about kids who live in HISD can choose which school they attend before their 9th grade year begins. So, can a kid who lives under the HISD umbrella attend a school in FBISD if he chooses?
[/quote]
Yeah, thats correct...If he attends as a 9th grader, he is good to go right away if he makes a varsity team...If he transfers into Fort Bend, he must provide proof of residence, or he can't play varsity for a calandar year...They are pretty strict about it too in FBISD, and will not allow it if they suspect its for athletic purposes.

[quote name="ozensfinest" post="1187079" timestamp="1330393907"]
Yates recruits plain and simple simple and plain like i said in a earlier post I knew Xavier (who played on the 2008-2009 state championship team) personally and he was from LUFKIN originally and just so happen to go makes his way all the way to 3rd explain this to me DICKIE V please
[/quote]
What if the kid MOVED to that area from Lufkin? If you are talking about Xavier Robertson, he DID move less than a mile from the school as a FRESHMAN, actually..How do I know? I recruited him when I coached Lamar State!! ;)...He was not recruited to go to Yates...try again....So if he moved near FB Hightower, and went there would you jump on the "he recruited him" bandwagon, and accuse Coach Green of recruiting, too? Probably not...People kill me when they DONT know that they DONT KNOW.. ::) ::)

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami

• What the writer stated wrt crossover votes in the primary/runoff: "Covey and his supporters Paxton and Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick said Phelan only won because Democrats crossed over to vote in the Republican Primary for him. Paxton said Covey’s campaign identified “at least” 1,442 Democrats who voted early in Jefferson County in the primary runoff. Texas does not have party registration, but a voter’s primary voting history is public. The Covey campaign has not released its methodology behind its claim, but  This is the hidden content, please Sign In or Sign Up  by The Texan news website found that 9% of Republican voters in the March District 21 primary had voted in one of the previous four Democratic primaries. However, only 5% of that group had voted in all four previous Democratic primaries. What Phelan’s opponents did not mention is historically Democratic Jefferson County is undergoing a political transition towards the Republican party — the county judge switched his affiliation to the GOP in 2017 — so many residents have a mixed primary voting history. And Phelan’s allies in the House dismissed the idea that liberals swung the election. "I knocked on doors, hundreds and hundreds of doors, made calls for Dade,” Republican Rep. Jeff Leach, R-Plano, said on Mark Davis’ radio program Wednesday. “I did not speak to a single Democrat down here in HD21. Not a single one." "  
    • He's with it enough to do what he's told, beginning day 1 when he signed the order to revoke the Keystone Pipeline project.  But more recently, he's protecting the DOJ, as well as himself ...  This is the hidden content, please Sign In or Sign Up  
    • Most 75-80 year Olds have some type of cognitive impairment. If you are asking if Biden has dementia then my answer is no. That is a Republican talking point. If you all think he has dementia what type do you think he has?
    • A lot better showing from the Ags tonight!   Bring on Oregon 
  • Topics