Yates 99 Manvel 58

BADSANTA

[quote name="stevenash" post="1186398" timestamp="1330309433"]
[quote author=BADSANTA link=topic=96657.msg1186391#msg1186391 date=1330308966]
Somebody transferred to Vidor for basketball? Awesome!
[/quote]

Yes, there was one guy who understood he probably was not going to make it in the NBA and he needed to prepare himself properly for that eventuality.  The country could use a few more like him. 
[/quote]
This area has had ONE NBA player in the last 10 years and TWO in the last 15....BOTH coached by the same guy...coincidental, huh? ::) ::)

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Absolutely not coincidental.  Those two young men had no size and ability whatsoever and if they had not been coached by a particular individual, they would not have made it to the NBA because no other coach has that ability.  Just as an aside, I have a very close physician friend who grew up in Port Arthur and knows the basketball scene very very well.  He told me about a player from that area who was a high school All American whom he recently observed rummaging through a dumpster.  Maybe the thought of that concerned the young man who transferred to Vidor.

[quote name="stevenash" post="1186409" timestamp="1330309932"]
Absolutely not coincidental.  Those two young men had no size and ability whatsoever and if they had not been coached by a particular individual, they would not have made it to the NBA because no other coach has that ability.  Just as an aside, I have a very close physician friend who grew up in Port Arthur and knows the basketball scene very very well.  He told me about a player from that area who was a high school All American whom he recently observed rummaging through a dumpster.  Maybe the thought of that concerned the young man who transferred to Vidor.
[/quote]
Jokes aside, thats truly a sad siutation...On a different note, there were SEVERAL players with size and talent that were NOT coached by this individual, that did not make it to that plateau....still a coincidence? 8)

[quote name="Dick Vitale" post="1186411" timestamp="1330310166"]
[quote author=stevenash link=topic=96657.msg1186409#msg1186409 date=1330309932]
[/quote]
Jokes aside, thats truly a sad siutation...On a different note, there were SEVERAL players with size and talent that were NOT coached by this individual, that did not make it to that plateau....still a coincidence? 8)
[/quote]

If you want to go that route, this individual has coached a myriad of players with size and talent who also did not make it to the NBA.  Karl Malone and Joe Dumars were not NBA players because of their high school coaches.  If J'Covan gets drafted, will it be because of Rick Barnes or does credit go to Knowles and Henderson?

I have remembered this about magnet schools from the past and had been wondering about it.

This is the statement from the prvious alignment:

(4) Multiple High School Districts with schools in more than one conference, one of which is a magnet
school. A multiple high school district with schools in more than one conference, one of which is a
magnet school, shall have the magnet school placed in the same conference as the high school in that
school district with the largest enrollment. A magnet school is defined as a high school within a
multiple high school district where all students participate in the magnet curriculum.

From  http://www.uiltexas.org/files/alignments/rr-release-information-2010.pdf

I had been wondering why Ozen, and Central were allowed in 4A instead of 5A.  Are these schools not considered true magnet schools or what is the true meaning of this rule.  I noticed many of the Houston schools including Yates this year listed as magnet,  but by how I am taking this rule they would have had to be in 5A as well.  Can anyone explain this rule statement.

[quote name="stevenash" post="1186409" timestamp="1330309932"]
[/quote]LOL! Wow! I was with one of those former NBA players [color=red]tonite[/color] in Houston. And trust me, he didn't look like he had been digging out of a dumpster.

[quote name="stevenash" post="1186428" timestamp="1330311342"]
[quote author=Dick Vitale link=topic=96657.msg1186411#msg1186411 date=1330310166]
[/quote]
[/quote]

If you want to go that route, this individual has coached a myriad of players with size and talent who also did not make it to the NBA.  Karl Malone and Joe Dumars were not NBA players because of their high school coaches.  If J'Covan gets drafted, will it be because of Rick Barnes or does credit go to Knowles and Henderson?
[/quote]
Not looking for credit...just acknowledgement of the fact...or coincidence...However you would like to deem it... 8)

[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="1186434" timestamp="1330311832"]
[/quote]LOL! Wow! I was with one of those former NBA players [color=red]tonite[/color] in Houston. And trust me, he didn't look like he had been digging out of a dumpster.
[/quote]

If you will double check, I was referring to a High School All American who obviously never got to earn an NBA salary.  But I can show you a number of NBA stars who severely mismanaged their $ and are effectively broke.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espnmag/story?id=3469271

[quote name="Dick Vitale" post="1186442" timestamp="1330312361"]
[quote author=stevenash link=topic=96657.msg1186428#msg1186428 date=1330311342]
[quote author=Dick Vitale link=topic=96657.msg1186411#msg1186411 date=1330310166]
[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]
Not looking for credit...just acknowledgement of the fact...or coincidence...However you would like to deem it... 8)
[/quote]

I will be more than happy to acknowledge the fact that both of these players played for a particular coach.  I am, at the same time, not convinced that they couldnt have achieved what they have if they had been coached by someone else.

Yes true magnet schools are supposed to participate in the classification of the highest enrollment school within their isd. 

It's word for word from the UIL guidelines posted earlier in this thread.

I think Yates, central, and other magnet schools skirt this by claiming they are not a true magnet school as defined by the UIL. The UIL states that ALL students must participate within the magnet program to be considered a magnet school. This is a nice little loophole that keeps them from having to participate in 5A.

Honestly in HISD, there is no real advantage....due to the fact that they have open enrollment anyway..However, with magnet status, in certain instances you are able to get kids in without discussion, as long as its not determined that the kids are there for athletic purposes only...When the sending coach signs off on a transfer, that pretty much kills that...Which is why I have always said these claims of recruitment and using the magnet school status were so ridiculous..

So basically open enrollment and a magnet school are pretty much the same thing.  If you transfer into the school,  you sit out either time penalty and then you are eligible.  So either one could be "recruiting" by reputation.... So I can't see Yates as being guilty of anything unless it can be proven that a coach recruied ,any more than any other school with one of those designations and a good history...

Now with saying that, I can see where Wise's involvement in AAU could lead speculation that he has a way of recruiting through said involvement.  But maybe it just gives these kids and  their parents a chance to see him in action and therefore decide to transfer to Yates.

[quote name="Aces_Full" post="1186483" timestamp="1330317101"]
Yes true magnet schools are supposed to participate in the classification of the highest enrollment school within their isd. 

I think Yates, central, and other magnet schools skirt this by claiming they are not a true magnet school as defined by the UIL. The UIL states that ALL students must participate within the magnet program to be considered a magnet school. This is a nice little loophole that keeps them from having to participate in 5A.
[/quote]

Hello.

[quote name="ST413" post="1186501" timestamp="1330321431"]
Now with saying that, I can see where Wise's involvement in AAU could lead speculation that he has a way of recruiting through said involvement.  But maybe it just gives these kids and  their parents a chance to see him in action and therefore decide to transfer to Yates.
[/quote]
Pretty much...yes.

[quote author=baddog link=topic=96657.msg1186505#msg1186505 date=1330337221]
[quote author=Aces_Full link=topic=96657.msg1186483#msg1186483 date=1330317101]

[/quote]

Hello.
[/quote]

NO...wrong again..hello? ::)

[quote name="ST413" post="1186501" timestamp="1330321431"]
[/quote]
Bingo! We have a winner! Exactly what BD3 said a few months ago. Not sure where he has gone lately, but he brought this up about another coach. Don't remember who it was, but basically saying that by exposing kids to AAU ball, one recruits others to that program, whether intentionally are not.

[quote name="NB-Dawg" post="1186553" timestamp="1330350873"]
[quote author=ST413 link=topic=96657.msg1186501#msg1186501 date=1330321431]
[/quote]
Bingo! We have a winner! Exactly what BD3 said a few months ago. Not sure where he has gone lately, but he brought this up about another coach. Don't remember who it was, but basically saying that by exposing kids to AAU ball, one recruits others to that program, whether intentionally are not.
[/quote]
EVERY coach can coach AAU...Its used to be against the rules, but that has changed...Its not illegal..I don't like it either, but, thats just the way it is...Its not recruiting, however.

[quote name="Dick Vitale" post="1186591" timestamp="1330353877"]
[quote author=NB-Dawg link=topic=96657.msg1186553#msg1186553 date=1330350873]
[/quote]
[/quote]
EVERY coach can coach AAU...Its used to be against the rules, but that has changed...Its not illegal..I don't like it either, but, thats just the way it is...Its not recruiting, however.
[/quote]
I agree that it's not a traditional way of recruiting, but do you not see how it could be a dress rehearsal for other kids to see? It may not be directly recruiting, but it is a non-traditional form of recruiting, no? When one sees Duke (not comparing anyone  ::) ) on TV, do you think a HS kid might be more influenced to pick that school over another (NC State) who is not on TV as much?

[quote name="NB-Dawg" post="1186595" timestamp="1330354180"]
[quote author=Dick Vitale link=topic=96657.msg1186591#msg1186591 date=1330353877]
[quote author=NB-Dawg link=topic=96657.msg1186553#msg1186553 date=1330350873]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
I agree that it's not a traditional way of recruiting, but do you not see how it could be a dress rehearsal for other kids to see? It may not be directly recruiting, but it is a non-traditional form of recruiting, no? When one sees Duke (not comparing anyone  ::) ) on TV, do you think a HS kid might be more influenced to pick that school over another (NC State) who is not on TV as much?
[/quote]
Yes I can agree with that...But, do you realize how many kids are LOST by attending the "suburban" schools? I think it balances out, really...But to say that Coach Wise is recruiting is just wrong...He has made his program attractive by winning, and thats ok...and legal..kinda like being involved in little dribblers...right? ;)

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    TankParrish83
    Newest Member
    TankParrish83