Free Throw Percentage

ST413

I know a lot was made of the poor free throw shooting HJ had in the loss to the Tigers.  Tonight in WOS they shot 58%.  I saw another comment about not shooting them well tonight.  I know as fans we feel that way in many games.  But I haven't really paid a lot of attention to the percentages of many schools.  What is considered a decent percentage for a good high school team.  My thinking has been that it wouldn't be a whole lot better than that 58% just because you are dealing with high school kids. Granted you could see some good percentages for individuals and the percentages could be skewed on some teams by a few players more involved in the game and therefore shooting more free throws. 

[quote name="ST413" post="1163851" timestamp="1327126979"]
I know a lot was made of the poor free throw shooting HJ had in the loss to the Tigers.  Tonight in WOS they shot 58%.  I saw another comment about not shooting them well tonight.  I know as fans we feel that way in many games.  But I haven't really paid a lot of attention to the percentages of many schools.  What is considered a decent percentage for a good high school team.  My thinking has been that it wouldn't be a whole lot better than that 58% just because you are dealing with high school kids. Granted you could see some good percentages for individuals and the percentages could be skewed on some teams by a few players more involved in the game and therefore shooting more free throws.
[/quote]

C'mon ST413, let's let them have their excuse. ;) ;D

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="1163852" timestamp="1327127305"]
[quote author=ST413 link=topic=94660.msg1163851#msg1163851 date=1327126979]
[/quote]

[/quote]

Our only excuse is that we lost to a superior team. 

[quote name="bmrm" post="1163859" timestamp="1327128409"]
[quote author=AggiesAreWe link=topic=94660.msg1163852#msg1163852 date=1327127305]
[quote author=ST413 link=topic=94660.msg1163851#msg1163851 date=1327126979]
[/quote]

[/quote]

Our only excuse is that we lost to a superior team.
[/quote]

That's not what "some" of the HJ fans have been stating. ;)

bmrm, nice comment.

From what I have seen I would say 65% would be a reasonable number for a "TEAM" free throw percentage at the high school level. No expert, just my opinion from stats I have viewed and past experiences. The game is evolving from a "pound it inside to the  big man" game into a more "fast break three point shooting" style of game with a lot less emphasis on free throws. Teams just don't spend the time shooting free throws in practice like they used to. The days of pistol pete are over. JMHO

Guest tigersvoice
[quote name="UKCats" post="1163861" timestamp="1327128906"]
From what I have seen I would say 65% would be a reasonable number for a "TEAM" free throw percentage at the high school level. No expert, just my opinion from stats I have viewed and past experiences. The game is evolving from a "pound it inside to the  big man" game into a more "fast break three point shooting" style of game with a lot less emphasis on free throws. Teams just don't spend the time shooting free throws in practice like they used to. The days of pistol pete are over. JMHO
[/quote]
Man, Pistol Pete was the "Vanguard" of the modern game.  His break down the court at breakneck speed and pull-up, shoot from anywhere, style - is that not what we mostly see these days?

[quote name="Tigersvoice" post="1163885" timestamp="1327153935"]
[quote author=UKCats link=topic=94660.msg1163861#msg1163861 date=1327128906]
[/quote]
Man, Pistol Pete was the "Vanguard" of the modern game.  His break down the court at breakneck speed and pull-up, shoot from anywhere, style - is that not what we mostly see these days?
[/quote]

I was thinking more specifically about the Hollywood depiction of pistol Pete where he makes all those free throws in a row. Making reference to the fact that free throw shooting is a lost art.

Guest tigersvoice
[quote name="UKCats" post="1163943" timestamp="1327163536"]
[quote author=Tigersvoice link=topic=94660.msg1163885#msg1163885 date=1327153935]
[quote author=UKCats link=topic=94660.msg1163861#msg1163861 date=1327128906]
[/quote]
[/quote]

I was thinking more specifically about the Hollywood depiction of pistol Pete where he makes all those free throws in a row. Making reference to the fact that free throw shooting is a lost art.
[/quote]
Oh.  8)

[quote name="NB-Dawg" post="1163953" timestamp="1327164945"]
http://www.basketball-reference.com/leaders/ft_pct_career.html
[/quote]

Those numbers arent a good reference here. Those are the elite. I am talking about high schools more so a good high school team, not a great one and not one of those pitiful ones either.

[quote name="ST413" post="1163995" timestamp="1327172425"]
[quote author=NB-Dawg link=topic=94660.msg1163953#msg1163953 date=1327164945]
http://www.basketball-reference.com/leaders/ft_pct_career.html
[/quote]

Those numbers arent a good reference here. Those are the elite. I am talking about high schools more so a good high school team, not a great one and not one of those pitiful ones either.
[/quote]
I agree. I just posted that to demonstrate the best of the best. I stated earlier that 65% is acceptable in HS.

There is no excuse not to be prepared to shoot free throws in crucial situations.The players should take it upon themselves to shoot 100 free throws at the end of every practice.You do it when everyday and it becomes repetition.You shoot 50% from the line in close games and you'll get beat more often than not.

[quote name="whsalum" post="1164389" timestamp="1327286155"]
There is no excuse not to be prepared to shoot free throws in crucial situations.The players should take it upon themselves to shoot 100 free throws at the end of every practice.You do it when everyday and it becomes repetition.You shoot 50% from the line in close games and you'll get beat more often than not.
[/quote] Agree 100%.  I'm sure the Hawks are exhausted by the end of practice-- but that's the best time to practice free throws, and a clear demonstration of will and leadership if the kids take it upon themselves to shoot 100 FTs when they're ready to drop.  That Silsbee debacle should be a lesson learned on the road to state.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami