PA Titans voted out of the STJFL????

BigTitan

Is there someone that can explain why Port Arthur was voted out of the STJFL.  There is no reason for denying our kids to play in this league that has teams from all over the area.  Its only proper for someone that was involoved in the process to explain what happened.  This is wrong on so many levels.  STJFL, its time to step up and do some explaining.

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The STJFL Inc. is a non-profit youth based organization made up of communities both large and small from all over Southeast Texas. The primary goal of the STJFL is to provide all children of Southeast Texas an opportunity to participate in the Great American sport of Youth Football and Cheer. The STJFL emphasizes the value of discipline, team play, individual growth, self-confidence, and a commitment to learning. Come join or visit the STJFL for the experience of a lifetime.  This statement comes from the STJFL website homepage.
________________________________________________________________________________
As the first league EVER to be voted out of the STJFL you will not read a response to your question from the STJFL.  Unless you attend a STJFL board meeting and ask to see the minutes from the vote which eliminated PA from the league.  Did I say the first team? Ever? to be voted out? Chances are if you happened to attend such meeting I am sure STJFL board members will hide behind any unwritten rule that they can come up with, so good luck with the search for your answer. 

I just can't see the entire league being voted out.  If there was a problem with a coach or parent, then that should be a conversation or meeting with that person.  If rules were broken, then you take it up with the people that broke the rules.  What the STJFL has done is tell over 150 kids from Port Arthur is that they arent worthy of competing with them.  I don't see 1 reason why this should happen to any city.  I know board members of the STJFL visit this site.  Please step up and give a valid reason why this happened.  If an answer isn't given, then you leave room for everyone to speculate on why our kids arent good enough to play with your kids. 

Not sure about STJFL, but most teams have a board for their team in their  league. You would think a board member from PA would have the answer. If the STJFL did not notify PA of any issues of why they were voted out or would be voted out, that is not good. Sad for the kids, its about the kids, and should have a rep to see what can be done to keep them in the league. I know some teams were dropped from my kids league, because dues were not paid or teams always breaking rules, or the distance was just too much for other teams and got to be a problem with travel. Not saying this is what happen but would think some kind of notice would had been given and a reason would be given to the parents and kids.  Heard BMT Bulls were dropped from TIFI as well.

I  know of any violations Port Arthur Made,and they were punished for the one that they did make. It just looks like they just didnt want ther kids playing with kids from Port Arthur. I hope this is broadcasted on the news and newspaper in every shape form and fashion of why when this went on .Those kids in Port Arthur did not deserve this ,Nor their president He did all he could at the end of the day It boiled down to they just did not want there kids to Play with kids From Port Arthur .

[quote name="BigTitan" post="1160270" timestamp="1326594511"]
Is there someone that can explain why Port Arthur was voted out of the STJFL.  There is no reason for denying our kids to play in this league that has teams from all over the area.  Its only proper for someone that was involoved in the process to explain what happened.  This is wrong on so many levels.  STJFL, its time to step up and do some explaining.
[/quote]

Lets be honest here. It is a shame that Port Arthur were voted out of STJFL. We can all blame it on violations, cheating, stacking and many other reasons. But the truth will never come out! It was one thing for the Port Arthur kids to have good talent and win their games but it becomes a problem in STJFL League when they win too many games! If anyone remembers, Port Arthur was punished for the assuption of STACKING, in which STJFL punished them by taking playoff opportuinity away. A punishment that was harsh but also taken with pride and the kids still had an opportunity to participate. During the entire football season, there are only a handful of incidents that can be named out of all their 5 teams, compared to other STJFL teams that had MORE THAN A FEW!

Is this a good enough reason why the entire organization is kicked out?

No! Unfortunatly, many don't want to admit it, but I am pretty sure that athletic ability and race played a part of it! It is just sad that in the yr of 2012 people are still discriminated against, and most of all it not only affects the adults, but about 150 children as well. There should have been a better resolution to this situation, but to STJFL kicking Port Arthur out was their solution. I know that everyboy don't agree and this is a fourm of opinions, this is just mine

[quote name="TITANS2011" post="1161185" timestamp="1326739186"]
[quote author=BigTitan link=topic=94298.msg1160270#msg1160270 date=1326594511]
[/quote]

Lets be honest here. It is a shame that Port Arthur were voted out of STJFL. We can all blame it on violations, cheating, stacking and many other reasons. But the truth will never come out! It was one thing for the Port Arthur kids to have good talent and win their games but it becomes a problem in STJFL League when they win too many games! If anyone remembers, Port Arthur was punished for the assuption of STACKING, in which STJFL punished them by taking playoff opportuinity away. A punishment that was harsh but also taken with pride and the kids still had an opportunity to participate. During the entire football season, there are only a handful of incidents that can be named out of all their 5 teams, compared to other STJFL teams that had MORE THAN A FEW!

No! Unfortunatly, many don't want to admit it, but I am pretty sure that athletic ability and [size=14pt][color=red][u][b]race played a part of it[/b][/u][/color][/size]! It is just sad that in the yr of 2012 people are still discriminated against, and most of all it not only affects the adults, but about 150 children as well. There should have been a better resolution to this situation, but to STJFL kicking Port Arthur out was their solution. I know that everyboy don't agree and this is a fourm of opinions, this is just mine
[/quote]

And as long as people like you get on here and spew this crap without facts to support it....it will stay live and well....but then again, its become expected not only on this site but most anywhere...

Why not offer facts (if known) or wait until they are...rather than make assumptions to this degree....if RACE is in fact the reason and you KNOW that and can PROVE that...then those  responsible should be punished while returning PA to the league....if you cant...then it just make those playing the "race card" look all the more ignorant!

[quote name="58SHW" post="1161194" timestamp="1326741077"]
[quote author=TITANS2011 link=topic=94298.msg1161185#msg1161185 date=1326739186]
[/quote]

No! Unfortunatly, many don't want to admit it, but I am pretty sure that athletic ability and [size=14pt][color=red][u][b]race played a part of it[/b][/u][/color][/size]! It is just sad that in the yr of 2012 people are still discriminated against, and most of all it not only affects the adults, but about 150 children as well. There should have been a better resolution to this situation, but to STJFL kicking Port Arthur out was their solution. I know that everyboy don't agree and this is a fourm of opinions, this is just mine
[/quote]

And as long as people like you get on here and spew this crap without facts to support it....it will stay live and well....but then again, its become expected not only on this site but most anywhere...

Why not offer facts (if known) or wait until they are...rather than make assumptions to this degree....if RACE is in fact the reason and you KNOW that and can PROVE that...then those  responsible should be punished while returning PA to the league....if you cant...then it just make those playing the "race card" look all the more ignorant!
[/quote]

You want facts okay!
#1. Stjfl punished Port Arthur for improper registration. A punishment that was served out
#2. Port Arthur played a great season without altercations that lead up to indefinate suspension, disqualifications, or MPRs not being met.
#3. Port Arthur's overall wins vs. loses were the best in the league.
#4. The fate of Port Arthur was not an issue during the entire season.
#5. Port Arthur's kids were not able to participated in the Super Bowl to be crowned champions but they were asked to participate in the Pro Bowl (to help the other teams)

WHAT MORE CAN I SAY or WHAT OTHER FACTS DO YOU WANT?

Let me guess these facts are all reason why Port Arthur should STAY IN STJFL? Or are these facts the reason WHY THEY WERE KICKED OUT?

QUOTE: The only thing worst than someone being racist, is PRETENDING THAT THEY ARE NOT!

[quote name="TITANS2011" post="1161204" timestamp="1326741932"]
[quote author=58SHW link=topic=94298.msg1161194#msg1161194 date=1326741077]
[quote author=TITANS2011 link=topic=94298.msg1161185#msg1161185 date=1326739186]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

You want facts okay!
#1. Stjfl punished Port Arthur for improper registration. A punishment that was served out
#2. Port Arthur played a great season without altercations that lead up to indefinate suspension, disqualifications, or MPRs not being met.
#5. Port Arthur's kids were not able to participated in the Super Bowl to be crowned champions but they were asked to participate in the Pro Bowl (to help the other teams)

Let me guess these facts are all reason why Port Arthur should STAY IN STJFL? Or are these facts the reason WHY THEY WERE KICKED OUT?

[b]QUOTE: The only thing worst than someone being racist, is PRETENDING THAT THEY ARE NOT![/b][/quote]

There you go again....No way to "prove" whether I am or am not a racist based on what I said....your comments however is "proof" you played the race card.....

Even "if" what you say is correct and are facts, what is there to gain by bashing STJFL on this basis. It would seem to me, it would only create more hostility. Therefore you aren't helping the kids of PA, you are doing them no more good than the ones you accuse.... ;)

To be proactive rather than reactive might serve you and the kids of PA better.....just saying

I dont have a dog in this hunt....or even know anything about either party. I just saw the race card and frankly get tired of it....no one gains from taking that approach, even if it is fact. Race is a barrier built by people who aren't tolerant of others that are different in looks only....both are equally bad....those who display it...and those who accuse (especially without proof)....the only way to break those barriers is to be the better person (on either side).

Especially when kids are envolved....good luck PA figuring out whats best for the KIDS!

Guest tigersvoice
[quote name="58SHW" post="1161212" timestamp="1326743320"]
I dont have a dog in this hunt....or even know anything about either party. I just saw the race card and frankly get tired of it....no one gains from taking that approach, even if it is fact. Race is a barrier built by people who aren't tolerant of others that are different in looks only....both are equally bad....those who display it...and those who accuse (especially without proof)....the only way to break those barriers is to be the better person (on either side).

Especially when kids are envolved....good luck PA figuring out whats best for the KIDS!
[/quote]
Great is a word that is over used - and I rarely use it in a post or comment.  But, your's was a GREAT post.

[quote name="TITANS2011" post="1161204" timestamp="1326741932"]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

You want facts okay!

QUOTE: The only thing worst than someone being racist, is PRETENDING THAT THEY ARE NOT!
[/quote]

There is a problem with fact number 3 because Port Arthur was maybe in third place overall if you look at the stats on the website. Way behind West Orange in every age. Did the STJFL kick West Orange out too? That would be a better move for them if this is about competition.

[quote name="58SHW" post="1161212" timestamp="1326743320"]
I dont have a dog in this hunt....or even know anything about either party. I just saw the race card and frankly get tired of it....[b][color=red]no one gains from taking that approach, even if it is fact[/color][/b]. Race is a barrier built by people who aren't tolerant of others that are different in looks only....both are equally bad....those who display it...and those who accuse (especially without proof)....the only way to break those barriers is to be the better person (on either side).

[/quote]

In other words, sit down, shut up, and do as you are told?  may not have been your intention, but that is how it came across...

As for "playing the race card"...ifyou have gone through and eliminated any other issue that might have caused your community's removal from competition, and are only left with the "race card"...and the organization responsible for voting you out gives no valid reason as to why...then, to me at least, race MAY have played a part.  You acknowlege it in your post with the words "even if it is fact".  Why must folks be quiet when they are possibly being discriminated against? 

THough I have no "dog in this hunt" as well, I CAN tell you that there are communitied in the Golden Triangle who teach their kids racist ways.  The saddest evidence that I have, you will consider hearsay, but it happened in an Orange County town,  but not the one that has been dragged through the mud in the media.  I was walking across the field with my team mother, who was African American, and heard one little flag player exclaim to his friend "how could you let that little ****** beat you"?  I was going to go over to the kid to ask to talk to his parents, but that team mom stopped me...and told me that it was no big deal, she had gotten used to it...I was dumbfounded.  She was being the bigger person, but I wonder what happened to that little boy who had no idea what he had said? 

In the same way, STJFL needs to step up, explain their actions, and clear the air.  They voted them out, they need to say why.  If they don't, of course people will speculate about it, right or wrong... 

[quote name="elhector1" post="1161235" timestamp="1326748205"]
[quote author=58SHW link=topic=94298.msg1161212#msg1161212 date=1326743320]
I dont have a dog in this hunt....or even know anything about either party. I just saw the race card and frankly get tired of it....[b][color=red]no one gains from taking that approach, even if it is fact[/color][/b]. Race is a barrier built by people who aren't tolerant of others that are different in looks only....both are equally bad....those who display it...and those who accuse (especially without proof)....the only way to break those barriers is to be the better person (on either side).

[/quote]

In other words, sit down, shut up, and do as you are told?  may not have been your intention, but that is how it came across...

As for "playing the race card"...ifyou have gone through and eliminated any other issue that might have caused your community's removal from competition, and are only left with the "race card"...and the organization responsible for voting you out gives no valid reason as to why...then, to me at least, race MAY have played a part.  You acknowlege it in your post with the words "even if it is fact".  Why must folks be quiet when they are possibly being discriminated against? 

THough I have no "dog in this hunt" as well, I CAN tell you that there are communitied in the Golden Triangle who teach their kids racist ways.  The saddest evidence that I have, you will consider hearsay, but it happened in an Orange County town,  but not the one that has been dragged through the mud in the media.  I was walking across the field with my team mother, who was African American, and heard one little flag player exclaim to his friend "how could you let that little ****** beat you"?  I was going to go over to the kid to ask to talk to his parents, but that team mom stopped me...and told me that it was no big deal, she had gotten used to it...I was dumbfounded.  She was being the bigger person, but I wonder what happened to that little boy who had no idea what he had said? 

In the same way, STJFL needs to step up, explain their actions, and clear the air.  They voted them out, they need to say why.  If they don't, of course people will speculate about it, right or wrong...
[/quote]

I personally appreciate it when a person looks from the outside in, instead of defending something/someone just on the fact that the "RACE CARD" has been played. Facts are facts and harshly as they seem. There was no reason given to why this has happened to Port Arthur, and there will not be a STJFL rep, (that governs this site) to step up and explain anything. Not because they feel that it was a justifiable thing to do, no one will step up because it was THE WRONG THING TO DO! And instead of allowing children to play together, they instead decide the best thing to do is not to associate!

WOW STJFL......WAY TO SHOW YOUR KIDS WHAT NOT TO DO!

I am pretty sure that Port Arthur will bounce back against adversity and succeed! GO TITANS!

I put up this post knowing that race would show up in someway.  Think about this.  What reason could any league have to vote out an entire city.  If it was because of a parent, then you take care of that parent.  If it was a coach, then you take care of that coach or board member.  But to vote OUT an entire city.  Sometimes if you haven't been discriminated against, you have no idea what some of us have been through.  After a game against a STJFL team, I had to explain to my son and his friend why they were called the [color=red]N[/color] word by players on the other team.  Is that playing the race card???  Tell my kid that he imagined someone saying that.  Better yet, tell the entire PA Junior team that those kids didn't mean anything by it. lol  I know every parent on our team had to go home and explain it, because I was told they were saying it all game.  It was addressed at the game, but those kids still go home with those parents that taught them the word and who to say it too in the first.  Bringing up race is necessary because sometimes race is the reason unjust things happen.  Race is always the big ole elephant in the room that some of us want to imagine doesn't exist.  I have hundreds of stories I could tell about prejudice and racism, but I will always get told I'm playing the race card.  Sometimes I wish some people could walk in my (our) shoes for 1 month.  You will see.

[quote name="jrmdvs536" post="1161220" timestamp="1326744315"]
[quote author=TITANS2011 link=topic=94298.msg1161204#msg1161204 date=1326741932]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

You want facts okay!

[/quote]

There is a problem with fact number 3 because Port Arthur was maybe in third place overall if you look at the stats on the website. Way behind West Orange in every age. Did the STJFL kick West Orange out too? That would be a better move for them if this is about competition.
[/quote]

OK.  PA had the second best record overall by 1 or 2 games.  That really isn't the point.  He was pretty much stating that for our first year, we shocked a LOT of people.  I don't know why, because these kids have been playing football for awhile. 
We had a flag team with a better record and a PeeWee team with a better record than WOS.  Jr and Sr games were 1 td games.

The situation that happened at my son's game was indeed a fact that had to do with race.  Also another gentleman's post.  Those accusations can be proven.  Other than that I DID NOT accuse or allege that the STJFL did anything.  I simply stated that what reason can be given for voting out an entire youth organization on their first year of participation.  No one from the STJFL has commented and I know they visit this site often.  If this thread is locked, thats a form of censorship.  Their mission statement goes against what they did to the Port Arthur youth. 

big dog, I can understand that this needs to be closely watched, or else it can turn ugly.  Having said that, it is a fine line that you walk, between responsible monitoring and censorship.  STJFL made a concious decision to exclude a whole area from competition, and they never gave the participaing parents a reason why.  When you have nothing else to go on, you speculate and assume...it's human nature...

Now, I will offer a correction.  What happened to me was as a flag coach for the Orange Cobras organization, it happened a few years back, but it DID NOT happen at an STJFL event.  Big Titan's did.  My point was that racism is alive and well, no matter what we may work toward...there will always be individuals that behave hat way.  Is the STJFL racist?  I don't beleive it is.  What has happened is that they are offering no reasons as to their actions.  That is troublesome, and something that might end up in a bigger court of public opinion where they will not have the luxury of having a thread locked to help them remain silent.

[quote name="TITANS2011" post="1161244" timestamp="1326749588"]
[quote author=elhector1 link=topic=94298.msg1161235#msg1161235 date=1326748205]
[quote author=58SHW link=topic=94298.msg1161212#msg1161212 date=1326743320]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I personally appreciate it when a person looks from the outside in, instead of defending something/someone just on the fact that the "RACE CARD" has been played. Facts are facts and harshly as they seem. There was no reason given to why this has happened to Port Arthur, and there will not be a STJFL rep, (that governs this site) to step up and explain anything. Not because they feel that it was a justifiable thing to do, no one will step up because it was THE WRONG THING TO DO! And instead of allowing children to play together, they instead decide the best thing to do is not to associate!

[b]WOW STJFL......WAY TO SHOW YOUR KIDS WHAT NOT TO DO![/b]
I am pretty sure that Port Arthur will bounce back against adversity and succeed! GO TITANS!
[/quote]

I've said IF you can PROVE this has anything to do with race then the one leading this should be disciplined....

But if you think the above statement is any better than:

WOW PA PARENTS WAY TO SHOW YOUR KIDS WHAT TO DO (scream racism every time you dont get your way) then you are just as guilty as the ones you accuse.....

Stop accusing, playing race card...stand up and YOU do what is right by the PA kids...why does it matter what THEY do....do it bigger, do it better than them...why would you WANT your kids to be involved with people like that (if what you say is true)...

Teach them that no matter what stupid people (and there will always be some) in this world says or does, you are better than that...beat them at their own game...make PA proud by taking the high road (and that doesn't mean sit down shut up and take it)....it means STAND TALLER AND DO BETTER THAN THEM!

Honestly, they dont OWE you anything, an expalnation, a reason, time of day, etc.....it's their league. Personally, I wouldnt want to be part of anything that didnt WANT me....

Me personally, I enjoyed participating in the Pop Warner organization.  Every kid got a shot at playing and you had a love of the game develop.  I wonder how many Pop Warner players are in the pros and D1 college ranks, compared to STJFL?  Let's see...Emmitt Smith was a Pop Warner kid, from the area, Earl Thomas was a Pop Warner kid, as was his brother Seth.  In the college ranks, Jacoby Franks and his two brothers Kerry (KJ) and Trey were Pop Warner kids...and those are the ones I know about...so there is a better place to go Big Titan.  Let the petty play in their own world...

[quote name="elhector1" post="1161383" timestamp="1326809569"]
Me personally, I enjoyed participating in the Pop Warner organization.  Every kid got a shot at playing and you had a love of the game develop.  I wonder how many Pop Warner players are in the pros and D1 college ranks, compared to STJFL?  Let's see...Emmitt Smith was a Pop Warner kid, from the area, Earl Thomas was a Pop Warner kid, as was his brother Seth.  In the college ranks, Jacoby Franks and his two brothers Kerry (KJ) and Trey were Pop Warner kids...and those are the ones I know about...so there is a better place to go Big Titan.  Let the petty play in their own world...
[/quote]

EXACTLY...a much better approach! and the kids come out better and all the hate isnt necessary....either direction.

Questions:

1.  The vote to take out P.A. had to happen at a board meeting.  The board meetings are public, and all cities are(should) be represented.......Where was P.A.'s representative?

2.  If competition or being "black" was a reason for being voted out, WOS should have gone first, better record and majority black. Why are they still in?

3.  Has anyone tried to contact the board members of the stjfl?

IF you go to the website and click "contact us", there is phone numbers of the board members.  I would try this first instead of starting all these RUMORS about the race card and Port Arthur being too much competition.

I'll even make it simple and provide the link:

http://www.stjfl.net/contact.htm

To all PA Titan fans and parents, as the president of the organization, rest assure we will be playing ball next year, I will give each and everyone of you the details soon, I was working real diligently on resolving some issues.  As far as the comments here which have been made, no one knows the reasons for what took place including myself.  But we already have a solution and are progressing.  So if you are with us I ask that we move foward, the saying goes when one door closes another one opens, and believe you and me wait till you see what we have in store.   

From the Website:

ARTICLE III: MEMBERSHIP

SECTION 1. Membership of this organization shall consist of any parent or guardian of a child who participates in the STJFL or any adult volunteer duly appointed by the associate organizations.

SECTION 2. In order for an association to be accepted as a member of STJFL it must have the majority vote of the current STJFL Board of Directors and must have a duly appointed representative to sit as its representative on the STJFL Board.

SECTION 3. The STJFL Board reserves the right to refuse membership to any individual or association that has been found to have in the past or present engaged in any form of actions deemed detrimental to the successful operation of the STJFL.

SECTION 4.  Once an association has been granted a charter into the STJFL by the board it must operate according to the guidelines in the charter.  For a charter to be amended, the association must petition the STJFL board for a change.  The STJFL board must approve all amendments.

SECTION 5. In order for an association to be accepted into STJFL, it must meet the prerequisites of a viable organization by having a board of directors, a set of by-laws established within the boundaries of the STJFL By-Laws and appropriate monetary funding to sustain itself. The STJFL Board will approve these pre-requisites upon receiving a petition of acceptance from the association.

SECTION 6. In order for an association to enter and participate into the STJFL, it must have at least (1) one team in 2 (two) different STJFL divisions of competition.

SECTION 7. New associations in their first year shall maintain a non-voting board position.  After January 1st of the first season they will gain voting privilege.

SECTION 8. The STJFL will not accept any proposals or applications for acceptance in to the STJFL after the regularly scheduled meeting for the Board of Directors in March of the current year.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder