NEDERLAND BULLDOG CLASSIC/THE VILLAGE WINS THE TOURNAMENT

WOSgrad

The fact that neither huddle got a warning that they were about to put the ball in play coming out of the timeout was the controversy. The official put the ball down, Nederland was walking out on the floor, saw that the official was starting his count and quickly in bounded the ball for an easy layup while PAM was just breaking their huddle. PAM only had 2 seconds left to answer and they were so shocked and confused with the previous play that they honestly didn't know what had happened.

It was an unfortunate and controversial ending to a very tight game. Would have rather seen it end with either Nederland or PAM making a play against a ready defense and not that way.

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="1144302" timestamp="1323623789"]
The fact that neither huddle got a warning that they were about to put the ball in play coming out of the timeout was the controversy. The official put the ball down, Nederland was walking out on the floor, sathat the official was starting his count and quickly in bounded the ball for an easy layup while PAM was just breaking their huddle. PAM only had 2 seconds left to answer and they were so shocked and confused with the previous play that they honestly didn't know what had happened.

It was an unfortunate and controversial ending to a very tight game.
Would have rather seen it end with either Nederland or PAM making a play against a ready defense and not that way.
[/quote]
I don't think any coach wants to win that way, but it's a part of the game. BTW-Both coached were warned in their huddles throughout the game, including the time out just 6 secs before the final timeout, where Memorial was warned twice. I missed the play b/c I was watching the
Memorial huddle.

[quote name="HF Dawg" post="1144304" timestamp="1323624151"]
[quote author=AggiesAreWe link=topic=92844.msg1144302#msg1144302 date=1323623789]
The fact that neither huddle got a warning that they were about to put the ball in play coming out of the timeout was the controversy. The official put the ball down, Nederland was walking out on the floor, sathat the official was starting his count and quickly in bounded the ball for an easy layup while PAM was just breaking their huddle. PAM only had 2 seconds left to answer and they were so shocked and confused with the previous play that they honestly didn't know what had happened.

Would have rather seen it end with either Nederland or PAM making a play against a ready defense and not that way.
[/quote]
I don't think any coach wants to win that way, but it's a part of the game. BTW-Both coached were warned in their huddles throughout the game, including the time out just 6 secs before the final timeout, where Memorial was warned twice. I missed the play b/c I was watching the
Memorial huddle.
[/quote]

All that I saw was the kid making the lay-up. I agree that this is no way to end a game. I was told that the official's count was already to 3 when Nederland picked up the ball to inbounds it.

[quote name="HF Dawg" post="1144304" timestamp="1323624151"]
[quote author=AggiesAreWe link=topic=92844.msg1144302#msg1144302 date=1323623789]

[/quote]
Memorial huddle.
[/quote]

According to Travis Williams and his staff, they received no warning in that last timeout.

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="1144322" timestamp="1323627653"]
[quote author=HF Dawg link=topic=92844.msg1144304#msg1144304 date=1323624151]

[/quote]
Memorial huddle.
[/quote]

According to Travis Williams and his staff, they received no warning in that last timeout.
[/quote]

I did not think that either team received a warning.

[quote name="bulldog81" post="1144334" timestamp="1323629610"]
[quote author=AggiesAreWe link=topic=92844.msg1144322#msg1144322 date=1323627653]
The fact that neither huddle got a warning that they were about to put the ball in play coming out of the timeout was the controversy. The official put the ball down, Nederland was walking out on the floor, sathat
the official was starting his count and quickly in bounded the ball for an easy layup while PAM was just breaking their huddle. PAM only had 2 seconds left to answer and they were so shocked and confused with the previous play that they honestly didn't know what had happened.

Would have rather seen it end with either Nederland or PAM making a
play against a ready defense and not that way.
[/quote]
Memorial huddle.
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]
The final time out, no. The time out 6 secs before that, yes.

[quote name="HF Dawg" post="1144336" timestamp="1323629780"]
[quote author=bulldog81 link=topic=92844.msg1144334#msg1144334 date=1323629610]
[quote author=AggiesAreWe link=topic=92844.msg1144322#msg1144322 date=1323627653]
The fact that neither huddle got a warning that they were about to put the ball in play coming out of the timeout was the controversy. The official put the ball down, Nederland was walking out on the floor, sathat
the official was starting his count and quickly in bounded the ball for an easy layup while PAM was just breaking their huddle. PAM only had 2 seconds left to answer and they were so shocked and confused with the previous play that they honestly didn't know what had happened.

Would have rather seen it end with either Nederland or PAM making a
play against a ready defense and not that way.
[/quote]
Memorial huddle.
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]
The final time out, no. The time out 6 secs before that, yes.
[/quote]Now wait a minute!!

The referees decide to enforce a rule they've been threatening to enforce the whole game.... and they wait til the game is on the line to enforce it?!?!?!

That sucks!!!

The referees should never affect the outcome of the game!!!

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="1144322" timestamp="1323627653"]

[/quote]
Memorial huddle.
[/quote]

[/quote]
After warning PAM to break the huddle during the previous TO, it sounds like the officials used the "Resumption of Play" rule (NFHS Rule Book 4-38) to perfection. And you only receive 1 warning before the ROP rule is administered, not every TO that you don't break the huddle @ the 15 sec. warning horn. so Coach Williams is right....he shouldn't have gotten another warning.

[quote name="Lt. Dangle" post="1144866" timestamp="1323701161"]

[/quote]
Memorial huddle.
[/quote]

[/quote]
After warning PAM to break the huddle during the previous TO, it sounds like the officials used the "Resumption of Play" rule (NFHS Rule Book 4-38) to perfection. And you only receive 1 warning before the ROP rule is administered, not every TO that you don't break the huddle @ the 15 sec. warning horn. so Coach Williams is right....he shouldn't have gotten another warning.
[/quote]I really don't care what the rule book says.  You don't wait til the game is on the line to enforce it.  That SUCKS!

[quote name="FanintheStands" post="1144874" timestamp="1323702350"]
[quote author=Lt. Dangle link=topic=92844.msg1144866#msg1144866 date=1323701161]

[/quote]
Memorial huddle.
[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]I really don't care what the rule book says.  You don't wait til the game is on the line to enforce it.  That SUCKS!
[/quote] [color=red]"I really don't care what the rule book says." [/color] WOW!!!! Sorry to have confused you with the facts.

[quote name="Lt. Dangle" post="1144885" timestamp="1323703698"]
[quote author=FanintheStands link=topic=92844.msg1144874#msg1144874 date=1323702350]
[/quote] [color=red]"I really don't care what the rule book says." [/color] WOW!!!! Sorry to have confused you with the facts.
[/quote]Its all about the time of the game that the referees decided to all of a sudden start following the rulebook that sucks. 

You don't let both teams (or even one team) abuse the time out rule for an entire game and then wait till there are 5 seconds in the game to start enforcing the rule.  No matter what the rule book says, that sucks.

Think about it.  What if the ref's let the centers camp in the line all game long, and then call a 3 second rule in the final minute.  Is it OK, simply because its in the rule book?

[quote name="Lt. Dangle" post="1144866" timestamp="1323701161"]
[/quote]
But see this is the multiple warnings I was talking about.
I don't think any coach wants to win that way, but it's a part of the game. BTW-[u][b]Both coached were warned in their huddles throughout the game, including the time out just 6 secs before the final timeout, where Memorial was warned twice.[/b][/u] I missed the play b/c I was watching the
Memorial huddle.
[/quote]
That sucks to finally enforce a rule when the rule's enforcement determines the winner of the game.

Any referee worth his salt should be ashamed to know that they determined the winner of a contest.

[quote name="FanintheStands" post="1145320" timestamp="1323750624"]
[quote author=team first link=topic=92844.msg1144997#msg1144997 date=1323712205]
That was a terrible job in that situation by the refs. Obvious the refs didnt do a good job of warning either team, if both team where still in their huddle on the to. ( it's been said the ref was at a 3 count)
[/quote]Bingo.
[/quote]
Just saw the Nederland team game video for the aforementioned incident & the video makes a compelling argument for the actions of these refs. Video shows 1 ref notifying PAM huddle of the 15 sec horn. Coach looks up, no acknowledgement, looks back down to once again instructing his team. The final horn sounds with no movement from PAM huddle, official claps hands 2 or 3 times ( can't tell if he is speaking) then returns to the floor area. Officials begin play. When you are notified twice, then it is time to play....period. Travis is a good coach but John Wooden he is not hence not above the law.

If Nederland had not picked up the ball and put into play who's ball would it have been?  I think the would be a 5 sec  turnover for failure to inbound the ball on time.  Nederland had no choice.  I think the Memorial coach knew what he was doing and was trying to get that T/o without any time going off the clock!  Sneeky but backfired! 

[quote name="team first" post="1145549" timestamp="1323803478"]
Bottom line is u just don't do that, at that point in the game. As an official u have to think to urself, why us neither team on the floor?
[/quote]
I am a Nederland supporter, and I don't think that is the way a game should be decided. Firtunately, it was not a very important game for either team. I bet it will never happen to either one of these teams again!

[quote name="NB-Dawg" post="1145609" timestamp="1323808898"]
[quote author=team first link=topic=92844.msg1145549#msg1145549 date=1323803478]
Bottom line is u just don't do that, at that point in the game. As an official u have to think to urself, why us neither team on the floor?
[/quote]
I am a Nederland supporter, and I don't think that is the way a game should be decided. Firtunately, it was not a very important game for either team. I bet it will never happen to either one of these teams again!
[/quote]I agree.  The game was unimportant.  But the refs should be reminded that it is not their job to decide the winner of a game.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder