Coldspring-Oakhurst vs. West Orange-Stark

Trigger

I like the fact that CS is now the underdog (in the minds of many posters) to mighty WOS...I think too many of you are discounting CS solely because they've struggled on offense the last 3 games...If the struggles continue then yes WOS can hang around and win, however, should CS get the kinks worked out I don't think WOS wins...Defense is too good!  Let's be honest, I don't think the offense can do worse (redzone execution wise) and the defense has already proven it's good enough to win even the lowest scoring game...

I'm starting to feel better and better about this game each day...The overall sentiment of this thread reminds me of last year in the days leading up to the Kirbyville game...Everyone seemed to be discounting CS left and right...Only after the game did most come around and start giving CS the credit they deserved...

Really at this point CS isn't even looking for credit as they've got their eyes firmly on the ultimate goal of a state championship...I guess what I'm saying is I don't think the average CS fan would be shocked if WOS outplayed CS and won, however, I get the feeling that if CS wins many WOS fans would be sitting around trying to figure out just how their team full of great athletes (and all it's history, NFL players, track championships, etc) could get beat by a little one dimensional team from San Jacinto Co...

• Replies 634
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not at all. Coldspring is a Top 10 team. We're not stupid. You forget: It was a group (small, granted) of Coldspring fans that painted their team as invincible (an unstoppable offensive machine, I think) when the playoffs started. We were a "down on our luck" WO-S team that was lucky to win district. If you asked me who was going to win on Friday, I would flip a coin. I think most of us feel like we're trying to prove that we even belong on the field. Weren't the Coldspring fans the ones bragging about a "team full of great athletes (Dave Campbell's Top 100, etc.)? The track championships came up as a response to someone claiming we lacked the speed to hang with CS. Are track and football very directly related? No. But it shows that we don't lack "speed." NFL and D1 players don't relate to this year either, but they help illustrate how a star-studded team doesn't equate to a championship. I expect a very close game.

Do I think we have a really good chance of winning Friday? Yes.
Should we be the underdogs? Yes.
Will I be here either way? Yes.

[quote name="jnunn" post="1134782" timestamp="1322607881"]
[quote author=WOS92 link=topic=92269.msg1134781#msg1134781 date=1322607581]
Cornel Thompson. Just a note.
[/quote]

Thanks for the correction; Deadline tonight at 10PM
All is well that ends well. I guess I will just have to learn how to Point/Counter Point a little better. Sounds fun and I have a lot of time on my hands to play.
[/quote]

I know when you have to meet a deadline its hard to get everything correct. I couldn't do it, lol. Anyways, I think the article is great. Now you have 4 more to write and I hope the forth one says "Stangs prove to be too much for Trojans" if you use that, all I ask is 25 cents and a great fan support from CS.  ;D

laying all BS aside we here at west orange stark KNOW what we are going up agnest friday night we KNOW we MUST  find away to STOP are contain two of the best running back we have seen all year.now on the flip side there is your (D) witch is one of the better ones we have seen NOT the BEST but thay do there job well and thay take pride in themself and you can than you DC he has done a great job. now lets me say a few things about wo-s NO on the other hand YOU TELL ME

[quote name="MEM" post="1134783" timestamp="1322608061"]
I like the fact that CS is now the underdog (in the minds of many posters) to mighty WOS...I think too many of you are discounting CS solely because they've struggled on offense the last 3 games...If the struggles continue then yes WOS can hang around and win, however, should CS get the kinks worked out I don't think WOS wins...Defense is too good!  Let's be honest, I don't think the offense can do worse (redzone execution wise) and the defense has already proven it's good enough to win even the lowest scoring game...

I'm starting to feel better and better about this game each day...The overall sentiment of this thread reminds me of last year in the days leading up to the Kirbyville game...Everyone seemed to be discounting CS left and right...Only after the game did most come around and start giving CS the credit they deserved...

Really at this point CS isn't even looking for credit as they've got their eyes firmly on the ultimate goal of a state championship...I guess what I'm saying is I don't think the average CS fan would be shocked if WOS outplayed CS and won, however, I get the feeling that if CS wins many WOS fans would be sitting around trying to figure out just how their team full of great athletes (and all it's history, NFL players, track championships, etc) could get beat by a little one dimensional team from San Jacinto Co...
[/quote]

No, sir.  CS is the defending state finalist...undefeated...top-ranked...and with bigger expectations on their shoulders since the beginning of the season.  WO-S is more of the surprise guest at this ball.  We fit the underdog role.  CS was/still is expected to get back to to the title game.  The glass slipper feels kinda nice for a change. 

[quote name="skipper" post="1134863" timestamp="1322612825"]
hummmmmmmmmmmmmm well looks like cs supportes dont know all that much about our kids ;)
[/quote]

Glad to:
The Coldspring Trojans first task will be to shut down Junior 5’10” 160lb  QB Jimmy Salter who has been one of the reasons the Mustangs  are a playoff contender. He has a 60%+ passing completion ratio, which has yielded 1711 yards with a completion average of 13.3 yards per catch. His skills are complimented with not 1, but 3 efficient pass receivers J'Marcus Rhodes with 30 catches for 551 yds, 18yd avg and 9 TD, Larry Sonnier 30 catches for 391 yds, 13 yd avg and 3 TD, and then you have Derrick Ledet that has 32 catches for 358 yds, 11 yd ave and 5 TD’s.
Their passing game is complimented with a 1-2 rushing punch much like Coldspring with RB Britton Lindsey leading the team in rushing yards of 1593 averaging 6.58 per carry and scored 19 touchdowns. To keep a defense off balance they counter with RB Abear Simien 468 yards, avg 8.6 and 3 TD’s.
Together between the passing game and rushing offense the Mustangs have totaled 4801 yards resulting in 218 1st downs. Although missing 2 of 6 PAT kicks this past game with Bullard, Jerquis Beasley their kicker is a very capable place kicker and capable of kicking FG of 37 yards or more. He made a 30 yard field goal in the Bullard game.
Tomorrow we will high light their defense:

I might add that WO-S leads District 21 3-A in Individual Offensive "STATS" (that word again) Passing Yds, Rushing Yds, Total Yards and Scoring along with the team scoring leader (446 points).

Will review Defense S - - - - tommorow.

Even with the expectations and rankings it still feels like were the underdogs.  Which is just fine.  I know that no matter what this team is gonna show up and give their all.  I'm ready the Mustang fans are ready.  Let's just get this thing on tomorrow.  The next three days are gonna be tough to wait out. 

[quote name="skipper" post="1134915" timestamp="1322617574"]
coldsprings IS (NOT) the underdogs by no means  WE ALL KNOW THIS
[/quote]
I am just curious skipper, how do you know that WO-S is the underdog? Stats don't tell you anything, won and lost records do not mean anything, polls are out the window, individual team player records mean nothing, just how can you tell.
It took me a little while to figuer it out, stats has nothing to do with who wins and who has the best team. It is all in the "Predicting", that is thing we must all watch.

I am just now begining to get the hang of this "Point/Counter Point" begining to make sense. Improves everyones knowledge of the game.

[quote name="jnunn" post="1134927" timestamp="1322618022"]
[quote author=skipper link=topic=92269.msg1134915#msg1134915 date=1322617574]
[/quote]
I am just curious skipper, how do you know that WO-S is the underdog? Stats don't tell you anything, won and lost records do not mean anything, polls are out the window, individual team player records mean nothing, just how can you tell.
It took me a little while to figuer it out, stats has nothing to do with who wins and who has the best team. It is all in the "Predicting", that is thing we must all watch.

I am just now begining to get the hang of this "Point/Counter Point" begining to make sense. Improves everyones knowledge of the game.
[/quote]

Thats an easy one.  Its because Coldspring won the region last year, played in the State Championship game last year, and they have yet to lose a game this year.  They have also been ranked in the top 5 all year.  WO-S on the other hand, has 3 losses, struggled to beat some district opponents who didn't even make the playoffs, and are predicted to lose this game by all the HS football guru's; and oh yeah, have not been ranked in the top 10 the entire season.  Can't be much more of an underdog than that!!!

[quote name="Homer" post="1134936" timestamp="1322618540"]
[quote author=jnunn link=topic=92269.msg1134927#msg1134927 date=1322618022]
[/quote]

[/quote]

Thats an easy one.  Its because Coldspring won the region last year, played in the State Championship game last year, and they have yet to lose a game this year.  They have also been ranked in the top 5 all year.  WO-S on the other hand, has 3 losses, struggled to beat some district opponents who didn't even make the playoffs, and are predicted to lose this game by all the HS football guru's; and oh yeah, have not been ranked in the top 10 the entire season.  Can't be much more of an underdog than that!!!
[/quote]

WO-S started the season ranked number 7 in 3a.. I think they are just now playing up to that ranking

[quote name="Homer" post="1134936" timestamp="1322618540"]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Homer, that was well put, it appears you have done your home work. I think I get the picture. Thanks I will quit listening to all of these folks that say stats, past games, rankings, are for the birds. Back to the books, thanks again.

[quote name="jkbtjc53" post="1134940" timestamp="1322618756"]
[quote author=Homer link=topic=92269.msg1134936#msg1134936 date=1322618540]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

WO-S started the season ranked number 7 in 3a.. I think they are just now playing up to that ranking
[/quote]

OK, well haven't been ranked since they played their first game.

[quote name="jnunn" post="1134731" timestamp="1322603555"]
After all we have at least 4 Coldspring supporters on this board. [/quote]

:) ;D

[quote author=jnunn link=topic=92269.msg1134904#msg1134904 date=1322617007]
I might add that WO-S leads District 3-A in Individual Offensive "STATS" ....
[/quote]

I believe you meant to imply that they lead their district, not the whole class 3-a.

[quote name="jnunn" post="1134948" timestamp="1322618940"]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Homer, that was well put, it appears you have done your home work. I think I get the picture. Thanks I will quit listening to all of these folks that say stats, past games, rankings, are for the birds. Back to the books, thanks again.
[/quote]

That's one thing I think makes this game so interesting.  It will be the first time I can remember that the Mustangs are playing with "nothing to lose."  It seems in the past they have had this big image to uphold and have cracked under the pressure in the big game.  This year is quite different.  All that stuff was thrown out the window earlier in the year.  Those kids are just out there every weekend leaving it all on the field, they could care less if they win by 1 or 50.  Not saying that CS is not "leaving it all on the field", just that of the two teams, it seems CS has more to play for and to prove than the Mustangs.  That is why I really consider the Mustangs to be the underdog.  But hey, Laporte was last weekend too!! 

[quote name="Trigger" post="1134955" timestamp="1322619164"]
[quote author=jnunn link=topic=92269.msg1134731#msg1134731 date=1322603555]
After all we have at least 4 Coldspring supporters on this board. [/quote]

:) ;D

[quote author=jnunn link=topic=92269.msg1134904#msg1134904 date=1322617007]
I might add that WO-S leads District 3-A in Individual Offensive "STATS" ....
[/quote]

I believe you meant to imply that they lead their district, not the whole class 3-a.
[/quote]

You are right, typing error, I samme to haev a bucnh of thoes lately!!!!
I will get it corrected on the post. Thanks

It seems CS has become a mirror image of what WOS used to be.  Great defense, and just enough offense to win a ton of games.  No matter what a team did, WOS generally found a way to win.  From what I have heard there is no reason to think much has changed.  Good luck to both teams.

my heavens just look at what you got there in coldsprings a VERY ROUNDED FOOTBALL TEAM outstanding backs someone said the BEST (D) in 3a ranks a coach that is very smart been around the block a few times and HAS BEEN TO THE (BIG DANCE)last year.on the other hand the kids at wo-s are a very buch of super kids and with not a new coach  hes been around the block alot if i my say so.its like this the mustangs find themself faceing a very very hungry bunchof coldsprings kids that felt like thay should have won the BIG ONE last year and there out to show everyone that thay can  dang dose that make any sence lol 

[quote name="jnunn" post="1134948" timestamp="1322618940"]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

You are mixed up between "determining the underdog" and "determining the outcome of the game." Stats and rankings might do the former, but they fail miserably at doing the latter. Let me put it this way: You can have the rankings, the glamour of having names on lists, the win-loss record and even - YES - the STATS! Because not one of those things will help your team when they line up across from mine on Friday. Just as long as we get the "W," you can have ALL of those. If your boys believe that those things mean something significant on Friday night, chances are their season will come to a quick close.

[quote name="CS 13-0" post="1135164" timestamp="1322626106"]
your right again

All Hail WOS, man I think we really dont have a chance after that post but we did have a pretty good season CONGRADS to the 2011 STATE CHAMPIONS WOS
[/quote]

Awesome! Make sure you contact your coaching staff so that we don't both waste a trip up to Humble. I was worried about this game, too!

From WOS92...

You are mixed up between "determining the underdog" and "determining the outcome of the game." Stats and rankings might do the former, but they fail miserably at doing the latter. Let me put it this way: You can have the rankings, the glamour of having names on lists, the win-loss record and even - YES - the STATS! Because not one of those things will help your team when they line up across from mine on Friday. Just as long as we get the "W," you can have ALL of those. If your boys believe that those things mean something significant on Friday night, chances are their season will come to a quick close.
[/quote]

This Point/Counter Point is beginning to get fun...tell me, if they (all the things you stated) do no good, what makes you think you know who will win the game?  Because you willed it or you predicted it? Sometimes you confuse me with your progressive acumen of double slip of the queens language, when your post says “it works for me, but it doesn't work for you”. Here I am just learning to Point/Counter Point and you try to trick me. That's not fair!

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    catherine
    Newest Member
    catherine