Dabe: Johnson should play, but not where you think

I find this passage in Chris' article a little disturbing:

"It's an idea coach Ray Woodard has suggested. But it's also one offensive coordinator Todd Whitten has publicly resisted."

Excuse me?  It should be, "Todd, we are going to practice and play Jeremy at running back so that he and Andre can be in the backfield at the same time.  If you don't like it, I understand McDonald's is hiring!"

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="1095588" timestamp="1319689991"]
http://www.beaumontenterprise.com/sports/lamar/article/Dabe-Johnson-should-play-but-not-where-you-think-2238308.php
[/quote]

aint enuf meat on him..he'd get smoked

and what for..to be rb?  Earl Campbell couldnt run behind our line...all the hype about the line and the  running game...ditch it..chunk that tater

I think dim whitten is using his brain a little on this one.....Ray grasping at straws

[quote name="puddin tane" post="1095660" timestamp="1319720832"]
[quote author=AggiesAreWe link=topic=90502.msg1095588#msg1095588 date=1319689991]
http://www.beaumontenterprise.com/sports/lamar/article/Dabe-Johnson-should-play-but-not-where-you-think-2238308.php
[/quote]

and what for..to be rb?  Earl Campbell couldnt run behind our line...all the hype about the line and the  running game...ditch it..chunk that tater

I think dim whitten is using his brain a little on this one.....Ray grasping at straws
[/quote]
Agreed. RBs are getting popped before as soon as they get the ball. Doesn't matter who you put back there if you have no time to make a cut. If anything put him in the slot. Throw the bubble to him. Get him outside with some blocking where he can make some moves and some plays. His arm is suspect! I think we need to go out and get a cerebral spread QB! Would love to see Doty come back from Oregon. He would fit the offense!

Jeremy is not a running back, he is a QB. Just not built or ready for running between the tackles every play, blocking, picking up blitzs.

It would be a mistake to change his position to RB. Now, if he doesn't progress over the next couple of years at the QB position (I am betting he will progress) then move him to receiver.

He is just a freshman, still learning the system. I believe he is the future for Lamar at QB. Time and experience is all that is needed.

I do agree though, for the time being it would be smart to get Jeremy on the field in some capacity. But don't throw out or jeopardize is QB career in doing so.

Get him on the field ala Tannehill at A&M who played WR for two seasons before getting his shot at his recruited position of QB. I think it really helped him to understand how to read a defense better. Of course you have to be a great athlete to do it and JJ is a great athlete.

[quote name="badndn" post="1095911" timestamp="1319738849"]
Get him on the field ala Tannehill at A&M who played WR for two seasons before getting his shot at his recruited position of QB. I think it really helped him to understand how to read a defense better. Of course you have to be a great athlete to do it and JJ is a great athlete.
[/quote]

Very good point.

I think JJ can be an outstanding QB for Lamar, in due time.

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="1095795" timestamp="1319730468"]
Jeremy is not a running back, he is a QB. Just not built or ready for running between the tackles every play, blocking, picking up blitzs.

It would be a mistake to change his position to RB. Now, if he doesn't progress over the next couple of years at the QB position (I am betting he will progress) then move him to receiver.

He is just a freshman, still learning the system. I believe he is the future for Lamar at QB. Time and experience is all that is needed.

I do agree though, for the time being it would be smart to get Jeremy on the field in some capacity. But don't throw out or jeopardize is QB career in doing so.
[/quote]

He played QB in high school.  He is not a college QB unless we run the veer or the triple option.  It helps if a QB can actually throw.

[quote name="puddin tane" post="1095660" timestamp="1319720832"]
[quote author=AggiesAreWe link=topic=90502.msg1095588#msg1095588 date=1319689991]
[/quote]

and what for..to be rb? [b] Earl Campbell couldnt run behind our line...all the hype about the line and the  running game[/b]...ditch it..chunk that tater

[/quote]I think it is the blocking scheme up front that is the problem.  Either it is flawed or the line is not executing it properly.  On one play down near the goal the DE was lined up over the TE.  The tackle doubles  the DE on a run up the middle instead of getting upfield on a LB.  The DE has should have no chance lined up that far outside on a dive play.  I hope that is just a result of the O Line being young.

Keep blaming players or excuses about people being just freshman??

I understand why he left WV, they were going to move him to receiver...LU probably promised an opportunity to play QB...as part of the deal to come to LU...it's not going to work....now what do you do?...move him to RB??

[quote name="Texantagonise" post="1096092" timestamp="1319748543"]
[quote author=puddin tane link=topic=90502.msg1095660#msg1095660 date=1319720832]
[/quote]

and what for..to be rb? [b] Earl Campbell couldnt run behind our line...all the hype about the line and the  running game[/b]...ditch it..chunk that tater

[/quote]I think it is the blocking scheme up front that is the problem.  Either it is flawed or the line is not executing it properly.  On one play down near the goal the DE was lined up over the TE.  The tackle doubles  the DE on a run up the middle instead of getting upfield on a LB.  The DE has should have no chance lined up that far outside on a dive play. [b] I hope that is just a result of the O Line being young.[/b]
[/quote]

Maybe it's the coaching.  Nathan Reeves coaches the offensive line and he had zero experience coaching that position before coming to Lamar.  Look at his bio:

[quote]Nathan Reeves is in his first full year with the Lamar football program after serving as an assistant for three years at Sam Houston State.

In Huntsville, he was responsible for the Bearkat running backs and offensive video and scouting reports.[/quote]

http://www.lamarcardinals.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/reeves_nathan00.html

I find it curious some of the choices Woodard has made for assistant coaches.

JJ is not built to be a RB. I'm the guy that asked the coaches the question in the Press Conference about getting him and Bevil on the field at the same time but I was thinking as a WR, wildcat or him at QB and Bevil at WR. Whitten is saying he wants to develop JJ into the QB for the Cards, remember he is a freshman. To be honest year two back was not going to be a title contending year anyway so why would you want JJ at RB and get a shoulder injury?

[quote name="ShlyKBMT" post="1102813" timestamp="1320273892"]
JJ is not built to be a RB. I'm the guy that asked the coaches the question in the Press Conference about getting him and Bevil on the field at the same time but I was thinking as a [b]WR[/b], wildcat or him at QB and Bevil at WR. Whitten is saying he wants to develop JJ into the QB for the Cards, remember he is a freshman. To be honest year two back was not going to be a title contending year anyway so why would you want JJ at RB and get a shoulder injury?
[/quote] 8)

When you are starting a program and you have not had time to build depth at the various positions then you put the best athletes you have on the field and if they are the kind of players you want to build your team with they will play their hearts out no matter what the position.  I see nothing but good for the team in using JJ at another position if he is not ready to start at Qb.  He can still work in practice and the off season to further develop his throwing skill.  I think most everyone would agree that if his passing was better whether the problems are skill related or timing related or decision making he would be the starter as he is definately the best running Qb and posses big problems for a defense if they have to worry about both the run and pass, problem right now is they really only have to worry about his run.

[quote name="puddin tane" post="1103025" timestamp="1320295513"]
where would you want him?..our receivers are a strong point and he'd get killed running between the tackles... ko returns?
[/quote]
WR...because he has played QB, he should understand route running better than you're average WR.  He has amazing game speed, he is a play maker with the ball in his hands, from the little that I saw last week, he can get in that rotation on passing situations with one weeks practice....3/4 plays, a little overtime, scrimmages... run blocking may be the challenge...that will come with time.

Doesn't matter to me if it is offense or defense.  He could play slot receiver or a wingback on offense.  With his speed he could play defensive back.  Yes we have a strong WR corps but we are definately week at defesive back.  Also he could be running kicks back or on the kick coverage squads.  If your afraid of him getting hurt then he is not the athlete that many of you say he is.  My point is that we should have our most talented players on the field every play.

I think Jeremy's mindset and the coaches mindset is to have him play QB. But, I agree, if he can't be the starting QB right now, then find a way to get him involved on some plays as a slot WR. Not every down though, but getting him some touches during the game. Jeremy has proved that he can make plays and at times the most explosive player on the field for both teams.

Jeremy wants to be the QB and rightfully so. But, even he stated when he transferred to Lamar that if the QB position was not in the cards for him, he would be willing to move to another position to help the team win.

I just think the coaches are going to give him every opportunity to be the QB for Lamar. This will include the next two seasons. After that, if it isn't working out, I can see him changing positions. He is just a freshman, still plenty of time for him to improve on his weaknesses. He just needs the experience.

I still believe that he can be a great QB for Lamar, in time.

• 2 months later...
[quote name="BADSANTA" post="1162334" timestamp="1326918104"]
Will Johnson be the starter next season? He needed a year to learn the offense and get himself get comfortable with the team. No excuses because I believe it's his time to shine. Dual threat QB who can lead Lamar to a 6 win season.
[/quote]
With a solid TEAM off-season....a 6 win season is possible...as for JJ starting?...I say he will be the starter...no doubt...

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder