Just a little about Ernest Anderson former WOS athlete and OSU great

"Ernest is no jitterbug runner," says Cowboy Coach Jimmy Johnson. "He runs smack over people."

But no one dreamed that Anderson, who gained a total of 1,116 yards in his first two full seasons, would be as good a tailback as he is. Even while in high school in Orange, Texas he never rushed for 1,000 yards in a season or 200 in a game.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1126040/index.htm

Just to clear the air and let someone know I don't just make-up things.

I met him at the old Workout Studio (now World Gym Mid-County) and he was very nice and approachable. However, he was built like a rock. No joke, I bet back then he could bench about 450 lbs and squat more than I can remember.

I would be in awe watching him workout.

He was just an awesome physicial specimen.

[quote name="bigred360" post="1090793" timestamp="1319293042"]
I met him at the old Workout Studio (now World Gym Mid-County) and he was very nice and approachable. However, he was built like a rock. No joke, I bet back then he could bench about 450 lbs and squat more than I can remember.

[/quote]

What a good read. I can remember watching him back in the day. Thanks for sharing the article.

I graduated with Earnest, and had the not so great pleasure of knocking heads with him. He is a great guy. He went to OK St and really bulked up in their weight problem. I was amazed at how muscular he had gotten first time I saw him come home from up there.

He backed up Herschel Walker with the New Jersey Generals and was a third round pick of the Detroit Lions if I remember correctly. His kickoff return against Beaumont Charlton-Pollard (60-0 I believe was the score) was I believe the first home score for the 'Stangs.

Man that was a long time ago.

Last night, Kevin Smith, myself and others, were talking about the old greats of WO-S.  Of course, Kevin was still a lad when these guys played.  But, the very first few teams the Mustangs had were just sick with talent.  First backfield was Ernest Anderson (a junior) and Tony January (a senior). For backfield ever for the Mustangs, fall of '77.  Next year was Ernest and Kerry Franks.  Just plain sick with talent.  Good times talking about it last night and taking a trip down memory-lane.  MANY special athletes have walked the halls at WO-S.  Yep, 'ole Plug was super.  Should have won the heisman, IMO....

I had the distinct priviledge of working with Ernest while he was a Safety Supervisor for a local contracting company. Awesome individual and great person I consider a friend. Watch the Rams vs. Titans Superbowl togethor due to fact no one showed for work that night. Great to hear a football game from a pro's point of view. Wonderful man.

[quote name="bigred360" post="1090793" timestamp="1319293042"]

[/quote]

Still is.  Refuses to go heavy and I don't know why.  After I see the heart doctor, I'll goat him along and get his chest workouts back over 300 lbs.....

• 3 months later...
I remember the name Ernest Anderson of Oklahoma State in the rushing stats of the newspaper.  He was averaging over 200 yards per game.  I always wondered what happened to him because I just never heard much more about him.  I saw that his rushing yards declined in 1983, and he didn't get many carries in the USFL.  Did he get hurt? 

[quote name="oldfan" post="1180874" timestamp="1329629548"]
I remember the name Ernest Anderson of Oklahoma State in the rushing stats of the newspaper.  He was averaging over 200 yards per game.  I always wondered what happened to him because I just never heard much more about him.  I saw that his rushing yards declined in 1983, and he didn't get many carries in the USFL.  Did he get hurt? 
[/quote]

He suffered a pretty serious injury in his rookie season with Detroit as I remembered.  He never really recovered from it.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder