What ever happened to being competitive

This weekend I got a chance to checkout Katy vs. Seven Lakes. Everybody knows that Katy is the real deal. That offensive line is amazing. Put any back behind those guys and he is going to have a field day. What disappointed me is how some teams dont even try to compete. They are in a fight and they are not even trying to punch back. I know that you might be outmatched but stand up and play your butt off on evey play until the whistle blows. If you get beat that is fine atleast you left it all on the field. I hate to see a kid or a team cower down in fear. If a team or your opponent senses you are fearful or that you will not compete they will never respect you. I truly don't blame the kids. I blame the parents. It makes me wonder, what are we teaching our young men?

I saw a guy on PBS when talking the lead up to Euless Trinity playing a privite school from Arkansas, use the phrase, "winning the game getting off the bus...." or something like that.  As far as 7 Lakes goes, they're a new school in the same ISD with Katy and Cinco and have low expectations.  They could have a life coach and the premere strength and conditioning personnel and still lose because they have no history.  Morten(sp) Ranch is in the same boat.  The only way Katy will lose to those newer schools and or Taylor and Mayde Creek is a concerted effort to water down their incoming freshman class and or the current coach retires and they go to the Spread O....

I agree with you SFA. However, they dont even put up a fight. I mean they take those butt whippings like a champ. At what point do you as a player, team and coaching staff get tired of getting your behinds handed to you? They are getting drilled by 25 and 30 points. Katy wont get tested until the third or fourth round of the playoffs. I doubt if a team in their district scores over 14 points on them. If you are scared and dont want to compete why do you even play football? I dont understand this.

I live in Katy.  They are up to 7 high schools so far, with 2 more to be opened in the next few years.  Most of the growth is in the areas that are now in Cinco Ranch, Seven Lakes and Taylor area.  If anything, they will probably be further diluted depending on where the new HS are built.

I think it has a lot to do with the fact that there are THREE-FOUR playoff spots (depending on classification)available each year. 15-20 years ago, you could not afford to lose 2 district games. Now you can go 4-3, 3-3, even 2-3 and possibly make the playoffs. It's hard to coach a 'killer instinct'. It has to be taught at a young age. Everybody gets a ribbon generation is now here.  :-\

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder