West Brook's Redd wins appeal to UIL, declared eligible

AggiesAreWe

http://www.beaumontenterprise.com/sports/hs/article/West-Brook-s-Redd-wins-appeal-to-UIL-declared-2168979.php

"Redd, both of his parents, Oscar and Dexterlene Redd, and Stump testified on his behalf along with two assistant principals. Redd said West Orange-Stark head coach Cornel Thompson was there to testify against him and was accompanied by West Orange-Stark principal Hutcherson Hill and a coach from Channelview.

Redd said Thompson told the committee that he heard from several students at WO-S that Redd transferred because he thought his talents would be better utilized playing football at West Brook."

Read more: http://www.beaumontenterprise.com/sports/hs/article/West-Brook-s-Redd-wins-appeal-to-UIL-declared-2168979.php#ixzz1XtDj14Lk

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="1056509" timestamp="1315966439"]
http://www.beaumontenterprise.com/sports/hs/article/West-Brook-s-Redd-wins-appeal-to-UIL-declared-2168979.php

"Redd, both of his parents, Oscar and Dexterlene Redd, and Stump testified on his behalf along with two assistant principals. Redd said West Orange-Stark head coach Cornel Thompson was there to testify against him and was accompanied by West Orange-Stark principal Hutcherson Hill and a coach from Channelview.

Redd said Thompson told the committee that he heard from several students at WO-S that Redd transferred because he thought his talents would be better utilized playing football at West Brook."

Read more: http://www.beaumontenterprise.com/sports/hs/article/West-Brook-s-Redd-wins-appeal-to-UIL-declared-2168979.php#ixzz1XtDj14Lk
[/quote]
It's funny how you're always in the middle of poking a needle at WO-S.  You try so hard to look like you have no dog in this fight, but we know better.  It's a subtle obsession of yours.  Coop has been absent for you to ridicule, but it doesn't matter...the jabs keep coming.  'Just couldn't wait to start this one, huh? 

[quote name="griff" post="1056513" timestamp="1315967071"]
[quote author=AggiesAreWe link=topic=88223.msg1056509#msg1056509 date=1315966439]

[/quote]
It's funny how you're always in the middle of poking a needle at WO-S.  You try so hard to look like you have no dog in this fight, but we know better.  It's a subtle obsession of yours.  Coop has been absent for you to ridicule, but it doesn't matter...the jabs keep coming.  'Just couldn't wait to start this one, huh?
[/quote]

Glad to see I'm not the only one that sees him for what he really is.

How is this poking the needle at WOS?  This is an article from the Beaumont Enterprise.  Is it not a fact the Redd kid had to go to a hearing on if he could play or not?  From my understanding any kid can transfer out of a school that in Unacceptable without having to sit out.  Even if it was for "Athletic" reasons, do you think he would say it was?  I used to be a WOS supporter but,  come on Thompson,  stop wasting tax payer dollars testifing on a kid transfering on what you heard from other students and from a school that has other problems than their football team.  Let the smites begin.

[quote name="griff" post="1056513" timestamp="1315967071"]
[quote author=AggiesAreWe link=topic=88223.msg1056509#msg1056509 date=1315966439]

[/quote]
[/quote]

It's Football season, it is news, and it involves a MAJOR football power in SE Texas.  Not sure how is starting any fires.  If it was basketball season and it involved HJ, i would expect the same thing.  He is not starting rumors or fires or whatever you want to call it.  If anyone else  posted it, would you have the same reaction?

[quote name="86hawk" post="1056632" timestamp="1316006374"]
[quote author=griff link=topic=88223.msg1056513#msg1056513 date=1315967071]

[/quote]
[/quote]

It's Football season, it is news, and it involves a MAJOR football power in SE Texas.  Not sure how is starting any fires.  If it was basketball season and it involved HJ, i would expect the same thing.  He is not starting rumors or fires or whatever you want to call it.  If anyone else  posted it, would you have the same reaction?
[/quote]

Absolutely it is news.

[quote name="TITAN POWER" post="1056591" timestamp="1316001102"]
How is this poking the needle at WOS?  This is an article from the Beaumont Enterprise.  Is it not a fact the Redd kid had to go to a hearing on if he could play or not?  From my understanding any kid can transfer out of a school that in Unacceptable without having to sit out.  Even if it was for "Athletic" reasons, do you think he would say it was?  I used to be a WOS supporter but,  come on Thompson,  stop wasting tax payer dollars testifing on a kid transfering on what you heard from other students and from a school that has other problems than their football team.  Let the smites begin.
[/quote]

No smites from me.

Quote from another thread--name withheld because I believe the poster was sincere.

"Valid point, but do we know for SURE that it is because of WOS? and do we know for SURE it was because the coach didnt sign off? That coach is nowhere near that kind of person. His belief of what I have always seen is if you dont want to be a Mustang, good luck to you somewhere else. No grudges from him."

I am disappointed that this coach felt the urge to fight this.  We all know that WOS and other schools have had students transfer for various reasons including sports. Parents do these sorts of things right or wrong.  In this case, the transfer was well in advance and to a school that is not in the same classification nor district.  I recall a high profile WB baseball player moving to WOS because of its once well known reputation. 
Again, I thought the delay of this transfer was a lack of class on his part and I hope he handles these things better next time--because there will be a next time. 

[quote name="WeedBegone" post="1056693" timestamp="1316011306"]
Quote from another thread--name withheld because I believe the poster was sincere.

"Valid point, but do we know for SURE that it is because of WOS? and do we know for SURE it was because the coach didnt sign off? That coach is nowhere near that kind of person. His belief of what I have always seen is if you dont want to be a Mustang, good luck to you somewhere else. No grudges from him."

I am disappointed that this coach felt the urge to fight this.  We all know that WOS and other schools have had students transfer for various reasons including sports. Parents do these sorts of things right or wrong.  In this case, the transfer was well in advance and to a school that is not in the same classification nor district.  I recall a high profile WB baseball player moving to WOS because of its once well known reputation. 
Again, I thought the delay of this transfer was a lack of class on his part and I hope he handles these things better next time--because there will be a next time.
[/quote]

:-X

[quote name="TITAN POWER" post="1056591" timestamp="1316001102"]
[/quote]

No smite.  But I would like to quote the provision that you are asking Coach Thompson to sign off on:

"6.  Based on your knowledge of the student and their circumstances, is this student changing schools for athletic purposes?"

Based upon the only knowledge they had, Coach Thompson and Mr. Hill checked "yes."  What would like for them to have lied and said "no" when his knowledge indicated otherwise?  We just had a thread which some were calling for a Watergate-like investigation of the WO-S program because it appears that someone tried to change a date on a physical exam form.  Yet, this members of this same board are going to openly advocate that Coach Thompson give a false answer and sign his name attesting to that false answer on an official state document? And that the basis for such a falsehood be convenience?

Please!

[quote name="WeedBegone" post="1056693" timestamp="1316011306"]

[/quote]

And who said it was Coach Thompson that was fighting this?  He signed the form as it asked based upon his knowledge and he, along with Hutchison Hill and for that I am sure were asked by the UIL to go to Austin to explain his knowledge.  I am quite sure that with a big game coming up with Jasper, Coach Thompson also had much better things to do than to be in the UIL offices in Austin.

I am sorry that in your book this shows a lack of class.  But in the past month Coach Thompson has thrown a key player off his team when he found that his true age was being concealed and he was ineligible and threw two other players off of the team when he found that their eligibility as to residency was in question.  So his conduct with regard to Redd, as you call "classless," is just what I see as continuous course of conduct of a coach who is going to ensure that UIL rules are adhered to.  I know that it has been largely the course that such forms are rubber stamped by the former schools and that in the past that WO-S has been both benefactor and beneficiary of such a custom.  But to call classless a coach that takes the question seriously and answers the question truthfully, is well, pretty classless in itself.

[quote name="WOSgrad" post="1056710" timestamp="1316012823"]
[quote author=WeedBegone link=topic=88223.msg1056693#msg1056693 date=1316011306]

[/quote]

And who said it was Coach Thompson that was fighting this?  He signed the form as it asked based upon his knowledge and he, along with Hutchison Hill and for that I am sure were asked by the UIL to go to Austin to explain his knowledge.  I am quite sure that with a big game coming up with Jasper, Coach Thompson also had much better things to do than to be in the UIL offices in Austin.

I am sorry that in your book this shows a lack of class.  But in the past month Coach Thompson has thrown a key player off his team when he found that his true age was being concealed and he was ineligible and threw two other players off of the team when he found that their eligibility as to residency was in question.  So his conduct with regard to Redd, as you call "classless," is just what I see as continuous course of conduct of a coach who is going to ensure that UIL rules are adhered to.  I know that it has been largely the course that such forms are rubber stamped by the former schools and that in the past that WO-S has been both benefactor and beneficiary of such a custom.  But to call classless a coach that takes the question seriously and answers the question truthfully, is well, pretty classless in itself.
[/quote]

Geeze I hit a huge nerve here.  Lets not go to the extent of taking my remarks out of text.  I did not refer to the coach as classless---I did say that this particular incident lacked class.  I am sure that there are lots of other things he is capable of handling quite well.  But I am disappointed that this delay could have been handled better if WOS would have simply released the player.  I stand by my comment on this incident and can still appreciate the success that WOS has.  But, wow, a comment against something makes me classless.  I refuse to say the same about you, because I dont feel that way.  So, can I have at least a very little tiny bit of  my class back.

[quote name="WeedBegone" post="1056717" timestamp="1316013872"]
[quote author=WOSgrad link=topic=88223.msg1056710#msg1056710 date=1316012823]
[quote author=WeedBegone link=topic=88223.msg1056693#msg1056693 date=1316011306]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Geeze I hit a huge nerve here.  Lets not go to the extent of taking my remarks out of text.  I did not refer to the coach as classless---I did say that this particular incident lacked class.  I am sure that there are lots of other things he is capable of handling quite well.  But I am disappointed that this delay could have been handled better if WOS would have simply released the player.  I stand by my comment on this incident and can still appreciate the success that WOS has.  But, wow, a comment against something makes me classless.  I refuse to say the same about you, because I dont feel that way.  So, can I have at least a very little tiny bit of  my class back.
[/quote]

+1 for you sir.

A few things worked in Redd's favor; one, WOS High School is unacceptable and West Brook in accademiclly acceptable. Two, the Redd family moved to Beaumont and actually resides there. Three, they moved there last spring. He had already enrolled in school last year. The only thing I question is why the district ruled him inelligable in the first place.
To answer a earlier post, you can transfer anywhere if your school is unacceptable, however, you still have sit out a year, if you live outside the district you are transfering too.

I like Coach Thompson and I always cheer for WO-S when they are playing someone other than LC-M but this didn't need to go all the way to the UIL. They voted 6-0 in favor of the kid. It wasn't even close.

As for transfers into the WO-S program I can think of a very highly successful athlete in Jason Woods who transferred from South Park. He was a QB there but at that time the Mustangs ran the veer so he was moved to TE.

However, football wasn't his best sport as he was drafted out of high school as a catcher in baseball. He played two seasons of minor league ball and ended up on the last roster before football was dropped as a QB in 1988 for Lamar University.

Guy was 6'6, 225 lbs and dated a friend of mine's sister.

Finally, I hope everyone who reads this thread doesn't think I'm a Coach Thompson hater because I'm far from it. He went out of his way to help a relative. I just think going by what people say and not facts is a mistake. Especially, high school age kids.

Good luck to the kid and may he and West Brook have a successful season. 

[quote name="rollinac" post="1056987" timestamp="1316032177"]
Although you do make a good argument grad...it does sound petty and spiteful when a Channelview Coach shows up as well.  I'm guessing he coached at WOS last year.
[/quote]

I don't know how the coach from Channelview was involved in this matter.  But what would seem more petty? Coach Thompson checking the "yes" box and then when asked to present the basis for doing so by the UIL making the trip up to Austin?  Or for him to check "Yes" and have everybody show for the hearing on the appeal and he not bother.  You see, whether or not Coach Thompson or any of the others show up Monday at that hearing, that hearing was going to be necessary if Robert Redd was to play football this year as it was an appeal of the decision made by the 21-5A executive committee.

Some use the 6-0 decision to hail this as the fact that Coach Thompson has no basis on which to check yes.  Not true, as the question asks whether based on his knowledge was the move for athletic purposes.  And while you can disagree with what formed the basis of that knowledge, it was his knowledge at the time.  He felt in good conscience that he had to check "yes" on that form and at least one committee (the 21-5A exec committee) felt his basis was sufficient.

Others point to the fact that WO-S' unacceptable academic rating as the obvious reason for the move.  Guys, check your dates!  Redd transferred to West Brook during the spring and had attended classes there and had even participated in West Brook's 7 on 7 games and tournaments before the 2011 academic ratings which classified WO-S as academically unacceptable came out (July 29, 2011, http://ritter.tea.state.tx.us/perfreport/account/2011/index.html).  The rating of WO-S High School at the time of Redd's transfer, academically acceptable (http://ritter.tea.state.tx.us/perfreport/account/2010/statelist.html#w).  Indeed if an academically unacceptable ranking had indeed been the basis behind a transfer, the Redds would not have even been there last year as (I am kind of ashamed to report) WO-S High had an 2009 rating of academically unacceptable.

On the totality of the circumstances, I can see why Coach Thompson based upon the knowledge he possessed felt compelled to check yes on that box.  The UIL saw things differently and Robert Redd will be on the field Saturday.  But that this process had to play out was not out of jealousy or vindictiveness, but out of honestly answering the questions in front of him.

I have noted above and I will again, that WO-S, as well as every other high school in the area, has benefited from a transfer ( I am all too aware of the Jason Woods transfer as I graduated with Jason and quite clearly remember all of the hoopla surrounding his transfer from South Park).  Equally so, they have been benefactors.  Most recently recall the case of Cameron Allen, who transferred from WO-S to LC-M, who was the subject of some idiotic anonymous letter calling his transfer into question.  You remember that the situation never went farther than that letter?  You know why? Because Dan Hooks signed the letter saying that Cameron had not transferred for athletic purposes.  And the same was done with Zack Droulliard, a key member of the Mustang baseball team in 2009-10 and a pretty vital member for LC-M's in 2010-11. 

In this case, Coach Thompson in good conscience could not do so.  I, for one, am glad to see that this kind of integrity remains in my home town.

I in no way, shape or form question the integrity of Coach Thompson. However, I can imagine how kids got their informaton. For example, Redd speaking to a classmate "I'm going to transfer to West Brook in the spring and play football next season for the Bruins."

Based on that, it sound like he is transferring to play football. However, what he may have left out of the conversation is his father or mother gained employment in Beaumont.

I'm well aware of LC-M getting several transfers from WO-S but that goes both ways as a stud WR who ended up getting a scholarship transferred from LC-M to WO-S within the past five years. Can't recall his name right now but I'm sure others will remember.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SVD Beaumont
    Newest Member
    SVD Beaumont

• Where were the 8 Omaha teams in D1's preseason top 25 poll... 2. Florida 8. A&M 9. Tennessee 13. N.C.State 14. Virginia 15. North Carolina Kentucky - unranked Florida State - unranked
    • That TDS is really flaring. Now do Biden. You have way, way, way more material. And keep that bitter "you are better than me" jealousy tone you have with Trump. You know Biden, the one you want everyone to vote for instead of Trump. Somehow you didn't acknowledge my pleas for you to die a painful death. I was quite certain that is how you would have interpreted my previous post. I guess when your focus is Trump 24/7, nothing else matters.
    • I have a better one. The point that nobody wants to acknowledge is that Dems are crossing over to vote Trump in the primaries and in the general so he will win the presidency. That way Trump will get the blame when the Dems implement their sinister plan to deport all of the minorities in the country. They have already laid the groundwork...convincing everyone that Trump and Republicans are racist (without providing any proof). Then it will be just a matter of time to execute their White supremacy plan of the great purge of the dirty, unwashed, heathen, non-Whites that roam freely in this country. I think my theory is more viable than your theory. Maybe we can get some other ridiculous scenarios so we can start a poll.
    • But that’s what Trump’s fanboys don’t understand.  When he talked about sexually assaulting women, y’all laughed it off as “locker room talk.”  When it was proven that he raped E. Jean Carroll, you cried that it was all an injustice… a lie. Even though he’d already confessed to doing the same thing to other women.  John McCain has suffered and sacrificed more for his country than practically anybody, except possible gold star families… and Trump called him a loser or something to that effect. “Oh, it was a joke that no one was supposed to take seriously.” But when Trump, after disrespecting the sacrifices of one of our most valiant, y’all are like “just because Trump didn’t go to Omaha Beach doesn’t mean he isn’t pro military!” Really? All you have to do is listen to what he said about McCain’s service. Not McCain as an opponent, not McCain’s political views… about the fact that the man was tortured, probably raped, and who knows what all else for over five years for swearing an oath and putting on the uniform.  But all of y’all supposedly “pro military” people just laughed along with Trump. “Good one, Sir! Maverick my new-hind! Filthy Rino!”  I don’t understand how the same people (y’all) who probably always say “thank you for your service” to any veteran still support a guy who craps on the ones who suffered the most on our behalf.  It’s baffling. 
    • Wow. Do you actually believe your little scenario has any chance of alleviating you of your moral immaturity? Deflection at it's best...or worse. You seem to be a sad case. If you died today, I would be remiss if not attributing your cause of death to severe TDS, and of course, Covid. Look at that. I just made a joke about your death. You did not get offended. Nobody was offended. Not one person will accuse me of being hateful towards fellow human beings. But yet, you hate Trump because he made a similar crude comment about McCain. You tried to attribute that comment as evidence Trump hates the military. What grade level of schoolchildren do you think is laughing at you for that "less that adolescent" (hint, hint) comment. You used one crude comment in an attempt to justify your TDS. Now, when called on it, you try to deflect the whole topic. You are certainly not having any fun with this, but you sure are providing entertainment for the board. It's a shame you can't join in on the fun. I think even Big Girl might be to the point of giggling at the shamelessness you are exhibiting.
  • Topics