Former Silsbee DC to be new Lamar DC

[quote name="Green Menace" post="1021742" timestamp="1309525722"]
Has he had [u]any[/u] college football coaching experience?
[/quote]

He's been on staff at LU for 2 or 3 years... When they brought the program back, he was one of the first coaches brought on.

Guest tigersvoice
[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="1021858" timestamp="1309545753"]
New statement made today has McGallion and new coach Johnson being co DC's.
[/quote]

Well, crap!  If you can't name a Defensive Coordinator then you don't have a Defensive Coordinator.  The "Co-" stuff is just appeasement.  I'm getting aggitated over Woodard's inability to make choices/decisions.

[quote name="tigersvoice" post="1021864" timestamp="1309546997"]
[quote author=AggiesAreWe link=topic=85363.msg1021858#msg1021858 date=1309545753]
New statement made today has McGallion and new coach Johnson being co DC's.
[/quote]

Well, crap!  [b]If you can't name a Defensive Coordinator then you don't have a Defensive Coordinator[/b].  The "Co-" stuff is just appeasement.  I'm getting aggitated over Woodard's inability to make choices/decisions.

[/quote]
Right on the $.

HS coaches moving up to an FCS or FBS assistants position is a bad deal.  Trust me, I know.  UNT's experiment not only failed with Todd Dodge, but specifically the Defensive Coordinator came up from Southlake Carroll, and was a complete disaster.

Just saying, be careful Lamar.

[quote name="Green Menace" post="1022094" timestamp="1309663649"]
HS coaches moving up to an FCS or FBS assistants position is a bad deal.  Trust me, I know.  UNT's experiment not only failed with Todd Dodge, but specifically the Defensive Coordinator came up from Southlake Carroll, and was a complete disaster.

Just saying, be careful Lamar.
[/quote]

He's been there for 3 going on 4 years now I do believe, so he has some experience. The guy from UTEP will be in control of most everything, I imagine.

[quote name="sleepy" post="1022357" timestamp="1309881099"]
Are you guys stupid?  PLease realize this is a title and Woodard will be calling the shots.  GEEEZ!
[/quote]And the way you get a guy to leave UTEP for a start-up program is find a way to give him more money -- make him a cooridnator

And this guy probably forgot more about the game than I'll ever know.  He was a complete disaster at North Texas.

Going from coaching HS athletes is totally different than coaching at the higher levels of college football.  Just saying....

[url=http://www.meangreensports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=1800&ATCLID=746305]HS Defensive Coordinator[/url]

He didn't jump from a high school DC to a college DC. He jumped up to a college position coach for multiple seasons and now has another promotion to Co-DC. Dodge jumped straight to head coaching in FBS. His offenses were just fine. That's why he now has a job at Pitt.

Guest tigersvoice
[quote name="ForeverADog" post="1022156" timestamp="1309722360"]
Texas has had co-defensive coordinators for several years. Worked fine for them. Typically one is giving play calling duties like a normal DC and the other is just giving the title to help keep from leaving the school and also a pay raise.
[/quote]

Seems like the Texas (assuming you are talking about the Longhorns) defense kind of fell on its face last year.  I don't know how much of that was actually the "Co-coordinators" fault but they certainly got blamed for it.

[quote name="sleepy" post="1022601" timestamp="1309981458"]
Art Briles only spent a couple of season at Tech before he worked miracles at Houston.  Guess in those two years he became that much smarter.  I can tell you from conversations with him he didn't. 
[/quote]
Was he the defensive coordinator at Tech?  Don't think he was.  I'm just saying that these HS Coaches come from programs where they deal with kids from one particular program.  College sports (football) is different.  Your dealing with inner city kids, kids from affluent families, working class familites, and everything in between.  A college coach has to almost be a parent away from home for these college youngsters.  To me, it takes a few years for a new coach to learn to deal with the social issues as much as the X's and O's.  Mendoza was a defensive coordinator, not a position coach.

And for the record, Todd Dodge was as fine a person as you could want to head up your program and represent your university.  A very fine person that could do well after a few years as an assistant at Pitt, or HC at a D1A or DII program.

And you could be right, McGallion and his co-defensive partner could do a masterful job at Lamar.  I just think there were better options out there.  Like, a defensive coordinator with some college skins on the wall.

I think Woodard made a good decision by hiring from within. The players don't have to learn a new system. He can continue with the momentum he in part has developed with the defense the past 2 years. He know all his players and their abilities. Plus Woodard already trusts him and knows his style.

As far as the Texas comparison, the Longhorns had Co-DC for the past 8 years or so. In that time they won 9 games every year except last year and went to 2 National championship games and won 1. I would love if Lamar could ever get close to that at FCS.

[quote name="ForeverADog" post="1022627" timestamp="1309985485"]
I think Woodard made a good decision by hiring from within. The players don't have to learn a new system. He can continue with the momentum he in part has developed with the defense the past 2 years. He know all his players and their abilities. Plus Woodard already trusts him and knows his style.

As far as the Texas comparison, the Longhorns had Co-DC for the past 8 years or so. In that time they won 9 games every year except last year and went to 2 National championship games and won 1. I would love if Lamar could ever get close to that at FCS.
[/quote]

Muschamp was alone as the DC the last 3 or 4 years.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami

• What the writer stated wrt crossover votes in the primary/runoff: "Covey and his supporters Paxton and Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick said Phelan only won because Democrats crossed over to vote in the Republican Primary for him. Paxton said Covey’s campaign identified “at least” 1,442 Democrats who voted early in Jefferson County in the primary runoff. Texas does not have party registration, but a voter’s primary voting history is public. The Covey campaign has not released its methodology behind its claim, but  This is the hidden content, please Sign In or Sign Up  by The Texan news website found that 9% of Republican voters in the March District 21 primary had voted in one of the previous four Democratic primaries. However, only 5% of that group had voted in all four previous Democratic primaries. What Phelan’s opponents did not mention is historically Democratic Jefferson County is undergoing a political transition towards the Republican party — the county judge switched his affiliation to the GOP in 2017 — so many residents have a mixed primary voting history. And Phelan’s allies in the House dismissed the idea that liberals swung the election. "I knocked on doors, hundreds and hundreds of doors, made calls for Dade,” Republican Rep. Jeff Leach, R-Plano, said on Mark Davis’ radio program Wednesday. “I did not speak to a single Democrat down here in HD21. Not a single one." "  
    • He's with it enough to do what he's told, beginning day 1 when he signed the order to revoke the Keystone Pipeline project.  But more recently, he's protecting the DOJ, as well as himself ...  This is the hidden content, please Sign In or Sign Up  
    • Most 75-80 year Olds have some type of cognitive impairment. If you are asking if Biden has dementia then my answer is no. That is a Republican talking point. If you all think he has dementia what type do you think he has?
    • A lot better showing from the Ags tonight!   Bring on Oregon 
  • Topics