Spindle Top Director Jan Van Beveren dies

I thought by now this topic would have already been posted but for you that did not know Jan Van Beveren passed away at his apartment in Beaumont yesterday.  Jan was 63yrs old. Still a young man by today's standards.

I do not know if many of the local soccer folks really realized what we had in Jan.. a very dynamic player in his day. Yes I will agree he could be brash at times or better described as brutally honest but still he possessed a wealth of soccer knowledge that may never be available to this area again... I think it was miraculous that he ever landed here in Beaumont.  I think it may be many years before the true impact of his loss is actually felt.  I know a lot was expected of Jan and some believe he may not have delivered to their expectations.. but that will never diminish the true greatness that was Jan Van Beveren. I am telling you it was like having Roger Staubach here to teach football or Larry Byrd to teach basketball.. not something that will happen very often in our small community. He was considered a legend in his country and he lived up to the accolades. If it were not for politics he would have lead his team to a World Cup final or even Championship.

We will not meet many soccer players of his caliber to take up residence here in Beaumont and sacrifice a comfortable life with his wife in Dallas to teach our kids the game and for that he has earned my utmost respect. He truly loved our kids.  I do not know about you but I loved to "Name Drop" his name throughout the country whenever I had the chance.  I am still amazed I could call him a friend and had one of the most exciting and memorable road trips with him, Mike, and Vic our Wifes and kids to South Carolina for a President's Cup Championship in 2009 via RV thanks to coach Mike.... Jan kept us in stitches laughing with his quick wit and humor. He was a riot!

I will never forget his favorite line " Are you kidding me! "

Jan I will miss you man!

Rory
http://bit.ly/jiye7o thanks for the article doctordave.... This article says it all folks!

Very much a class act. SSSC was fortunate to have him training the players for the past 4 years. I coached against him and his teams always showed up ready to play. I gave up my team this year so that my daughter could be trained by Jan at Select. He will be missed by everyone that knew him.  There is a great article in the Sports Illustrated archives from 1982 about him.

So long Flying Dutchman!

[quote name="fiveoclocksomewhere" post="1021311" timestamp="1309378762"]
Very much a class act. SSSC was fortunate to have him training the players for the past 4 years. I coached against him and his teams always showed up ready to play. I gave up my team this year so that my daughter could be trained by Jan at Select. He will be missed by everyone that knew him.  There is a great article in the Sports Illustrated archives from 1982 about him.

So long Flying Dutchman!
[/quote]
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1125729/index.htm

awesome five-o!

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder