Tryout Questions

I asked why not include the "new" coaches names.....what is there to hide....in fact if you or the coach has nothing to hide...and is a good coach...id think it would be an advantage to let everyone know who it is

yes we were dads...but there is a difference in being a "dad" and a "coach" that has a kid playing most and I repeat most don't get the difference.

I brought up tryouts because we got our....handed to us for "just" anouncing a new team BEFORE nationals....I don't really care..I do think we should set a timeline we all agree on....with that said.....ill be the one to give in....ill never mention in again.....

No one said ALL the good players play for teams going to nats....but one of them may want to play for you...then what?

The problem is not with the kids that DON'T want to play college ball....its the daddy coaches that convince these kids to stay with their kid (friends)...by the time the player with dreams to play realize what has happened to them....its either too late...or at least too late for them to have multiple options at that level..

I had a long long talk with one of my best players about staying with Shockers Gold Or go to Houston Power.....we were just starting the Gold team....I explained to them we could not provide the recruiting she was looking for...as far as the quality college team.....it definately hurt our org by losing that kind of talent....but it was what was best for her....so we encouraged her to go.

I chose to step out of coaching last year to allow my kid to have the experience of playing for someone else....as well as the other players on my team.

Some will call it "self promoting"....my question is....how many are willing to tell their best player to go somewhere else because you can't provide what they truely need....how many are willing to step away from their DD's because its what they need....

It's simple really....don't be selfish....and do it for ANY kid....not just for yours.

I for sure don’t have all the answers.

One softball ball club in SETX could work. We just have to want it to work. Each org would have to swallow their pride and take pride in what we could build. There could be different levels of play at each age group requiring a different commitment with different goals. I understand that not every girl wants to live, eat and breathe softball, I don’t and I coach. We could have an org for different types of players with different goals all under one hat. They would represent SETX well on every level, Gold, A, B instead of just representing.  This area has a load of talent that is spread out. By combining the knowledge and contacts that so many of you coaches have could really benefit our local girls.

I’m not trying to bash any new team starting out. I’m just wondering what are we accomplishing as a softball community?

How many organizations would even be willing to sit down and see if we could make it work?  Just because it has failed once doesn’t mean new players couldn’t succeed on another try. Just so I’m clear, I am not looking to coach but I am sure there are some good ones out there. I’ll help in any way I can.

[quote name="Chrisf" post="1020541" timestamp="1308884947"]
It sounds like your all showing a bad example for the kids by arguing. I just hope your not doing this in front of the girls.

[/quote]

I don't think its arguing.... I really thought we were just stating our opinions. Right or wrong its just OUR opinions.

[quote name="CRUSHCOACH" post="1020973" timestamp="1309187217"]
[quote author=Chrisf link=topic=85141.msg1020541#msg1020541 date=1308884947]
It sounds like your all showing a bad example for the kids by arguing. I just hope your not doing this in front of the girls.

[/quote]

I don't think its arguing.... I really thought we were just stating our opinions. Right or wrong its just OUR opinions.
[/quote]stating opinions and agruing are both part of life the kids know this. everyone wants what we think is best for the kids. my Shocker team practices a lot, not evryone wants to do that and we practice in Beaumont not everyone wants to drive that far for practice, that in no way means that they are not seroius about softball or do not want to go to college. I yell a lot and run a tough practice just because a kid does like that does not mean that they are not a good, seroius softball players. each kid has different reasons for where they play let the kids and their parents make up they own mind. in Houston they some very good teams but there is no one team that gets all the great players. they are spread around to several top tier teams. I also coached with Verde on Blast Gold and we did not get all the best players. we got some good ones and the best we could to help them develop the same thing that all the coaches are doing now. we got lucky and had a very talented group of kids that were willing to do anything to get better. we had kids go and come back at different times we just did the best we could and Verde was a GREAT coach and an even GREATER PERSON. I am proud to have been a part of it but that was then and this is now. I believe that all the coaches are doing the best they can, the best way that they know how. sorry to be so long but when I get started hard to stop some times. 

Robert Verde did more for my kid than I could have imagined. She committed to LSU while playing for him, and I really didn't have any idea how big of a deal that was, but Robert never did anything to sway us. We had a conversation after she was playing for Ronn at Texas Storm that showed me just how great of a man he was. Anyway back to the point, he had a way of getting the kids to demand their best from themselves, so he didn't have to. I really wish we could have the very best kids on one team. The only way to make this happen is for one team to set themselves apart from the others. They still will not get all of the kids, but hopefully the majority. Coaches have pride and do not want to surrender control of their teams. Nothing wrong with that, they believe they are doing the best for their kids. Because the best or most of them end up on one team, does not mean the rest have no place to play. In fact there should be other teams to support these players. Some may strive to make the "A" team while others may have different priorities and goals, and as I have stated many times; there are now wrong goals, just the ones that fit you best.

[quote name="JohnnyT60" post="1021016" timestamp="1309208508"]
Robert Verde did more for my kid than I could have imagined. She committed to LSU while playing for him, and I really didn't have any idea how big of a deal that was, but Robert never did anything to sway us. We had a conversation after she was playing for Ronn at Texas Storm that showed me just how great of a man he was. Anyway back to the point, he had a way of getting the kids to demand their best from themselves, so he didn't have to. I really wish we could have the very best kids on one team. The only way to make this happen is for one team to set themselves apart from the others. They still will not get all of the kids, but hopefully the majority. Coaches have pride and do not want to surrender control of their teams. Nothing wrong with that, they believe they are doing the best for their kids. Because the best or most of them end up on one team, does not mean the rest have no place to play. In fact there should be other teams to support these players. Some may strive to make the "A" team while others may have different priorities and goals, and as I have stated many times; there are now wrong goals, just the ones that fit you best.
[/quote]

"To set themselves apart from others" interesting statement....please define this.

I'm also assuming you felt Blast Gold had accomplished this during their time...explain what they did...what tourn. they played in....who the coaches were....what their accomplishment were etc.

[quote name="Craig S" post="1020545" timestamp="1308886769"]
I had a long long talk with one of my best players about staying with Shockers Gold Or go to Houston Power.....we were just starting the Gold team....I explained to them we could not provide the recruiting she was looking for...as far as the quality college team.....it definately hurt our org by losing that kind of talent....but it was what was best for her....so we encouraged her to go.

Some will call it "self promoting"....my question is....how many are willing to tell their best player to go somewhere else because you can't provide what they truely need....how many are willing to step away from their DD's because its what they need....
[/quote]
I just had the same conversation with 2 kids at the end of school ball.  Both are still with me for now, but if I can't help them reach their goals, how can I justify holding them back????

[quote author=JohnnyT60 link=topic=85141.msg1021016#msg1021016 date=1309208508]
....Because the best or most of them end up on one team, does not mean the rest have no place to play. In fact there should be other teams to support these players....
[/quote]

This is where I come in!  ;D  I have helped 9  kids in the last 3 years get scholarship monies to help pay for their college.  None were DI's, but who cares?  That's not what those kids were looking for!  Do we need to turn our collective backs on those kids who are looking for DII, DIII, or JUCO schools?  I don't think so!  That's why I do what I do!  I'll most likely never take a team to Gold Nationals - Does that make the kids who play me for any less important?  No way!!!

This is not intended as a rant on those who do know me or what I do - It's to inform those who think the only team needs to be the best 12 players from the area, and forget the rest...  Those other kids need a place to go as well - Don't leave them out!

[quote name="3ABirdMan" post="1022324" timestamp="1309834930"]
[quote author=Craig S link=topic=85141.msg1020545#msg1020545 date=1308886769]

[/quote]
I just had the same conversation with 2 kids at the end of school ball.  Both are still with me for now, but if I can't help them reach their goals, how can I justify holding them back????

[quote author=JohnnyT60 link=topic=85141.msg1021016#msg1021016 date=1309208508]
....Because the best or most of them end up on one team, does not mean the rest have no place to play. In fact there should be other teams to support these players....
[/quote]

This is where I come in!  ;D  I have helped 9  kids in the last 3 years get scholarship monies to help pay for their college.  None were DI's, but who cares?  That's not what those kids were looking for!  Do we need to turn our collective backs on those kids who are looking for DII, DIII, or JUCO schools?  I don't think so!  That's why I do what I do!  I'll most likely never take a team to Gold Nationals - Does that make the kids who play me for any less important?  No way!!!

This is not intended as a rant on those who do know me or what I do - It's to inform those who think the only team needs to be the best 12 players from the area, and forget the rest...  Those other kids need a place to go as well - Don't leave them out!
[/quote]

I think all coaches in the GT have stepped up their game in the recruiting department. Partly due to attempting to stay competitive in getting top atheltes from our area to play for them, and understandably so.

I also agreee that not all players are DI players, in fact not all players WANT to play D1 or even go to 4 year schools. Its not those that concern me. Its the players in the area that ARE DI, not necessarily SEC, Big 12, etc....but perhaps McNeese, Texas State, UTSA, UTA, SFA....etc....or maybe even those that are DII, DIII and NAIA material that are getting only JUCO scholarships. Nothing wrong with that if those players have options including 4 yr options and they CHOOSE to play at a JUCO. Its those that take the only option available (JUCO) and you look at those players a ask WHY?

Is the WHY because they are being under recruited, selling their skill short of what it really is? Is it because of lack of contacts with 4 yr schools? Is it becasue of lack confidence with the 4 yr coaches in the development of players? Is it due to the select team being an unknown to the college coaches? Is it because they aren't being put in front of the right coaches at the right time or often enough (tournament selection or opportunity)?

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder