Tryout Questions

These are just a few questions I have, please feel free to answer and/or add your own questions.

1) What's with all the tryout dates BEFORE nationals?

2) What's with the announcement of "new" teams without coaches names (whats the big secret)?

3) Why would one "think" just because a coach doesnt have a kid playing, means "NO DADDY BALL"?

4) Ive been doing this for a while now. Ive had many discussions with others who have been around for a while. It is never clear as to why we have these same questions year in and year out.

5) Same as #4 as far as been around for a while and asking SAME ole questions....but why arent we doing more to consolidate the talent in the GT area...rather than continue to dilute it with "friends", "daddy's" "high school teams" etc?

Here ya go CRUSHCOACH, you said you were bored....lets get it going.

[quote name="Craig S" post="1020161" timestamp="1308750746"]
These are just a few questions I have, please feel free to answer and/or add your own questions.

1) What's with all the tryout dates BEFORE nationals?           [color=orange] To each there own on this. Probably is better to wait just to be able to get some faces that have been to Nationals. But, if no teams are going to Nationals in the area and area players are what you are loking for....go for it[/color]

2) What's with the announcement of "new" teams without coaches names (whats the big secret)?   [color=orange]I agree here. Coaches need to give their names[/color]

3) Why would one "think" just because a coach doesnt have a kid playing, means "NO DADDY BALL"?  [color=orange]TRUE.... but most coaches have their "Favorites"[/color]

4) Ive been doing this for a while now. Ive had many discussions with others who have been around for a while. It is never clear as to why we have these same questions year in and year out.   [color=orange]Same questions and same comments year end and year out. Always happens about this time every year[/color]

5) Same as #4 as far as been around for a while and asking SAME ole questions....but why arent we doing more to consolidate the talent in the GT area...rather than continue to dilute it with "friends", "daddy's" "high school teams" etc?  [color=orange]Agree here to some extent... but it will take everyone to change this and I don't see it happening anytime soon.... Right or Wrong ??  I really don't know[/color]

Here ya go CRUSHCOACH, you said you were bored....lets get it going.

[/quote]

[quote name="shake and bake" post="1020173" timestamp="1308753279"]
Dang it! I was just about to start my own team. Guess I will wait till .............. ;D
[/quote]

I could just see it now. The Little Bubba's dressed out in Over-alls !! ;) ;D ;D

[quote name="Vicious98" post="1020224" timestamp="1308766911"]
1) What's with all the tryout dates BEFORE nationals?

[color=purple]So why did you post a 10U tryout for your team but questioning other teams for their decisions? And yours is BEFORE nationals!![/color]
[/quote]

Unless my sources are incorrect we are after nationals. Teams will return the weekend before the date we posted....AND....if you are correct....I assure you we will change our tryout date to comply.

Craig it all depends on what nationals you are talking about. I'm assuming you are talking ASA. If ASA is correct then you might want to adjust your date. ASA 12u "A" nationals is from 7/31 to 8/7 in AL. USFA 12u "A" nationals is 7/10 to 7/16.

Guest shake and bake
[quote name="CRUSHCOACH" post="1020177" timestamp="1308753833"]
[quote author=shake and bake link=topic=85141.msg1020173#msg1020173 date=1308753279]
Dang it! I was just about to start my own team. Guess I will wait till .............. ;D
[/quote]

I could just see it now. The Little Bubba's dressed out in Over-alls !! ;) ;D ;D
[/quote]DAMN SKIPPY!!!!  Bale hay all day and practice in the evenings. Will not bother me to coach in OVERALLS!!!! They be comfortable ;D

I've got to agree with you here.

5) why arent we doing more to consolidate the talent in the GT area...rather than continue to dilute it with "friends", "daddy's" "high school teams" etc?

So with that said, who's the first to toss in their hat? GTS, Crush, Intensity, YG etc..... I've seen this subject beat around here many times and no one wants to give. Would the Shockers be the first? If so Intensity will be the second! This fall would be a great time to consolidate. Now is the time to make it happen.

When is the last time SETX has had a team that could seriously compete on the GOLD level? Was it Beaumont Blast? I don't think we ,SETX, will ever compete as long as softball stays the same, ""friends", "daddy's" "high school teams" etc "

When the teams a consolidate and form super teams in all age groups, what do all the girls do that do not make that team? If your DD does not make that team do you just walk away from the sport?

Yes, the talent is watered down, but the young ladies are learning how to compete and learning life lessons along the way!

[quote name="RangerDad" post="1020332" timestamp="1308804430"]
When the teams a consolidate and form super teams in all age groups, what do all the girls do that do not make that team? If your DD does not make that team do you just walk away from the sport?

Yes, the talent is watered down, but the young ladies are learning how to compete and learning life lessons along the way!
[/quote]

Great point, RangerDad, but take it a step further.  Besides the kids with a lesser skillset, what about the kids simply not interested in that level?  Not all kids are interested in playing in college, and not all families assess the overall softball experience (ie, value) against the goals of ASA Nationals, gold teams or won/loss records.  Responsible parents should always act on the best interests of thier kid, not peer pressure or the highly opinionated view of a random poster on an internet forum.

The original comments are not unexpected, but are pretty narrow with the derogatory comments about playing with friends, high school teams or daddy's team.  I would assume the OP is a daddy and at one time or another, back in the early days, did much the same thing with his kids.

I agree one combined team would be great for the area girls that are interested in those goals, and hopefully some of the "been there and done that" folks would be interested in coming out of hibernation and starting up a program designed for them.  For those kids not interested, there should still be a place for them as well.

I agree with the fact that all the girls don't play to try to go to college but there are some girls that have a dream of playing college ball with no pressure from parents at all. I think it would be great for this area to get all the girls with that dream to play college in the future to consolidate to one team but I don't think there will ever be an agreement on which organization they should go to because each organization thinks they should be the one the girls go to. Don't get me wrong I am not saying that it is wrong to be passionate or defend their organization I think it is great that the coaches do that. Graig S. is a prime example of this I read a thread on here a few weeks ago where someone was trying to start mess and Graig S. defended his organization and I was very impressed that I thought that would be a great organization for my child to try out for and even asked if they were going to have a 14u team next season. Now I am just wondering why all of the bickering is going on. As far as the daddy ball goes I don't think there are very many teams with coaches that don't have a child on the team. My daughter has played for a couple of teams and I am not going to name them but they had big issues with daddy ball and my daughter was a starter and played the position she plays and wanted to play so it's not like I am complaining because I thought my daughter should be playing a certain position. I just saw what was going on and alot of times. So my question is the two guys (Griag S. and Crushcoach) do ya'll have kids on your team? As far as the tryouts before nationals well I think a team that wants to get an early start I don't see anything wrong with it as long as they are not trying to make the kid quit the team that is going to nationals. There was a team that had a tryout before the state tournament and there wasn't anything said about that. I don't believe in a team that wants a commitment NOW and even makes comments about not wanting the kid to try out for other teams because they don't want them practicing with them and trying out for other teams now i think that is wrong because a player should have a choices. So with all of this being said why can't all the teams just get along and quit bickering and if a new team forms why bash them for forming unless they are at tournaments or practices trying to recruit your girls. I don't see why the coaches don't get together and talk to form the ultimate team in th GT area instead of just complain that it hasn't happened yet! Quit complaining and take action because I think it would be great!

Guest shake and bake
Neither Craig and John (CC) has a kid playing on their teams. Both of CC are in college and Craigs plays for Trout. John has not had 1 playing in 3 years. Both guys are trying to better other peoples kids without the DADDY BALL issues. Truth be known that Craigs oldest played for John when she was a junior in HS. I have coached my kids from 10u on up and both of these guys can tell you I was harder on her than ANY other kid on our team. You all have choices to tryout for different teams. Both of these guys will also ENCOURAGE you to tryout for lots of teams so you can make an EDUCATED choice.

Shake and bake thanks for the info and these guys really do seem like nice guys! I think it's great that they continue to coach after their daughters have moved on but I'm sure they got involved in softball because they had a daughter that played so I just don't agree with the fact that all these teams are complaining because other teams are forming. Now I do think there are alot of select teams out there but the thing is not all of them have teams for the younger girls. GT Shockers is just now forming a 10U team and I know the coach that will be coaching those girls and alot of people don't like her but as far as I'm concerned she is a great coach. My daughter had her as a coach and she loved her. So all I am saying if all these organizations had teams for all age groups then there probably wouldn't be as many teams out there.

Leave the "less" qualified teams alone and let them play. If your organzation builds a reputation for greatness, qualifying for ASA, and putting your players on to college teams. The best will come to your tryouts!

During my girls early years, we would drive over one hour to practice to play for teams that fit the qualities that we were looking for! It is not about the area kids, its about YOUR kid and HER dreams!

[quote name="Old Eagle #70" post="1020324" timestamp="1308801152"]
I've got to agree with you here.

5) why arent we doing more to consolidate the talent in the GT area...rather than continue to dilute it with "friends", "daddy's" "high school teams" etc?

So with that said, who's the first to toss in their hat? GTS, Crush, Intensity, YG etc..... I've seen this subject beat around here many times and no one wants to give. Would the Shockers be the first? If so Intensity will be the second! This fall would be a great time to consolidate. Now is the time to make it happen.

When is the last time SETX has had a team that could seriously compete on the GOLD level? Was it Beaumont Blast? I don't think we ,SETX, will ever compete as long as softball stays the same, ""friends", "daddy's" "high school teams" etc "

[/quote]

This was tried about 4 years ago an did not last.  Crush, Gulf Coast Breakers, and SETX Terror combined.  Couple of people.... (dads) did not like not having the control of the team and left to form another team!  Sorry but I don't think it will ever work!

I also agree with softballdad22 on alot of the points. I think it is great for a coach to defend his/her team but at the same time who cares if a new team is forming who cares if someone is having a tryout before nationals because there is alot of teams that are not involved in going to nationals. Every team in this area has positive and negative things about them from what i have been told and also seen . Overall the kids should be able to look at all options with different teams just like the coaches look at their options when they have several tryouts. Overall it should be whats best for each child.

As coach of the new 14u Young Guns, I have already had a tryout because Nationals does not have every talented player in the area. You never know who will show up and what talent you may see. If a girl has the drive to succeed then I can work with that. I have made statements at my tryouts about not stringing me along because I do need a commitment before a certain date as all coaches do. I encourage everyone to find the team that best suits you no matter how many tryouts it takes. As for Crush and Shockers, I don't have anything against them. Look forward to playing them this fall.

Bottom line... PLAYERS and their PARENTS need to got to each teams tryouts, that they are interested in, and see which team fits their own Goals for softball.

All kids should have a place to play ball if they want to. Some may want to play to get a college education, some just for fun, others may play just to get better for High School. Either way they should all have the right and a place to play.

I just wonder what is happening to all the Leagues in the area, with all the "A" Ball teams that have formed over the past few years?

[quote name="softballdad22" post="1020413" timestamp="1308847675"]
Shake and bake thanks for the info and these guys really do seem like nice guys! I think it's great that they continue to coach after their daughters have moved on but I'm sure they got involved in softball because they had a daughter that played so I just don't agree with the fact that all these teams are complaining because other teams are forming. Now I do think there are alot of select teams out there but the thing is not all of them have teams for the younger girls. GT Shockers is just now forming a 10U team and I know the coach that will be coaching those girls and alot of people don't like her but as far as I'm concerned she is a great coach. My daughter had her as a coach and she loved her. [b]So all I am saying if all these organizations had teams for all age groups then there probably wouldn't be as many teams out there.[/b][/quote]

Several of these organizations do have different age groups. Crush has teams in 5 different age groups as well as Shockers and I also think Young Guns have several age groups as well.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder