10 yr olds / Little League Game thread

[quote name="spoonbill" post="1021749" timestamp="1309528569"]
well well....the ump behind the plate was exactly who i thought it was...know him quite well. i haven't been kicked out of any of his games, but have had a kid and a coach kicked out by him. the kid was kicked out for basically the same thing....jamming/slamming his helmet in it's holder. i didn't have a problem with it. my coach was thrown out for leaving the dugout to talk to a parent "without asking for permission". during the pre-game meeting, the same plate umpire made it VERY clear that leaving the dugout without permission would result in an ejection. i relayed this info VERY clearly to my coaches, but one forgot. i thought it was harsh at the time mainly because it was a regular season game, but the point is he made it VERY clear. he even said something on the line of "i'm not kidding on this...you will be ejected". i've also heard that there WAS a warning on leaving the field. i believe the ejected coach was "retrieved" once before in the game to come back on the field while he was filling a cooler while the ball was in play? correct me if i'm wrong on this. i also found out who sportsgirl is....enough said. btw, the ump behind the plate has been to state more than one time as has the first base blue, and the first base blue is on his way to williamsport later this year. obviously they are doing their job well. little league intl wants the rules followed to the t. if you don't like it do something else. little league will go on without you i promise. adults need to act like adults ESPECIALLY when kids are around looking up to you. a few people are making nederland look pretty foolish.
[/quote]No ..that was not me getting the water..Are you in Ark right now?...I left the field one time and that was to take a leak..Mark is not giving you the right info ;)

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="BaseBow" post="1021767" timestamp="1309531093"]
[quote author=spoonbill link=topic=84994.msg1021749#msg1021749 date=1309528569]
well well....the ump behind the plate was exactly who i thought it was...know him quite well. i haven't been kicked out of any of his games, but have had a kid and a coach kicked out by him. the kid was kicked out for basically the same thing....jamming/slamming his helmet in it's holder. i didn't have a problem with it. my coach was thrown out for leaving the dugout to talk to a parent "without asking for permission". during the pre-game meeting, the same plate umpire made it VERY clear that leaving the dugout without permission would result in an ejection. i relayed this info VERY clearly to my coaches, but one forgot. i thought it was harsh at the time mainly because it was a regular season game, but the point is he made it VERY clear. he even said something on the line of "i'm not kidding on this...you will be ejected". i've also heard that there WAS a warning on leaving the field. i believe the ejected coach was "retrieved" once before in the game to come back on the field while he was filling a cooler while the ball was in play? correct me if i'm wrong on this. i also found out who sportsgirl is....enough said. btw, the ump behind the plate has been to state more than one time as has the first base blue, and the first base blue is on his way to williamsport later this year. obviously they are doing their job well. little league intl wants the rules followed to the t. if you don't like it do something else. little league will go on without you i promise. adults need to act like adults ESPECIALLY when kids are around looking up to you. a few people are making nederland look pretty foolish.
[/quote]No ..that was not me getting the water..Are you in Ark.right now
[/quote]so...you're saying there was a warning then?...currently in big b btw.

I have coached and volunteer umpired for many years and I will put in my 2 cents.  i don't like umpires who look for every excuse to show me as a coach how many rules they know.  As an ump, I would never embarrass a volunteer coach on some technical rule, and would always try to do a warning in private.  That said, it might be a good thing that these umps act like they do at early levels.  It's better to know now that you could get tossed for these types of violations than to wait until a game at sectionals or state.

Obviously, it sounds a little harsh to toss a kid or coach for a momentary lapse of judgment or for a bathroom break, but now there will be no excuses if it happens again.  

[quote name="BaseBow" post="1021767" timestamp="1309531093"]
[/quote]No ..that was not me getting the water..Are you in Ark right now?...I left the field one time and that was to take a leak..Mark is not giving you the right info ;)
[/quote]were you told to not leave the field without permission?... just wondering...i have had several encounters with the plate umpire is why i'm asking.

[quote name="spoonbill" post="1021768" timestamp="1309531459"]
[quote author=BaseBow link=topic=84994.msg1021767#msg1021767 date=1309531093]
[/quote]No ..that was not me getting the water..Are you in Ark.right now
[/quote]so...you're saying there was a warning then?...currently in big b btw.
[/quote]You said for leaving the field of play ...that never happen I was on the field past where we can not stand with a water cooler going back inside the dugout ..No warning was given..Mark did say you are not supposed to be standing here while play was going on..That is no warning...SO no warning was given

[quote name="spoonbill" post="1021771" timestamp="1309532309"]
[quote author=BaseBow link=topic=84994.msg1021767#msg1021767 date=1309531093]
[/quote]were you told to not leave the field without permission?... just wondering...i have had several encounters with the plate umpire is why i'm asking.
[/quote]No I would not have left ..BECAUSE I know both umpires and how they are...My mgr said he never heard them say anything in pre-game meeting about leaving the field..I know now though

[quote name="westend1" post="1021769" timestamp="1309531738"]
I have coached and volunteer umpired for many years and I will put in my 2 cents.  i don't like umpires who look for every excuse to show me as a coach how many rules they know.  As an ump, I would never embarrass a volunteer coach on some technical rule, and would always try to do a warning in private.  That said, it might be a good thing that these umps act like they do at early levels.  It's better to know now that you could get tossed for these types of violations than to wait until a game at sectionals or state.

Obviously, it sounds a little harsh to toss a kid or coach for a momentary lapse of judgment or for a bathroom break, but now there will be no excuses if it happens again.  
[/quote]

Westend.....the best post on all [s]8[/s] 9 pages of this thread!

[quote name="thetragichippy" post="1021776" timestamp="1309532769"]
[quote author=westend1 link=topic=84994.msg1021769#msg1021769 date=1309531738]

[/quote]

Westend.....the best post on all [s]8[/s] 9 pages of this thread!

[/quote]Yep...going for 10pages

Bubba Sonnier, This is Jacob Pillitere, Josh's brother.. I dont mean to ever be rude to people on this forum, but I will stick up for people who receive as much [u]un-needed[/u] trash talk about them as Mr. Merchant.. I got to the game a few minutes after you were tossed. I was was standing as close to Mark on the first base side as the fence let me when the call was made.

Throwing a kid out of a game is hard enough because at that age feelings get hurt at about anything. Mark didnt throw Landon out without a reason or with the intention of of being a bully. Like I said in an earlier post, he will play again. He is a great kid and a pleasure to talk with. I remember him from Little Dribblers and loved his enthusiasm and passion.

The thing that gets me is the umps for district all-stars need to be on the same page as the regular season umps. The reason being is because these kids are learning rules now in all-stars by getting ejected before even knowing all of the rules. Our team is having to have leasons at practice now about asking permission from umps to go to the restroom. The rules that are being enforced now are not enforced during regular season. I think this is the reason everyone is up in arms right now. If LL wants to be strict then they need to be like this all year, not just during LL all-stars. If coaches and players are going to be ejected for every rule violation, then they need to have a rules school or something for everyone involved.

If you were to get a ticket from the police for having a dirty license plate, you would be pissed. Guess what, it's a law. Like I said before please blue use some discretion.

[quote name="Scalp'em" post="1021827" timestamp="1309540379"]
The thing that gets me is the umps for district all-stars need to be on the same page as the regular season umps. The reason being is because these kids are learning rules now in all-stars by getting ejected before even knowing all of the rules. Our team is having to have leasons at practice now about asking permission from umps to go to the restroom. The rules that are being enforced now are not enforced during regular season. I think this is the reason everyone is up in arms right now. If LL wants to be strict then they need to be like this all year, not just during LL. If coaches and players are going to be ejected for every rule violation, then they need to have a rules school or something for everyone involved.

If you were to get a ticket from the police for having a dirty license plate, you would be pissed. Guess what, it's a law. Like I said before please blue use some discretion.
[/quote]Now this is the best post yet...And you are soooooooo correct

[quote name="thetragichippy" post="1021836" timestamp="1309541778"]
[quote author=Scalp'em link=topic=84994.msg1021833#msg1021833 date=1309541300]
So the moral to the story is: if you don't know the rules urine trouble! :D ;D I thought that had a good ring to it.
[/quote]

;D ;D ;D

On a bright note, youth football is almost here!!!
[/quote]
Yep, Junior PNG White is going to be good this year. Ya'll still in Junior?

[quote name="Scalp'em" post="1021833" timestamp="1309541300"]
So the moral to the story is: if you don't know the rules urine trouble! :D ;D I thought that had a good ring to it.
[/quote]no you didn't...you [b]deserve[/b] to be tossed for that one. ;)

[quote name="Scalp'em" post="1021841" timestamp="1309542127"]
[quote author=thetragichippy link=topic=84994.msg1021836#msg1021836 date=1309541778]
[quote author=Scalp'em link=topic=84994.msg1021833#msg1021833 date=1309541300]
[/quote]

;D ;D ;D

On a bright note, youth football is almost here!!!
[/quote]
Yep, Junior PNG White is going to be good this year. Ya'll still in Junior?
[/quote]

yup.....My son's 2nd year in jr.....if things go as planned, he will be a rb or qb.......should be a good year for him

I am an umpire and have been for many (more than I care to mention) years. While I have never ejected a player for throwing equipment, or their behavior, I have given some warnings. As I watch games now, and get onto forums such as this, it is obvious that we, as umpires, are letting our leagues down.

I say this for several reasons

1) I have witnessed WAY to many games of pitchers not getting strikes called (usually because they are not throwing them) they slam their glove on their leg, or kick the ground, or look at the coach or mom and dad and throw their arms out as if to say WTH!!!!!!!

2) I have had conversations with WAY to many coaches or parents that have recently lost the "BIG" game. Not because they got out played (which is exactly why they lost) but because the umpire was unfair, or did not like them, or of course my favorite line "THE WORST OFFICIATED GAME THEY HAVE EVER SEEN"...their kids come off of the field and the first thing you hear their parents say is NOT "its ok, you played hard you will get them next time" instead it is " that umpire was terrible he cost yall the game"

3)Far to many times have I seen the batter look back at the umpire on a called strike as if to say OMG you are an idiot, and then get that reinforced by the coach, or parent in the stand (the same parent who is to afraid to put on the ump gear but can clearly call a better game than you from the stands)\

4) I have seen helmets thrown, gloves thrown, bats kicked, tears, under the breathe cursing, and pitiful looks to the stands for mom and dad to step in and protect them from this horrible monstrosity behind the plate.

So I say most of us have let our leagues down because we have let it come to this. I umpire a lot with a great man at the West End Little League, and he will not hesitate to walk out to the mound and tell the pitcher to buck up and play baseball and let him umpire. He does not embarass the kids, but if they want to pursue their bad behavior it will not be a pleasant expeirence. I can say that the kids on his field will maintain a sportsmanship attitude or suffer the consequences.

So maybe a few kids and coaches need to be tossed, and maybe a few sets of bleachers do need to be cleared to get the point across that baseball is a game, and games have rules, no one is allowed to pick which rules on which nights they will follow, and if you think about it LIFE follows the same path, so maybe in the long run that one ump that stands up and says WE WILL PLAY BY THE RULES may be doing some of these kids (and parents) the greatest service.

I agree with Scalp'em about the rules not being followed some of the time during the regular season, while it is the role of the umpire to enforce the rules, I think more involvement from the coaches is needed to teach the kids the rules.

Just a few examples

-There is NO on deck circle in little league, but how many times do we see not one, but multiple kids out there swinging the bats.

-No jewlery is allowed in little league, but I cant count how many times I have had to stop a game while the batter takes off bracelets or necklaces.

-dangling throat protectors, and chest protectors with the crotch guard are MANDATORY in little league, but how many times do the catchers come out without them?

-No stickers, painting, or drawing is allowed on a batting or catchers helmet that is not produced and/or approved by the manufacturer, and yes this includes writing your childs name on the bat or helmet,

-No coaches are allowed outside of the dugout during game play (except base coaches) yet how many times do we look over and they are haniging out the door or ever worse squatted on the fence?

Now when umpires call this stuff or bring it to the coaches attention then the umpire is just being uptight, or nitpicky, but in actuallity they are enforcing the rules that you as a coach should be aware of.  I think more responsibility needs to be put on the coaches to be more aware of the rules and this in turn would cause MANY less of these situations

[quote name="MoFo" post="1021868" timestamp="1309547811"]
I agree with Scalp'em about the rules not being followed some of the time during the regular season, while it is the role of the umpire to enforce the rules, I think more involvement from the coaches is needed to teach the kids the rules.

Just a few examples

-There is NO on deck circle in little league, but how many times do we see not one, but multiple kids out there swinging the bats.

-No jewlery is allowed in little league, but I cant count how many times I have had to stop a game while the batter takes off bracelets or necklaces.

-dangling throat protectors, and chest protectors with the crotch guard are MANDATORY in little league, but how many times do the catchers come out without them?

-No stickers, painting, or drawing is allowed on a batting or catchers helmet that is not produced and/or approved by the manufacturer, and yes this includes writing your childs name on the bat or helmet,

-No coaches are allowed outside of the dugout during game play (except base coaches) yet how many times do we look over and they are haniging out the door or ever worse squatted on the fence?

Now when umpires call this stuff or bring it to the coaches attention then the umpire is just being uptight, or nitpicky, but in actuallity they are enforcing the rules that you as a coach should be aware of.  I think more responsibility needs to be put on the coaches to be more aware of the rules and this in turn would cause MANY less of these situations

[/quote]coaches knowing the rules??...that's blaspheme!! :D

MoFo, the KING of WISDOM ;D I need a green book, can you hook a family member up? ;D Seriously, I know you can go online and buy one, but our league didn't even provide them this year to us coaches. I'm not the all-star coach, but I would curious on some of the rules. Also, is there seperate rules for all-stars from regular league play in the book besides the normal local regular season rules?

Reading the post on here has been very entertaining to say the least. You can definitely tell who the umps are, the coaches and the parents by their post. Everyone is pointing the finger, but no one wants to take the blame. It seems to me that blame could be spread out pretty evenly. I've seen bad coaches, bad parents and bad umps (yea, I know that's hard for the umps to believe.....)

With that said, the majority of the coaches, parents and umps are good.....but everyone is going to have to admit some blame for the issues or it will never be fixed.

I would caution the posters that think LL will be around if the bad calls, bad coaching and improperly run leagues continue. Look at the number of teams 5 years ago versus today. My son will be playing select next year because of the issues. If he plays LL, it will be second to his select team.

my 2 cents

[quote name="Scalp'em" post="1021891" timestamp="1309551079"]
MoFo, the KING of WISDOM ;D I need a green book, can you hook a family member up? ;D Seriously, I know you can go online and buy one, but our league didn't even provide them this year to us coaches. I'm not the all-star coach, but I would curious on some of the rules. Also, is there seperate rules for all-stars from regular league play in the book besides the normal local regular season rules?
[/quote]there are additional rules for the tournament in the green book. they are the last pages of the book marked by pages t-1 thru the last t-number. these supercede any similar rules in the front of the book.

[quote name="thetragichippy" post="1021892" timestamp="1309551217"]
Reading the post on here has been very entertaining to say the least. You can definitely tell who the umps are, the coaches and the parents by their post. Everyone is pointing the finger, but no one wants to take the blame. It seems to me that blame could be spread out pretty evenly. I've seen bad coaches, bad parents and bad umps (yea, I know that's hard for the umps to believe.....)

With that said, the majority of the coaches, parents and umps are good.....but everyone is going to have to admit some blame for the issues or it will never be fixed.

I would caution the posters that think LL will be around if the bad calls, bad coaching and improperly run leagues continue. Look at the number of teams 5 years ago versus today. My son will be playing select next year because of the issues. If he plays LL, it will be second to his select team.

my 2 cents

[/quote]

I agree with you 100% that the blame should be equally shared.  This thread just didn't start out that way and I, for one, don't care to see any [i][b]one[/b][/i] person blamed completely.

As for LL versus Select, you're going to get the same bad calls, bad coaching and bad parents at both.  It's in all youth sports, period! My suggestion is to play both.  Select is weekend tournament ball and has its place but your local LL will be where you son/daughter meets the friends he/she will head off to HS with (after baseball).  The best players/teams around play both. They use Select to preapre themselves for LL All Stars.  Just look at the most recent 12 yo All Star teams to make big waves at State, BC (GTB) & Jasper (Scrappers).  These kids enjoyed the best of both worlds and my son played against both teams at Ford park and in LL All Stars.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder