WWE Over The Limit Results/Thoughts

I'll try and do this for every PPV that WWE has, I order each of them.... Every once in a while if I feel like slumming I'll purchase the IMPACT Wrestling PPV's, but very rarely....

Let's get this started.....

[b]Match #1 - R-Truth def. Rey Mysterio, Jr.[/b]
I honestly thought that even though the match itself was forgettable, they did a wonderful job of advancing the heel turn of R-Truth.  The "new" R-Truth at first seemed a little risky, considering how many fans loved him before he went crazy on John Morrison.  This rivalry was really pushed into the PPV with little build up, and I'm interested to see if and how it continues.  This review is being written on a Tuesday, so RAW was last night and by putting the pair back in the ring together, we could get a lengthy feud.  I personally feel that R-Truth is not ready to be a main-event caliber star, but WWE seems to be interested in pushing him to the forefront.

[b]Match #2 - Intercontinental Champion Wade Barrett def. Ezekiel Jackson[/b]
When the Nexus originally entered WWE by destroying Cena and CM Punk on RAW, they were built up as a force that could not be stopped.  It grew old quickly in my eyes because it was the same old song every week.  Main event would come, and halfway through, out comes Nexus to bust it up.  At some point these guys have to finish a match clean, right?  Now you have Slater and Gabriel back with Barrett in The Corre, and it's the same thing.  Ezekiel Jackson might just be the most under-utilized guy on the WWE roster, and once again you have him squashed on a PPV by the entire group.  I personally am tired of watching this type of match every time Barrett is involved.  Barrett could be a great asset, don't make him a joke by having him retain the Intercontinental Championship based on a DQ.  This feud is far from over, I assume it will conclude with a No DQ match at perhaps Summerslam.  Jackson will eventually take the belt off of Barrett, but we'll have to sit through two or three more interference filled matches.

[b]Match #3 - Sin Cara def. Chavo Guerrero[/b]
This was the first of a few matches I could have gone without on the card.  I can't even take Sin Cara serious because of this whole gimmick.  The costume, the trampoline entrance and most importantly the stupid mood lighting during the match.  When will the NOT use the lighting? When he is the underdog? Do they expect us to take it seriously if he challenges let's say Kofi Kingston for the United States Championship, and they use that? What a joke.  And why is Chavo on the card? Did WWE really need to rush some scrub on the card when they could have built up a feud between Sin Cara and maybe Daniel Bryan?  Sin Cara/Bryan would at least be a display of technical wrestling that most of us would enjoy watching.  If I never see Chavo on TV again it would be too soon.

[b]Match #4 - Unified Tag Team Champions Big Show and Kane def. Nexus (CM Punk and Mason Ryan)[/b]
Considering that CM Punk may not be a part of the WWE in a few months, I'm not surprised that the champions retained.  However, WWE has a golden opportunity to build up Mason Ryan.  This guy has the look of a big time player in the WWE, although his skill set needs improving.  I'm even more curious as to what will happen next within Nexus considering Punk and Ryan could not win the belts from the champions, but McGillicutty and Otunga were able to on RAW.  The match at Over The Limit was a solid one considering you had three big guys and Punk, who is a great wrestler and perhaps one of the best heels of our era.  Punk is personally my favorite heel and I hope that he and Vince can work out a deal to keep him in the WWE.

[b]Match #5 - Divas Champion Brie Bella def. Kelly Kelly[/b]
I, like so many others, were waiting throughout the entire match for Kharma to interfere.  Because she didn't, no one really can tell you anything about this match other than the Bellas pulled off Twin Magic and Nikki Bella ended up getting the pin on Kelly Kelly.  In a somewhat related note, is there anyone hotter than Kelly Kelly?

[b]Match #6 - World Heavyweight Champion Randy Orton def. Christian[/b]
Although as a whole I do not enjoy Smackdown more than RAW, this feud is my favorite currently.  Orton and Christian are both very interesting characters who can tell a story in the ring.  Both are guys who you feel like you can relate to and connect with on a personal level as a fan.  You have Christian who spent his whole career busting his tail to win a title in the WWE only to have it taken away less than a week later.  Then you have Orton, who seemed to be dubbed as the Golden Child upon entering the WWE.  Vince McMahon was wrong all of those years saying Christian wasn't ready for the main event scene.  I can't imagine Christian not being in the title picture.  This match was the best of the night.  Everyone was expecting a heel turn from Christian if he lost, and it was teased when he shoved Orton after the match.  What happens next? We'll find out Friday.  I hope we see a third match between the two at Capitol Punishment.

[b]Match #7 - Jerry Lawler def. Michael Cole[/b]
I mentioned that I never wanted to see Chavo Guerrero in the ring again, and although I love Cole/Lawler on commentary, PLEASE keep them out of the ring with each other!  It's not even believable that a guy like Cole could step in the ring against Lawler (at any age) and compete with him.  This whole rivalry has lasted way too long.  This should have been over with after Wrestlemania.  Cole apologized on RAW and asked if Lawler would move past it.  Lawler agreed, and it seemed like they were just trying to brush it all under the rug and force us to forget the last two matches they had on PPV as if they never happened. 

[b]Match #8 - WWE Champion John Cena def. The Miz w/Alex Riley[/b]
Typical John Cena "I Quit" match.  I knew going in that Miz and Riley would team up against Cena, beat the living crap out of him for 15 minutes and then have Cena come back miraculously and win the match.  I don't even know where to begin.  I'll just say that we all knew Cena would win.  We all knew that The Miz would tap out and quit.  We can now look forward to the next opponent to face Cena, who will beat on him for an entire month, only to have Cena beat him at the PPV.  It's kind of like the directions on a shampoo bottle.  Lather, Rinse, Repeat.  Lather, Rinse, Repeat.  I like Cena, but i definitely understand where all the Cena hatred comes from.

Overall, Over The Limit was a decent PPV with a couple of interesting matches and one GREAT match between Orton and Christian.  I hope that continues, otherwise WWE has a lot to do before they put on Capitol Punishment in June. 

Hope you enjoyed the review, let me know your thoughts!

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder