Brenham vs Willis- Predictions?

[quote name="PhatMack19" post="1011447" timestamp="1305559702"]
Do you start Schlottman in Game 1 or gamble again and throw off?
[/quote]

Knowing coach Long, I would guess Schlottmann would start game 2, but after Stegent's no-hitter in game 3 against PNG, who knows...  You could see Schlottmann Thursday and Stegent Friday....  What a duo!

Defense has been real consistent all year. Seen most games, but not all. Jacobs shows 7 errors, Roberts 6 errors, and more at other postions, even in the outfield. By and large the Cubs are known for their defense. You must also credit that some infield grounders that Jacobs and especially Roberts get to are not playable for most others, but because they get to it, they can be charged with errors.
  According to your competitors, they come in knowing you have a solid defense,  believe me, more importantly up the middle and your firstbaseman. But the true achilles heel for the Brenham boys is now and always has been BASE RUNNING. The theory that I have subscribed to explained by the Bandito guru's is they play "little league" and are 4 years behind select ball players on lead offs, reading pitchers, and getting jumps. After watching enough games I believe they are correct. Those small things will beat you in big games against good teams. I witnessed a defense lapse for the first time this year, but baserunning has been constantly shaky. Constatntly see hesitation and unsuredness, and they have been known to run themselves out of innings. I'll never forget listening to games on the radio where a runner at first breaks on the first movement (a one way go) and the lefty tosses back to first and the runner is already closing in on second and the announcer says it was a pick off that failed. No, that was a designed play to draw the throw, but selectplayers learn that at 10. Those are stolen bases, even if the firstbaseman throws it away. Base running almost cost the Cubs every game this weekend, not just one bad defensive inning.

[quote name="dirtball" post="1011692" timestamp="1305603273"]
  Defense has been real consistent all year. Seen most games, but not all. Jacobs shows 7 errors, Roberts 6 errors, and more at other postions, even in the outfield. By and large the Cubs are known for their defense. You must also credit that some infield grounders that Jacobs and especially Roberts get to are not playable for most others, but because they get to it, they can be charged with errors.
  According to your competitors, they come in knowing you have a solid defense,  believe me, more importantly up the middle and your firstbaseman. But the true achilles heel for the Brenham boys is now and always has been BASE RUNNING. The theory that I have subscribed to explained by the Bandito guru's is they play "little league" and are 4 years behind select ball players on lead offs, reading pitchers, and getting jumps. After watching enough games I believe they are correct. Those small things will beat you in big games against good teams. I witnessed a defense lapse for the first time this year, but baserunning has been constantly shaky. Constatntly see hesitation and unsuredness, and they have been known to run themselves out of innings. I'll never forget listening to games on the radio where a runner at first breaks on the first movement (a one way go) and the lefty tosses back to first and the runner is already closing in on second and the announcer says it was a pick off that failed. No, that was a designed play to draw the throw, but selectplayers learn that at 10. Those are stolen bases, even if the firstbaseman throws it away. Base running almost cost the Cubs every game this weekend, not just one bad defensive inning.
[/quote]

Sorry - Ray  deLeon is all bluster on this one. My kid played LL and he is an excellent baserunner, as are most of our kids who played LL. One of the kids who has gotten picked off the most on our team has played the most Select ball, no LL for years. And if anyone thinks the Brenham kids with their baseball savvy can not figure out how to run the bases by starting with leadoffs at 13 years old, you are not using the noggin! Next Theory. Geez do not fall for the Deleon only select players from age 6 can be great complete players bunk! Besides - the Banditos want your money!!

Banditos have numerous teams, and yes they are for profit. Nothing wrong with that. They also have some of the best talent in the area, hands down.( Many Brenham boys started playing with them two years ago and are better for it).
  Didn't mean to hit a nerve, but it is what it is. Baserunning starts in LL about puberty, and select players who have professional instruction on basepaths have a distinct advantage. Gladiators, Sundevils, etc all spend hours on technique in which Dad's cannot reproduce or better yet, LL rules don't allow for. I believe your son is a great baserunner and I also believe that there are terrible baserunners in select, but comparing yours to a select player on your team is not a basis for an overall opinion.
  Advanced base skills CANNOT be taught in LL. Speed is inherently derived and and you can't fix that, but I cannot feel that the above mentioned programs have a distinct advantage for high school players. but I respect your decision but I stand by the opinion. 

[quote name="dirtball" post="1012942" timestamp="1305924097"]
  Banditos have numerous teams, and yes they are for profit. Nothing wrong with that. They also have some of the best talent in the area, hands down.( Many Brenham boys started playing with them two years ago and are better for it).
  Didn't mean to hit a nerve, but it is what it is. Baserunning starts in LL about puberty, and select players who have professional instruction on basepaths have a distinct advantage. Gladiators, Sundevils, etc all spend hours on technique in which Dad's cannot reproduce or better yet, LL rules don't allow for. I believe your son is a great baserunner and I also believe that there are terrible baserunners in select, but comparing yours to a select player on your team is not a basis for an overall opinion.
  Advanced base skills CANNOT be taught in LL. Speed is inherently derived and and you can't fix that, but I cannot feel that the above mentioned programs have a distinct advantage for high school players. but I respect your decision but I stand by the opinion.   
[/quote]

No - but they can be taught starting when you do start open bases at 13! And that forum can be select ball or Pony ball. Some of us dad's resumes are the same as the select coaches, we just chose a different career path! Yes you did touch a nerve in FW, we had a group try to kill LL for a select league, while they were on the LL board. Sorry I might have over reacted!!

[quote name="fwstangs" post="1012898" timestamp="1305918373"]
[quote author=dirtball link=topic=84333.msg1011692#msg1011692 date=1305603273]
[/quote]

Sorry - Ray  deLeon is all bluster on this one. My kid played LL and he is an excellent baserunner, as are most of our kids who played LL. One of the kids who has gotten picked off the most on our team has played the most Select ball, no LL for years. And if anyone thinks the Brenham kids with their baseball savvy can not figure out how to run the bases by starting with leadoffs at 13 years old, you are not using the noggin! Next Theory. Geez do not fall for the Deleon only select players from age 6 can be great complete players bunk! Besides - the Banditos want your money!!
[/quote]

Ray DeLeon has has more baseball knowledge in the dirt if his fingernails than 99.9% of the goof balls posting on this board.

Not to mention his brother Robert, All American Longhorn, and the rest of his staff. His new facility is second to none.
    You will find his players in major collegiate programs, not to mention those in MLB. Ray delivers a product, the recruiters and scouts all frequent his location for obvious reasons.
    My past experience is I have NEVER seen a talented kid without financial means not be in uniform.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder