Brookeland vs. West Sabine Game Thread/WS Wins/Comments

I'm sorry you feel that way; however, the officiating had nothing to do with the outcome of the game. When players, fans and coaches allow the officiating in any sport to be used as an excuse for a loss, then I believe they have totally missed the bigger picture in dealing with athletics. Everyone should understand that for every mistake that the officials make, the participants in the contest probably made three times that many.

Ideally, we would like every call to be made correctly every time...that is never goning to happen as long as there is a human element tied to officiating contests. That, to me, is what makes the games so incredibly entertaining and true-to-life. Remember, we all get some wrong in everything we do on a day-to-day basis.

Best wishes to all in the district.

There will ALWAYS be a human element to the game, and last time I looked the umpires were just as human as you or I. There have been times where I have STRONGLY disagreed with officiating (take the Groveton/West Sabine football game for instance), the umpires and referees will miss a few calls here and there and, sadly, sometimes they affect the outcome of the game (again, look at said football game for instance). This is all part of the game. To the Brookeland fans who feel they were cheated Friday night, I got a few stats for you: 5 errors that led to 8 runs for West Sabine and 10 men left on base in just 5 innings. West Sabine had 4 errors, 3 hit by pitch, and 4 walks, yet you couldn't capitalize on any of their mistakes as they did on yours(i.e. a wild pick-off throw up the 3rd base line and an unsucessful rundown attempt that accounted for 4 West Sabine runs). The effort your kids displayed was admirable, and I must admit if I had someone playing and the calls went against my team I would be chirping loudly in the ump's ear. Having been an umpire for one summer gave me the proper perspective: umpiring is a thankless job and you only get noticed when you make a mistake. Do your job, and you go unnoticed.......

Ive played in sports my entire life and what i get is that they need an accountability system for all sports baseball, basketball, and football. That is the only way these refs and umps will call it like they see it everygame. TRUST ME..a bad ump like a bad bad ump who says "my bad " after like 5 straight bad calls DOES MAKE A DIFFERENCE both mentally and on the scoreboard to the team recieving it. Now when the ganme is called bad but on both sides its okay. But there is defintely that "lil" favor towards some teams, and thats just sports and life

My final thoughts on this matter:

flash...the groveton game did not get decided by the officials...nor did they have any outcome on the game. Had the Tigers' defense stopped anyone that particular evening, the game could have been won by three to four touchdowns. I believe the final was 41-38. Everyone notices the officials in a tight contest more than they do in a blow out...that's part of the drama.

It's all in the perspective...if you go into a game looking for an excuse for losing, you can always find one. If you go into a game saying officials are going to blow several calls today and the team has to overcome all obstacles, then you are prepared to win or lose with grace and dignity--no blame game.

This topic is nothing more than a microcosm of what is happening in society today...people increasingly want to point their finger somewhere else when things don't go in their favor. I, for one, will not be party to such, and I only wish more parents, coaches and players would adhere to the same philosophy so that our kids would grow up understanding that life is about personal responsibilities. Again, sports is a great avenue for playing out life's lessons on the court or field. Let's all do our part to help make a difference by reclaiming the idea of personal responsibility and quit making excuses when something wrinkles our covers.

I'm through...thanks to this forum for allowing me to express my opinion. Again, best wishes to all in the district.

I agree wholeheartedly with you, soonerbeintexas. Was just venting a little bit. Was tough to see the guys play SO hard and have one call seemingly determine their fate. I wasn't the only one hot that night in Tiger Stadium, but the passage of time has cooled my thoughts on the officiating that night. Kept the stats for the game and Groveton ran the ball at will seemingly, but even so West Sabine was still right there at the end. The Tigers should have played tighter D and won the game rather than leaving it up to the officials to decide. One call doesn't win or lose a game, it's how the team plays before and after the call that decides it. It was a learning experience for all the young men on the sidelines that night, and it spurred a playoff-caliber season. 

look im talking baseball ok not football im not a fan of either team i was in town an came to the game cause i saw lights. u can say what u want i didnt say the calls won the game for pineland im just saying it was very one sided both teams or either young or need new coaches both was very sloppy but the calls was one sided if i was coach both teams would still be running jmo

[quote name="bulldogs1990" post="998910" timestamp="1303094437"]
look im talking baseball ok not football im not a fan of either team i was in town an came to the game cause i saw lights. u can say what u want i didnt say the calls won the game for pineland im just saying it was very one sided both teams or either young or need new coaches both was very sloppy but the calls was one sided if i was coach both teams would still be running jmo
[/quote]

Bulldogs...bad coaching...bad umps...everything I said sailed right over your head. Oh well, I tried.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder