***BREAKING NEWS.....Dan Hooks Retiring***

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="adminbaberuth" post="987231" timestamp="1300854577"]
If he wants it, am I  wrong to think Coach Thompson just steps into the HC role ? It's not like he hasn't earned it.
[/quote]

No, in fact that is the prevailing hope...I know it is mine as well.  Not only has he proven himself worthy, but I also think he is the best option to see WO-S football avoid going the way of WO-S baseball after Ronnie Anderson left.

[quote name="WOSgrad" post="987237" timestamp="1300855747"]
[quote author=adminbaberuth link=topic=81893.msg987231#msg987231 date=1300854577]
If he wants it, am I  wrong to think Coach Thompson just steps into the HC role ? It's not like he hasn't earned it.
[/quote]

No, in fact that is the prevailing hope...I know it is mine as well.  Not only has he proven himself worthy, but I also think he is the best option to see WO-S football avoid going the way of WO-S baseball after Ronnie Anderson left.
[/quote]

Ditto.

HOPE?...this should be a done deal.If not coach T then coach Toby for sure.I'm sure coach Hooks has given the school his opinion as well.If the school doesn't replace from within I'll have to rethink my support of this school.They can't be that dumb.Opps,can I say that.

If Coach Thompson wants the job and I have heard he does, then it is a no brainer, he gets the job.  The program will keep running the exact same way it has the past 20 years or so.  No need for wholesale changes.  Coach T has earned the right to be the AD/Head Coach over everyone else, so lets give him the respect he deserves and hire him as the next Head Coach/AD at West Orange-Stark.  End of Story.

[quote name="WOSgrad" post="987863" timestamp="1301012016"]
One tidbit that Van Wade at the Orange Leader laid out....since Coach Hooks started coaching in 1981, the other schools that the Leader covers (Bridge City, Deweyville, LC-M, Orangefield and Vidor) have [b]changed coaches 41 TIMES.[/b]
[/quote]darn shame. And i know for a fact that 2 of those 5 has had the talent to win. (LC-M/Vidor)

[quote name="WOSgrad" post="987863" timestamp="1301012016"]
One tidbit that Van Wade at the Orange Leader laid out....since Coach Hooks started coaching in 1981, the other schools that the Leader covers (Bridge City, Deweyville, LC-M, Orangefield and Vidor) have changed coaches 41 TIMES.
[/quote]

Hence thier problems winning consistently.  Most of the teams that continue to win year over year have had thier coaches more than 5 years.

[quote name="bigdog" post="988006" timestamp="1301030872"]
[quote author=WOSgrad link=topic=81893.msg987863#msg987863 date=1301012016]
One tidbit that Van Wade at the Orange Leader laid out....since Coach Hooks started coaching in 1981, the other schools that the Leader covers (Bridge City, Deweyville, LC-M, Orangefield and Vidor) have changed coaches 41 TIMES.
[/quote]

Hence thier problems winning consistently.  Most of the teams that continue to win year over year have had thier coaches more than 5 years.
[/quote]

I could not agree more, bigdog.  That is why I believe that the method to continue the winning ways at West Orange-Stark is to promote Cornel Thompson to head coach.

[quote name="Scooter!" post="987865" timestamp="1301012746"]
One tidbit that Van Wade at the Orange Leader laid out....since Coach Hooks started coaching in 1981, the other schools that the Leader covers (Bridge City, Deweyville, LC-M, Orangefield and Vidor) have [b]changed coaches 41 TIMES.[/b]
[/quote]darn shame. And i know for a fact that 2 of those 5 has had the talent to win. (LC-M/Vidor)
[/quote]

You know why? POLITICS. The "little Jimmy" parents wont shut their mouths long enough to let someone set a winning tradition. i do know this, Coach Randy Crouch(LCM) is not a "Little Jimmy' coach. He wont put up with that garbage. Hense the reason why LCM has gotten better and better. Same with Jeff at Vidor.

[quote name="kicker" post="988823" timestamp="1301177112"]
[quote author=Scooter! link=topic=81893.msg987865#msg987865 date=1301012746]
[/quote]

You know why? POLITICS. The "little Jimmy" parents wont shut their mouths long enough to let someone set a winning tradition. i do know this, Coach Randy Crouch(LCM) is not a "Little Jimmy' coach. He wont put up with that garbage. Hense the reason why LCM has gotten better and better. Same with Jeff at Vidor.
[/quote]truth!

A legendary era is over! I do wish whoever has to fill these monstrous shoes, the best of luck.. They'll need it  ;). I will say, WOS will be very powerful again this next upcoming year, however I don't see them as a state championship type of team anymore..

[quote name="TtW" post="989485" timestamp="1301358889"]
A legendary era is over! I do wish whoever has to fill these monstrous shoes, the best of luck.. They'll need it  ;). I will say, WOS will be very powerful again this next upcoming year, however I don't see them as a state championship type of team anymore..
[/quote]

Dan Hooks would be the first to tell anyone that WO-S was not built by him along.He has great coaches under him that deserve much of the credit also.As long as they promote from within and don't bring in someone from the outside that would want to change things WO-S will be fine.

I'd like to ask a question. West-Orange, without question, will run the table in District for years to come. But for the last few years we have been at least 1 and done in the playoffs. Now I agree that we have a legendary coaching staff, but you don't think a little change needs to be made? Or are we happy with just local bragging rights and making short runs in the playoffs?

Of course Dan Hooks wouldn't say that or take credit, due to the fact he's such a legendary coach and great guy, that would make him sound cocky ( OH NO! ). But WOS hasn't been top notch or a scary team since they went 10-1 a few years ago..

Sorry GUHNO I think I sent that to you in a personal message. Haha sorry I'm new here!

[quote name="VNUPE" post="989655" timestamp="1301407932"]
I'd like to ask a question. West-Orange, without question, will run the table in District for years to come. But for the last few years we have been at least 1 and done in the playoffs. Now I agree that we have a legendary coaching staff, but you don't think a little change needs to be made? Or are we happy with just local bragging rights and making short runs in the playoffs?
[/quote]

What changes would you recommend?

Wow......great question! Before I answer that, let me be clear.......I AM NOT A COACH! I would start with  new defensive personnel.  Offensive Linemen and running backs are much bigger than they use to be (Brookshire Royal for example). Quarterbacks are more skilled and versitile. That's just my opinion, which, like all opinions on this post, mean nothing.

[quote name="VNUPE" post="989768" timestamp="1301422411"]
Wow......great question! Before I answer that, let me be clear.......I AM NOT A COACH! I would start with  new defensive personnel.  Offensive Linemen and running backs are much bigger than they use to be (Brookshire Royal for example). Quarterbacks are more skilled and versitile. That's just my opinion, which, like all opinions on this post, mean nothing.
[/quote]

I'm not sure of the change that you mean by new defensive personnel.  Yes, it is true that in many areas offensive linemen and skill players are bigger than they used to be.  Unfortunately, that trend of growth has not extended to the youth of Orange, West Orange and Pinehurst.  WO-S for the last several years has usually been the smaller team on the field, both amongst numbers on the field as well the measurements of those on the field.  

What the current staff has been able to do is through strength training being able to keep up with larger teams.  Others that were brought in to replace Thompson in that capacity when he was at Palestine and Huntsville were unable to maintain those standards (yes, I am talking about Joe Foster) and the difference on defense was noticeable.  Many (including I) fear that will be the case if those from the outside are brought in this time around.

THAT is why I don't believe that change from the outside should be made.  But like you, mine is but an opinion.  The only one that counts, at this point, is James Colbert.  I'll certainly support whoever is named coach because I am certainly not going to wish bad luck upon my alma mater simply because my choice for coach did not coincide with Mr Colbert's choice.  But I can assure that there is a large number that will feel a certain disconnect if Cornel Thompson is not that choice and some of those folks are among the voting public of the WOCCISD.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder