The End of High School Sports

Hell I guess I am lost....Because I have not got a clue what everybody is talking about...A highschool baseball coach is probably the only kinda of coach I have not been upset with...Unless he was on the football field :D....I would not want to be in any highschool coaches shoes ...Baseball , Football, etc..They have a damn tuff job...I know because I bitch about everything .......And my son is a every day player on the diamond and the grid iron...

For Augustus, What did I do strike a nerve. You either must be a coach or your kid didn't make a select team. I never once said there wasn't some  "Darn Fine Baseball Coaches" I said most of them really don't know the game cause they were hired to coach Football "First" and that is due to the fact the smaller schools can't afford both. So get your panties out of a wad. We were not talking about what they taught in a classroom (that is part of their job), we were talking about baseball, so get over it "Coach". Trust me I will not let my son play on a daddyball team, he either can earn the spot and play, work harder and take the spot or go to a different team and play, but I will not put up with Daddyball. [b]Tell me what the difference in Daddyball and the Political butt kissing that goes on up at the school so their kids get a chance to[/b] [b]play? You must be one of those also[/b].

For one I do not coach a select team, my son plays on one, Second we don't borrow the fields, we pay to play on them, so who ever is taking care of them are getting paid to do it, nothing is free "Coach", Third if there is one thing I know it is the game of baseball and I know if the coach is good or not, So I guess I died and made myself the "Super Duper 4A and below Baseball Coach Master Evaluator PHD" Just had to add the PHD part look better don't ya think.

Again how many of those coach really work with their players on improving their game or are 90% of the players coach by a "Select Coach"  and the "Darn Fine Baseball Coaches" are just using them for the High School Season. I bet if you had a few of those Select players playing on your team and you rode those guys to the playoff or beyond you would still have the same comments?

Prolly not the end of HS Sports but bet there'll be a stop to multi-million dollar stadiums and giant instant replay scoreboards.Oh yeah get ready ticket prices will be going up w/concessions to a event near you along w/more saturday day games(lower the elect.bill) ;)

I dont think I ever put down a kid for playing "Daddy Ball". Believe me when I say I even think "Daddy Ball" has some advantages, especially when it comes to playing at the next level. I also understand That "Daddy's" only want the best for little Johnny. No I am not a coach, nor do I have a son. So I dont have a dog in the fight! It comes from a "bystander" who has seen both sides. It comes from a bystander who has seen what $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ and the desire for "FAME" can do. Everyone has already seen what it has done to basketball. I dont even know why kids play HS basketball anymore. Sometimes its more than just about "me", ya know. Sorry I ruffled so many feathers. geeeesh. Sadly, I can actually see a day where the topic of this thread may be true. :(

[quote name="Augustus Mcray" post="980442" timestamp="1299769983"]
For IDK

Select Ball, Summer Ball, Year Round Ball, Super Select, Elite- Call it what you want, its still "Daddy Ball". There are some darn fine baseball coaches, even at the 1A and 2A levels in this state and they are not all hired as "Football" coaches. I dont know where that misconception comes from. Ever thought there just might be some "baseball" guys out there that happen to coach "football". Believe me, they exist. Too often, coaches are tagged with a "label" they do not deserve. What the average person fails to see is that these coaches, even before they have stepped on a field for a Tuesday afternoon baseball game, have already given 6 lessons over JFK and the Cold War to over 150 students. Just because that man is not asking the parents to pay 500-1000 $ per kid (or more in some cases) to play for him, does not mean he does not know the game. And most have played baseball beyond their HS years as well! You my friend are disillusioned. And by the way I loved your comment about "The coaches you see are not really that good". Really? Well who died and made you the super duper 4A and below baseball coach master evaluator. Do you even know any of these coaches or does your "select" team just borrow the fields they take care of all year during the summer. Yea, thats what I thought. Keep yellin Daddy! he he
[/quote]Excellent post

I KNOW most kids choose to play select if they are truly serious about playing at the next level. I know my kids do. Why else would we choose to make a monetary investment, time investment and hear our kid get griped at for not making adjustments or doing what they're told WHEN they're told to do it???? I don't remember who said it but they made the comment that on these select teams...they are just that...select. The coaches can and WILL let a kid go if he doesn't bust his butt like all the other players. High school sports has gotten too soft!! More importantly, high school coaches aren't interested in assisting their athletes get scholarships. I've heard time and time again that if they "help" one kid attempt to get a scholarship well then they have to help them all. Umm...isn't that what they're there for??? If a high school program were really there to help their students/athletes continue on at the next level then they would make a vested interest in their towns athletes and start programs in the middle schools to culturize their future prospects. I know some very upstanding, honest and sincere select coaches that personally vested in my childs future. If they can tell people that they have a player from their organization signed to wherever that helps their organization. I would totally think a high school coach would help promote school pride and help athletes continue on but I have yet to see one make such an effort!!! I miss old school coaching like crazy!! BRING IT BACK coaches...there are parents out there that don't mind when a kid gets griped at for not doing what they're told! Unfortunately, the softness I've seen from coaches will only produce a bunch of pansies and wusses!!!! That's our future too!!!! If the coaches won't promote their athletes which in turn promotes school pride...then so be it...The End of High School Sports!!!!

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    geho
    Newest Member
    geho