H-F vs. BC/ BC wins

tokenmom

[quote name="bleed orange" post="951717" timestamp="1295542015"]
One more thing, either a kid loves a sport or they don't. If a kid loves multiple sports then that kid will play multiple sports. No coach or parent can change that. I don't know if I would say kids have gotten lazy, I would say their interest has changed. Are kids lazy? You bet but my parents said I was lazy too. LOL!!!!![b]I don't believe anyone in Orangefield that has started a select team has told a kid to only play that sport.[/b] I also think the parents who started select teams in Orangefield did it because they wanted the program to flourish as a whole. I mean look at softball, sure parents do it because they have a kid playing but all in all they are doing it for the program plain and simple. JMO!!!! ;D ;D These parents are not getting paid that is the difference.
[/quote]

You'd be incorrect.

[quote name="bleed orange" post="951717" timestamp="1295542015"]
One more thing, either a kid loves a sport or they don't. If a kid loves multiple sports then that kid will play multiple sports. No coach or parent can change that. I don't know if I would say kids have gotten lazy, I would say their interest has changed. Are kids lazy? You bet but my parents said I was lazy too. LOL!!!!!I don't believe anyone in Orangefield that has started a select team has told a kid to only play that sport. I also think the parents who started select teams in Orangefield did it because they wanted the program to flourish as a whole. I mean look at softball, sure parents do it because they have a kid playing but all in all they are doing it for the program plain and simple. JMO!!!! ;D ;D These parents are not getting paid that is the difference.
[/quote]And most of the select sports run into other sports starting up during the oncoming season. Select sports is so competitive that you have many kids working with trainers during and after the season

Guest bleed orange
[quote name="Bobcat05" post="951719" timestamp="1295542075"]
[quote author=bleed orange link=topic=78975.msg951717#msg951717 date=1295542015]
One more thing, either a kid loves a sport or they don't. If a kid loves multiple sports then that kid will play multiple sports. No coach or parent can change that. I don't know if I would say kids have gotten lazy, I would say their interest has changed. Are kids lazy? You bet but my parents said I was lazy too. LOL!!!!![b]I don't believe anyone in Orangefield that has started a select team has told a kid to only play that sport.[/b] I also think the parents who started select teams in Orangefield did it because they wanted the program to flourish as a whole. I mean look at softball, sure parents do it because they have a kid playing but all in all they are doing it for the program plain and simple. JMO!!!! ;D ;D These parents are not getting paid that is the difference.
[/quote]

You'd be incorrect.
[/quote]

I still don't believe that. ;D ;D

I am all for select teams! Aimee played softball for years  >:(, that's not the problem.  The problem is parents trying to get their kids and others to focus on just one sport and not play anything else in HOPES they get a scholarship.  Some kids don't like sports that they are only average at and instead of getting better and really don't like them when they used to be the best and are only average now, they just quit because that takes no effort.

Bleed this is for you - ::) ;D

Guest bleed orange
Hey Hawk, seems like I read a post of yours that said, " I would rather have 4-5 girls scoring 8 ppg then one scoring 30" now I can't find it. Well, anyway just wanted to say I totally agree with you but I would not mind having a Brittany Scott on my team. LOL!!!!!! ;D ;D ;D

[quote name="Bobcat05" post="951686" timestamp="1295538632"]
In volleyball you do not run, in softball you only run if you get a hit.  Basketball you run the whole time. THAT'S why the numbers are lower in basketball because there are some lazy kids, then throw on top of that there are girl who want to "focus" on one sport.

No girl at Orangefield should play just one sport, I hate to be the voice of reason, but there aren't any volleyball players currently playing that were even close to as good as Kirby Myers and she didn't even play vball in college!  No basketball players as good as KK Little and they both played JUCO.  So please before you [s]lie [/s] tell kids that if they "focus" on one sport they will play at Texas, Uconn, Tennesse, or even Lamar read a book, take a class, WATCH a match/game and then get a clue.

There are many angry parents who wasted a lot of time and money on select volleyball in this area because of some lies told told to them.
[/quote]

I agree.... 

When I went to college I was on a Basketball/Track scholarship.  You have to be pretty darn good to get a full scholarship in one sport.  The biggest problem I see in southeast texas is when I drive around and the fields are empty, basketball courts are empty or front yards are empty.  When I was growing up we played nieghborhood baseball, basketball, football, kickball...etc.. and we found the FUN in it.  We played because we wanted to and the joy of the game carried over into athletics.  this, of course, is just one opinion :)

Guest bleed orange
[quote name="skyhcky" post="951789" timestamp="1295549195"]
[quote author=Bobcat05 link=topic=78975.msg951686#msg951686 date=1295538632]
In volleyball you do not run, in softball you only run if you get a hit.  Basketball you run the whole time. THAT'S why the numbers are lower in basketball because there are some lazy kids, then throw on top of that there are girl who want to "focus" on one sport.

No girl at Orangefield should play just one sport, I hate to be the voice of reason, but there aren't any volleyball players currently playing that were even close to as good as Kirby Myers and she didn't even play vball in college!  No basketball players as good as KK Little and they both played JUCO.  So please before you [s]lie [/s] tell kids that if they "focus" on one sport they will play at Texas, Uconn, Tennesse, or even Lamar read a book, take a class, WATCH a match/game and then get a clue.

There are many angry parents who wasted a lot of time and money on select volleyball in this area because of some lies told told to them.
[/quote]

I agree.... 

When I went to college I was on a Basketball/Track scholarship.  You have to be pretty darn good to get a full scholarship in one sport.  The biggest problem I see in southeast texas is when I drive around and the fields are empty, basketball courts are empty or front yards are empty.  When I was growing up we played nieghborhood baseball, basketball, football, kickball...etc.. and we found the FUN in it.  We played because we wanted to and the joy of the game carried over into athletics.   this, of course, is just one opinion :)
[/quote]

It was the same in my era also. We always had neighborhood games in all sports. I guess that is why I played 4 sports in high school. I loved them all.

Guest bleed orange
[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="951846" timestamp="1295555343"]
I don't think kids walk to and from school anymore. Times have changed.
[/quote]

We had Bicycles.  ;D ;D

Dang, some good discussion here...should have had its own thread!  As a select team manager for several years (SB) and dad to a kid aspiring to play at the next level, I've come to some realizations about youth sports (HS and select).  For what its worth:
- It doesn't matter how bad the parent wants it or even how good she is at a sport, a kid needs to love the game AND have the desire to play at the college level (or even continue it in HS) to make it happen.  It might STILL happen, but she prob won't be happy long term.
- Playing multiple sports in HS is great, but mix in one demanding select sport and it becomes darn near impossible hold up to the rigors, be sucessful and stay injury free.  Plus it is very stressful on teenage girl's life outside of sports.  Throw in a boyfriend and forget about it.  And lets face it, its easier to pull off playing mulitple HS sports in smaller enrollments because there is less competition to make the team.
- I've been around select sports and coaches for a long time and have NEVER seen anyone make ANY money, much less "big money". I know there are rare exceptions Bleed, but for the most part you can count on a finanicial loss when you take on a travel team. 
- If a kid truly wants to play at the next level, especially D1, they almost [u]have[/u] to cut their sports down to one "major" sport (or one that does not conflict with the almost year-round select sport) by their Soph year and, unless they are a Deion Sanders type athlete, better plan on playing select ball with a high-level competitive team to develop and be seen.  Since recruiting rules are so strict now, its easy and efficient for college coaches to come to big select exposure tournaments where they can see dozens of athletes.  Its pretty rare nowadays to see college coaches come to places like BH, OF or HJ to "scout talent".  If they do come, its because they first saw the athlete during the summer select season and just following up.
- There are a lot of parents out there who are not objective or realistic about their kids abilities and college prospects.  Throwing all your eggs in one basket (like Bobcat's comment on VB) in hopes that that will get a kid a scholarship is just plain silly if the kid is just not gifted or skilled enough.  Not many "Rudy's" out there that just make it on determination.
- Just my opinion here, but there are two kinds of (HS age) select/travel teams  - ones that are put together to showcase athletes for college exposure and ones put together to improve a HS program.  The second one is great if you can keep harmony common goals, but if I am a parent of kid wanting to play majory college ball, I will not allow her to play on the "HS" select team...for two reasons, first being that that team is not going to play in events where major colleges will be watching.  Second, I want her to play with players better than her to make her better.

[quote name="bleed orange" post="951848" timestamp="1295555446"]
[quote author=BLUEDOVE3 link=topic=78975.msg951846#msg951846 date=1295555343]
I don't think kids walk to and from school anymore. Times have changed.
[/quote]

We had Bicycles.  ;D ;D
[/quote]Sad! It's your generation thats at fault for the present generation :D

[quote name="HillGuy" post="951894" timestamp="1295561241"]
Dang, some good discussion here...should have had its own thread!  As a select team manager for several years (SB) and dad to a kid aspiring to play at the next level, I've come to some realizations about youth sports (HS and select).  For what its worth:
- It doesn't matter how bad the parent wants it or even how good she is at a sport, a kid needs to love the game AND have the desire to play at the college level (or even continue it in HS) to make it happen.  It might STILL happen, but she prob won't be happy long term.
- Playing multiple sports in HS is great, but mix in one demanding select sport and it becomes darn near impossible hold up to the rigors, be sucessful and stay injury free.  Plus it is very stressful on teenage girl's life outside of sports.  Throw in a boyfriend and forget about it.  And lets face it, its easier to pull off playing mulitple HS sports in smaller enrollments because there is less competition to make the team.
- I've been around select sports and coaches for a long time and have NEVER seen anyone make ANY money, much less "big money". I know there are rare exceptions Bleed, but for the most part you can count on a finanicial loss when you take on a travel team. 
- If a kid truly wants to play at the next level, especially D1, they almost [u]have[/u] to cut their sports down to one "major" sport (or one that does not conflict with the almost year-round select sport) by their Soph year and, unless they are a Deion Sanders type athlete, better plan on playing select ball with a high-level competitive team to develop and be seen.  Since recruiting rules are so strict now, its easy and efficient for college coaches to come to big select exposure tournaments where they can see dozens of athletes.  Its pretty rare nowadays to see college coaches come to places like BH, OF or HJ to "scout talent".  If they do come, its because they first saw the athlete during the summer select season and just following up.
- There are a lot of parents out there who are not objective or realistic about their kids abilities and college prospects.  Throwing all your eggs in one basket (like Bobcat's comment on VB) in hopes that that will get a kid a scholarship is just plain silly if the kid is just not gifted or skilled enough.  Not many "Rudy's" out there that just make it on determination.
- Just my opinion here, but there are two kinds of (HS age) select/travel teams  - ones that are put together to showcase athletes for college exposure and ones put together to improve a HS program.  The second one is great if you can keep harmony common goals, but if I am a parent of kid wanting to play majory college ball, I will not allow her to play on the "HS" select team...for two reasons, first being that that team is not going to play in events where major colleges will be watching.  Second, I want her to play with players better than her to make her better.

[/quote]And here within the above thread lies a major conflict. Read the last sentence. ???

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder