Brookeland vs. West Sabine Game Thread/West Sabine wins/Comments

WOSgrad

I have seen West Sabine play and they are good, very good. I haven't seen the others in the district play, so my veiw from the bench is limited here.

The question I have is what is going on in Brookeland? I know that they have had a successful program for many years, even up to 2 or 3 years ago. So, what has happened?

Just seems strange to me. I know programs go through ebbs and tides.

[quote name="nuthinbutnet" post="951135" timestamp="1295457746"]
I have seen West Sabine play and they are good, very good. I haven't seen the others in the district play, so my veiw from the bench is limited here.

The question I have is what is going on in Brookeland? I know that they have had a successful program for many years, even up to 2 or 3 years ago. So, what has happened?

[/quote] The basketball player when to Pineland.

[quote name="pinelandflash" post="951568" timestamp="1295499055"]
To CATMAN: Bitterness will get you nowhere in life. If jealousy's color is green, bitterness must be magenta or burnt siena. I don't know the particulars of the situation, but whatever happened was in the past, and living there is just plain sad!
[/quote] I hope it will get better in BROOKELAND they have some good basketball player over there.

[quote name="CATMAN" post="951367" timestamp="1295482909"]
[quote author=nuthinbutnet link=topic=78952.msg951135#msg951135 date=1295457746]

[/quote] The basketball player when to Pineland.
[/quote]

was it more than 1 player that moved?

Going to extend an olive branch here to anyone who may read this. I don't pretend to know what goes on down there (being out of high school 15 years I lose track with EVERYTHING on this level), but I hope things improve in Brookeland. No matter where the kids play, the fact is that they need a place to play! We need to remember that these are just kids playing a game and we are the adults talking about it.

If I must...four boys moved to Pineland last year from Brookeland. Three others moved to Jasper and another to Newton. That's [b]eight [/b] if my math is correct. Of Pineland's four: one was an 8th grader, one a junior and two were seniors.

Ironically, the junior was approved for varsity play while the seniors were not. While the junior got limited varsity play, the two seniors were relegated to junior varsity sports for their senior year. They chose to do that rather than continue as varsity players at Brookeland (I'll let each of you read into that what you will).

I believe all the others that moved to other schools were approved to play by their respective district commitees, but I'm not certain if any of them actually played varsity ball (I will again allow you to read into that what you will).

The Pineland junior and 8th grader are now senior and freshman. They both play, but they are in no way the only reason West Sabine is playing so well. West Sabine's senior class has been very good since they were together in junior high. They have lots of depth, and the two former Brookeland players add to that. Would they be good without them? I absolutely believe so. Are they better with them? I believe they are.

Where does that leave us? Pineland is good. Hope this helps the inquisitive types.

Thanks for the input soonerbeintexas. It has been a couple of years now that I have been to Brookeland's gym/s and each time I left with the strong impression from all of the banners and trophy's in the cases that that school had a long history of good, very good basketball. Now, it just seems that they have faded away fast.
I know that schools swing from the bottom of the district to the top and then back down again over a period of time. This is the reason for my question earlier in this string.
Thanks for providing insight. I will not even attempt to "read into" the situation anymore that you described.

[quote name="Burkeville Chronicle" post="952155" timestamp="1295623936"]
How many of the players that moved were baseball players?
[/quote]

Of the four that moved to Pineland, three were eligible to play high school baseball and the other was in junior high. Two of the three varsity-eligible players played...both seniors and both JV.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder