Public/Private Intergration?

I posted this in the football forum, and received a pretty resounding no from them.  I was curious to see if opinions would be different in the soccer forum...

I understand that private schools have their own league since they can recruit players.  But its not like this is a huge advantage for them.  Let's take Kelly-the most notable private school in the area.  In football and basketball, in the district with WOS, Silsbee, HJ, BC, OF, and HF, they would be pretty average.  In baseball, they would be a little better.  They obviously don't have a distinct advantage.

In fact, being part of the UIL would give them a big boost, because it would greatly increase their notoriety.  They would be able to play district teams that are MUCH closer to them, and attendance would probably receive a huge boost.  Plus, if Texas does go to 6 classifications, it would help make sure that the classifications didn't get watered down.  They already do it in Louisiana and in a couple other states that I am aware of.

So there's my opinion.  Thoughts?

[quote name="Newbie" post="941720" timestamp="1294107738"]
Strake Jesuit plays in UIL in Houston.  I believe another Jesuit school in Dallas does too.  They can choose to join UIL.
[/quote]

But they have to be 5A.  Schools like Kelly, Legacy, and certainly Orange Community Christian wouldn't even be competitive in most sports at that level.

As a former Kelly player, I don't think the private schools would like that too much. I'm not that educated on the caliber of the local 3a (which Kelly would be in) schools from last season or the upcoming season but whenever I played the gap in talent and competition was to large between kelly and the other 3a schools for this to be a good idea. I'd rather have a very competitive, fast-paced game watched by 20 people than a lopsided game watched by 200.

[quote name="jcb6790" post="942102" timestamp="1294178549"]
As a former Kelly player, I don't think the private schools would like that too much. I'm not that educated on the caliber of the local 3a (which Kelly would be in) schools from last season or the upcoming season but whenever I played the gap in talent and competition was to large between kelly and the other 3a schools for this to be a good idea. I'd rather have a very competitive, fast-paced game watched by 20 people than a lopsided game watched by 200.
[/quote]

Which brings to light another point which is it is not as if there are any rampant complaints about TAPPS.  Aside from the Jesuits, I don't know of any other who has even attempted to sue their way into the UIL.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder