Best running back in Liberty history

eagle65

[quote name="eagle65" post="939709" timestamp="1293686807"]
Who was the best running back in Liberty history
[/quote]I would say either Henry Winters or Byron Brooks. I would probably give the nod to henry, because bryon had some off the field issues and didn't play that much. I can say when he did he was a beast.

[quote name="7mary3" post="940276" timestamp="1293817468"]
I believe the only notable player that really ever come out of Liberty would be Donald Douglas.  Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the RB White who played for OK St was pretty salty.  Think he came out early for the NFL draft and didn't get drafted.
[/quote]

Reggie White was his name.  He was really good, but I think the best back ever would be Henry Winters hands down.

[quote name="liltex" post="940196" timestamp="1293803767"]
Late 40's-Sterling Griffin who went to Lamar & played on the team w/Bum Phillips before transferring to Baylor w/Jr.Gajdosik from Dayton.
[/quote]

Sterling was the best golfer to ever come out of this area also.  His son Bobby could swing the sticks also. ;)

[quote name="bronco#34" post="940277" timestamp="1293817651"]
DOUGLASS WAS A QB NOT A RB.CHRIS EDWARDS WAS A RECIEVER WHO PLAYED AT SFA,ALSO WENT TO DRAFT BUT DIDNT GET DRAFTED
[/quote]
If you would re-read what I wrote I stated "notable athlete", I know he was a QB and I know this thread is about RB's but I was just merely listing a player that went to the next level and well known from Liberty.  I played back when he played so I know what I'm talking about so pull your pants back up and respect your elders by not yelling in all caps.... 8)

The debate could go on for awhile so just ask anybody over 65 in the Liberty Co.area as they still talk about Sterling Griffin.I don't know where his newspaper scrapbook went but remember reading pages on top of pages of clippings of 3-7 tds.per game.Even Dayton RB football greats the late E.B.White & judge Glenn Pruitt talked about him many times.And yes he won over 20 golf touraments and was a golf pro @ 3 differant golf courses.Held the record @ Magnolia Ridge CC in Liberty for years w/6 under par on 9 holes verified by Whit Daniels & Coots Matthews of Boots N Coots oilwell fighters.His health is not well @ 82 at this time but @ 79 he could still shoot his age on 18 holes most days 8)

Guest jhamilton
[quote name="SASQUASH22" post="941452" timestamp="1294073595"]
RONNIE RUBIT -PLAYED IN THE LATE 70'S (GREAT INDIVIDUAL AND FOOTBALL PLAYER )
[/quote]

Whats he doing now?

Guest tigersvoice
I'm trying to get an update on the Boone brothers from Liberty that played there in the early 1950's.  Daniel (the oldest) played end and Jerry played QB.  Both were at Lamar in the 1955 season.  Anyone with any information?  Thanks.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder