Green returns to Central as opposing coach

Heres another reason:

I asked a kid (player) from Westbrook earlier today about a particular player @ Central. The WB kid said the Central kid was great. I asked him what made him so good. The WB kid said because he dunks the ball. ::) I asked the WB kid did the Central kid have a mid-range game. The WB kid didn't know what I was talking about ::)

[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="937138" timestamp="1292968559"]
Heres another reason:

I asked a kid (player) from Westbrook earlier today about a particular player @ Central. The WB kid said the Central kid was great. I asked him what made him so good. The WB kid said because he dunks the ball. ::) I asked the WB kid did the Central kid have a mid-range game. The WB kid didn't know what I was talking about ::)
[/quote]We have a few kids with midrange game...  meaning that WHEN they do take it, it goes in...

You have to remember that the coach that is their now is not the coach who had coach the team for the past few years.  I see improvement in the Central team from last year to this year.  Several of the Ozen players played at Central for the former coach, Ieans, Daire, and Zenn.  They left Central because of the former coach, and it is a shame they could not come back, as all are seniors. 

I do fault Rice for alot of what is wrong with the Central basketball program.  Smith is an excellent player, but has spent three seasons doing exactly what he want.  Anyone who coach should know that it is hard to re-teach older players. 

You are very quick to judge, do you coach?

[quote name="SB" post="937172" timestamp="1292973906"]
You have to remember that the coach that is their now is not the coach who had coach the team for the past few years.  I see improvement in the Central team from last year to this year.  Several of the Ozen players played at Central for the former coach, Ieans, Daire, and Zenn.  They left Central because of the former coach, and it is a shame they could not come back, as all are seniors. 

I do fault Rice for alot of what is wrong with the Central basketball program.  Smith is an excellent player, but has spent three seasons doing exactly what he want.  Anyone who coach should know that it is hard to re-teach older players. 

You are very quick to judge, do you coach?
[/quote]Who me? I do personal coaching.

Rice did alot of wrong doing no disrespect to silsbee but i remember when silsbee was always have a fourth an fifth tema in the area cuz bmt an Pa school had so much talent to choose from the talent pool is dropped silsbee gets what they get but this school an choose from THOUSANDS of Students an I can bet none of them can hold a candle for silsbee

[quote name="SHS_Mayor" post="937297" timestamp="1292991699"]
Rice did alot of wrong doing no disrespect to silsbee but i remember when silsbee was always have a fourth an fifth tema in the area cuz bmt an Pa school had so much talent to choose from the talent pool is dropped silsbee gets what they get but this school an choose from THOUSANDS of Students an I can bet none of them can hold a candle for silsbee
[/quote]The talent has dropped all over the Beaumont area and is no fault of the coaches.

Bball goes in cycles around BMT.  Currently we are in a down cycle, and you can tell by how short the teams are! Currnetly football is BIG in BMT.  If all of the talent had not funneled to OZzen in the beginning of the decade the drop off may not have been that bad overall.  Ozen enjoyed 10 years of being awesome while the other schools were decent.  It should have been three great teams... But I would change the Austin trips for the nothing!

The really bad thing is that Rice did not have the talent pool, his coaching short comings stood out more!  It was hi first job.  The funny thing is that he learned from Simon over at Westbrook!!!  That is a crying shame no one calls him out.  He has actually had the talent to field some great teams, but his shortcomings are so large that those teams look just decent. 

I still dont like the new coach at Central but I dont pay the bills either!

I guess I should say why I dont like him as the head coach!  Central plays a pesky half court defense, but the press rarely works.  Its a timing issue.  But this guy stayed in the press while Ozen pulled away on ly-ups.  Unlike Yates, Central doesnt play that way for 38 minutes.  The press is improperly coached and you can see it from the sidelines.  I watched his players not use the backboard on lay-ups.  Missed alot because of it!  nHe never corrected them in the game, maybe because he never teaches them the right way to shoot lay-ups from the jump.  The half court D is impressive because of natural ability, not because of the scheme.  It is very chaotic!  Another sign of his lack of ability is the fact that he pulls you when you make 1 mistake.  Now sometimes that is needed.  But he never takes the time to coach the kid when he comes to the sideline! It is like a punishment and you can see the body language on the kids when it happens.  Personnel wise he I think his line up should change. He has a 6'2 and a 6'3 close to 4 kid that lives on springs.  They should both start in the middle, instead of going four guards.

You make several good points. If I'm pulling a kid out for a mistake, you have to be able to teach on the sidelines during the game. You have to know your players. keeping up their confidence is a part of the job too, or you'll have kids worried about making mistakes and being pulled. Not good! Basketball coaches need to be made accountable like football coaches. Coaching less talented players will bring out a coach's real weaknesses.

[quote name="mfd814" post="937606" timestamp="1293066037"]
There are lots of good freshman in the Golden Triangle area. Hopefully things will get better. Beaumont should have some talent shortly, if the coaching does what it should. 
[/quote]I agree. The freshmen group from Central are suppose to be the best. Only time will tell.

[quote name="mfd814" post="937688" timestamp="1293077721"]
I saw WB freshman vs Central freshman in 1st part of season.  WB led almost the whole game, only a 2 on Central stood out. Central did win. but I do  think they have some freshman playing up. 
[/quote]oH OKAY, I bet you're referring to the Vincent (sp?) middle school players who have gone on to WB.
i HAD FORGOTTEN ABOUT THEM. ;)

Man the coaching at Central has completely went down hill since David Green left. Rice has basketball knowledge but lacked discipline with the players. The coach now only has 3 plays on offense and his defense has no rotations what so ever. This conversation came from a player and myself a few days ago.
Me: whast up man,how yall looking this year?
Player: I don't know,but I know we will be in shape!!
Me: Why is that?
Player: Man we have been running on the track every day since the 2nd week of school.
Me: What??!! Nothing in the gym? no basketball stuff?
Player: not at all,running on the track everyday in 4th hour.We learned our first play a week before our first game.He just want us to push the ball for layups and pressure the ball on defense.
Me: WOW you cant be serious.
Player: He told us all we go have is 3 offensive plays and we better find a way to make them work.

not many games will be won like that.

[quote name="bacbone9" post="937724" timestamp="1293084589"]
Man the coaching at Central has completely went down hill since David Green left. Rice has basketball knowledge but lacked discipline with the players. The coach now only has 3 plays on offense and his defense has no rotations what so ever. This conversation came from a player and myself a few days ago.
Me: whast up man,how yall looking this year?
Player: I don't know,but I know we will be in shape!!
Me: Why is that?
Player: Man we have been running on the track every day since the 2nd week of school.
Me: What??!! Nothing in the gym? no basketball stuff?
Player: not at all,running on the track everyday in 4th hour.We learned our first play a week before our first game.He just want us to push the ball for layups and pressure the ball on defense.
Me: WOW you cant be serious.
Player: He told us all we go have is 3 offensive plays and we better find a way to make them work.

not many games will be won like that.
[/quote]I admit I've only seen one Central game, but I wasn't too impressed with the skill level those kids showed against Ozen. But they do hustle and get after it. Maybe thats why he has them in shape.

Skill level is not a problem... Coaching is... Central has the athletes to win, but the coaching does not improve there skills.  These kids have been good players since coming to Central but the coaching and guidance hasn't helped improving thier skills.  The coaching is failing these kids.  Basketball fundamentals! 

Skills?  All Central has players that handle the rock well, has the leapers, has a brute, and has the shooters.... Those are skills. 

What they don't have is fundamentals.  When to shoot, how to move the ball, when not to dribble, how to deliver the pass, how to play position defense, and how to beat a particular defense! Those are all about the coaching!  Central is lacking in that area! BISD let me down with this coaches hire! Especiallly after what the examiner released about him.  There is enough talent for Central to be a very good squad!

[quote name="ABSENT!" post="937761" timestamp="1293117326"]
Skill level is not a problem... Coaching is... Central has the athletes to win, but the coaching does not improve there skills.  These kids have been good players since coming to Central but the coaching and guidance hasn't helped improving thier skills.  The coaching is failing these kids.  Basketball fundamentals! 

Skills?  All Central has players that handle the rock well, has the leapers, has a brute, and has the shooters.... Those are skills. 

What they don't have is fundamentals.  When to shoot, how to move the ball, when not to dribble, how to deliver the pass, how to play position defense, and how to beat a particular defense! Those are all about the coaching!  Central is lacking in that area! BISD let me down with this coaches hire! Especiallly after what the examiner released about him.  There is enough talent for Central to be a very good squad!
[/quote]

You are absolutely right. The skill they come to Central with is the same skills they leave with.They are not getting any better.

I used to believe you needed great talent to win State.  Dont get me wrong it helps greatly.  But then you see alot of State champs who had no players have any college impact.  Some teams with great players that are a beast in college, end up losing to a better coached less talented squad in highschool.  Examples:

Ft Bend Bush went to State last year when Bellaire had way more pure talent!
Yates had 6'10 Anthony Jones (Baylor), Joseph, and Peters and lost to a Wheatly team with no next level talent!
Texas Tech Mike Singleton stared three years at Tech, but lost to a Duncanville team with couple of College bench players
None of the members of FW Dunbar that beat Ozen went directly to a D1 school, while Perk is now a pro, Chappell started D1, Dabney Started D1, Brekenridge played D1, Young started D1
The team with Deron Williams and Bracey Wright did'nt even make the State game that year!

Central has some athletes and two basketball players!!! That is enough to compete in 4A!

[quote name="ABSENT!" post="937761" timestamp="1293117326"]

[/quote]I'm in agreement with you. Our definition of "skill" vs athleticism & fundamentals is being interchanged, thats all.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder