Why should the head football coach be the Athletic Director?

shooter

Recently, I have had people tell me that they think the only way to get a good football coach is to  give him the title Athletic Director as well. Would you get a better basketball coach if you gave him both titles? If the basketball coach has a master's degree and the football coach doesn't, who is most qualified? If you say the football program brings in the most money, aren't you bringing into question incentive pay, which is prohibite by the UIL; that would kinda be like a bonus (the ADtitle) which means more money (bonus). 

Let me hear it.

It may be true that you have to give the Ad spot to football coach to get a good one, I dont know.  You do not have to have your masters to be an Athletic Director, I know of alot that arent.  I dont telly pay much attention to football, I cant stand it, I will watch if nothing else is on, but I am a basketball junkie.  You make a good point about the incentive pay.
I do see more than in the past, an upswing in AD outside of the Head football coach. Now when I was in school 10 years ago, it was football coach was Ad.  Only a spot on the map here and there where it wasnt.  All the football coach will do is hire an offensive coordinator to coach basketball.  So you get a football coach first and basketball coach second. If you look around the state where the good basketball programs are, the AD will not be the football coach.

[quote name="no-look" post="927236" timestamp="1291604066"]
Depends on the school. What sport is king. Some schools probally need a fb ad if that the only sport they care about.....schools rich in basketball tradition needs a bb ad or an athleic coordinator.
[/quote]Okay, so what do you do when football and basketball aren't that successful?  ???

[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="927241" timestamp="1291604837"]
[quote author=no-look link=topic=77091.msg927236#msg927236 date=1291604066]
Depends on the school. What sport is king. Some schools probally need a fb ad if that the only sport they care about.....schools rich in basketball tradition needs a bb ad or an athleic coordinator.
[/quote]Okay, so what do you do when football and basketball aren't that successful?  ???
[/quote]Hard question to answer.....our football program never got off the ground(28 years) and struggled with basketball since the fb came in. We have had mostly fb AD's......Last two years we have had a bb AD. and have had somewhat success in bb......there are good fb AD's and bad ones......some care about all sports and some only care about fb. If you have a bad one that is a tough situation for trying to build a basketball program...

Since I am not from the area I will just say that where I am from the position is separate.  That way you have a vested interested in all sports.  I think it should be an administrative position.  Does Jasper have it as a separate job?  I think you could have alot of young coaches that could grow into good coaches.  My opinion is that it should not matter if a program is good or not, can always fall back on that as a reason not to do it.  That being said, don't think it will ever change.

Admin,

So at your school, the teacher with the most students is the Department Head? Normally, those of us who coach other sports (other than football) see more kids a day because the Athletic Director in most schools is doing what most of the day. A friend mind who is a very, very, very successful high school football coach (two state championships) said he always told the school to give him some classes because he didn't no what to do with himself all day if he wasn't doing something other than being the district's Athletic Director.

Another thing to  keep in mind is that most  coaches in other sports coach more games in a season than the football coach and yet he makes the most money and is always given more help. I have worked an offseason football program before and afterwards I wondered what a waste of taxpayer dollars with so many coaches doing nothing but watching as primarily, one guy ran the entire  offseason program; so some traditions really need to be revisted.

[quote name="football" post="927373" timestamp="1291643744"]
When was the last time a teacher, or for that matter a basketball coach got fired for one bad season.  There are currently around 15 head football coaching vacancies.  As for the origional question, look at two 2A programs in the area - Kountze and East Chambers.
[/quote]Ah exactly! Why aren't basketball coaches being held accountable for their winning or losing seasons? So maybe parents have to show more of an interest and let the administration know that its time for accountability. There is a lot of pride in your community and school when your basketball team goes off to State.

You can look at big school districts to small school districts and all of them have different scenarios.  The reasoning for the football coach normally being the AD in southeast texas rides normally on money...It allows the schools to give the guy something close to the other bigtime schools in the big cities...If you look at some of the big schools over the past 10 years they have went to AD's and Assistant AD's that are repsonsibile for scheduling, transportation, facilities, etc without coaching duties....In Plano years back they brough in a guy with a marketing background to boost bigger sponsors and donars similar to college type administrators...However the head coaches were conisdered coordinators and got paid decent and had no duties...I think schools will begin to change when they feel the tightining down of the budgets....

Kind of goes back to the universal stuff, why should a head coach in another sport make less and still have to do football? why not let them have the non football kids and let them work on their own programs.  As far as a comparison towards pay vs the big city, if they were that good let them take the trip.  Also, I see kids taping the basketball games and such yet football has a coach doing it, we have 37 kids in basketball and only had 56 in football for all levels yet we only have 3 coaches for all of basketball.  Some things will never change. 

[quote name="football" post="927487" timestamp="1291658959"]
How many positions in bb.  How many do you work with at one time.  Both sports are great so we need to quit comparing this.  IMO, this is like the prop 48 quest for NCAA.  Even # scholarships - which girls sport needs over 50 participants to be successful. 
[/quote]

Then are you saying that the status quo is acceptable?

[quote name="Scalabrine" post="927553" timestamp="1291666261"]
[quote author=KHSAlum400 link=topic=77091.msg927485#msg927485 date=1291658724]
What about having the Trainer as your AD?  ::) ::) >:( >:(

Still not seeing how that works!
[/quote]"Where dey do dat at?"
[/quote]
Kountze

[quote name="east texas bb" post="928060" timestamp="1291743341"]
Do you know what it cost to dress one football player out compared to a basketball player?  And your talking about more numbers in football.  Plus you have to pay for 15-20 coaches salaries.  The old trick that football brings in money is not plyable anymore.  People see through it.
[/quote]Isn't America great? This is why forums like this are good. It offers the possibilities of transparency. You will and can be called out about your programs

[quote name="football" post="927935" timestamp="1291728790"]
[quote author=Scalabrine link=topic=77091.msg927553#msg927553 date=1291666261]
[quote author=KHSAlum400 link=topic=77091.msg927485#msg927485 date=1291658724]
What about having the Trainer as your AD?  ::) ::) >:( >:(

Still not seeing how that works!
[/quote]"Where dey do dat at?"
[/quote]
Kountze
[/quote]

I need to find out when that AD position opens up in Kountze. I would like to apply.  :D

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder