Are HS Coaches To Blame For The Failure of Athletes Not Getting Into College

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="902762" timestamp="1289343057"]
Maybe these athletes that you speak of are just not good enough to get scholarships to play at the next level. ;)

Some of these athletes (particularly their parents or guardians ;)) have this sense of entitlement when it comes to the next level, not just the college level. ;)
[/quote]Man, I'm glad my kids are not getting ready to graduate. I was beginning to think you were throwing darts. :D Hey wait a minute, you said a sense of entitlement @ the next level, excluding the college level....hmmm?

Coaches should help athletes get into college but not at the expense of the coach's reputation.  The coaches have to trust that these athletes are going to represent them well.  Just because you are the best player on a team doesn't mean you are entitled to a college scholarship.  Lets face it, basketball is one of the hardest scholarships to get due to numbers and amount of talent.

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="902762" timestamp="1289343057"]
Maybe these athletes that you speak of are just not good enough to get scholarships to play at the next level. ;)

Some of these athletes (particularly their parents or guardians ;)) have this sense of entitlement when it comes to the next level, not just the college level. ;)
[/quote]Entitlement. Now that is a great topic to discuss. Entitlement is expecting to be given something w/out putting in the time and effort....just because. Expecting reward for hard work and effort is a horse of a different color. Hard work and effort outshines entitlement any day! Inspect closely, while others are playing Xbox yet getting entitlements, there are some youth that are quietly putting in the hard work in the gym being accused of being entitled. Be wise and know the difference.

[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="902755" timestamp="1289342125"]
Or are student-athletes paving their own way into college w/o the help of their coaches?
[/quote] But to answer your question Dove....no. Parents and players have to take the bull by the horns. Gone are the days where the coach was God. Players have to do the extra things to get your name out there ...independent of the coach's efforts. Having a coach with multiple long tentacles is a plus, but if you are not blessed with that you may have to find your own avenue.

Guest Two-Dogs...
Kids and parents need to take the initiative. Also if you have a kid who has even the most remote possibility of getting an athletic scholarship of any kind, get him/her enrolled in the ncaa clearinghouse online. If your kid is not registered with the clearinghouse then the coaches can't really "see" him. Things like official visits cannot take place without your kid being enrolled. It is a very important first step. Also coaches in all sports at the collegiate level watch their summer camps very closely. Those camps are not just babysitting for a week or so. The coaches are looking at the talent and learning about personalities and intelligence. I have personally been told by coaches at very large D1 schools that they get "a lot" of recruits from their camps. It's just another way to get onto the radar.

The internet is also a great tool. With a small amount of resourcefulness you can get the e-mail address of any coach out there. Send out e-mails to the schools you would be interested in attending. And finally, remember that the school IS ACTUALLY GIVING OUT MONEY when they award a scholarship to any athlete. They want to see that they are your choice also. Many times, if your kid is not a Vince Young or a Colt McCoy, they will want your kid to decide that he wants to go to that school in particular before they will really talk seriously about money. For example, the UT coaches are really looking for kids that have always had the dream to wear that burnt orange. They want a kid who is already a Longhorn at heart. Of course UT can take this type of stance a bit easier than say a Sam Houston or a Lamar can but the others are similar.

Guest speechless
the million dollar question is: are parents always realistic in their expectations of getting a scholarship for their child when they are "taking the bull by the horns"?

that is where the coach comes in handy, he or she can often give an honest assessment of the players prospects that is not shaded with rose colored glasses

[quote name="speechless" post="903141" timestamp="1289395928"]
the million dollar question is: are parents always realistic in their expectations of getting a scholarship for their child when they are "taking the bull by the horns"?

that is where the coach comes in handy, he or she can often give an honest assessment of the players prospects that is not shaded with rose colored glasses
[/quote]As a parent, I feel you have to be very realistic about your child's talent. There are systems in place to gauge where your child rate among their peers. You gotta be honest about their weaknesses and be willing to work and improve. As far as coaches, I know someone who coaches in Houston ISD and mentioned that he has seen his head coach throw questionnaires from colleges in the trash can. I'm a firm believer parents along with their kids need to take an active and aggressive role in the recruiting process. Getting the books in order, preparing for SAT's and ACT's by the 9th grade.

[quote name="Two-Dogs..." post="903085" timestamp="1289369412"]
Kids and parents need to take the initiative. Also if you have a kid who has even the most remote possibility of getting an athletic scholarship of any kind, get him/her enrolled in the ncaa clearinghouse online. If your kid is not registered with the clearinghouse then the coaches can't really "see" him. Things like official visits cannot take place without your kid being enrolled. It is a very important first step. Also coaches in all sports at the collegiate level watch their summer camps very closely. Those camps are not just babysitting for a week or so. The coaches are looking at the talent and learning about personalities and intelligence. I have personally been told by coaches at very large D1 schools that they get "a lot" of recruits from their camps. It's just another way to get onto the radar.

The internet is also a great tool. With a small amount of resourcefulness you can get the e-mail address of any coach out there. Send out e-mails to the schools you would be interested in attending. And finally, remember that the school IS ACTUALLY GIVING OUT MONEY when they award a scholarship to any athlete. They want to see that they are your choice also. Many times, if your kid is not a Vince Young or a Colt McCoy, they will want your kid to decide that he wants to go to that school in particular before they will really talk seriously about money. For example, the UT coaches are really looking for kids that have always had the dream to wear that burnt orange. They want a kid who is already a Longhorn at heart. Of course UT can take this type of stance a bit easier than say a Sam Houston or a Lamar can but the others are similar.
[/quote]
Good True post. 

Gone is the day that you can sit and wait.  High School coaches have contacts that they have gotten to know over the years, but it would be unfair to ask them to know everyone...at every level. They cant.

Who in their right mind says, "I will wait for someone else to go get my child $100,000.00."  Do everything you can....use every tool.  And when someone says "You are doing things wrong or different than the way its been done.".... just smile and continue on.  If your child doesnt get a scholarship.....it will not be from lack of effort.

[quote name="no-look" post="902949" timestamp="1289356976"]
I always figured that if they were good enough they would be sought after........some parents will tell you its the coaches fault...lol
[/quote]

Be careful there, No-look.  You are employing logic and/or common sense.  Those two items are often not very well received here.

Guest Two-Dogs...
[quote name="stevenash" post="903266" timestamp="1289403546"]
[quote author=no-look link=topic=75809.msg902949#msg902949 date=1289356976]
I always figured that if they were good enough they would be sought after........some parents will tell you its the coaches fault...lol
[/quote]

Be careful there, No-look.  You are employing logic and/or common sense.  Those two items are often not very well received here.
[/quote]

Waiting to be sought after does not help you get into a school of your choice. We were lucky enough to have recieved recruiting letters from many schools around the country but had we not been proactive the school of choice would have more than likely not been in the mix. I guess if you are just scholarship hunting and don't really care about what the school has to offer academiclly then that approach would be fine.

One other thing, I can also state that getting kids scholarships is NOT a primary responsibility to the coaches. Once school started this fall, we recieved several letters that were sent to my son c/o the athletic department at the school. the thing is they were postmarked early last May when school was still in session. So even passing along letters isn't a priority!

So is it the coaches responsibility to get your kid recruited - NO, but you can't sit around and wait for some guy in coaching shorts to show up at your front door and hand you a ticket to ride!

Just read some updates on signings and several reports mentioned the player's AAU coach as being the go-to-info person. Example, Laquinton Ross out of Jackson, MS. I can't remember the last time I've seen or heard a high school coach being a figure head on signing day for the top players.

Guest speechless
hmmm....check out the pictures taken on signing day...tell me how many AAU guys are there with the kids?

[quote]One other thing, I can also state that getting kids scholarships is NOT a primary responsibility to the coaches. Once school started this fall, we recieved several letters that were sent to my son c/o the athletic department at the school. the thing is they were postmarked early last May when school was still in session. So even passing along letters isn't a priority! [/quote]

So because your coach didn't hand your kids letters then you lump ALL coaches into that category?  Thats a pretty harsh stereotype isn't it?  To say ALL coaches are that way?

[quote name="speechless" post="903301" timestamp="1289406291"]
ncaa working diligently to take it completely out of the hands of the AAU "coaches"
[/quote]NCAA won't make it happen, unless they can see some revenue from the move. It's gotten too big. Everytime NCAA throws a new ruling into the mix,  summerball promoters find a way to continue. NCAA put up roadblocks to discourage  middle school players from attending camps given by promoters on college campuses. But the promoters got around that too.

Guest speechless
gonna be hard to get around coaches not being able to attend....already happened once and it is benefitting high school coaches....the one's who really know the kids and care as much about the kids as a person as how well he or she can play

[quote name="mammagotjuice" post="902974" timestamp="1289357754"]
[quote author=AggiesAreWe link=topic=75809.msg902762#msg902762 date=1289343057]

[/quote]Entitlement. Now that is a great topic to discuss. Entitlement is expecting to be given something w/out putting in the time and effort....just because. Expecting reward for hard work and effort is a horse of a different color. Hard work and effort outshines entitlement any day! Inspect closely, while others are playing Xbox yet getting entitlements, there are some youth that are quietly putting in the hard work in the gym being accused of being entitled. Be wise and know the difference.

[/quote]

Let's remember that just because you work hard doesn't entitle you to anything.  You have to be great to get a college scholarship these days and there are plenty of kids who work hard and never get one. 

The simple answer to this simple question that is the title of this thread is quite simply "NO". HS coaches are not to blame. You yourself has stated many times that it's the "AAU people" that get these scholarships for these "athletes". If they don't get the scholarships, the only one's to blame would be the "AAU guys". ;)

Now Dove, what other personal soapbox would you like to discuss? Playing time? Type of offense designed around one player? Parental control? How to handle "prima donna's"?

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="903366" timestamp="1289411305"]
The simple answer to this simple question that is the title of this thread is quite simply "NO". HS coaches are not to blame. You yourself has stated many times that it's the "AAU people" that get these scholarships for these "athletes". If they don't get the scholarships, the only one's to blame would be the "AAU guys". ;)

Now Dove, what other personal soapbox would you like to discuss? Playing time? Type of offense designed around one player? Parental control? How to handle "prima donna's"?
[/quote]Hmm, now thats a lot to throw at one person ( your last paragragh). But let me get back to your first paragraph.. Not EVERY hs players has an AAU coach, so now it's even more simpler. "Me, myself" have always said hs players need to be aware of the exposure events thats are scheduled so that they can be seen in front of college coaches.

Personal soapbox? Playing time? Type of offense for one player? Parental control? How to handle [color=goldenrod]prima[/color] [color=blue]donna's[/color]? Explain what you're really trying to say.. 8)

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami