good stuff feel free to add

MoFo

I think if you follow these simple rules you will NOT become “THAT” parent or coach, and also some things you can do TO become “THAT” parent or coach.

To NOT become “THAT” parent
1) Watch a sand lot baseball game with no adults involved, you will find everything works itself out and every kid has a blast.

2) Don’t drop your kid off (usually late) then leave, and come back later (usually late) and pick them up while the coach waits on you, and then show up on game time to criticize everything the coach is doing.

3) Remember that EVERY kid out there is the best one on the field if you do not believe this ask anyone of their parents and they will tell you.

4) Don’t scream and yell at anyone’s kids during a game including your own

5) Teach your child to respect the game, the other team, and the coaches and officials.

6) While noise makers are great for the Pro and College Levels there is ABSOLUTELY no justification in banging boards, shaking rocks in a bottle, blowing air horns, or ringing cow bells to “RATTLE” an 8-12 year old  CHILD who is trying to play a GAME. If you must do it as your team enters or leaves the playing field.

To BECOME “THAT” parent
1) ALWAYS blame the officials anytime your child loses a game

2) Talk badly about a player, coach, or official while sitting in the stands, chances are someone kin to them will be close by and you can hurt their feelings also.

3) Tell your kid who the worst players on their team are so they can keep the ball away from them.

This is all in fun, and I am by no means pointing anyone out, these are just some things I have observed in my 20+ years of umpiring, coaching, and parenting.

I am guilty of breaking some of these but try hard not to, please feel free to add others as you see necessary.

Sorry I just realized I chopped a few of my ways to BECOME "THAT" parent

4) Always look for the college scout that you think MUST be at your 8-12 year olds game

5) Question EVERY call the umpire or official makes even though you have NEVER umped a game in your life.

6) (and my favorite) ALWAYS find some flaw in a child on your childs team if they do well. This way it points out the bad in that athlete and makes your child look better.

Great post. After last Saturday I will never officiate another "little fella" football game because of the stands full of "That" parent. I have officated 249 sub varsity and 80 varsity games (I check my spreadsheet) many playoffs and have never felt unsafe leaving a field until Saturday. "That parent" in the stands was inciting his 8 yr olds to break the arm of the opposing 8 yr olds because they couldn't stop them. They SCREAMED for a flag every play that they couldn't defense. I used to work these games because it was fun to watch the little guys play and learn the game. Sorry, but when and 8 yr old tackle gets up out of his stance to pull out a wedgie, I'm not flagging him. When 8 yr olds break the huddle with 12, or 13 or 14 they are not trying to confuse or trick the defense, they are just trying to play ball. I stop the game, get the right number on and let them play. Regardless of what "That Parent" screams. I will no longer miss Saturdays with my family to be abused by That parent. We have our TASO meeting tonight and we are going in encourage the rest to stand down from them also. Just put somebody out there to spot the ball and let the kids play.

I hate to hear that Tee, a couple of years ago I took a year off from umping because of the abuse, back at it now but I know how you feel. You can only tell yourself I am doing this for the kids so many times before you throw your hands up and say "hey its all yours" to the parents.

When TIFI Beaumont Bulls play Home game, Beaumont Area refs are used, no names, but these guys are great. They know the rules. The tell a kid after a flag what they did wrong, and they are there to help them learn. We even had some come to the end of year banquet last year to talk to our kids and parents. They are very involved.  We appreciate them.

Dont be that parent that is a pot stirrer.  Parents on the side at practice, games etc downing coaches, players, board, etc and no one tells them they are wrong, they just continue to stir the pot till it boils over.

I have one for the "Don't be that parent/coach".  This is not from our team, but another city's team.

Don't be that Daddy Ball coach who is putting his child in a position when he doesn't need to be playing there.  It's one thing to play that way in baseball, but in football, you're going to get your little guy hurt  :(.

How NOT to become that parent

Have your child practice outside of the scheduled practice.  Don't depend on the limited amount of time the coaches get to spend with the team be the only training/practice that your child gets.  Encourage them to go to clinics if you can afford it.  Let them get outside with their friends and throw the ball around, even if you have to drive them over to a friend's house to do it.  Get out there and practice with them.  Sit down and watch college and pro games with them.  The more they know and love the game, the better they'll get at it.

[quote name="LilBobcatMom" post="872454" timestamp="1286832030"]
I have one for the "Don't be that parent/coach".  This is not from our team, but another city's team.

[size=14pt][color=red]Don't be that Daddy Ball coach who is putting his child in a position when he doesn't need to be [/color] [/size] playing there.  It's one thing to play that way in baseball, but in football, you're going to get your little guy hurt  :(.
[/quote]Alot of parents coach for that reason... ;D ;D ;D

Well like teeboan said earlier, we had our TASO meeting tonight.  We do not discuss STJFL or other little league football organizations in our meetings.  We are trained on UIL rules and mechanics for sub varsity and varsity games.  After the meeting several officials had comments about postings on this site.  Do not be suprised when STJFL loses several senior officials that have been calling these games for years and will be starting this Saturday.  We put up with more BS from coaches and parents at this level than we do on the varsity level.  And at that level the coaches jobs are on the line and we do not even get near the flack we receive on Saturday's.  Just like Teeboan said earlier I might start just spending time with my family who appreciates instead of getting ridiculed all day.  We have a very strong organization and stand behind each other and I will hate to see parents officiate their games (on the other hand I might enjoy it, and just see if they know all the rules and can see everything that takes place on the field).  The only other officiating chapter close to hear is in Houston and they have three times jr league football organizations than our area and pretty sure they will not travel this far for the amount of money we get paid.  Like I said on other post, we do not do this for the money, we do it because we want to teach the kids rules and sportsmanship of the game.  This is our HOBBY!  I hope this does not get to ugly with our officials because I enjoy watching these kids grow and learn the game of football.

[quote name="Scalabrine" post="872483" timestamp="1286833924"]
[quote author=LilBobcatMom link=topic=74296.msg872454#msg872454 date=1286832030]

[size=14pt][color=red]Don't be that Daddy Ball coach who is putting his child in a position when he doesn't need to be [/color] [/size] playing there.  It's one thing to play that way in baseball, but in football, you're going to get your little guy hurt  :(.
[/quote]Alot of parents coach for that reason... ;D ;D ;D
[/quote]

Trust me, I know, lol.  But at least in baseball, it's just a detriment to the team.  In football, Junior's gonna get hurt.

Great post, although I would like to add, if a coach puts his time in, runs the practices, (babysits 2 to 3 days a week, deals with the parents complaints, game and practice schedules, setting up " somewhat" reluctant parents for concession duties, deals with the kids arguing, fighting, and horseplaying, and then stays late on game day to clean the fields/facilities after all of the other parents have taken " little Johnnie " home. You bet I have no problem or complaints of where his kid is playing.

And no I do not coach my kids.

[quote name="Yep" post="872942" timestamp="1286888876"]
Great post, although I would like to add, if a coach puts his time in, runs the practices, (babysits 2 to 3 days a week, deals with the parents complaints, game and practice schedules, setting up " somewhat" reluctant parents for concession duties, deals with the kids arguing, fighting, and horseplaying, and then stays late on game day to clean the fields/facilities after all of the other parents have taken " little Johnnie " home. You bet I have no problem or complaints of where his kid is playing.

And no I do not coach my kids.
[/quote]So don't put ur best player in a position (Qb, RB) because of his parents. Now that's wrong.

I can see Yeps point, and I do agree with it to an extent. But only to the point that they do not bring the whole team down. I have been on teams with both situations, ones that basically blew ANY chance their team had of winning by putting their child (and keeping them there) in a position they should not be playing. And also the other end where a coach places their child in a position that they should not be playing, but does so at a time and place that does not cause overall harm to the team and with this one I have no problem and agree with Yep that it should be a fruit of the spoils of coaching so to speak.

[quote name="teeboan" post="872381" timestamp="1286827444"]
Great post. After last Saturday I will never officiate another "little fella" football game because of the stands full of "That" parent. I have officated 249 sub varsity and 80 varsity games (I check my spreadsheet) many playoffs and have never felt unsafe leaving a field until Saturday. "That parent" in the stands was inciting his 8 yr olds to break the arm of the opposing 8 yr olds because they couldn't stop them. They SCREAMED for a flag every play that they couldn't defense. I used to work these games because it was fun to watch the little guys play and learn the game. Sorry, but when and 8 yr old tackle gets up out of his stance to pull out a wedgie, I'm not flagging him. When 8 yr olds break the huddle with 12, or 13 or 14 they are not trying to confuse or trick the defense, they are just trying to play ball. I stop the game, get the right number on and let them play. Regardless of what "That Parent" screams. I will no longer miss Saturdays with my family to be abused by That parent. We have our TASO meeting tonight and we are going in encourage the rest to stand down from them also. Just put somebody out there to spot the ball and let the kids play.
[/quote]

Teeboan, hang in there and don't give up on these kids.  I have been in your shoes (this past Sat., in fact) but keep in mind, these kids need positive role models in their lifes and yes, officials can be that.  It is obvious "That Parent" will not be able to do that for them.  Keep up the great work.

As I so often say "youth sports is fantastic until the adults get involved?" :'(

I agree bball, like I said I took a year off from (volunteer) umping because I got tired of hearing from THOSE parents, but in the long run I missed interacting with the kids. If the parents would stay out of it the kids could care less. Like I said you never hear a kid that loses a sand lot game say the other team was cheating or the umpires cost them the game, nor do you ever see forums like this one get so heated over a sand lot game.

I am totally NOT saying it's not the coach's prerogative to put any child in whatever position he wants.  I'm saying you shouldn't put your child into a position hoping to live out your glory days when he's not equipped to play that spot and there's a great potential for being hurt.

And if anyone's seen the size of our coach's kids, they KNOW I'm not referring to them, lol.

[quote]Well like teeboan said earlier, we had our TASO meeting tonight.  We do not discuss STJFL or other little league football organizations in our meetings.  We are trained on UIL rules and mechanics for sub varsity and varsity games.  After the meeting several officials had comments about postings on this site.  Do not be suprised when STJFL loses several senior officials that have been calling these games for years and will be starting this Saturday.  We put up with more BS from coaches and parents at this level than we do on the varsity level.  And at that level the coaches jobs are on the line and we do not even get near the flack we receive on Saturday's.  Just like Teeboan said earlier I might start just spending time with my family who appreciates instead of getting ridiculed all day.  We have a very strong organization and stand behind each other and I will hate to see parents officiate their games (on the other hand I might enjoy it, and just see if they know all the rules and can see everything that takes place on the field).  The only other officiating chapter close to hear is in Houston and they have three times jr league football organizations than our area and pretty sure they will not travel this far for the amount of money we get paid.  Like I said on other post,[b] we do not do this for the money[/b], we do it because we want to teach the kids rules and sportsmanship of the game.  This is our HOBBY!  I hope this does not get to ugly with our officials because I enjoy watching these kids grow and learn the game of football.[/quote] 

So you donate the money back to the league?

Good idea DC9 ! I just donated my money back to league because I just withdrew from my Saturday games and the rest of the season.  So far I am the 5th official (all senior officials 5+ years experience) to withdrawl from STJFL since the postings started Saturday.  The way it is looking you (the parents/coaches) will be donating your time officiating your kids the rest of the season.  This is including playoffs and superbowl.  Now I can spend time with my family and enjoy the rest of the football season.  I know of many more that will be following suit.  GOOD LUCK REST OF SEASON.  Let me know if you need an officiating book, I have an extra one (400 plus pages)

[quote name="AnonymousZebra" post="873504" timestamp="1286933719"]
Good idea DC9 ! I just donated my money back to league because I just withdrew from my Saturday games and the rest of the season.  So far I am the 5th official (all senior officials 5+ years experience) to withdrawl from STJFL since the postings started Saturday.  The way it is looking you (the parents/coaches) will be donating your time officiating your kids the rest of the season.  This is including playoffs and superbowl.  Now I can spend time with my family and enjoy the rest of the football season.  I know of many more that will be following suit.  GOOD LUCK REST OF SEASON.  Let me know if you need an officiating book, I have an extra one (400 plus pages)

[/quote]STJFL Parents  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

[IMG]http://i1106.photobucket.com/albums/h366/bryce4904/rules-1.jpg[/img]

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder