I can't seem to undersatnd why????

A question for other fans on this site!!!!  Central has had only 2 bad years in this district this decade and one so-so year (with a great playoff run).  Outside of this site they are rarely picked to be the best team in the district.  It is super funny to me that a team in this district can have one big year (PNG), maybe two (Lumberton) or tradition with no recent great years (Ned) and everyone immediately thinks that these teams are the new teams to gauge the district??????  Every year Central has to prove themselves all over again.  If this is not you don't get offended.  Most folks on this site always consider the Jags to be top 3, but most folks on here are also always ready to anoint a new number one without any recent longevity (PNG)?

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Central seems to change coaches every couple of years or so. No one expects a new coach to come in and do very well. PNG got a new coach last year and many people questioned if they could get very good the first year. Then they ended up undefeated but they still had their early doubters.

People's opinions don't mean much and Central has managed to overcome a few coaching changes. That is not the continuity like Nederland that has been the playoffs like 14 of the last 15 years and has an 18 year head coach.

Central has managed to do well without continuity at head coach but I understand people's opinion. Good for Central. They keep winning in spite of the revolving coach's door.

[quote name="tvc184" post="865402" timestamp="1286166204"]
Central seems to change coaches every couple of years or so. No one expects a new coach to come in and do very well. PNG got a new coach last year and many people questioned if they could get very good the first year. Then they ended up undefeated but they still had their early doubters.

People's opinions don't mean much and Central has managed to overcome a few coaching changes. That is not the continuity like Nederland that has been the playoffs like 14 of the last 15 years and has an 18 year head coach.

Central has managed to do well without continuity at head coach but I understand people's opinion. Good for Central. They keep winning in spite of the revolving coach's door.
[/quote]

Central has been in 4A since 2002 and has missed the playoffs twice, both as a result of the coaching carousel!  So I can see that as an issue. Still no one in this district has had a better playoff performance this decade.

[quote name="ABSENT!" post="865410" timestamp="1286166624"]

Central has been in 4A since 2002 and has missed the playoffs twice, both as a result of the coaching carousel!  So I can see that as an issue. Still no one in this district has had a better playoff performance this decade.
[/quote]

Not sure what you call a better playoff performance for the decade but I think that starting in 2000, Nederland has been to the quarterfinals 3 times and the semi-finals once. Has Central been to at least the quarterfinals more than 4 times in the last 10 years?

Central have been in this district since 2002.Since then, Nederland have only made it  to the first or scond round while Central have yet to lose in the first round  except once (2002) and Made 3 rounds deep in 2003, and last year... Not to mention the 4 round march in 2008...

[/quote]
tvc hit the nail on the head. Nobody in this area, especially district 20-4A looks past Central. As far as statewide recognition, the football writers and gurus rarely look at anything East of Houston. Central does not have the long, storied past that PNG does, and as PNG fans, we aren't going to let anyone forget it either! Just keep on winning and that will solve a lot of problems.
Soulja, please explain this burr under your saddle about "no discipline" I've read that about Ozen, but must have missed it about Central?

[/quote]very well said

[quote name="shovelhead" post="865454" timestamp="1286195802"]
[quote author=tvc184 link=topic=73939.msg865402#msg865402 date=1286166204]

[/quote]
tvc hit the nail on the head. Nobody in this area, especially district 20-4A looks past Central. As far as statewide recognition, the football writers and gurus rarely look at anything East of Houston. Central does not have the long, storied past that PNG does, and as PNG fans, we aren't going to let anyone forget it either! Just keep on winning and that will solve a lot of problems.
Soulja, please explain this burr under your saddle about "no discipline" I've read that about Ozen, but must have missed it about Central?
[/quote]Just a phrase I've heard over the years a lot since my team have been in the local district... Don't worry.  It's nothing...  ;) ;)

Luckily, Central's revolving door included defensive minded coaches starting with Suggs.  Second, they usually have their 4x100 relay team sprinkled on either offense or defense.  It's only when Central gets away from running downhill to trying to run the Spread is when they get in trouble offensively.  Despite their JV getting blownout by PAM week 1, they have numbers and promise coming in the future.  The HC may have changed during the years but the assistance have been constant.  Another plus....

[quote name="ABSENT!" post="865404" timestamp="1286166282"]
[quote author=BMTSoulja1 link=topic=73939.msg865401#msg865401 date=1286166143]
Because we have 'no discipline'...
[/quote]

;) ;D  I know what that is a synonym for... That maybe the answer, too!!!  Can't stand to see those "No-Disciplines" win!!!!
[/quote]

Are you saying that "no-discipline" is a synonym for not predominantly white?  If that's the case, then is the fact that central doesn't get equal respect as other programs an issue of race?  

Okay, everyone can now acknowledge the elephant in the room.

[quote name="the_dude_abides" post="865929" timestamp="1286236740"]
[quote author=ABSENT! link=topic=73939.msg865404#msg865404 date=1286166282]
[/quote]

;) ;D  I know what that is a synonym for... That maybe the answer, too!!!  Can't stand to see those "No-Disciplines" win!!!!
[/quote]

Are you saying that "no-discipline" is a synonym for not predominantly white?  If that's the case, then is the fact that central doesn't get equal respect as other programs an issue of race?  

[/quote]

For years on this board, especially this board, that was the code phrased used for schools that weren't in 'Real America'.  Now having experience in playing schools in 'Real America' with also watching football for 30 years, I can say without equivacation, there are undicipline players and or programs in both Americas.  It's funny to me, the same kids that get a knock on their discipline, continue to play beyond high school.  Also, those in 'Real America' often get the tag of taking 'enhancements' in order to compete with those in Not so Real America.  Of course, those of us who hurl those acusations get our postings deleted.  So moderators, please delete any posting good or bad using the word 'Discipline'.  It's only fair to those in Not-so-Real America....

[quote name="SFA85" post="865935" timestamp="1286237211"]
[quote author=the_dude_abides link=topic=73939.msg865929#msg865929 date=1286236740]
[quote author=ABSENT! link=topic=73939.msg865404#msg865404 date=1286166282]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

For years on this board, especially this board, that was the code phrased used for schools that weren't in 'Real America'.  Now having experience in playing schools in 'Real America' with also watching football for 30 years, I can say without equivacation, there are undicipline players and or programs in both Americas.  It's funny to me, the same kids that get a knock on their discipline, continue to play beyond high school.  Also, those in 'Real America' often get the tag of taking 'enhancements' in order to compete with those in Not so Real America.  Of course, those of us who hurl those acusations get our postings deleted.  So moderators, please delete any posting good or bad using the word 'Discipline'.  It's only fair to those in Not-so-Real America....
[/quote]

:'(

Such bitterness. ::)

The "no discipline" talk wasn't just on this board, I can vouch for that. ;)

SFA85, I do know what you are talking about though and it is very sad that some see it that way. But I refuse to let you lump this entire board with what a few(mostly mid-countyers ;)) say.

You judge just as unfairly as what you say others are doing.

Short, I agree with you. I also believe that your post was more about statewide media not giving the love than this site or local media's take on Central.

[quote name="SFA85" post="865968" timestamp="1286238772"]
Just merely making an observation.  Real Americans tend to cast judgement on those who don't think, look, nor act like them.....
[/quote]

Oh, I see. Your's is an "observation", their's is a "judgement". ;) ::)

I understand.