Lone Star Football

Yep

I believe there are good reasons not to allow 7th graders.  MOFO makes good points for allowing, but let's examine the other side.

1.  Puberty:  Boys in 7th grade hit this milestone somewhere around this age, some earlier, some later.  The point is that this event completely changes the physiological and physcological aspects of a player.  More aggressive, hits harder, stronger, etc.....  There is no comparison between a post 7th grader and a 10 year old 5th grader.

2.  Too much activity:  Most pediatricians will frown upon two sports at the same time at this age especially two contact sports.  Twice the practice time, twice the game time equates to greatly reduced time for the body to heal.  Additionally, how does the extra time on the practice field affect their school work.

3.  Fairness:  I brought this point up earliering.  It really does not make for a fair playing field when some schools encourage 7th grade participation and others discourage/disallow participation.  This is no fault of the local Lonestar program.  Any team will be better off with experienced 7th graders on a youth football team.  I believe MOFO mentioned that the 7th grade school football programs are in many cases not given proper attention with lack of coaches, short games, etc..  I personnally would prefer that the schools drop the 7th grade teams and let the local youth football program take these kids in.  I doubt that happens, so basically from a fairness perspective, I think Lonestar should follow suit with other leagues and allow up to 6th graders.

Just my thoughts.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sport70 I must agree with all of your points. As hard is that is for me to do LOL. I will say that on my team we are VERY careful on over practicing. Limited contact at our practices and I tell my kids school ball comes first.

By the way we OUTLASTED Warren tonight with a final score of HJ 7 Warren 6, every bit the battle that was expected. We got all of the kids together before the game in a circle alternating Warren player and HJ player and paid tribute to the 2 great local figures our area has lost in the past month Reggie and Coach Barbay then we took the field and the no holds bar battle was on. After the game it was right back to superb sportsmanship by both teams. This makes me proud to be associated with these fine athletes

Went to the HJ and Warren game last night. Watch some good football !!!!! It's about time that Flores  (Bull # 74) Copeland , Marsh, and Preeble have a good time those kid need a winning year. Those Hj boys are good kids with big hearts... I don't know those Boys from Lumberton but they have been a good thing for the TEAM. I hope this group of Kids continue to work hard and make a name for themself this year.  I look forward to watching these KIds grow into great ball players that truly love the game even more than they do now. We will take those Lumberton boys if the people from Lumberton don't want them it will only make HJ stronger...  I love the game and but most of all THE BOY"S OF FALL...... 

I'm pretty sure the Lord didnt assign puberty to 7th graders. A 12 year old is a 12 year old no matter what grade he is in. A 12 year old from Lumberton has been on the earth as long as a 12 year old from Sour Lake. Makes no difference. Thats how Lone Star looks at this situation. Kids get held back or wait another year and start school when they are 6 instead of 5. Some of those are eligable to play in STJFL, at least they used to be. Thats the difference in LJF and STJFL, Lonestar dont change the ages and weights and birthdates every year. Its not talent, Deweyville proved that 3 years ago when they beat West Orange. These forums are good to communicate and talk a little smack, but when you start degrading kids, someone needs to draw a line. I'm just sayin... Oh yea, GO HAWKS!!!!

[quote name="bedelmon" post="861699" timestamp="1285873534"]
I'm pretty sure the Lord didnt assign puberty to 7th graders. A 12 year old is a 12 year old no matter what grade he is in. A 12 year old from Lumberton has been on the earth as long as a 12 year old from Sour Lake. Makes no difference. Thats how Lone Star looks at this situation. Kids get held back or wait another year and start school when they are 6 instead of 5. Some of those are eligable to play in STJFL, at least they used to be. Thats the difference in LJF and STJFL, Lonestar dont change the ages and weights and birthdates every year. Its not talent, Deweyville proved that 3 years ago when they beat West Orange. These forums are good to communicate and talk a little smack, but when you start degrading kids, someone needs to draw a line. I'm just sayin... Oh yea, GO HAWKS!!!!
[/quote]we will beat the hawhs!!!!.......3yr are gone. . . . .beat that team NOW......WE are ALL about THE PROGRAM!!!!! The BIG PICTURE

[quote name="BIGWORM" post="862336" timestamp="1285936966"]
[quote author=bedelmon link=topic=73335.msg861699#msg861699 date=1285873534]
[/quote]we will beat the hawhs!!!!.......3yr are gone. . . . .beat that team NOW......WE are ALL about THE PROGRAM!!!!! The BIG PICTURE
[/quote]How old are you? Like 6???

I was told I should get on here and see what is going on.

I'm Mark Muckleroy. I was one of the original Founders of both of the leagues here. I now hold the positions of Coaches Representative for Lonestar and I am the founder and president for the Silsbee Association.  One of the original rules that we set down concerned ages. Five to twelve years old would be allowed to play. It is that simple. We do not distinguish between a 12 year old sixth grader or a 12 year old seventh grader. We leave that to the other league. The reasons that originally became an issue within the league that existed at that time had nothing to do with too much practice, homework, pediatricians, training or puberty. It had EVERYTHING to do with who could have 7th graders and who couldn't based on the school programs. Some schools, because of their athletic administration, will not allow anyone involved in their programs to be involved in any other program. Other programs feel that the more work the kid gets in that sport the better they will become. Those issues are outside the realm of what Lonestar considers. Since our inception as Southeast Texas Junior Football during the winter of 1999 we have only dealt with the idea of providing a service to the kids and parents of the area. We do not now, nor did we then, want to challenge the school systems that our kids feed into. Rather we wanted to help prepare and groom kids for greatness in their chosen sport. We respect the guidelines set down by our associated school districts but at the same time we are not going to turn away kids from one district that has no problem with a 12 year old playing in our league just because 12 year olds in another district are restricted by that district. We also do not decide what and how much is on the plate of the kids we serve. That is now and has always been the responsibility of the parents of those kids. They make those decisions. We hold firm to the idea that a 12 year old IS a 12 year old. We do not recognize puberty by association with a grade in school. On the contrary, we recognize that hormones have no respect for age, social status, placement in school or color of uniform. Lonestar Junior Football has no rules governing puberty, hormone displacement or hair on chest. By our rules, we accept anyone within our associations between the ages of 5 and 12 and anyone outside our league that has no league to play in. See how simple that is. No concern of the details. 5-12 years old qualifies.

On the issue of the kids that play in this league that aren't within the districts in question. Every child playing in our league has been cleared and sanctioned by the administration of the league to the best of our ability. Those on here and elsewhere that squeal about cheating and recruiting and false records insult the work done to try and make this as honest and transparent as possible. Answers about this situation were given to the folks that came to us and asked like adults. We have had kids from Lumberton come and play with us before this season and it has never been an issue. Those that would like to become private investigators that would check into the truth on birth certificates, school report cards and utility bills should apply to work for the league at the same rate of pay that we all get for doing this. In fact, by the power invested in me as the Coaches Representative of Lonestar Junior Football I can guarantee that I will see to it that you get DOUBLE what each of the Board members and officers of the local Associations gets. How can you refuse an offer to work your tail off, endure lots of gripes with few thank-you's and dedicate every weekend for months on end. If this sounds like something that you have been itching to do then please apply today and become part of the solution....

....or sit in front of the computer squirting out stuff you know nothing about and be part of the problem.  

I am easy to find. My contact info is all over our website. I am always available to answer any question concerning any issue that may come up from anyone associated with any league. If I don't know the answer, I will find it. If there is a problem I will deal with it. Give us a chance to do that before spouting out rumor, innuendo and total BS about people doing volunteer work for the kids. That's why I came on here to set the record straight.

Mark Muckleroy
Coaches Representative
Lonestar Junior Football
and friend of Clyde    

Mark you have always done a great job in your leagues. The Bulls enjoyed playing for Lone Star, but made a decision to move to TIFI. They did not mind playing 7th graders, just getting them ready to play with the big boys in Middle School and High School. You have to play older kids then.  Good luck to you Sir.

[quote name="mwmuck" post="862408" timestamp="1285943004"]

I'm Mark Muckleroy. I was one of the original Founders of both of the leagues here. I now hold the positions of Coaches Representative for Lonestar and I am the founder and president for the Silsbee Association.  One of the original rules that we set down concerned ages. Five to twelve years old would be allowed to play. It is that simple. We do not distinguish between a 12 year old sixth grader or a 12 year old seventh grader. We leave that to the other league. The reasons that originally became an issue within the league that existed at that time had nothing to do with too much practice, homework, pediatricians, training or puberty. It had EVERYTHING to do with who could have 7th graders and who couldn't based on the school programs. Some schools, because of their athletic administration, will not allow anyone involved in their programs to be involved in any other program. Other programs feel that the more work the kid gets in that sport the better they will become. Those issues are outside the realm of what Lonestar considers. Since our inception as Southeast Texas Junior Football during the winter of 1999 we have only dealt with the idea of providing a service to the kids and parents of the area. We do not now, nor did we then, want to challenge the school systems that our kids feed into. Rather we wanted to help prepare and groom kids for greatness in their chosen sport. We respect the guidelines set down by our associated school districts but at the same time we are not going to turn away kids from one district that has no problem with a 12 year old playing in our league just because 12 year olds in another district are restricted by that district. We also do not decide what and how much is on the plate of the kids we serve. That is now and has always been the responsibility of the parents of those kids. They make those decisions. We hold firm to the idea that a 12 year old IS a 12 year old. We do not recognize puberty by association with a grade in school. On the contrary, we recognize that hormones have no respect for age, social status, placement in school or color of uniform. Lonestar Junior Football has no rules governing puberty, hormone displacement or hair on chest. By our rules, we accept anyone within our associations between the ages of 5 and 12 and anyone outside our league that has no league to play in. See how simple that is. No concern of the details. 5-12 years old qualifies.

[b]On the issue of the kids that play in this league that aren't within the districts in question. Every child playing in our league has been cleared and sanctioned by the administration of the league to the best of our ability. Those on here and elsewhere that squeal about cheating and recruiting and false records insult the work done to try and make this as honest and transparent as possible. Answers about this situation were given to the folks that came to us and asked like adults. We have had kids from Lumberton come and play with us before this season and it has never been an issue. Those that would like to become private investigators that would check into the truth on birth certificates, school report cards and utility bills should apply to work for the league at the same rate of pay that we all get for doing this. In fact, by the power invested in me as the Coaches Representative of Lonestar Junior Football I can guarantee that I will see to it that you get DOUBLE what each of the Board members and officers of the local Associations gets. How can you refuse an offer to work your tail off, endure lots of gripes with few thank-you's and dedicate every weekend for months on end. If this sounds like something that you have been itching to do then please apply today and become part of the solution....[/b]

....or sit in front of the computer squirting out stuff you know nothing about and be part of the problem.  

I am easy to find. My contact info is all over our website. I am always available to answer any question concerning any issue that may come up from anyone associated with any league. If I don't know the answer, I will find it. If there is a problem I will deal with it. Give us a chance to do that before spouting out rumor, innuendo and total BS about people doing volunteer work for the kids. That's why I came on here to set the record straight.

Mark Muckleroy
Coaches Representative
Lonestar Junior Football
and friend of Clyde    
[/quote]
Mr Muckleroy,

after so many years have gone by, explain to me why the Beaumont Bulls Senior team was the only team kicked out of the league that year(2005)....we never got any explanation....we had 5th graders, 6th graders and two 7th graders....on that team....nothing happened after we went to Deweville and scrimmaged(Deweville scored twice and we may have scored once)....the following week we go to the jamboree in Winnie and score 7 times to none!(DEWEVILLE was all 7th graders that year)....after that, the next day, we cheated?....because we executed that day and Deweville did not?

Can we explain that one after 5 yrs?...because I contacted everyone and there brother and didn't get anything, all our kids were sanctioned, checked, and so forth... .....those 25 KIDS were the ones that lost the most in that deal. 

[quote name="SgtRey" post="862493" timestamp="1285949108"]
[quote author=mwmuck link=topic=73335.msg862408#msg862408 date=1285943004]

[b]On the issue of the kids that play in this league that aren't within the districts in question. Every child playing in our league has been cleared and sanctioned by the administration of the league to the best of our ability. Those on here and elsewhere that squeal about cheating and recruiting and false records insult the work done to try and make this as honest and transparent as possible. Answers about this situation were given to the folks that came to us and asked like adults. We have had kids from Lumberton come and play with us before this season and it has never been an issue. Those that would like to become private investigators that would check into the truth on birth certificates, school report cards and utility bills should apply to work for the league at the same rate of pay that we all get for doing this. In fact, by the power invested in me as the Coaches Representative of Lonestar Junior Football I can guarantee that I will see to it that you get DOUBLE what each of the Board members and officers of the local Associations gets. How can you refuse an offer to work your tail off, endure lots of gripes with few thank-you's and dedicate every weekend for months on end. If this sounds like something that you have been itching to do then please apply today and become part of the solution....[/b]

Mark Muckleroy
Coaches Representative
Lonestar Junior Football
and friend of Clyde    
[/quote]
Mr Muckleroy,

[size=12pt][color=red]after so many years have gone by, explain to me why the Beaumont Bulls Senior team was the only team kicked out of the league that year(2005)....we never got any explanation....[/color][/size]we had 5th graders, 6th graders and two 7th graders....on that team....nothing happened after we went to Deweville and scrimmaged(Deweville scored twice and we may have scored once)....the following week we go to the jamboree in Winnie and score 7 times to none!(DEWEVILLE was all 7th graders that year)....after that, the next day, we cheated?....because we executed that day and Deweville did not?

[size=12pt][color=red]Can we explain that one after 5 yrs?...because I contacted everyone and there brother and didn't get anything, all our kids were sanctioned, checked, and so forth... .....those 25 KIDS were the ones that lost the most in that deal.[/color][/size] 

[/quote]

[quote name="mwmuck" post="862408" timestamp="1285943004"]

On the issue of the kids that play in this league that aren't within the districts in question. Every child playing in our league has been cleared and sanctioned by the administration of the league to the best of our ability. Those on here and elsewhere that squeal about cheating and recruiting and false records insult the work done to try and make this as honest and transparent as possible. Answers about this situation were given to the folks that came to us and asked like adults. We have had kids from Lumberton come and play with us before this season and it has never been an issue. Those that would like to become private investigators that would check into the truth on birth certificates, school report cards and utility bills should apply to work for the league at the same rate of pay that we all get for doing this. In fact, by the power invested in me as the Coaches Representative of Lonestar Junior Football I can guarantee that I will see to it that you get DOUBLE what each of the Board members and officers of the local Associations gets. How can you refuse an offer to work your tail off, endure lots of gripes with few thank-you's and dedicate every weekend for months on end. If this sounds like something that you have been itching to do then please apply today and become part of the solution....

Mark Muckleroy
Coaches Representative
Lonestar Junior Football
and friend of Clyde    
[/quote] ;D ;D ;D ;D...Clyde...to funny...

The issue with the Beaumont Bulls SR team was one of tougher decisions we have had to make. We wanted Beaumont to be able to enter league play with us and give the kids from Beaumont an alternative to Pop Warner or playing select ball with TIFI. In opening negotiations with the people that were trying to form the Beaumont association we told them that we are basically a small school organization and that perhaps STJFL might be a better fit since they have many large school organizations and accept the idea of putting all the good kids on one team. We were assured that they had investigated that option and had decided to come with us. In our initial discussions the ground rules were that the teams would be of equal talent and from a narrow field of schools. Stacked, hand-picked or A-B-C teams would create a problem. It is very important that idea is followed since most of the elementary schools in our association compare, numbers-wise, with each of the four elementary schools that Beaumont would be bringing kids in from. The opportunity to combine kids from different schools to make a very talented team was foremost on our minds and in our discussions. We revisited that idea with Beaumont consistently and were assured that TIFI all-stars would not happen. Then we are faced with a TIFI Sr team. After expecting that Beaumont would get out and get a Sr team of kids from the designated schools we ended up with basically the same team that had traveled with TIFI the year before. The hand-picked group. That was not cool. As for calling everyone and their brother, your two leaders knew what the deal was. We had discussed what the problem was with them at length. They could have answered you. I could have answered you though I do not remember ever getting a call. Your leaders understood and knew what had happened to make us take the steps we did and had told us that they had seen it coming. We didn't see that happen with the other Beaumont teams and they had a stellar year and we even had the Super Bowl in Beaumont that year. All of the Board understood that you wanted to keep your TIFI team together but it would have been unfair to a whole lot more kids in our league to allow a select team to compete. Secondly, Deweyville has never been all 7th graders and no team in our league has ever been comprised of all 7th graders. After scrimmaging Deweyville, Clyde said that he had never seen a pee wee club with that much talent and Clyde would know. No one said that you cheated. No one begrudged your desire to keep your select team together but we would have been derelict in our duty to all the kids in the league to turn that hand-picked team loose against league teams. It would have been wrong. We pleaded with Beaumont to split their select talent before we even started and it appeared that they did....everywhere but the lone Sr team.

This may not have been what you wanted to hear but it should have been known to you years ago. I'm sorry you were never told by your president. He knew.

By the way, your son has done well at WB.

mark

Guest trashman
Seems like the good ole boy system to me! You scratch my back and I won't tell on yours!  Now that this has made headlines I just wanted to say that if you can stop the Bulls from being a part of your league because of high talent then how can you let select teams hand pick kids to play on their teams because they may say they don't play school boy or their league would not let them in! Hmmm! Sounds one sided to me. Question? Did you allow or inform every team in your league this was a possible option? Not my problem, but if I was a Coach of one of your teams in your league I would definitely want to know why? Just playing Devil's advocate! Every kid deserves the same level of play! Every team deserves the same options. There should be some type of clause in your by-laws! How is this really fair to the other teams in your league if you don't offer the same type of options out loud or in black and white? Just saying. Last I heard honesty is your best policy. This is just a board for discussion not saying anyones kid is any better than the next but its always the adults that take the fun out or change the rules to suit themselves.

You ain't listening Trash. Perhaps you don't want to hear the truth. I'll write this very slowly so that maybe you will understand it this time. We ALLOW kids from other places to play with our Associations by decision of the Board before the season. EVERY Association has the same right to go before the Board and ask for anything. It doesn't mean that we will grant it but if it is in our guidelines or we have a precedent set in that instance then we do what we can to work with the Association making the request. It's no dark secret. HJ did that. They followed the rules that we have been working under since the inception of the league. Kids had nowhere to play. The Association followed the rules. We granted them the ability to sign up those kids and I would do the same thing for any other Association that asked for it. Do you think this is the first variance we have granted, Trash? Is this something new to you? Well it ain't for us. It happens in one or more Associations every year. It happened in three of ours this year. Live with it. Situations and circumstances happen when you deal with humans that do not fit in a nice, neat box. That's why we listen to the folks that volunteer in this organization and help when we can. The people on the Board have forgotten more about running this organization than you will ever know and that is why I can come on here and speak with knowledge and experience and you can come on here and spew accusations and speak of things you know nothing about while showing your own ignorance of the subject to everyone here. In the meantime, back off HJ, they've done nothing wrong. You want to blame someone then blame me, take a number and wait in line with everyone else. 

Guest trashman
;D ;D Let's see? Using the words "Ain't". Lets see "Trash" sounds a lil good ole boy to me! Say it how you will I read your bylaws just out of curiosity and there is nothing about bring your larger school kids here and we will let them play. It says something like smaller communities helping smaller schools etc. Well, obviously you cannot be an adult about this without calling names. I hope the rest of the Board is not as angry  as you. By the way, last I checked , America is the land of freedom of speech. I can understand about the 7th graders to an extent but the other divisions hmmmm? Hey calling all Lonestar Teams check with the fearless board next year and maybe you can too recruit from the Beaumont bull who don't let 7th graders play. Or would that be stacking a team? Hmmmmm?

I've explained it every way I know how. I haven't called any names. You are accusing good people of doing things under the table. You are accusing people of lying and going against the rules. I have tried to explain but some folks do not care to hear the truth if it doesn't fit their preconceived idea of reality. Fine. Let's try it this way:

I'm to blame. I personally stacked HJ's team with fifty Lumberton gorillas so that they could win a pee wee football game. I'm guilty as charged. You win, Trash. I couldn't sneak anything past ol' dead-eye. Why, if it weren't for Lumberton kids that we recruit, we wouldn't know which end of the football sticks in the tee. But wait 'till next year when we recruit kids from Pt Neches to play for HF and kids from Nederland to play for EC. My personal favorite will be recruiting Vidor kids to go play in.....VIDOR!! I'm just glad you didn't find out about the Kountze kids that play for Silsbee or the Little Cypress kids that play for MV and DV. That would have been the end of Lonestar as we know it.

[quote name="mwmuck" post="862632" timestamp="1285958902"]
The issue with the Beaumont Bulls SR team was one of tougher decisions we have had to make. We wanted Beaumont to be able to enter league play with us and give the kids from Beaumont an alternative to Pop Warner or playing select ball with TIFI. In opening negotiations with the people that were trying to form the Beaumont association we told them that we are basically a small school organization and that perhaps STJFL might be a better fit since they have many large school organizations and accept the idea of putting all the good kids on one team. We were assured that they had investigated that option and had decided to come with us. In our initial discussions the ground rules were that the teams would be of equal talent and from a narrow field of schools. Stacked, hand-picked or A-B-C teams would create a problem. It is very important that idea is followed since most of the elementary schools in our association compare, numbers-wise, with each of the four elementary schools that Beaumont would be bringing kids in from. The opportunity to combine kids from different schools to make a very talented team was foremost on our minds and in our discussions. We revisited that idea with Beaumont consistently and were assured that TIFI all-stars would not happen. Then we are faced with a TIFI Sr team. After expecting that Beaumont would get out and get a Sr team of kids from the designated schools we ended up with basically the same team that had traveled with TIFI the year before. The hand-picked group. That was not cool. As for calling everyone and their brother, your two leaders knew what the deal was. We had discussed what the problem was with them at length. They could have answered you. I could have answered you though I do not remember ever getting a call. Your leaders understood and knew what had happened to make us take the steps we did and had told us that they had seen it coming. We didn't see that happen with the other Beaumont teams and they had a stellar year and we even had the Super Bowl in Beaumont that year. All of the Board understood that you wanted to keep your TIFI team together but it would have been unfair to a whole lot more kids in our league to allow a select team to compete. Secondly, Deweyville has never been all 7th graders and no team in our league has ever been comprised of all 7th graders. After scrimmaging Deweyville, Clyde said that he had never seen a pee wee club with that much talent and Clyde would know. No one said that you cheated. No one begrudged your desire to keep your select team together but we would have been derelict in our duty to all the kids in the league to turn that hand-picked team loose against league teams. It would have been wrong. We pleaded with Beaumont to split their select talent before we even started and it appeared that they did....everywhere but the lone Sr team.

This may not have been what you wanted to hear but it should have been known to you years ago. I'm sorry you were never told by your president. He knew.

By the way, your son has done well at WB.

mark
[/quote]
Thanx, my son and his fellow team mates work really hard...Just so you know, that team was not hand picked, or select, etc...we have sign ups just like everyone else does....how would anyone even be able to select kids for a football team?  football is a sport of character and heart(for the successful teams)....you can't just waltz in to a school and pick that.....we had a great coaching staff and a great group of kids, you all know as well as I do, every once in a  while a special group of kids come through and grow up together....that is one of those special groups.

nobody recruited or went out and scouted....as a matter of fact, that was the first year those kids had played together....they have been reunited at WB as of this year.

Just because Clyde hadn't seen a team execute plays the QB had been running since he was 7, means absolutely nothing....

Well, now I know, and the reason is as I suspected..... ::)....

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    kinghoyn
    Newest Member
    kinghoyn