FBS requirements

UNLV

[quote name="TexasTerror" post="839985" timestamp="1283718040"]
[quote author=NorthoftheBorder link=topic=72544.msg839900#msg839900 date=1283710632]I am sure Dr. Simmons & Tidwell understand these requirements and are putting together a strategic plan.  Looks like 5/25/2011 is when will will submit our application.[/quote]

Is that a date you just pulled out of a thin air? Curious...
[/quote]

Good question. North what is with 05/25/2011?

[quote name="bigred360" post="840000" timestamp="1283719244"]
Thanks Javelina for the clarification here.
[/quote]

I do what I can. 

Also I would love to see Lamar FBS but dont want to get in to deep to fast.  Sure LU will take lumps early if they go FBS but I also know this area is win or we will find someone who will.  I just hope no matter what Lamar decides to do that this Area will support them.  I would love to hear people say they got turned away from a game because there was no more room in the stadium.

Just curious why Lamar, a small commuter college in a small city, would want to go DI anyway. I would think the lack of success among the Louisiana schools (Lafayette/Monroe, etc.) would be enough reason to avoid this, at least for right now. It just seems pre-mature to me. LU has a shot at building a top notch I-AA program. Why bite off more than they can chew? Give the fans a chance to be part of a winning tradition (fill the seats, etc.) before you submit an application to what will be a sure blood fest for years to come. If you want to see empty seats at Cardinal Stadium, go DI too fast. We have proven time and again that we are fair-weather fans who flock when things are good and hide when they're not. Give the fans something to flock to for a few years, maybe forever...before jumping into the abyss. Just my two cents! God bless!

[quote name="LR1969" post="840061" timestamp="1283726546"]
Just curious why Lamar, a small commuter college in a small city, would want to go DI anyway. I would think the lack of success among the Louisiana schools (Lafayette/Monroe, etc.) would be enough reason to avoid this, at least for right now. It just seems pre-mature to me. LU has a shot at building a top notch I-AA program. Why bite off more than they can chew? Give the fans a chance to be part of a winning tradition (fill the seats, etc.) before you submit an application to what will be a sure blood fest for years to come. If you want to see empty seats at Cardinal Stadium, go DI too fast. We have proven time and again that we are fair-weather fans who flock when things are good and hide when they're not. Give the fans something to flock to for a few years, maybe forever...before jumping into the abyss. Just my two cents! God bless!
[/quote]

Lamar is already DI and play in the FCS sub-division.  Lamar has over 15,000 students and Beaumont has over 100,000 residents.

I'm sure Lamar won't go FBS for the next few years but if and when they do the program will recieve larger payouts to travel to BCS schools. Then I'm sure there will be plenty of people wanting to see Lamar versus other FBS programs who won't come to a FCS school but will if they are FBS. Just my opinion. God Bless you too.

[quote name="TexasTerror" post="839985" timestamp="1283718040"]
[quote author=NorthoftheBorder link=topic=72544.msg839900#msg839900 date=1283710632]I am sure Dr. Simmons & Tidwell understand these requirements and are putting together a strategic plan.  Looks like 5/25/2011 is when will will submit our application.[/quote]

Is that a date you just pulled out of a thin air? Curious...
[/quote]

Javelina is correct, the regs say that you have to apply by June1 of the year before you start complying with the requirements.  TT, you know that it is my hope that LU will go FBS so that was again my hope of what will happen, not inside knowledge of what will happen.  it is interesting that I haven't seen anywhere on here about your thoughts on last nights game.

I think Lamar will attempt to go FBS in a few years if (1) season ticket sales are in the 10K range, (2) enrollment keeps increasing at least 2% a year, (3) they average at least 15K per year, (4) they get a few more big donors to help with expanding the stadium, (5) they feel they can get the athletic budget up to $15 million within 4 years, and (6) they get a FBS conference invite.

[/quote]

I think that Dr. Simmons is working hard to change the commuter school image and I expect that more dorms will be built over the next 5 years.  We could see as many as 5k students living on campus over the next 5-10 yrs.

What is this years season ticket sales so far? I heard some one say there is only 1500 left in walkup so curious how we are doing. If the McNeese game is any indication( and I was there also) I am more concerned about tickets being available than us not selling. I think the Lamar fans (and community) have realized and know what we lost for 21 years and so proud of the first class way we have returned. So not worried about ticket sales in the slightest.

I definitely think that long term FBS is the way to go, and just looking objectively from a far see the pieces falling into place..the foundation is building.

[quote name="bigred360" post="840090" timestamp="1283728601"]
[quote author=LR1969 link=topic=72544.msg840061#msg840061 date=1283726546]
[/quote]

Lamar is already DI and play in the FCS sub-division.  Lamar has over 15,000 students and Beaumont has over 100,000 residents.

I'm sure Lamar won't go FBS for the next few years but if and when they do the program will recieve larger payouts to travel to BCS schools. Then I'm sure there will be plenty of people wanting to see Lamar versus other FBS programs who won't come to a FCS school but will if they are FBS. Just my opinion. God Bless you too.
[/quote]

First off...Thanks for not calling me a moron, idiot, lunatic, etc. for throwing out an opinion. I find that rare on this board lately. It seems any time you state an opinion, someone is going to jump on you and try to lure you into a 5th grade debate...ha!

That said...when I said DI, I meant FBS..I just don't like the whole FBS, FCS crap. Lamar is, for all intent and purposes, still a DI-AA school, not DI (regardless of whether it's called FCS or DI-AA...you know what I mean). I'm still living in the past on that one...ha! And waiting for the day the BCS collapses (it's coming) and we return to the original labels.

Also, I'm aware of the monetary reasons for going DI. I just don't see LU having success at that level in my lifetime. Seems like a long road to venture down with a lot of pain and disappointment along the way. The Cards could always fill their non-conference schedule with as many FBS schools as they can and rake in that money...McNeese will be doing so next week after their game with LSU.

Either way. It's not up to me. Just throwing out my opinion! God bless!

[/quote]UL-Monroe was making 50k in profits after FBS...Let me be clear, the whole athletic program.

[quote name="LR1969" post="840293" timestamp="1283779021"]That said...when I said DI, I meant FBS..I just don't like the whole FBS, FCS crap. Lamar is, for all intent and purposes, still a DI-AA school, not DI (regardless of whether it's called FCS or DI-AA...you know what I mean). I'm still living in the past on that one...ha! And waiting for the day the BCS collapses (it's coming) and we return to the original labels.[/quote]

At least, keep in mind that Lamar is (or will be) eligible for the NCAA Division I national championship in football as a member of the Football Championship Subdivision (FCS). The same can not be said for the Texas, USC, Florida, LSU type schools who compete solely for a crystal ball, not recognized by the NCAA. ;)

[quote author=UNLV link=topic=72544.msg840295#msg840295 date=1283779686]UL-Monroe was making 50k in profits after FBS...Let me be clear, the whole athletic program.[/quote]

ULM's athletic program has completely fallen off since taking all their sports to the Sun Belt. They finished dead last in the Vic Bubas Cup for all-around sports performance of schools and have since their arrival (amongst schools that compete in the full allotment of SBC sports). Their budget would not be tops in the SLC and I figure, they'd struggle to compete in the SLC on a consistent basis nowadays as well...

Your men's basketball program is already in the dumps at Lamar compared to where you would like it to be. If you think it is bad now, a move to an FBS conference would probably put to bed any chance the Cards had at building a respectable program again, even by mid-major standards. Just my opinion...

[quote name="TexasTerror" post="840301" timestamp="1283781565"]
[quote author=LR1969 link=topic=72544.msg840293#msg840293 date=1283779021]That said...when I said DI, I meant FBS..I just don't like the whole FBS, FCS crap. Lamar is, for all intent and purposes, still a DI-AA school, not DI (regardless of whether it's called FCS or DI-AA...you know what I mean). I'm still living in the past on that one...ha! And waiting for the day the BCS collapses (it's coming) and we return to the original labels.[/quote]

At least, keep in mind that Lamar is (or will be) eligible for the NCAA Division I national championship in football as a member of the Football Championship Subdivision (FCS). The same can not be said for the Texas, USC, Florida, LSU type schools who compete solely for a crystal ball, not recognized by the NCAA. ;)

[quote author=UNLV link=topic=72544.msg840295#msg840295 date=1283779686]UL-Monroe was making 50k in profits after FBS...Let me be clear, the whole athletic program.[/quote]

ULM's athletic program has completely fallen off since taking all their sports to the Sun Belt. They finished dead last in the Vic Bubas Cup for all-around sports performance of schools and have since their arrival (amongst schools that compete in the full allotment of SBC sports). Their budget would not be tops in the SLC and I figure, they'd struggle to compete in the SLC on a consistent basis nowadays as well...

Your men's basketball program is already in the dumps at Lamar compared to where you would like it to be. If you think it is bad now, a move to an FBS conference would probably put to bed any chance the Cards had at building a respectable program again, even by mid-major standards. Just my opinion...
[/quote]

Very much agree on the playoff comment. At least, at the DI-AA (FCS) level, someone with a brain exists to keep the playoff format alive. In I-AA, the championship is determined on the field, not by sportswriters/coaches (and the computer rankings derived from the opinions of these same sportswriters/coaches).

McNeese is a shining example of why LU should stay I-AA (FCS). The Cowboys benefitted greatly when LU dropped its program because it's recruiting ground doubled in size. Granted, LU has probably sliced that a bit now but if anyone thinks LU is going to recruit at the DI (FBS) level against UT, A&M, Texas Tech, Baylor, UH, etc. then I've got some "high" land to sell you in the Sabine river bottom. It will never happen. LU will be stuck in a sub-par conference (Sunbelt, etc.) with no chance of competing outside that conference and with their only hope being that someday they may get a chance to play in the Independence Bowl (if all of the Louisiana schools suck wind that year..ha).

Not trying to take the air out of the LU comeback. I'm excited...especially after the performance against McNeese but I just can't see why anyone would want to "move too fast" towards what would probably be a big "mistake". Give it time and let's see what LU can accomplish at the FCS level first.

One question about this...maybe someone can clear it up...Isn't there a stadium capacity requirement for FBS? I was under the impression it was somewhere in the 30,000 range and a school had to have an average attendance of some number before they could even apply to become FBS. God Bless!

[quote name="TexasTerror" post="840301" timestamp="1283781565"]
[quote author=LR1969 link=topic=72544.msg840293#msg840293 date=1283779021]That said...when I said DI, I meant FBS..I just don't like the whole FBS, FCS crap. Lamar is, for all intent and purposes, still a DI-AA school, not DI (regardless of whether it's called FCS or DI-AA...you know what I mean). I'm still living in the past on that one...ha! And waiting for the day the BCS collapses (it's coming) and we return to the original labels.[/quote]

[/quote]As if Terror cares if LU can win a national title. So let me translate this post for you.

"Oh please please Lamar, don't leave the SLC. We NEED you. I'm begging"

[quote name="LR1969" post="840320" timestamp="1283785541"]

Very much agree on the playoff comment. At least, at the DI-AA (FCS) level, someone with a brain exists to keep the playoff format alive. In I-AA, the championship is determined on the field, not by sportswriters/coaches (and the computer rankings derived from the opinions of these same sportswriters/coaches).
[/quote]
Stop being so naive. Terror insults you and every Cardinal fan with a smile and you only see the smile. Terror is not for anything positive for LU.
[quote]
McNeese is a shining example of why LU should stay I-AA (FCS). The Cowboys benefitted greatly when LU dropped its program because it's recruiting ground doubled in size. Granted, LU has probably sliced that a bit now but if anyone thinks LU is going to recruit at the DI (FBS) level against UT, A&M, Texas Tech, Baylor, UH, etc. then I've got some "high" land to sell you in the Sabine river bottom. It will never happen. LU will be stuck in a sub-par conference (Sunbelt, etc.) with no chance of competing outside that conference and with their only hope being that someday they may get a chance to play in the Independence Bowl (if all of the Louisiana schools suck wind that year..ha).
[/quote]
How the heck you know what LU is capable of doing or not doing. Just because school X failed doesn't mean school Y will. You always point out
the failed schools but never point out the successful schools. Is this how you approach life for yourself. Well ole willy dropped out of college so I might
as well not waste my time too. Ofcourse you don not apply that to yourself, so don't apply it to LU
[quote]
Not trying to take the air out of the LU comeback. I'm excited...especially after the performance against McNeese but I just can't see why anyone would want to "move too fast" towards what would probably be a big "mistake". Give it time and let's see what LU can accomplish at the FCS level first.

One question about this...maybe someone can clear it up...Isn't there a stadium capacity requirement for FBS? I was under the impression it was somewhere in the 30,000 range and a school had to have an average attendance of some number before they could even apply to become FBS. God Bless!
[/quote]What part of FBS invites only do you not understand? 5 to 10 years from now FBS will not stop operations because LU is
ready to go FBS. If LU get an invite, it can come tomorrow or  20 years or never. This is not LU decision. LU only decides if to take the invitation
or reject it.

[quote name="UNLV" post="840433" timestamp="1283797142"]
[quote author=LR1969 link=topic=72544.msg840320#msg840320 date=1283785541]

[/quote]
Stop being so naive. Terror insults you and every Cardinal fan with a smile and you only see the smile. Terror is not for anything positive for LU.
[quote]
[/quote]
How the heck you know what LU is capable of doing or not doing. Just because school X failed doesn't mean school Y will. You always point out
the failed schools but never point out the successful schools. Is this how you approach life for yourself. Well ole willy dropped out of college so I might
as well not waste my time too. Ofcourse you don not apply that to yourself, so don't apply it to LU
[quote]

[/quote]What part of FBS invites only do you not understand? 5 to 10 years from now FBS will not stop operations because LU is
ready to go FBS. If LU get an invite, it can come tomorrow or  20 years or never. This is not LU decision. LU only decides if to take the invitation
or reject it.
[/quote]

Man...I'm going to have to get an interpreter and get back with you on all of that. It made no sense at all. Not even going to try to address it except to say that I am aware of how the process works (just wanted clarification on the stadium capacity requirements) and I do not think LU should try to move forward, etc. Just an opinion. Lastly, if it's a matter of FBS inviting Lamar then this discussion is probably moot anyway because I doubt that will ever happen. God bless!

P.S. This will be the end of my discussion of this topic. It looks like it's going south and I'd rather not go there. Take care!

[quote name="LR1969" post="840293" timestamp="1283779021"]
That said...when I said DI, I meant FBS..I just don't like the whole FBS, FCS crap. Lamar is, for all intent and purposes, still a DI-AA school, not DI (regardless of whether it's called FCS or DI-AA...you know what I mean). I'm still living in the past on that one...ha! And waiting for the day the BCS collapses (it's coming) and we return to the original labels.

[/quote]
I don't like the FBS FCS stuff either and think the DI-AA and DI-A is more descriptive for the football subdivisions for DI.  But I understand why they changed the name.  To many people "out of the know" were getting DI-AA confused with Division II  

[quote]
Man...I'm going to have to get an interpreter and get back with you on all of that. It made no sense at all. Not even going to try to address it except to say that I am aware of how the process works (just wanted clarification on the stadium capacity requirements) and I do not think LU should try to move forward, etc. Just an opinion. Lastly, if it's a matter of FBS inviting Lamar then this discussion is probably moot anyway because I doubt that will ever happen. God bless!

P.S. This will be the end of my discussion of this topic. It looks like it's going south and I'd rather not go there. Take care!
[/quote]If you do not want LU to move up is your opinion. Ok fine, I disagree. It's when you throw around flawed logic like
ULM couldn't, therefore Lamar can't.

[quote name="smith" post="840508" timestamp="1283803730"]I don't like the FBS FCS stuff either and think the DI-AA and DI-A is more descriptive for the football subdivisions for DI.  But I understand why they changed the name.  [b]To many people "out of the know" were getting DI-AA confused with Division II [/b] [/quote]

Correct... and there's no question that the Southland, Missouri Valley, MEAC, Big Sky, etc. do not play Division II basketball, baseball, etc.  The FCS schools were being recruited against in non-football sports because they were referred to as Division II schools.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami