A Question...

Could someone explain exactly what makes a team a "Gold" team as opposed to a 16U or 18U or whatever. I am so confused by this. Is this just something that any team can be? Does a team have to win at a certain level? If a team is "gold" can they play regular 18U tournaments? I noticed there were gold teams mixed in with others on the IFA National thread when the results were posted. So, does "gold" only pertain to a certain sanctioning body? Can somebody that understands all of this please explain it to me?

"Gold" is a ASA term.  It is kind of like A vs. B ball...it's a classification.  The ultimate 18u tournament is the gold tournament.  You must qualify to play in the ASA gold  National tournament.  It is supposed to be the highest level of play.  I'm sure this an incomplete explanation maybe someone will give you a complete answer.

Sincerely,
Mrs. T12 or 9 or whoever we are these days

PS  If I just stepped into some kind of argument....I just took the question at face value.  There may be a reason no one answered...I did not intend to "stir".

I'll take a shot......What does it take to be a "Gold" team.....put gold in your name or on your uni.  That's about it.

Anyone or team can call themselves Gold.  Proof is always on the field if you are truely worthy to match up with best 18U teams.
ASA does have rules regarding players who play in Gold qualifying tournaments.  I believe if a player plays in an ASA gold qualifying tournament then that player can ONLY play in ASA gold qualifying tournaments for the remainder of that year (thus could not play 18 or 16 under ASA tournaments).

Hope this helps.

[quote name="Tigers9" post="824242" timestamp="1281412997"]
"Gold" is a ASA term.  It is kind of like A vs. B ball...it's a classification.  The ultimate 18u tournament is the gold tournament.  You must qualify to play in the ASA gold  National tournament.  It is supposed to be the highest level of play.  I'm sure this an incomplete explanation maybe someone will give you a complete answer.

Sincerely,
Mrs. T12 or 9 or whoever we are these days

PS  If I just stepped into some kind of argument....I just took the question at face value.  There may be a reason no one answered...I did not intend to "stir".
[/quote]

Thank you, Mrs. T. I asked this question in all seriousness. No "stirring" here.

[quote name="sbparent" post="824245" timestamp="1281413269"]
I'll take a shot......What does it take to be a "Gold" team.....put gold in your name or on your uni.  That's about it.

Anyone or team can call themselves Gold.  Proof is always on the field if you are truely worthy to match up with best 18U teams.
ASA does have rules regarding players who play in Gold qualifying tournaments.  I believe if a player plays in an ASA gold qualifying tournament then that player can ONLY play in ASA gold qualifying tournaments for the remainder of that year (thus could not play 18 or 16 under ASA tournaments).

Hope this helps.

[/quote]

Thanks, sbparent. So, let me see if I understand what you are saying. Any team can just all of a sudden declare themselves gold. There is no qualifying rules, but if a PLAYER plays in a gold level tournament, then ASA determines that PLAYER to be "gold" and she cannot play in any tournament below gold (18U,16U, etc.) for the remainder of that year. So, I'm guessing this is the same rule that says if  player plays "A" she can't play "B" for the remainder of that year. Obviously, this wouldn't effect IFA, USFA, USSSA, etc. So this would explain the "gold" teams listed for the IFA National tournament.

Mrs. T mentioned that a gold team has to qualify for ASA Nationals. Don't teams at all levels have to qualify for ASA Nationls? Does anybody know what qualifying entails? It has been my experience (limited as it may be) that in ASA district commisioners have a lot of say in what level of play a team is allowed to play. Is this the case here?

Guest shake and bake
There are only 64 teams that can qualify for the "GOLD" Nationals. Only a certain number come from specific tournaments held all around the country. If you go to the ASA GOLD website it will show how some of this works. Yes you can play gold but you limit yourself in ASA . Has no effect on any other organization. Also any girl that has played college ball CANNOT play ASA GOLD  but they can still play ASA "A" if they meet the age requirements. Basically it is suppossed to be an ELITE division within ASA. It is pretty hard to qualify to go to GOLD Nationals.

[quote name="shake and bake" post="824282" timestamp="1281447373"]
There are only 64 teams that can qualify for the "GOLD" Nationals. Only a certain number come from specific tournaments held all around the country. If you go to the ASA GOLD website it will show how some of this works. Yes you can play gold but you limit yourself in ASA . Has no effect on any other organization. [b]Also any girl that has played college ball CANNOT play ASA GOLD  but they can still play ASA "A" if they meet the age requirements. [/b] Basically it is suppossed to be an ELITE division within ASA. It is pretty hard to qualify to go to GOLD Nationals.
[/quote]
Hence the "Scrap Metal" name for Cheaters 18U team this summer. Could no longer be considered Gold because they had college players. New rule.

Guest shake and bake
[quote name="badndn" post="824289" timestamp="1281448900"]
[quote author=shake and bake link=topic=71529.msg824282#msg824282 date=1281447373]
There are only 64 teams that can qualify for the "GOLD" Nationals. Only a certain number come from specific tournaments held all around the country. If you go to the ASA GOLD website it will show how some of this works. Yes you can play gold but you limit yourself in ASA . Has no effect on any other organization. [b]Also any girl that has played college ball CANNOT play ASA GOLD  but they can still play ASA "A" if they meet the age requirements. [/b] Basically it is suppossed to be an ELITE division within ASA. It is pretty hard to qualify to go to GOLD Nationals.
[/quote]
Hence the "Scrap Metal" name for Cheaters 18U team this summer. Could no longer be considered Gold because they had college players. New rule.
[/quote]Yes that is correct. What do the JC girls that are eligible to play do with their time. They still need to be seen ,they still need to play although not as long a schedule they need to keep getting better. Cheater did a very good job keeping these girls somewhat motivated after a long spring schedule. The girls pretty muched coached themselves and Cheater just stood out there and sweated.  ;D

As alluded to the "Gold" term is highly over-used, probably to attract more players. To me when you use Gold it should be to indicate your intentions to play at the highest level available, including the territory and regional Gold Qualifiers that you qualify for.

http://gold.asasoftball.com/qualification/gold_procedures.aspx

[color=blue][font=Verdana]18-Under JO GOLD Qualifying Procedures
Effective with the 2002 playing season, teams qualified for the Gold Nationals through Regional and Territory qualifying tournaments (see maps below). The 2010 Gold Nationals will be held August 1-7 in Marietta, Georgia.

1. Regional Tournaments: Every ASA Region gets one (1) direct berth to the JO Gold Nationals. Some regions will receive extra berths based on previous year's Gold participation. Your local ASA Commissioner and ASA Junior Olympic Commissioner have information on the number of berths each region will receive. Regional qualifiers are open only to ASA registered Gold teams from that region.

2. Territory Tournaments: Per the ASA Code Article 516, "The ASA shall conduct two (2) Territory Tournaments in Junior Olympic Girls 18-Under Gold Fast Pitch in each of the following territories:
Territory 1 (Inclusive of Regions: 1, 2, 3, and 9)Eastern
Territory 2 ( Inclusive of Regions: 4, 5, 6, and 7)Southern
Territory 3 ( Inclusive of Regions: 8, 10, 11 and 12)Northern
Territory 4 ( Inclusive of Regions: 13, 14, and 15)Western

The number of berths per territory is based on previous year's Gold team participation. Each territory will hold two (2) Territory Tournaments and distribute their allotment of berths at these two tournaments. Your local ASA Commissioner and ASA Junior Olympic Commissioner have information on how many berths each territory receives. Territory Tournaments are open to all ASA registered Girl's 18 & Under Gold Fast Pitch teams within their respective territories. However, if any Territory Tournament should have fewer than 24 teams entered by April 14th, then teams from any territory may enter that particular Territory Tournament. The ASA National Office will work closely with the territory to monitor the number of entries in each Territory Tournament. Teams that have previously qualified for the Gold National Championship Finals are not eligible to compete in Territory Tournaments.

Contact your local ASA Commissioner or ASA Junior Olympic Commissioner for information about ASA regional qualifiers.

An important note for all JO teams: Per the ASA Code, Article 501 A. 3. Rostered Player: "A player may participate in more than one Junior Olympic division of play, but that player is limited to only one classification within a division of play." JO teams should therefore be advised that if they participate in championship play at a classification higher than their assigned classification, they must participate at that higher classification for the remainder of the season. For example, if a Girls Fast Pitch Class "A" team participates in a Gold Territory Tournament, that team may not move back down to play in Class "A" championship play. For the remainder of the season that team will be classified as a Gold team, and may only play in Gold championship play.

Junior Olympic GOLD Girls 18-Under Fast Pitch Berths to the National Championship Finals
National Qualifier (2)
Regional Champion (15)

Regional Berths based on previous year's Gold registrations:
Region with the highest registrations: Region 14 (5)
Region with the second highest registrations: Region 7 (5)
Region with the third highest registrations: Region 4 (1)
Region with the fourth highest registrations: Region 5 (1)
Region with the fifth highest registrations: Region 6 (1)
Region with the sixth highest registrations: Region 15 (1)
Region with the seventh highest registrations: Region 3 (1)

Territory Berths based on previous year's Gold registrations:
Territory with the highest registrations: Southern (12)
Territory with the second highest registrations: Western (12)
Territory with the third highest registrations: Northern (2)
Territory with the fourth highest registrations: Eastern (2)

Maximum Possible Number of Teams: 64^^ [/font] [/color]

[quote name="shake and bake" post="824292" timestamp="1281449732"]
[quote author=badndn link=topic=71529.msg824289#msg824289 date=1281448900]
[quote author=shake and bake link=topic=71529.msg824282#msg824282 date=1281447373]
[/quote]
[/quote]Yes that is correct. What do the JC girls that are eligible to play do with their time. They still need to be seen ,they still need to play although not as long a schedule they need to keep getting better. Cheater did a very good job keeping these girls somewhat motivated after a long spring schedule. The girls pretty muched coached themselves and Cheater just stood out there and sweated.  ;D
[/quote]
They could have called themselves Gold if they wanted to; just could not play in an ASA Gold qualifer.  I think allowing college players who still satisfy the age requirements is a huge plus for IFA.                   

Some states do require their Gold teams to meet certain qualifications..unlike Texas and a few other states that do not...I think the California gold teams have standards they have to reach...in Texas anyone can be "Gold"....If you do research  because of this most ASA teams are playing up an age bracket..most 18U teams are really 16 U...etc...

There are several Texas teams that are the real thing "Gold"..most are not.....

Thanks to everyone that has tried to explain this. It's clear as....mud.  :D

At least now I can say that I have an idea of what makes a team GOLD. I guess we,as parents, just need to be aware and ask questions when choosing a team at any level, because what I am hearing a lot of you say is that any team can put GOLD after their name and that it is often a recruiting tactic. I'm very glad to know this as we continue our journey.

I had no idea there would be so much propaganda in youth sports. Maybe I should just hire an agent...

Less drama? Have you had kids come through HS yet? A ton more drama in HS than any select team I have ever been involved with. Select is always painted as this cut-throat thing and my kid played for three different travel teams and everyone of them was first notch.  No problems............well except the changeups?!    ;D

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="824684" timestamp="1281563869"]
Just stick to school sports. Less drama and headache and easier on the wallet.. ;D
[/quote]

This is going to hurt but I have to agree with you on one thing......  It is easier on the wallet.

As for travel vs HS.....  done both!  At least most travel ball players know there limitations, know what it takes to get better, and have some knowledge and skill to play the game.  Many HS only players don't relize what is out there! 

Travel is the only way.....

Guest shake and bake
Besides that, some of the HS coaches don't realize what's out there. Cheater does have an advantage over most because he is a DUMB ... HS Coach  but not to bad a travel ball coach.  ;D At least that is what I have heard at his ballgames from parents like Marty ;D 

[quote name="Cheater" post="824769" timestamp="1281582191"]
[quote author=AggiesAreWe link=topic=71529.msg824684#msg824684 date=1281563869]
Just stick to school sports. Less drama and headache and easier on the wallet.. ;D
[/quote]

This is going to hurt but I have to agree with you on one thing......  It is easier on the wallet.

As for travel vs HS.....  [size=14pt][u][b]done both[/b][/u][/size]!  At least most travel ball players know there limitations, know what it takes to get better, and have some knowledge and skill to play the game.  Many HS only players don't relize what is out there! 

Travel is the only way.....
[/quote]

Really? Thats what you call that.....bucket sitting, umpire arguing, threatening parents who are observant enough to pickup pitching signs....etc.....WOW....I think even I could do that job! Oh, nevermind, I dont have a PE degree....im not qualified!

just kidding cheater....oh by the way...that "other" thread......some things arent even worth commenting on....I havent mellowed at all! In fact as you know, I just took over a team of 11 yo, just so I could stick around and cause MORE trouble!

Guest shake and bake
Can't wait to get to call a Tiger12 game behind the plate. I have had CC,Trout,Cheater,Wiggins,BC and several others but have not gotton T12 yet. Could be fun. ;D

[quote name="shake and bake" post="825281" timestamp="1281751262"]
Can't wait to get to call a Tiger12 game behind the plate. I have had CC,Trout,Cheater,Wiggins,BC and several others but have not gotton T12 yet. Could be fun. ;D
[/quote]

Actually, probably boring. I dont really know the rules, so I usually opperate on the basis that the umires are ALWAYS correct (judgement & rule interpretation) so I never, never, never agrue with or question an umpire.  ;)

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder