The Wing T Offense !! Your opinion on it?

[quote name="H-D BOBCAT 55" post="821037" timestamp="1280252755"]
Looks like a cool offense. Forces a defense to play their gaps and be disciplined.
[/quote]

Yep it is--but you still have to have the talent to run it.  Speed and power are tough to defend in an offense like this. 

When run correct with the right combination of backs is lethal.  Not very fun to watch for those that have come to want to watch the Fun & Gun.  For those that like hard nose football and don't mind the option, traps, and sweeps, it's a fun to watch it march methodically up and down the field.

I think it has been proven at the smaller classifications that it can be very successful because it tends to wear down a defense that has a lot of two way players, which is the case in most sub 4A schools.
It is an equalizer against a faster team because of all the misdirection it creates a lot of overpursuit.

That being said, not very popular at the higher classifications. A disciplined defense that has depth will eat it alive (don't even have to be extremely athletic, just disiplined and have enough players to rotate in and out to keep fresh).

Silsbee proved that it knew how to defend it last year. ;)

All the d-line has to do is sacrifice themselves and cut down the offensive lineman before they can carry out their blocking assignments. The linebackers and safeties (these DB's will be up in the box because there is not threat of a passing game) can then tee off on the open gaps.

This happened last year when Silsbee played Orangefield. Orangefield came in averaging over 420 yards rushing a game, but Silsbee held them to just 150 yards rushing. Silsbee's linebackers had a field day with the Bobcat backs, ended up knocking out their QB in the 3rd quarter.

I agree, it's a good offense for small schools that lack in the athleticly skilled department. But a good defensive co. can game plan it to stop it.

I think Vidor last year proved it's pretty good leading their dist.in rushing avg.334.1 per gm.If they could have added more passing w/it they had a chance to play in Dec.I think that BH is implementing a version of it but for a # of years the teams going deep  esp. in the bigger classification's have been teams running the spread.In 08 Dayton ran it pretty good,even in the 4A-div.11 title gm.scoring 49 but losing by 20 to SS just sayin.

It's ok with the right backs, but if you play a defense that can stop the run, you might be in trouble.  Alot of teams in our district run it.  Another problem is, if you get down by more than one score, you're left playing catch up with a run based offense.  That usually doesn't work too well.

[quote name="BrenhamFan" post="821271" timestamp="1280279448"]
It's ok with the right backs, but if you play a defense that can stop the run, you might be in trouble.  Alot of teams in our district run it.  Another problem is, if you get down by more than one score, you're left playing catch up with a run based offense.  That usually doesn't work too well.
[/quote]Exactly. That's why I love the spread. You can be down 21 and still come back to win.

Guest strongend
It is like every other offense out there.  If you have the talent, it is good.  If you dont have the talent, then  it is bad.

If the defense you are facing has two or three guys faster than your fastest running back, it won't work.
Take a look at what Dayton has done to many run based teams in the playoffs for the last few years.
If you have the QB to disperse the ball, and the recievers to catch, the spread offense is the way to go.

I personally prefer the flex-bone (a.k.a the armed forces' offense  ;D).  The wish-bone can work if you are significantly bigger/meaner than the other team's defense, but that can be said for almost anything.  There is a reason it is nonexistant in college/pros: defense schemes have evolved to where running the football successfully is more difficult than it once was, especially in a 3-yards-cloud-of-dust system.  Of course you can point to Vidor as running it successfully last year, and it does have the advantage of running down the play clock, (less scoring, more rested defense) but God-forbid you fall behind big.

Of course, it is not a coincidence that everybody is switching to the spread, particulary fast teams and teams with the ability to pass the football effectively.  Defenses are having to become faster (as opposed to bigger) to deal with the way the spread offenses can isolate a ball carrier out on the perimeter.  Perhaps the best thing the wing-t has going for it is that since defenses are focusing on the spread, they are sometimes not properly prepared-or have the right personnel-to go against the wing-t.  Trust me, the fact that it is a serious change of pace is a big advantage.

That being said, I personally dislike it because of the way it somewhat limits what running plays you can do.  There are not many plays that the fullback can run to the side away from the halfback, few options for the qb, etc...please, Vidor fans, I don't want to hear about how you averaged 330 yards on the ground last year.  Vidor's personnel was a PERFECT fit for that offense.  That was more of an anomoly than an example of how dangerous the wing-t can be

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    TankParrish83
    Newest Member
    TankParrish83