Let's hear the volleyball perspective on this subject

I saw one quote on the Softball forum that said "High School Sports come first. "  It is this small minded thinking that led to the explosion of select sports.  On every high school athletic team, you will find widely varying levels of commitment by the players to improve their abilities.  This limits the ability of those most committed to improve and achieve.  In select sports, most members on the team are aligned with each other in what they want to achieve personally and as a team.  High School Athletic Staffs should be thankful for the level of athlete that results from select sports and should do what they can to support them.  I believe that missing high school games for select sports is wrong.  But to quote Alan Iverson, "We talkin bout practice".  It is ashamed that High School Staffs think they are the center of the universe, when in fact, it is select sports that advance most high school athlete's collegiate aspirations.  Should the girls have to make up the practices/run laps? Of course.  Should they be banned from the team?  Absolutely not.  Should a family have to move to another school district because of this small minded policy?  No way.  I hope that some sanity comes to the decision makers in Orangefield.

[quote name="Otter" post="820803" timestamp="1280194682"]
I saw one quote on the Softball forum that said "High School Sports come first. "  It is this small minded thinking that led to the explosion of select sports.  On every high school athletic team, you will find widely varying levels of commitment by the players to improve their abilities.  This limits the ability of those most committed to improve and achieve.  In select sports, most members on the team are aligned with each other in what they want to achieve personally and as a team.  High School Athletic Staffs should be thankful for the level of athlete that results from select sports and should do what they can to support them.  I believe that missing high school games for select sports is wrong.  But to quote Alan Iverson, "We talkin bout practice".  It is ashamed that High School Staffs think they are the center of the universe, when in fact, it is select sports that advance most high school athlete's collegiate aspirations.  Should the girls have to make up the practices/run laps? Of course.  Should they be banned from the team?  Absolutely not.  Should a family have to move to another school district because of this small minded policy?  No way.  I hope that some sanity comes to the decision makers in Orangefield.
[/quote]

Good post.

Show up for 2 a days like the AD says or don't play, pretty simple...My kid plays softball too, but she'll be there come August 2nd and why is that, her coach worked everything out around their schedule so they could do both....Small minded thinking/policy, really....I personally think when you start a high school sport you give it your all, missing because you have a select game or tournament is not a good excuse....I would like to see the girls stay and play volleyball, but from what i have already read on the other thread they have known since May... I know Aggie finds this hard to believe, but i think it's going to be an exciting year of 3A volleyball and I'd hate for my kid to miss it...Good luck in their decision...

Guest bleed orange
[quote name="Chill." post="820860" timestamp="1280204102"]
Show up for 2 a days like the AD says or don't play, pretty simple...My kid plays softball too, but she'll be there come August 2nd and why is that, her coach worked everything out around their schedule so they could do both....Small minded thinking/policy, really....I personally think when you start a high school sport you give it your all, missing because you have a select game or tournament is not a good excuse....I would like to see the girls stay and play volleyball, but from what i have already read on the other thread they have known since May... I know Aggie finds this hard to believe, but i think it's going to be an exciting year of 3A volleyball and I'd hate for my kid to miss it...Good luck in their decision...

[/quote]

Good post.

This softball tournament is a National Tournament with teams from 5 or six different states attending. There will college coaches there recruiting with scholarships. If this was just a normal tournament I would see missing it for a High School practice or game but this is a National event. In the fall we have softball tournaments also and the softball players are instucted that their High School comes first because it is their schools season. Well it is still Summer Balls (select teams) main season and if the High school can be patient for just a couple of days I am sure the kids would do what ever make up work the coach would require be done. If we all just wanted to get along and work together.

Guest bleed orange
[quote name="Otter" post="820803" timestamp="1280194682"]
[/quote]

What led the explosion of select teams was not high school athletics, it was the youth leagues. Some one said on the other thread that high school kids should not play high school ball and play just select.In other words to prove a point to the high school coaches. Talk about small minded thinking. That kind of thinking could destroy high school sports and if that happens, what happens to the kids that are not chosen to play select ball. Again I think select ball is a good thing but not at the expense of another sport.

[quote name="bleed orange" post="820916" timestamp="1280239252"]
[quote author=Otter link=topic=71217.msg820803#msg820803 date=1280194682]
[/quote]

What led the explosion of select teams was not high school athletics, it was the youth leagues. Some one said on the other thread that high school kids should not play high school ball and play just select.In other words to prove a point to the high school coaches. Talk about small minded thinking. That kind of thinking could destroy high school sports and if that happens, what happens to the kids that are not chosen to play select ball. Again I think select ball is a good thing but not at the expense of another sport.
[/quote]

Good post bleed.

Some of these kids can't afford the costs of playing select or AAU. High school sports is all they have.

[quote name="Chill." post="820860" timestamp="1280204102"]

[/quote]

I agree with this post. But I am still not sure that a student missing a couple of 2 a day practices due to them playing another sport warrents a banishment from them playing the entire season. Seems something could be worked out.

Orangefield and schools like them need all the participation it can get. I do agree that a line has to be drawn somewhere.

[quote name="trout" post="820913" timestamp="1280238641"]
This softball tournament is a National Tournament with teams from 5 or six different states attending. There will college coaches there recruiting with scholarships. If this was just a normal tournament I would see missing it for a High School practice or game but this is a National event. In the fall we have softball tournaments also and the softball players are instucted that their High School comes first because it is their schools season. Well it is still Summer Balls (select teams) main season and if the High school can be patient for just a couple of days I am sure the kids would do what ever make up work the coach would require be done. If we all just wanted to get along and work together.
[/quote]

While I understand the importance of this tournament, you must also look at it from the standpoint of the volleyball coaches.  One of the things I have learned from gathering the 2010 schedules is how incredibly short the "training" is before play actually starts.  Volleyball teams start practice on Monday (Aug. 2) and are into scrimmages that Friday (Aug. 6) and/or Saturday (Aug. 7) with the first game of the season being on the following Tuesday (Aug. 10).  So there are not a whole lot of practices before the first games and an athlete that misses just a couple is missing most, if not all, or the team's first practices.  This will be a little difficult to make up.

[quote name="WOSgrad" post="820964" timestamp="1280243988"]
[quote author=trout link=topic=71217.msg820913#msg820913 date=1280238641]
[/quote]

While I understand the importance of this tournament, you must also look at it from the standpoint of the volleyball coaches.  One of the things I have learned from gathering the 2010 schedules is how incredibly short the "training" is before play actually starts.  Volleyball teams start practice on Monday (Aug. 2) and are into scrimmages that Friday (Aug. 6) and/or Saturday (Aug. 7) with the first game of the season being on the following Tuesday (Aug. 10).  So there are not a whole lot of practices before the first games and an athlete that misses just a couple is missing most, if not all, or the team's first practices.  This will be a little difficult to make up.
[/quote]
Good point WOSgrad, very good point.....That doesn't leave much time for coaches overseeing makeup workouts either, if you think about it.....

[quote name="East TX" post="822112" timestamp="1280516747"]
Question....Did the AD win or are the girls going to go ahead and play in the National SB Tourney?
[/quote]

Don't know if there was a winner in this one....last word is that the girls are headed to MS to play in the softball tournament...and won't be playing volleyball this year.

Most programs have a brochure that is given out before the seasons begin that cover what is expected of any athelete.I can't believe how many people don't realize how important team chemistry is and it is developed during the pre season practice. I have no ax to grind with the select squads but they have to make up their mind which is more important to them and pursue that sport to their fullest.It isn't fair to the school kids that make the sacrifice during 2 a days only to be displaced by girls who were off playing a select summer sport.The best solution would be for the folks over the ASA and the UIL to work something out over the scheduling conflicts where the kids could play both and not have a scheduling issue.

Good post salum. You've made me think about this a little deeper and I agree. If it's a varsity player and they are not there for 2 a days, I could see major problems with team chemistry. If it's a fresh or j.v. I could see where they could be allowed to play in time.

Anyone know what level these players are?

Guest bleed orange
[quote name="whsalum" post="822161" timestamp="1280531994"]
Most programs have a brochure that is given out before the seasons begin that cover what is expected of any athelete.I can't believe how many people don't realize how important team chemistry is and it is developed during the pre season practice. I have no ax to grind with the select squads but they have to make up their mind which is more important to them and pursue that sport to their fullest.It isn't fair to the school kids that make the sacrifice during 2 a days only to be displaced by girls who were off playing a select summer sport.The best solution would be for the folks over the ASA and the UIL to work something out over the scheduling conflicts where the kids could play both and not have a scheduling issue.
[/quote]

Good post Whsalum. The problem I see with select is, It has becomes an individual sport Instead of a team sport. Parents only care what their kid does instead of what the "Team" does. When select ball started is was a good thing but not any more. High school sports are still the purest form of team competition.

[quote name="bleed orange" post="822205" timestamp="1280548192"]
[quote author=whsalum link=topic=71217.msg822161#msg822161 date=1280531994]
[/quote]

Good post Whsalum. The problem I see with select is, It has becomes an individual sport Instead of a team sport. Parents only care what their kid does instead of what the "Team" does. When select ball started is was a good thing but not any more. High school sports are still the purest form of team competition.
[/quote] You must never have had a kid be part of a real select team? The team is where a lot of strong personal friendships are formed.

[quote name="trout" post="822808" timestamp="1280886937"]
[quote author=bleed orange link=topic=71217.msg822205#msg822205 date=1280548192]
[quote author=whsalum link=topic=71217.msg822161#msg822161 date=1280531994]
[/quote]

[/quote] You must never have had a kid be part of a real select team? The team is where a lot of strong personal friendships are formed.
[/quote]Trout is wise.

I have no problem with any out of school program that helps kids improve their talents; however if education is still the main concern of all of us then the summer programs should be scaled back to meet school requirements. Team play and coaches who are trained and being paid to instruct our kids not only in the classroom should take precedent over summer programs.....There are many things we have to choose between in life and their are always + and - to choices..................so make your choice and live with the results.  Not saying you cant be a team member in school if you decide to miss opening practices, just saying that those who put in the work from the beginning will be rewarded with playing time......Its still about team, if its about individual then try individual sport......Team concept is important in teaching sports... JMO

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami

• We'll see. I don't trust us. 
    • Starting pitching has been shaky the last few weeks due to some injuries outside of Hagen Smith.  He goes tomorrow, so y’all should be fine 
    • Manchin may get it but any mention of the radical left that wanted to get rid of the filibuster and end almost 220 years of history because the Democrats are mad?  The House and Senate are obviously different legislative bodies with entirely different election processes and rules for a reason. The House can vote on laws with a simple majority vote. The Senate put rules in place that it would make it much tougher to pass laws. Laws should be difficult to pass. The Senate is often the holdup of the right and left. It takes 60 votes to break the filibuster so any law will almost certainly require agreement at least in part, from opposing sides of an issue. Because they can’t get laws passed, the radical left is like a baby having a tantrum and wants to change over 200 years of history and make it potentially ridiculously easy to pass laws. I have seen current poll maps and it is possible for the Republicans to sweep into complete power in November but by the tiniest margin. That would possibly mean that a single vote margin in both houses could enact what you might call the radical right laws. There would be nothing that the Democrats could do to stop any legislation whatsoever if the left (they are all radical, minus Manchin) got their filibuster rule changed.  That is where the current filibuster comes into play as any new law would require several Democrats to agree with the majority Republicans and vice versa.  Do you want the potential for your radical right to have free rein as the radical left wants by killing the filibuster or is the radical left just as (if not more) dangerous? Let’s see if we have a history in this area? Oh yeah, the Democrats changed the rules in the Senate to allow federal judges to not have to overcome the filibuster. Obama was not getting his federal judge nominations passed and being angry, they changed the rules instead of nominating more moderate justices. They were warned that it would come back to bite them. They didn’t care and chose the nuclear option to change the rules. Oops! Any guess how Trump got all of his Supreme Court nominees passed against strong Democrat opposition? The Democrats got rid of the filibuster for federal judges after another tantrum   So when you are so worried about the radical right, are you equally concerned in what the radical left is always doing by changing rules and history which were put into place just for situations like we are in? So while Manchin gets it, what about his other 50 colleagues (49 + Harris)?  What concerns you more, Abbott and Paxton or the Democrats who want to make it to where if the Republicans do take over, they can go wild… at least in your mind? 
    • MODS please remove that ISD twitter link! I had no idea it would copy the whole posting. I only highlighted the portion about the venue change. Sorry about that!
  • Topics