6A Football in Texas?

[i]You look at the generation we’re raising up ... you say those kids are used to getting more,” Breithaupt said. “They’re used to being in the playoffs. They’re used to an extra game and a trophy and being crowned. So maybe it’s just us fitting in with societal needs.”[/i]

That tells it all. And they want to all make "As" and all be honor grads, and all be on the team. And do nothing to earn it....In my day, it was called S-P-O-I-L-E-D.

Well, if my math is right from 11-Man 1A-5A 544 teams will make the playoffs (128 in 5A, 128 in 4A, 96 in 3A, 48 in 2A (DI), 48 in 2A (DII), 48 in 1A (DI), 48 in 1A (DII)) this year and next.

If the 6A plan with 4 teams reaching the playoffs out of each region, 768 teams from 11 Man 1A to 5A will make the playoffs.   Is it the "little league" mentality of everyone getting a trophy?  Not hardly.  

The bigger justification can be found in Page 15 of UIL Football Manual under Section 1250 (j) of the "Football" Plan which states, [b]"Fifteen percent of the gross receipts of post-district games shall be paid to the [University Interscholastic] League...."[/b]

For that, you can do the math.

[quote name="WOSgrad" post="819087" timestamp="1279581829"]
Well, if my math is right from 11-Man 1A-5A 544 teams will make the playoffs (128 in 5A, 128 in 4A, 96 in 3A, 48 in 2A (DI), 48 in 2A (DII), 48 in 1A (DI), 48 in 1A (DII) this year and next.

If the 6A plan with 4 teams reaching the playoffs out of each region, 768 teams from 11 Man 1A to 5A will make the playoffs.   Is it the "little league" mentality of everyone getting a trophy?  Not hardly. 

[b]The bigger justification can be found in Page 15 of UIL Football Manual under Section 1250 (j) of the "Football" Plan which states, [b]"Fifteen percent of the gross receipts of post-district games shall be paid to the [University Interscholastic] League...."[/b]

For that, you can do the math[/b].

[/quote]

EXACTLY!!!!!!

Don't get me wrong.  I much prefer the plan which creates a 6A over the current attempt to divide each class into two different divisions.  But this plan of 4 teams from each district further dilutes the championship.  That means in an eight team district all you have to do to make the playoffs is finish in the top half of the district....in a six team district, 2/3 of the teams will go.....and in a district like 14-1A, they are just playing the district schedule to determine the playoff seedings.

I have stated numerous times, 4 teams is just too much. The only way to justify 4 teams qualifying for the playoffs would be if those 4 teams come out of at least an 8-10 team district. This 4 out of 5, 4 out of 6, or 4 out of 7 is ridiculous. I even think 4 out of 8 is bad.

I wanted it to stay 2 teams, but I have no problems with 3. Going to 4 teams is just another way for the UIL to get more money, plain and simple.

It has nothing to do with "the social needs". ::)

[quote name="WOSgrad" post="819089" timestamp="1279582443"]
Don't get me wrong.  I much prefer the plan which creates a 6A over the current attempt to divide each class into two different divisions.  But this plan of 4 teams from each district further dilutes the championship.  That means in an eight team district all you have to do to make the playoffs is finish in the top half of the district....in a six team district, 2/3 of the teams will go.....and in a district like 14-1A, they are just playing the district schedule to determine the playoff seedings.
[/quote]

I wouldn't mind the 6A move, just keep it at 3 teams to qualify for the playoffs.

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="819090" timestamp="1279582550"]
I have stated numerous times, 4 teams is just too much. The only way to justify 4 teams qualifying for the playoffs would be if those 4 teams come out of at least an 8-10 team district. This 4 out of 5, 4 out of 6, or 4 out of 7 is ridiculous. I even think 4 out of 8 is bad.

I wanted it to stay 2 teams, but I have no problems with 3. Going to 4 teams is just another way for the UIL to get more money, plain and simple.

It has nothing to do with "the social needs". ::)
[/quote]

But it makes more people happy when it seems like everyone would be " included."
You  and WOSgrad are right however, it's about the $$$$$$$$.

Aggie...I agree with you here (shocking huh...lol). I was thinking today after seeing it on the news, it just seems watered down to me to make the playoffs for many districts if 4 teams start making it.

With this being said, does anyone know how the numbers would change if they went to a 6A? Would the cutoff numbers for each classification change, or would it really only effect 4A/5A?

[quote name="KDOSullivan" post="819083" timestamp="1279580105"]
[i]You look at the generation we’re raising up ... you say those kids are used to getting more,” Breithaupt said. “They’re used to being in the playoffs. They’re used to an extra game and a trophy and being crowned. So maybe it’s just us fitting in with societal needs.”[/i]

That tells it all. And they want to all make "As" and all be honor grads, and all be on the team. And do nothing to earn it....In my day, it was called S-P-O-I-L-E-D.
[/quote]
I agree, Thats why our kids are so use to getting their way wit out Putting in a little work..Some times is good that everone dosent win. Let the losers learn from their mistakes and come back better the next time.. Shoot why be 1st if everoby 1st. Was the Joy in that..Just saying

Guest ECBucFan
[quote name="txrailcat74" post="819140" timestamp="1279596215"]
I say, just eliminate all games and give every team a state trophy.
[/quote]

Thats exactly where it is headed. Thanks Charles.  >:(

Well, if my math is right from 11-Man 1A-5A 544 teams will make the playoffs (128 in 5A, 128 in 4A, 96 in 3A, 48 in 2A (DI), 48 in 2A (DII), 48 in 1A (DI), 48 in 1A (DII) this year and next.

If the 6A plan with 4 teams reaching the playoffs out of each region, 768 teams from 11 Man 1A to 5A will make the playoffs.   Is it the "little league" mentality of everyone getting a trophy?  Not hardly. 

The bigger justification can be found in Page 15 of UIL Football Manual under Section 1250 (j) of the "Football" Plan which states, [b]"Fifteen percent of the gross receipts of post-district games shall be paid to the [University Interscholastic] League...."[/b]

They should do a 1-hour special on ESPN during the reallignment announcement.  ;D ;D ;D ;D  Think of the bucks we could make off that UIL.

[/quote]

[/quote]

[font=Verdana][glow=red,2,300][b]BOOOOMMM!! Thats hiitin the nail on the head!! Preach!![/b][/glow][/font]

Okay, I did the math.  Under the current system, 534 playoff football games will be played.  Under the the 6 class plan, that number would be 762 games.

Assuming an average attendance of 4,000 per game at $5 per ticket (yes, I know it is conservative) that is $20,000.  15% of that is $3000.  So under the current system and with the above assumptions, the UIL's take on football alone is $1,602,000.

Under the 6 class-4 playoff team per class plan, that amount rises to $2,286,000.

And that is just for football playoffs.

UIL: Adding Conference 6A 'more likely than ever'

Associated Press CNHI

SAN ANTONIO, Texas —

There is growing support to create a Conference 6A that would send even more Texas high school football teams to the playoffs, the head of the University Interscholastic League said Monday.

UIL executive director Charles Breithaupt said "it's more likely now than ever" that about 1,200 high schools would be realigned into six classes of roughly equal size in a shake-up geared at putting more teams in the postseason. Under the plan, four schools from every district of every size would make the playoffs.

Currently, only the two largest classifications — 5A and 4A — advance four teams from each district. Critics say it has created watered-down system where schools that finish 2-8 can sometimes advance in weak districts.

Breithaupt said schools have consistently indicated on surveys that more playoff teams are better.

He wondered if the preference was a product of the everyone-gets-a-trophy mentality that has become common in youth sports leagues.

"You look at the generation we're raising up ... you say those kids are used to getting more," Breithaupt said. "They're used to being in the playoffs. They're used to an extra game and a trophy and being crowned. So maybe it's just us fitting in with societal needs."

Schools will be surveyed about the proposed expansion in October. If there is wide support, the plan could be approved as early as January.

Football realignment is always a hot-button issue in Texas. Until 1989, only one state champion was crowned for each classification. The next year saw Class 5A split its playoffs into Division I and Division II championships, a system that has trickled down to lower classifications.

One issue is the growing disparity of enrollments between schools in Class 5A. Some have called for the UIL to create a "superconference" of the 100 or so biggest schools, but Breithaupt said the talk now has shifted to making the classifications more balanced.

Breithaupt said making six classifications of about 200-210 schools would be easy. Giving an example, Breithaupt said the current six-man Class 1A Division II would become Class 1A, the current 1A Division I would become 2A, 2A would become 3A, and so on.

Breithaupt didn't want to predict whether the plan — one of several ideas on the table — will pass, but said it was generating a lot of attention.

"I think there is a lot of interest from our schools of having six complete conferences and having four teams in the playoffs in everything," Breithaupt said. "At this time, it's the thing I'm hearing more from our schools."

[quote name="scooter!" post="819318" timestamp="1279667607"]
If Oklahoma can handle 6A why can't Texas?
[/quote]

I don't think many folks have a problem with 6A in Texas.  In fact, I have long thought it to be the better alternative than the "Division I" and "Division II" stuff that the UIL has been trying for the last 20 years.

What most folks seem to have a problem with the proposed plan is the 4 teams going to the playoffs.  

[quote name="WOSgrad" post="819320" timestamp="1279667918"]
[quote author=scooter! link=topic=71093.msg819318#msg819318 date=1279667607]
If Oklahoma can handle 6A why can't Texas?
[/quote]

I don't think many folks have a problem with 6A in Texas.  In fact, I have long thought it to be the better alternative than the "Division I" and "Division II" stuff that the UIL has been trying for the last 20 years.

What most folks seem to have a problem with the proposed plan is the 4 teams going to the playoffs.  
[/quote]I hear ya. I rather see a football playoff battle than a blowout by 2nd qtr.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CougarCrazy124
    Newest Member
    CougarCrazy124