Athletic Director/ Head Football Coach

Guest GCMPats

Guest GCMPats
Most school districts 4A and below have an AD that also serves as the head football coach. In their capacity as AD, they have the ability to hire/fire other head coaches within their program.

My questions are:

To what extent do they hold themselves accountable as a head coach?

Should the positions be seperate? (Not taking school finances into consideration)

The shortest distance between two points is a straight line so in that context an AD/football coach  providing he's da right man for the job will be the most effective tool to reach your goals in football any way. I think when more than one person gets involved on the same level then thats when politics enters the arena and power struggles  greatly compromise the intended outcome.  ~ When Kinky Freeman was interviewed durning the TX gov.race he was ask are you pro-choice or pro-abortion he said neither I'm Pro- Football ! :D

[quote name="GCMPats" post="804141" timestamp="1274474935"]
Most school districts 4A and below have an AD that also serves as the head football coach. In their capacity as AD, they have the ability to hire/fire other head coaches within their program.

My questions are:

Should the positions be seperate? (Not taking school finances into consideration)
[/quote]

So...are you saying RUPP is on the bubble there now finishing 4th versus 1st ALREADY in that new school???  I know he had plenty of high expectations.  Is Coach Boyd ready to exercise his freedom and right over there? 

Guest GCMPats
[quote name="SETXSPORTSJUNKIE" post="805032" timestamp="1274674125"]
[quote author=GCMPats link=topic=69927.msg804141#msg804141 date=1274474935]

My questions are:

[/quote]

So...are you saying RUPP is on the bubble there now finishing 4th versus 1st ALREADY in that new school???  I know he had plenty of high expectations.  Is Coach Boyd ready to exercise his freedom and right over there?  
[/quote]

Not at all.

Is this what your Baytown Buddies are telling you?

Multi high school districts, yes.  1 school town no.  Perfect example is Port Arthur which better applicants stayed away because they spilt the job between AD and HC....

Guest GCMPats
[quote name="bronco1" post="805173" timestamp="1274728820"]
AD doesn't have the final say, I am pretty sure the Adminstration and School Board have alot of say on hiring and firing.
[/quote]

The AD is a part of the Administration.
Now, he/she would have to get approval from the School Board in any personnel actions (hiring/firing). That's not too hard to accomplish.

[quote name="GCMPats" post="805133" timestamp="1274721329"]
[quote author=SETXSPORTSJUNKIE link=topic=69927.msg805032#msg805032 date=1274674125]

My questions are:

[/quote]

So...are you saying RUPP is on the bubble there now finishing 4th versus 1st ALREADY in that new school???  I know he had plenty of high expectations.  Is Coach Boyd ready to exercise his freedom and right over there?  
[/quote]

Not at all.

[/quote]

I have a few buddies from Baytown who work at our facility here, but they haven't thought about that one, even though it might be good talk.  Was hoping you were giving us a little something to talk about;0

Guest GCMPats
[quote name="SETXSPORTSJUNKIE" post="805251" timestamp="1274743989"]
[quote author=GCMPats link=topic=69927.msg805133#msg805133 date=1274721329]
[quote author=SETXSPORTSJUNKIE link=topic=69927.msg805032#msg805032 date=1274674125]

My questions are:

[/quote]

[/quote]

Not at all.

[/quote]

I have a few buddies from Baytown who work at our facility here, but they haven't thought about that one, even though it might be good talk.  Was hoping you were giving us a little something to talk about;0
[/quote]

Nope. The Athletics Department at GCM is in good standing after 2 years. Most of the teams, boys and girls, qualified for the playoffs. Basketball is one of the few that did not.

They will be replacing Boys Basketball Head Coach Jeff Keener who left for Friendswood and Girls Soccer Head Coach Alyson Ankrom who is electing to stay home with her newborn son.

My initial questions were aimed at the "reassigning" of the Barbers Hill Girls Head Basketball Coach. I understand there were other "issues" involved. I just wonder if in 3 years, if Coach Gage has been as successful as Coach Chancelor, if he would evaluate HIS performance based on the same criteria? I would bet that he would not.

[quote name="GCMPats" post="805390" timestamp="1274800488"]
[quote author=SETXSPORTSJUNKIE link=topic=69927.msg805251#msg805251 date=1274743989]

My questions are:

[/quote]

[/quote]

Not at all.

[/quote]

[/quote]

Nope. The Athletics Department at GCM is in good standing after 2 years. Most of the teams, boys and girls, qualified for the playoffs. Basketball is one of the few that did not.

They will be replacing Boys Basketball Head Coach Jeff Keener who left for Friendswood and Girls Soccer Head Coach Alyson Ankrom who is electing to stay home with her newborn son.

My initial questions were aimed at the "reassigning" of the Barbers Hill Girls Head Basketball Coach. I understand there were other "issues" involved. I just wonder if in 3 years, if Coach Gage has been as successful as Coach Chancelor, if he would evaluate HIS performance based on the same criteria? I would bet that he would not.
[/quote]

I am not sure how this "issue" (whatever that is) has to do with the title of the thread.  What's your beef with the reassignment?  I assumed Coach Chancelor was doing well based on wins and beause of his family experience was most likely qualified.  I assume there are those trying to make the case a board member is trying to get Penny Hall back as head coach, not sure.  It is no secret her and Price did not see eye to eye, however I can't fault her for that.  ;)  There is also rumors of some wrong doing on her part, which may or may not be true.  Seems like a lot of speculation to me.

I say look forward and do what's best for the kids.  I already hear a lot of positive things about Gage and what he is doing that the previous staff did not, all of which is geared towards helping the kids.

Guest GCMPats
[quote name="bh89-2" post="805451" timestamp="1274808555"]
[quote author=GCMPats link=topic=69927.msg805390#msg805390 date=1274800488]
[quote author=SETXSPORTSJUNKIE link=topic=69927.msg805251#msg805251 date=1274743989]

My questions are:

[/quote]

[/quote]

Not at all.

[/quote]

I have a few buddies from Baytown who work at our facility here, but they haven't thought about that one, even though it might be good talk.  Was hoping you were giving us a little something to talk about;0
[/quote]

[/quote]

I am not sure how this "issue" (whatever that is) has to do with the title of the thread.  What's your beef with the reassignment?  I assumed Coach Chancelor was doing well based on wins and beause of his family experience was most likely qualified.  I assume there are those trying to make the case a board member is trying to get Penny Hall back as head coach, not sure.  It is no secret her and Price did not see eye to eye, however I can't fault her for that.  ;)  There is also rumors of some wrong doing on her part, which may or may not be true.  Seems like a lot of speculation to me.

I say look forward and do what's best for the kids.  I already hear a lot of positive things about Gage and what he is doing that the previous staff did not, all of which is geared towards helping the kids.
[/quote]

From where I sit, as an outsider, I would love to have our baskeball team be as successful as BH's was this past year. Add to that, their best player is only a sophomore so they have the potential to be even better with a year of experience.

The whole situation is just odd to me and I have to wonder if he would make the same decision about himself. That's why I believe the positions should be seperated.

I agree with what GCM is saying. I didnt see this post when I made a similar observation on the coaching staff thread. I didnt think much of the change until I saw the Chancellor thing...I just cant see having a more ideal guy coaching at a high school with connections to a big time D1 program and his Dad being a coaching legend in the girls basketball arena. I am sure he will be fine but not sure how he wasnt doing his job or not qualified.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder