Artificial Turf

I would imagine that will be one of the last things, they will do. It's kinda like building a new house, one of the last things to go down is the carpeting or flooring. I'm guessing July or August.

[quote name="RS73" post="799054" timestamp="1273259121"]
I would imagine that will be one of the last things, they will do. It's kinda like building a new house, one of the last things to go down is the carpeting or flooring. I'm guessing July or August.
[/quote]

Turf is a 3 month process. To be ready be mid-September, they'd have to start no later than mid-June. And that's with PERFECT weather. They need to get going within the next couple of weeks.

Guest coachacola
One of the recent articles in the paper said they were going to wait and put the turf down last so they wouldn't mess it up.  My guess is they wanted to get the suites up before putting down the turf.  They are cutting it close so don't they have to start on it by early June?

[quote name="AJ25" post="799074" timestamp="1273260705"]
[quote author=RS73 link=topic=69500.msg799054#msg799054 date=1273259121]
[/quote]

Turf is a 3 month process. To be ready be mid-September, they'd have to start no later than mid-June. And that's with PERFECT weather. They need to get going within the next couple of weeks.
[/quote]

Most of the work is done. It will only take a few weeks to put the turf down. From start to finish it may take 3 months, but it has already started so to speak.

[quote name="LU Baseball Fan" post="799424" timestamp="1273300966"]

[/quote]

Just curious where did you get the "3 month process" to lay turf?
[/quote]

It's all I've ever heard. Makes sense.. Takes at least a couple of weeks to take up all the old sod and get the dirt leveled out. Then you start the long piping and draining process which is another couple weeks to a month. All of this is depending on weather. All that is at least a 1 1/2 half month process, then you can start laying the turf. That's a couple of weeks, then you can paint and everything. About 2 weeks there. So with perfect weather, that's still a 2 month process. So maybe not quite 3 if the weather is good.

If weather cooperates it takes 4 to 6 weeks maximum.  My understanding is that the field is pretty much ready except for final grading which will be done just prior to installing the turf.  Actually installing the turf takes about a week.  I assume it is being sewn in.  The lines are not painted, on the turf is manufactured with the lines already on it.  As I understand they will not lay the turf until the construction crews are finished driving on it.  I am confident that the field will be ready in plenty of time for opening day.  If it isn't then Lamar needs to get a refund from Hellis.

• 4 weeks later...
They have begun laying down the tarp to cover the dirt for the final time.  :)
The tarping is the next step to having the turf down. They were about 1/3 of the way done covering the field until the storms came in.

[quote name="LCM2LU" post="811172" timestamp="1276190478"]
Didn't someone have a link to pictures of McNeese's turf project? I just walked by there and it looks like they're pouring gravel for a good base. Still a lot of dirt work going on too.
[/quote]

[url=http://mcneesesports.cstv.com/view.gal?id=27943]McNeese Turf Project[/url]

Go to [u]other galleries[/u] and you will find the pictures.

By looking at the web cam it looks like the first few rows of seats are going to stink.  It looks like the field is to high that it should have been dug down a little more.  Since most of the players stand the whole game the first few rows will not be able to see.  I hope this is just a bad angle from the web cam.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    TankParrish83
    Newest Member
    TankParrish83