How many of the state champions would beat UConn women?

How many of the state champions would beat UConn women?  

59 members have voted

1. 1. How many of the state champions would beat UConn women?

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest baseball25
Duke boys would killllllllllll yates, it would be worse than 60 points, because duke would handle there pressure with easeeeeeeeeeee, and thats where yates gets all of there points and thats from the Denfense side of the ball, they don't shoot the ball well, I mean Yates would be lucky to get 20  points. Duke would not have a problem with the pressue, and Duke has alot of size.

[quote name="katdaddy" post="787785" timestamp="1270763854"]
Oh, and what score would you put with UCONN women vs Duke men (with the men NOT going 4 corners and taking it easy). I say 120 - 32. Duke vs Yates boys 90 - 35.
[/quote]

Duke could do what they want to either of these teams Yates scoring 35 on them wouldn't happen in a million lifetimes.

[quote name="whsalum" post="786134" timestamp="1270435198"]
[quote author=speechless link=topic=67982.msg786066#msg786066 date=1270415558]
ALL 6 WOULD BEAT EM!!!
[/quote]You're dreaming.[b]One of these girls has a 26" vertical, now there isn't many guys at the high school level that can jump like that .[/b]After watching the first half I'm taking Bush off the list.The U Conn women would go 5-1 against this years state champs.The run the floor,handle the press,screen and shoot the ball better than any womens team I've ever seen.Yates I think would just be too fast for them but they were #1 in the nation at the high school level.
[/quote]

there are a bunch of high schoolers that have a 26 inch vertical. Heck, I didn't even play basketball and had a 24" vertical.

did you mean 36?

Guest scottpellegrin93
yall dont understand that girls level of basketball and guys level of basketball is a huge difference....now don't get me wrong there good but guys would get up and down the court a whole lot faster

[quote name="diesel" post="790803" timestamp="1271379884"]
yall dont understand that girls level of basketball and guys level of basketball is a huge difference....now don't get me wrong there good but guys would get up and down the court a whole lot faster
[/quote]On the same level there is a huge difference but this poll was about the best college girls team ever and every classification of a boys high school state tournament.No disrespect to Lamars elite 8 team but they aren't in the same class as these ladies.There were times this year when I watched UCONN and they did the fundamental things every bit as good as the guys,especially at the high school level.

• 1 month later...
wow i cannot believe this is even a debate? I keep reading all you say "have u seen the uconn girls fundamentals?" Yeah the uconn girls are unbelievably talented and a good sound team. Obviously going undefeated 2 years in a row is incredible. But the skill level between a girl and a guy is 2 totally different things. Have the best guard from uconn womens and the best guard from yates mens go at it 1 on 1 and the advantage is to the men everytime. A girls athleticism is not comparable to a guys. Guys are stronger, faster, more explosive, and more agressive. Uconn womens basketball is good yes, but competing with any 3a 4a 5a guys basketball state championship? not even close!

UCONN women would get slaughtered in all but maybe one or two of these games.  Yes UCONN has great shooters, but those set shots and "jump shots" where the much shorter female guards elevate a jawdropping 4 inches off the ground will be continually swatted into the stands.  yes, uconn has talented posts, but the tallest player on their roster is 6-4.  at best against the smaller schools, they'd have an inch or two size advantage, but that would become irrelevant when faced against opponents who can outjump them by 2 feet.  Their talented guards could conceivably be better skilled than some of their opponents, but they'd be at such a disadvantage in the speed department that even if they got around someone, the defender would have more than enough time to recover, and if not, whatever wild layup that is let go from 2 or 3 feet below the rim is going to get swatted by help defense.  also, the ball moves much slower in the women's game.  the much quicker boys would consistently pick off passes, and nobody on the court for UCONN would have a chance of getting back and contesting fast break layups.  those long, looping cross court passes that you see all the time in the women's game would be turned into a lot of easy baskets for the boys.  I just can't imagine a scenario where UCONN could get anything better than hurried wild perimeter shots and forced, circus-type layups down low.  And that is just on the offensive end.  Think of the defensive nightmares UCONN would face trying to defend any one of the Texas boys' championship teams.  There is absolutely no way that they are fast enough to keep up in a man-to-man defense, meaning they'd be forced to play a zone.  The boys would be able to move the ball much faster than the zone could adjust, leading to as many open three-pointers as the boys feel like taking.  If the shots are not falling, they could either easily penetrate the zone and drive, or dump the ball down into the post, where a girl who can barely jump up and touch the net would be forced to try and guard a boy who mostly likely can dunk without trouble, even if she's in his way (and that's not taking into account the players who they might face who are actually taller, or much taller than their posts).  On missed shots, the girls might be fundamentally better at blocking out, but that would be irrelevant when the boy on her backside is fast enough to go completely around her, or can jump up and over her, using his much longer arms and leaping ability to take the ball without causing an over the back foul.  

So, although I'll agree that a well-coached, fundamentally sound basketball team is preferable to an athletic one, in this case the disparity in athleticism would be so great that it would nullify the advantage in fundamentals and coaching, especially considering that these teams never would've won Texas state championships if they didn't have great coaching and fundamentals of their own.

[quote name="bullets13000" post="807910" timestamp="1275330789"]
UCONN women would get slaughtered in all but maybe one or two of these games.  Yes UCONN has great shooters, but those set shots and "jump shots" where the much shorter female guards elevate a jawdropping 4 inches off the ground will be continually swatted into the stands.  yes, uconn has talented posts, but the tallest player on their roster is 6-4.  at best against the smaller schools, they'd have an inch or two size advantage, but that would become irrelevant when faced against opponents who can outjump them by 2 feet.  Their talented guards could conceivably be better skilled than some of their opponents, but they'd be at such a disadvantage in the speed department that even if they got around someone, the defender would have more than enough time to recover, and if not, whatever wild layup that is let go from 2 or 3 feet below the rim is going to get swatted by help defense.  also, the ball moves much slower in the women's game.  the much quicker boys would consistently pick off passes, and nobody on the court for UCONN would have a chance of getting back and contesting fast break layups.  those long, looping cross court passes that you see all the time in the women's game would be turned into a lot of easy baskets for the boys.  I just can't imagine a scenario where UCONN could get anything better than hurried wild perimeter shots and forced, circus-type layups down low.  And that is just on the offensive end.  Think of the defensive nightmares UCONN would face trying to defend any one of the Texas boys' championship teams.  There is absolutely no way that they are fast enough to keep up in a man-to-man defense, meaning they'd be forced to play a zone.  The boys would be able to move the ball much faster than the zone could adjust, leading to as many open three-pointers as the boys feels like taking.  If the shots are not falling, they could either easily penetrate the zone and drive, or dump the ball down into the post, where a girl who can barely jump up and touch the net would be forced to try and guard a boy who mostly likely can dunk without trouble, even if she's in his way (and that's not taking into account the players who they might face who are actually taller, or much taller than their posts).  On missed shots, the girls might be fundamentally better at blocking out, but that would be irrelevant when the boy on her backside is fast enough to go completely around her, or can jump up and over her, using his much longer arms and leaping ability to take the ball without causing an over the back foul. 

So, although I'll agree that a well-coached, fundamentally sound basketball team is preferable to an athletic one, in this case the disparity in athleticism would be so great that it would nullify the advantage in fundamentals and coaching, especially considering that these teams never would've won Texas state championships if they didn't have great coaching and fundamentals of their own.
[/quote]

That pretty well sums it up

If the post was about the best high school state champions ever and your average womens college team I may agree with your assessment but it's not.It's about this years champions and arguably the best womens college team of all time.Fundamentals are so overlooked in todays game that they are no longer appreciated by a large part of the fan base.I don't think you would see nearly as many shots swatted into the stands as you think simply because these ladies screen as well as any club I've ever watched.The pace of the game would not be frantic or fast paced simply because Gino would know he couldn't win that type game.He didn't win 70 plus games in a row and not know how to coach.If games were won or lost on athletisism alone the guys would win going away but thats the great thing about basketball, strategy and execution are the great equalizer.

[quote name="whsalum" post="807948" timestamp="1275344419"]
If the post was about the best high school state champions ever and your average womens college team I may agree with your assessment but it's not.It's about this years champions and arguably the best womens college team of all time.Fundamentals are so overlooked in todays game that they are no longer appreciated by a large part of the fan base.I don't think you would see nearly as many shots swatted into the stands as you think simply because these ladies screen as well as any club I've ever watched.The pace of the game would not be frantic or fast paced simply because Gino would know he couldn't win that type game.He didn't win 70 plus games in a row and not know how to coach.If games were won or lost on athletisism alone the guys would win going away but thats the great thing about basketball, strategy and execution are the great equalizer.
[/quote]

to an extent i would agree, but in this case, the athetic disparity, combined with the fact that all of the boys teams are well coached, too (although not by gino), and i don't see how they'd have a chance.  The matchup problems would be too great to overcome.  For instance, how would UCONN have any chance at all of stopping any post over 6'6" from scoring at will?  How would they score over him?  How would they break Yates' press?  They may take better control of the ball than some of the HS teams yates pounded, but they would be no match for Yates' speed, and would turn the ball over A LOT.  I just don't see it.  Unfortunately, we'll never know.

It's also worth noting that I saw Kenny Mayne interviewing some player from the WNBA, and he said something like this... "I don't think I'm being patronizing when I say that we know that a WNBA cannot beat an NBA team.  But could a WNBA team beat a D-3 men's college team?  What about a HS boys state championship team?"

Her answer: "I'd like to think so.  Let's lace them up and find out." 

So when a WNBA player is asked if her team can beat a boys' state championship team, she was far from a definitive yes.  And i don't care how good UCONN is, they'd get destroyed by a WNBA team.

• 4 weeks later...
I think you underestimate how much of an advantage it is to be the better athletes on the court.

UCONN has better athletes than any other women's team can muster, so of course their fundamentals look great.
My fundamentals are impeccable until I get on the playground with a guy that is 6'1" and can run a 4.7 and jump 30 inches.  Then, the fact that I am 6'1",run a 5.2 and jump 20 inches makes my fundamentals go down the drain.

Forget the state championship teams. Those guys would run the Lady Huskies right out of the gym.  The girls could have all of the fundamentals in the world and it all goes down the tubes when you face guys that are taller, twice as quick and can jump three times as high as you.

The real question is can UCONN beat your average college aged pickup game that one might find on a college campus.  What about if I could pick up four guys from this forum and run a game with them?  That might be a more fair comparison.

Some folks underestimate the importance of fundamentals in todays game.We're not talking about an ordinary womens team here.This club hasn't lost a game in 2 years.We also aren't talking about a college mens team, we're talking about 1 group of state high school teams.I'll give Yates their props,they were the best in the nation.I wonder how many kids on the other 5 state champions signed to play college basketball??These games would be closer than you're giving them credit for.

Guest ECBucFan
[quote name="panamamyers" post="814926" timestamp="1277690070"]
I think you underestimate how much of an advantage it is to be the better athletes on the court.

Forget the state championship teams. Those guys would run the Lady Huskies right out of the gym.  The girls could have all of the fundamentals in the world and it all goes down the tubes when you face guys that are taller, twice as quick and can jump three times as high as you.
[/quote]

Correct! UCONN women wouldn't have [i]time[/i] for fundamentals, even the 1A State Champion would easily press them out of the gym.

It is an advantage to have better atheletes but you can see examples every year where teams with sound fundamentals beat more atheletic clubs.I believe this UCONN club was one of the best ,if not the best womens clubs to ever play the college game.You wouldn't see this women's team turning the ball over on every possession like some folks think.You cut the shot clock off and these games with the exception of Yates would be very interesting.

Guest ECBucFan
Remember the "Colorado Silver Bullets" womens baseball team? The [i]thought[/i] was they could take on the men, so, they tried playing a MLB minor league team, like 2A or 3A? It was a disaster. Game canceled after the men led 20 something to 0 in the first inning, and the women could not even complete the inning. They then tried lower level teams, college teams, and eventually JUCO teams. Many times they could not even complete the games. Finally, they "won" against a mens "over 50" team (or something like that).

Point is; I know that was baseball and not basketball, but the [i]idea[/i] of women beating men in sports is more of a [i]wishful thought[/i] than a reality. The 1A boys State Champion teams usually have kids that are [i]blazing fast[/i] and several that can dunk like crazy fools... 

Once again we're talking about the best womens college team ever versus 1 years state champions from Texas.This is not the best high school teams ever in the state of Texas just this years champs.You turn the shot clock off and give Gino the ball and he would take your lunch money.The Griner girl from Baylor could dunk the basketball at any time and she didn't exactly dominate the UConn club in the finals.These ladies were better than most are giving them credit for.

If you were talking soccer this would not even be a topic ;D. There is no boys state champions at any level in any state that could tangle with North Carolina, Stanford ,Florida State, Notre Dame or A&M's women's progam. Would you agree Mr. Bullets.

We have a young lady at Kelly whose speed is very respected by many of the male atheletes including my nephew who is no slouch in the 40.

You are under estimating the talent of these young ladies. Maybe the 5a and 4a champs... but it would not be land slide victories and forget about the 3a and below.

Just curious how many of these guys are going straight to the NBA?

[quote name="CoachKfan" post="784710" timestamp="1270057667"]
I think I am a pretty good judge of basketball talent and I say maybe Yates beats them.  I haven't seen any of the boys teams play that WON state but I have seen a few of the ones that could have (Kountze, HJ, Silsbee, Bullard,Chapel Hill)...and I have seen the UConn women...IMO, no way the guys win.  The argument that there is no comparison between athleticism between boys and girls may be true to an extent but, we have all seen much more athletic boys teams lose to other teams because they didn't match up skill wise.  The guys may be bigger, faster, and stronger but those women can shoot, run the floor, and defend. Geno doesn't recruit egos either and this team has great chemistry!  OConn takes at least 3 out of the 5.
[/quote]You need to turn in your "CoachK" fan club badge ::) ::)

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami