****Kevin Barbay new Warren Head coach****

Played QB at Nederland
2002 QB at Grambling for Doug Williams
2003-2004 WR Coach at Beaumont Kelly for Craig Stump (He went to WB, I got on at Baylor)
2005 Graduated from Lamar
2005-2007 Baylor Graduate Assistant (1 yr offense for Brent Pease/1 yr defense for Bill Bradley)
2007 Graduated with Master's from Baylor
2007-2008 QB & WR Coach at Texas A&M University-Commerce
2009 TE Coach (Off GA) at North Texas for Todd Dodge
2010 Warren Athletic Director/Head Football Coach

Hmmm...

I wonder about this one.  No previous head coaching experience, 27 years old, never even been a position coach in TXHS Football.  Nothing higher than a graduate assistant at a few colleges.  Anyone who played college ball knows what grad assistants do...not much.  I would like to see the list of applicants.  Were there no other options or did the Barbay name give this guys a chance he wouldn't normally get?  Someone fill me in.

[quote name="Rebel4Christ" post="781189" timestamp="1269433746"]
Hmmm...

I wonder about this one.  No previous head coaching experience, 27 years old, never even been a position coach in TXHS Football.  Nothing higher than a graduate assistant at a few colleges.  Anyone who played college ball knows what grad assistants do...not much.  I would like to see the list of applicants.  Were there no other options or did the Barbay name give this guys a chance he wouldn't normally get?  Someone fill me in.
[/quote]

first off, I have worked with Kevin at Kelly when he was a "position Coach"  Warren has a great guy who will do the school, town and kids right! To imply that his qualifications are tainted is ridiculous.  You guys in Warren just got a good one!

Guest ECBucFan
[quote name="Rebel4Christ" post="781189" timestamp="1269433746"]
Hmmm...

[/quote]

Some of each, probably. Very impressive credentials for a 27 year old,

[i][size=10pt]Played QB at Nederland
2002 QB at Grambling for Doug Williams
2003-2004 WR Coach at Beaumont Kelly for Craig Stump (He went to WB, I got on at Baylor)
2005 Graduated from Lamar
2005-2007 Baylor Graduate Assistant (1 yr offense for Brent Pease/1 yr defense for Bill Bradley)
2007 Graduated with Master's from Baylor
2007-2008 QB & WR Coach at Texas A&M University-Commerce
2009 TE Coach (Off GA) at North Texas for Todd Dodge[/size][/i]

but obviously the Barbay name, regarded as "gods" by some around here, had to help in the decision process. Never underestimate name recognition... 

Guest EagleFan01
Congrats to Kevin. Real good friend of mine I remember when he would roam the sidelines in Newton when he was younger with his Uncle Curtis. lol

His qualifications during and since college are impressive. The years he put in on the sidelines at Newton as a "ball boy" probably puts him way ahead of many coaches as to witnessing up close what it takes to win football games. He done it for a long time and was around an awful lot of talented players and coaches. But a Head coach/Athletic Director requires a lot of understanding the business side of High School sports. If the people of Warren get behind him and give him a chance, he will do a good job. Barbays are not "gods", but have proven they know about how to build winning football programs. I think Warren has a bright future, given time.

Guest ECBucFan
[quote name="ChampionEagles" post="781256" timestamp="1269441924"]
. Barbays are not "gods", but have proven they know about how to build winning football programs.
[/quote]

Barbays [i]are regarded as[/i] "gods" by some, clearly.

Guest ECBucFan
[quote name="ChampionEagles" post="781262" timestamp="1269442467"]
Mostly in EC. ;D
[/quote]

Nope. By many. Hallowed be their name.  ::)

[quote name="ChampionEagles" post="781256" timestamp="1269441924"]
His qualifications during and since college are impressive. The years he put in on the sidelines at Newton as a "ball boy" probably puts him way ahead of many coaches as to witnessing up close what it takes to win football games. He done it for a long time and was around an awful lot of talented players and coaches. But a Head coach/Athletic Director requires a lot of understanding the business side of High School sports. If the people of Warren get behind him and give him a chance, he will do a good job. Barbays are not "gods", but have proven they know about how to build winning football programs. I think Warren has a bright future, given time.
[/quote]
There is a lot of football experience in his 27 years. Give him a chance. It took his uncle from 1975 until 1998 to win his first state title as a head coach.

[quote name="ChampionEagles" post="781286" timestamp="1269444824"]
[quote author=ChampionEagles link=topic=67672.msg781256#msg781256 date=1269441924]
[/quote]
There is a lot of football experience in his 27 years. Give him a chance. It took his uncle from [b]1975 until 1998 [/b] to win his first state title as a head coach.
[/quote]

I wish Kevin all the luck in the world.  I too know Kevin and meant no disrespect by my previous post, I was simply questioning the hire of a 27 year old HC/AD with hardly any previous coaching experience.  The excitement on this board yesterday, during the anticipation of the announcement of his hiring, was a little intense.  I thought they were going to pull out a well known name with much experience, and we got Kevin Barbay.  I know about the Barbay legacy in southeast texas and that might be as much of a curse as it is a blessing.  You have to be foolish to think that if his name was Kevin Thomas he would've been Warren's choice.  The problem Kevin will have is that people in Warren will expect that program to become as successful as the Newton program because they hired a Barbay.  If you don't believe that, ask Darrell or Brian.  I am sure they have faced similar expectations.  These expectations will not allow people in Warren to wait for 23 years for that first state title.  Since they have a Barbay, they will expect it now.  Another big hurdle is the fact that he will have to compete against the other two Barbays....and their squads are loaded.  Good luck Kevin.

There were lots of winning seasons in those 23 years, but it took that long for the title. Instant gratification is the norm nowadays. If that is what is expected anywhere there will be more disappointment than satisfaction. PNG turned a corner this past season, but still no title. Kirbyville is waaaay better than ten years ago and still no title. That does not mean either of those programs are ready for another coaching change if you ask the fans I bet. The future can be bright for Warren, or can be marred with unrealistic expectations.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder